PDA

View Full Version : Scrolling to optimize?

Snakesoft
03-23-2007, 11:40 AM
First of all, compliments for the excellent work you're doing with Novashell :D

I've tried out the examples, and looks all definitely promising.. the only thing that made me worry was the scrolling.. smooth but with constant little flicks.

I just wanted to be ensured that such aspect is going to be optimized, since an uncertain scrolling could not be compensated not even with all the other great features!!

I've ran the Windows version, the computer is a Pentium 4 - 3.00 GHZ, 504 mb ram, integrated video board.

whisperstorm
03-23-2007, 05:25 PM
If you look at my post in the bugs forum I'm seeing the same thing. As you scroll it "stutters" every second or so. zoom stutter zoom stutter.. I'm seeing this on OSX.

Snakesoft
03-23-2007, 07:13 PM
.."to stutter".. right!! I was looking for a word to describe it, this sounds perfect :o

But in my case, that happens more slightly. Enough, anyway, for compromise the global feeling of the game.

Seth
03-24-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm very interested in getting it silky smooth on every machine, will take a look at the timing and tweak it a bit. If stuttering is this common something must be broken..

Some info would help me though, one, how big is your monitor (inches) and what refresh do you run at? Does it match the FPS shown if you hit Ctrl-F? Any difference in stuttering between windowed and fullscreen?

Also, if you *disable* Video->Lock at refresh, does it look any better? Ie, no stuttered, but tearing instead, or something like that?

Thanks!

Seth
03-27-2007, 12:18 PM
I've done some tweaks and think I fixed it. Please try the latest build!

whisperstorm
03-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Yes - scrolling stutter for me seems to be gone. Runs very smooth now.
OSX laptop. powerbook g4

Snakesoft
03-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Yes.. it's smoother!!
Well done ;)