PDA

View Full Version : Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

Hylander
12-04-2007, 01:37 AM
Seth:

I was a mainframe programmer back in the late 70's to mid 80's, so my experience in programming was centered around Assembler, RPGII, and COBOL, with just a smattering of Basic and Fortran on acassion.

Now in later life I find myself partially disabled, drawing SSD, and having quite a bit of time on my hands. I have always been an avid Fantasy RPG player, and like most came up through the old DOS ranks with M&M, FF, Exile, etc.. I recently found the Dink Network site, and the "old Gaming spark" was rekindled.

I guess where I am going with this, is to ask your impression and feedback on whether or not I should try game programming, and if it would be fairly easy to "pick up" on in learning the basics. I am not an avid reader any more, as I am blind in one eye, and large amounts of reading small print often produces unwanted migraines, of which I can definitely do without. :-(

However, I do enjoy playing fantasy RPGs, and I am in hopes that learning to make them would be just as enjoyable, if the programming was easy enough to grasp.

I would appreciate your feedback on this concept, and thank you for your time and consideration in taking the time out to peruse my rant.

Seth
12-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Well, I personally have a lot of fun programming and designing games (especially RPG's) so I can only recommend it for anybody at any age.

There are a million ways to go about it but I think a good way to start is modding. It's less low level then say, writing a game engine from scratch and you get a lot of people who are willing to play and test your stuff.

So what to mod? Well, there is Dink, and later, Novashell should be a good candidate. (I wouldn't mess with it yet, it's just not done..)

There are some other good RPG-like 'game makers' out there too, but I don't have any experience with them. I would say, don't buy something like Torque and try to make an RPG with it, too much work!