PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request: Online play?

DarthDie
05-08-2007, 01:34 PM
I think it would be cool if Novashell had online play support...i dont know how hard this would be but i would love to have this feature. Oh and have you ever thought of adding 3D support? Edit: by support i mean making so you can make 3D games.

Seth
05-09-2007, 12:56 AM
I'm not really needing online play or 3D support in the game I'm working on so I currently don't have plans to add them. But later you never know?

DarthDie
05-16-2007, 01:23 AM
Update: While downloading clanlib(while waiting for help on novashell source) and checking out the documentation it looks like like clanlib already has networking built in...how hard do you think would it be to add it to novashell?After i get source (and hopefully compile) i might try and add this...

Seth
05-16-2007, 04:54 AM
How hard to add? Well, depends on your l33t skills ;) and what your specific game needs - it's difficult to do a useful "general purpose" networking system that works for all games, but if you only have to do the features your game needs it might be more manageable.

I've not looked at the CL networking stuff much, but I'd guess you'd need to be prepared to do a lot of additions/bug fixes there.

Raknet (http://www.rakkarsoft.com/) or something might make things easier.

DarthDie
05-16-2007, 12:38 PM
After posting that yeah...I thought it might be kind of difficult to make a general networking thing. Isnt raknet only free for non-commercial? Its 100$ for a single application. I think if i get novashell to work i might try and use clanlib to make multiplayer support for like a FPS.

whisperstorm
05-17-2007, 11:03 PM
While networking would be cool I hope novashell doesnt become this all encompassing codebase that loses its focus. i think making rpgs and other tile based games easy to create and share is a really good thing. dont fall into the trap of making another mmo engine.

Rrrichi
06-05-2007, 10:52 AM
There is a lot of work(bug fixes, functional coding) in novashell. The platform right now is very buggy, not all functional work. I think it's not suitable right now for making commercial scroller. So, right now is not good time to add network functionality, because even off-line functionality work bad.