PDA

View Full Version : Any techies?

jenova
02-22-2015, 11:59 PM
I took apart my friend's laptop today. Toshiba Satellite L505. She told me that at some point in the past she shut it down and it inadvertently started asking for a password she never put on it. I told her I would take a look at it. I fix a lot of the IT stuff in our house so I thought I would give it a whirl.

I did a lot of online research to try and figure out the root of the problem. I removed the hard drive and booted the machine which still asked for a password so narrowed down the problem to being a BIOS password issue. I couldn't find much online evidence to support any virus or trojan doing this, so still no idea how it got to this state. I brute force tried a few passwords like admin, password, also tried typing nothing and hitting Enter. Three failed attempts shuts the computer down, but it can be booted right back up.

After determining the problem was the BIOS, I went into the BIOS menu at boot up to try to see if I could access the password or change it, but, alas, this requires you to type in the current password.

Resolved not to give up, I read through lots of forums and saw one idea about removing the BIOS battery. I thought, eh, no big deal, take out the RAM and the battery should be nearby on the motherboard somewhere. Wrong! I spent probably a good hour taking the laptop completely apart (thanks Youtube) with my husband's help with small screwdrivers, etc. There had to be about 50 screws in various places all in the laptop. Fast forward an hour until I can finally get a look at the motherboard after unplugging various tiny plugs and ribbons, and the stupid battery was SOLDERED to the motherboard!
Fortunately, I have a soldering iron :) I called my friend and she told me the thing was a brick to her anyway, so go ahead and see if I could do anything. We removed the solder joints so we could disconnect the battery and I let it sit for fifteen minutes or so. I carefully soldered the battery back and began the painstaking process of putting it all back together.

I actually wasn't sure that anything would work at all once it was all back together. Good news..it did work. Bad news..it's still asking for a password!

So, now I give up..anyone know anything about taking these things apart or how to bypass a BIOS password on Toshiba Satellite?

ParkourDevil
02-23-2015, 12:15 AM
There's couple of programs that can crack your password. However many of them are viruses, download as your own risk

Brennanber
02-23-2015, 02:21 AM
I took apart my friend's laptop today. Toshiba Satellite L505. She told me that at some point in the past she shut it down and it inadvertently started asking for a password she never put on it. I told her I would take a look at it. I fix a lot of the IT stuff in our house so I thought I would give it a whirl.

I did a lot of online research to try and figure out the root of the problem. I removed the hard drive and booted the machine which still asked for a password so narrowed down the problem to being a BIOS password issue. I couldn't find much online evidence to support any virus or trojan doing this, so still no idea how it got to this state. I brute force tried a few passwords like admin, password, also tried typing nothing and hitting Enter. Three failed attempts shuts the computer down, but it can be booted right back up.

After determining the problem was the BIOS, I went into the BIOS menu at boot up to try to see if I could access the password or change it, but, alas, this requires you to type in the current password.

Resolved not to give up, I read through lots of forums and saw one idea about removing the BIOS battery. I thought, eh, no big deal, take out the RAM and the battery should be nearby on the motherboard somewhere. Wrong! I spent probably a good hour taking the laptop completely apart (thanks Youtube) with my husband's help with small screwdrivers, etc. There had to be about 50 screws in various places all in the laptop. Fast forward an hour until I can finally get a look at the motherboard after unplugging various tiny plugs and ribbons, and the stupid battery was SOLDERED to the motherboard!
Fortunately, I have a soldering iron :) I called my friend and she told me the thing was a brick to her anyway, so go ahead and see if I could do anything. We removed the solder joints so we could disconnect the battery and I let it sit for fifteen minutes or so. I carefully soldered the battery back and began the painstaking process of putting it all back together.

I actually wasn't sure that anything would work at all once it was all back together. Good news..it did work. Bad news..it's still asking for a password!

So, now I give up..anyone know anything about taking these things apart or how to bypass a BIOS password on Toshiba Satellite?

A reason why BIOS is supposed to live up to its "unwritable" name. All I can say is google (http://m.wikihow.com/Break-a-BIOS-Password) or get a new motherboard. (Which would be more annoying for laptops :/)

Side thought*
Seeing computer threads on here where someone actually knows what they're talking about:

http://youtu.be/NWD7iqtOJSE

jenova
02-24-2015, 02:24 AM
I'm not a tech guy but... call toshiba customer support and they might be able to give you a overide code (might be might not.... they might be able to help you even if they don't)
Sorry that this isn't very helpful:eek:

Actually, it is the most sensible and most suggested choice. I think they charge $100 to help out. Was just trying to help my friend out for free :)