PDA

View Full Version : English - How to write a letter.

THICKE.
05-11-2015, 07:45 PM
Today I will be going through a few steps for writing a letter for your English exams. Informal or formal.

1: The format of a letter. The format is pretty easy when it comes to writing a letter. First of all you need to write your address or where you are sending the letter from. Then you will need to write the receivers address. Once you have done both addresses you will have to write dear sir/Madame if you do not know the name of the people you are sending the letter to. However if you do know their name you will need to write dear Mr.Thompson or Mrs.Thompson, completing this steps means you next you need to write why you are writing the letter to them. Continue writing the letter until you are ready to finish the letter then you. Need to end on a conclusion about what you want the company to do about the current subject. Last of all finish with Yours faithfully if you don't personally know them, yours sincerley if you do know their name.

David Trent
112 Hartfield Road. <---- Your Address
Milton Keynes
Ts45 1OT

Green Grocery
19 Boulebard Avenue <---- Recievers Address
New York
Ts12 LH2

Dear Sir/Madame

2: Formal Letter - If you are planning to write a formal letter you will need to use formal language. For example you should not use abbreviations. What is abbreviations? Abbreviations is something like Don't, haven't or can't. Do not use these use the correct saying e.g. Do not, have not and can not. Another thing is to be careful about using slang language for example. U. A formal language will go to a company about a complaint or persuading them. Use yours faithfully since you do not know their name.

3: Informal Letter - If you are planning to write an informal letter. You will not have to use formal language. An informal letter will go to your friends or family. Which in this case use should use Yours sincerley at the end of the letter.

I have written this to inform you guys. As of the other day I wrote a post about helping you with your English exams. Using correct grammar etc. I have gotten quite a few replies so I'd thought it would be easier to write another thread about informal and formal letters. Instead of sending a lot of personal messages. If I have missed anything out you need help with please don't be shy and reply below or send me a personal message.

THICKE.
05-11-2015, 08:16 PM
:confused:

I told everyone that I'm helping them with English since I've saw a lot of people with terrible grammar. Just check out my signature about this. Location - English - Helping you through your exams

Conan
05-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Different countries have different styles of writing, even if its in english

To all reading to get help:
Why not jsut study your books and listen to your teacher when they teach?

If you don't know something or confused how to do something, ask them they will be the ones who can surely help.

THICKE.
05-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Different countries have different styles of writing, even if its in english

To all reading to get help:
Why not jsut study your books and listen to your teacher when they teach?

If you don't know something or confused how to do something, ask them they will be the ones who can surely help.

I'm just offering help myself. Some website can be complicated to some people. This is why I've written it in brief sentences. I also know that countries have different styles of writing this is why I also get their styles and add them into these threads I shall be creating. Such as the way they spell things for example in Britain we spell colour and yet in America and other places they spell it like this, color. I still get them off websites and make them brief. Anyways some people might think this is helpful, I'm not saying they have to use it.

Pretty
05-12-2015, 03:40 AM
I'm just offering help myself. Some website can be complicated to some people. This is why I've written it in brief sentences. I also know that countries have different styles of writing this is why I also get their styles and add them into these threads I shall be creating. Such as the way they spell things for example in Britain we spell colour and yet in America and other places they spell it like this, color. I still get them off websites and make them brief. Anyways some people might think this is helpful, I'm not saying they have to use it.

British English and American English. Variations in spelling and pronunciation, yet they're both acceptable here in my country. The meaning of the word is what matters, anyway. Lol. Good luck with your threads and the future ones! Cheerio! :D

26FtW26
05-12-2015, 05:09 AM
Holy merry mother of joseph.

BoyNinja
05-12-2015, 08:08 PM
Thanks so much!!! This really helped me!:o:hug:

Mr.Hankey
05-12-2015, 09:42 PM
I told everyone that I'm helping them with English since I've saw a lot of people with terrible grammar. Just check out my signature about this. Location - English - Helping you through your exams
I think you meant I've seen.
Not I've saw. :sweatdrop:

THICKE.
05-12-2015, 11:31 PM
I think you meant I've seen.
Not I've saw. :sweatdrop:

Actually you can use both sayings.

Mr.Hankey
05-12-2015, 11:34 PM
Actually you can use both sayings.
Ah, but of course. My bad.