PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? - The Ethics Conundrum

tony26
05-22-2013, 10:58 AM
You're on the Titanic at the time of its sinking. Everyone you loved or ever knew has either escaped or died (but you cannot be sure).

There is 1 rescue boat left. The boat can hold 4 people, however, there are 5 strandered (including yourself). Only you know how to operate the boat, you must escape to help the boat return to safety.

The boat has 3 spots remaining. 4 people are in need of your help.

Person 1: The Doctor

The doctor is a kind man. He is usually the one who puts others in front of himself. This doctor is unlike any other as he believe he may have found a cure for AIDS. He can't be certain, but this man never lies, and it is obvious that he is telling you something that might possibly save millions of lives back home.

The crash also gave all survivors major injuries, and the chances of dying or having permantent disability on the trip back is likley. The doctor is a man who can prevent this.

The doctor is old, well passed his years (lived a good life)... but his body is in perfect condition. With luck on his side, he doesn't need a boat to survive but then again, who are we kidding?

Person 2: Pregnant With Triplets

A woman, not only scared for her life, but her future children, her disabled husband and her loving mother who depends on her everyday. This woman is quite something special, she looks familiar, but you can't quite put your finger on it.

She does not make a sound, she makes no plea that claims her life is more important than the others. She just waits quietly...

She is heavily pregnant and will most likely gived birth on the way back. Without a doctor, that could get messy.

More people, is more paranoia and more mouths to feed. The chances of making 3 healthy babies in these conditions will be no easy act.

Person 3: Best Friend

No one in the world makes you smile the way your friend does. The relationship you've built over so many years, could smoulder within a single minute. Your friend give you that look, you know it means the "I will understand" look, but for some reason your heart can't let go of the person you've loved ever since you were a kid.

The likley-hood of depression when you return home is unavoidable.

Person 4: The biologist

He is the only man who pleas for his life. He is young, and he is only concerned about his own saftey. The man is qutie rude as he makes the other survivors feel guilty.

With his selfishness, comes the resoultion to world hunger. Yes, this man has created a GM plant that can feed the ever growing population, with what some may say is for ever.

However, the plant needs fresh water supplies to survive the trip back.

Conditions:

1) You must go
2) You cannot take the Doctor's or the Biologist's cure/plant without them being on the boat.
3) The plant will definetly work, unlike the 'cure for AIDS' which may or may not.
4) The plant needs a lot of water, meaning you may not get home successfully, rendering everything useless.
5) The plant cannot use sea water.
6) Depression from leaving your friend behind is UNAVOIDABLE.

Who do you leave behind?

I'd leave behind the pregnant women. She will respect my choice. She understands that she is only 4, irrellevant people. I think she would also understand why it would simply be too hard, to control babies on a boat... they'd probably be a miscarrige despite the doctor (and even the biologist) assistance.

What about you?

Raphael Lim
05-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Save either the doctor or the biologist.Mostly the doctor.

I will find a new best friend,don't worry.

ripply
05-22-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm with you tony26 the women would have to stay, because there would be to many mouths, most likely the babies will die(cold,hungry) the women would probably die from it anyway. You need the biologist and the doctor because one can cure world hunger and maybe aids that's a big thing to cure. Your best friend I would only pick because he would be a lot easier to feed than the women and her babies. If I could I would make the womens death quick and painless. I know that sounds bad but drowning is terrible and I would never want anyone to go through that.

Marosa Minnie
05-22-2013, 06:09 PM
I really enjoy reading everything you write.
Your posts are always interesting and well written.

That being said, I always find it hard to answer these types of hypothetical questions.
I can never get past the logical factors. Like the fact that it would surely not be up to little old me to make this important decision, in fact, I'd be the one the rest chooses to leave behind.
And I wouldn't argue with them. If all my loved ones were presumed dead, I would rather let people on board who could actually overcome such a tragedy. Because I sure as hell couldn't.
Plus I don't have the cure for cancer or world hunger. It'd be selfish to save myself, or my best friend.

But for the sake of the question, I'd probably stay behind with my best friend and try to swim to shore. Being with your friend will help you gain willpower, you would motivate each other to hang on to life.
Where as the others are seemingly alone, and they have life purposes, and since they are all pregnant, doctors and biologists, they probably can't swim well.

I know staying behind is not an option, but I'm choosing someone to leave behind other than myself, so I think my answer should be valid.

Another logical option may be for us to all stay at the boat for a few days, one of us at a time swimming outside of the boat on rotation, and all of us not eating much (only enough for survival, except preggaz, she can eat) and the rest of us will lose some weight, enough weight so that the extra person could come back with us.

See, I told you I'm terrible at these sorts of questions..;)

ripply
05-22-2013, 07:25 PM
I really enjoy reading everything you write.
Your posts are always interesting and well written.

That being said, I always find it hard to answer these types of hypothetical questions.
I can never get past the logical factors. Like the fact that it would surely not be up to little old me to make this important decision, in fact, I'd be the one the rest chooses to leave behind.
And I wouldn't argue with them. If all my loved ones were presumed dead, I would rather let people on board who could actually overcome such a tragedy. Because I sure as hell couldn't.
Plus I don't have the cure for cancer or world hunger. It'd be selfish to save myself, or my best friend.

But for the sake of the question, I'd probably stay behind with my best friend and try to swim to shore. Being with your friend will help you gain willpower, you would motivate each other to hang on to life.
Where as the others are seemingly alone, and they have life purposes, and since they are all pregnant, doctors and biologists, they probably can't swim well.

I know staying behind is not an option, but I'm choosing someone to leave behind other than myself, so I think my answer should be valid.

Another logical option may be for us to all stay at the boat for a few days, one of us at a time swimming outside of the boat on rotation, and all of us not eating much (only enough for survival, except preggaz, she can eat) and the rest of us will lose some weight, enough weight so that the extra person could come back with us.

See, I told you I'm terrible at these sorts of questions..;)

Contrary to what you believe, that was a good answer. You found a way to help everyone in the fairest way. I like how you found a different way to help people. And I LOVED how you would chose to stay behind that was really sweet of you.

Ludo
05-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Because I'm the only one who knows how to use a boat I'll convince everyone that I have to get on the boat first and speed off before they question anything.
Wait, no, I'd bring my best friend with me. We're like the badass partners in crime ;)
On a (slightly) more serious note... We'd bring only enough food and water to last us the journey, leaving the rest of it behind. The doctor, pregnant woman and biologist would also be left behind. The water will be for the plant which would supply food for the team in case the other food runs out and of course to stay hydrated. The doctor will be able to help the woman give birth, and with the plant there, no number of mouths will be too many.
Meanwhile, on the boat...
Me and my friend will travel home and sleep. After sending help (naturally). While hoping the team is still safe...
~ Ludo

I've heard with proper filtering peepee is drinkable... Save all the water for the plant and let the team drink their peepee :)

Just re-read and noticed we're on a sinking boat. Well, I guess it's only me and my bezzie surviving u.o

Tehepic333
05-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Although I usually find major loopholes in things like this to exploit, I didn't this time...

If I could, I would take all of them. But make the doctor and biologist take it in turns to hang onto the side.
While one is hanging on to the side, I would teach the other the basics of how to use the boat, then continue with the three of us on shifts of sleeping, driving the boat and hanging on by the side( with two sleeping, cos I just remembered the best friend...)

If the pregnant woman went into labor, hopefully the doctor could help, and hope for the best.

It would lessen the chance of survival for all of us but at least we would all have a chance :)