PDA

View Full Version : Game Competition Anyone?

whisperstorm
03-31-2007, 06:09 PM
I was thinking it'd be fun to have a mini-game competition to help stir up some excitement for Novashell. Perhaps select a theme, then give everyone a month to build out something, and then let Seth pick the winner! Perhaps the prize may be that the winning game gets to be pre-installed along with Novashell and the other examples...

Any thoughts?

Seth
04-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Well, I'm all for it, but I don't know if we'd have enough entrants yet... who else would be up for something like that?

sphair
04-01-2007, 02:34 PM
I guess I would, if the scope was small enough. Nice way to experiment with novashell :)

whisperstorm
04-05-2007, 04:20 PM
What would make a good theme for a game competition?
Some ideas:

1) Everyone use the same art resources - do anything as long as it uses that artwork
2) Genres: shmup, adventure, rpg - create a one level self-consistent game.
3) Theme: cute em up, Robot Ninja Pirate Monkey Zombies!, green, etc.

sphair
04-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Getting good art is one of the most common obstacles in hobby game programming. So if someone could come up with a set of graphics to use in such a competition, I'd think that would be cool. But by judging by the response in this thread so far, I think we're just too few. Maybe in a few months :)

whisperstorm
04-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Yeah, perhaps once 1.0 comes around there'll be more folks to enlist :)

Danc
05-13-2007, 08:18 PM
If you are looking for a uniform set of graphics, might I recommend:

Space graphics:
http://lostgarden.com/2007/04/spacecute-prototyping-challenge-combat.html

Terrain graphics:
http://lostgarden.com/2007/05/dancs-miraculously-flexible-game.html

take care
Danc.
Proud owner of Dink Smallwood from many years ago.

whisperstorm
05-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Hey Danc! Yeah we posted about those graphics a while back : here
http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610&highlight=spacecute

Would be cool to see if folks pick up on this and build something.

Edit:
OMG those new rpg tiles are freaking awesome!

Edit2:
Danc you rock!

Seth - you might think about having these tiles in the core distribution - they would be ideal for beginning gamers.

Seth
05-14-2007, 11:41 PM
Awesome, quite an honor to have Danc visit us!! :D

I hadn't seen those new terrain tiles yet, excellent. <rubs hands evilly>

Marcus
11-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Yeah I agree, a contest of some sort would be great fun :D

Pleng
03-14-2008, 08:00 AM
A games compo would be fun, but again I think there needs to be a bigger community before it would be feasible. I also don't think there should be any restrictions on the style of game. That could get a bit boring for the judges; ie tens of games all very similar. I like the idea of having to all use the same graphical resources, so long as there is a big enough selection.

Starclopsofish
05-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Back in the Dink Days, they'd have competitions like this. The reason for having a theme or restriction on the DMOD/game is to make sure that someone developed it from scratch upon the competition's announcement, preventing someone from working on a game for months and waiting until a competition was announced.

Some examples were a "Failure" dmod, a "Weird" dmod, an "Alternate Hero" dmod (i.e. not Dink), etc. My buddy and I worked on entries to these, but never made the deadline :P