PDA

View Full Version : invisible walls..

harrio
02-18-2008, 12:50 AM
hey shellerz,

i'm making a pacman clone, for learning purposes, and i want to overlay collision obstacles over the maze walls in the main level map.

i tried using the 'invisible wall' in the sys pallette but soon realized that i cannot create different collision shapes for the maze because the collisions i setup effect all the 'wall' entities on the map.

so will i have to make about 21 different wall entities as i fear, or is there a way to paste one wall entity 21 times and then somehow make them seperate items so i can setup custom collision shapes?

i think i know the answer...ugh, but i was hoping for a reprieve from someone who knows more than me.

Seth
02-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Hmm, is it possible to make the squares smaller, so you only have to use one, then you could use that to make bigger shapes, then you could throw them on a temp map for easy cutting and pasting as a group.

You are right, there is no way to assign multiple shapes for the same static piece. (Edit one, they all change)

Something to know is that if you cut a slightly different sized piece out of it, it WILL get its own collision data. (for instance, if you used the same image to make another static piece but 1 pixel less in width or such)

harrio
02-18-2008, 05:27 PM
hey seth,

i think i understand what you are suggesting. correct me if i'm wrong.

you suggest using a small 'invisible wall' block as a sort of leggo or building block to shape the collision areas. i don't know why i didn't think of that before. essentially thats what was done in the 'dragoneggs' tutorial, except it was rocks instead of invisible walls.

well, i already built the collisions the hard way..add verts..adjust verts...doh...del verts...adjust...doh...add...

but i will definately use that method in the future to shape custom collision shapes. by the way, i just made one small white box in 'paint' and then renamed it w1, w2, w3... for each wall section i had to build.

also, i tried to make the '+' sections on the pacman board by using the edit collision window (reference paragraph 3), it would build the '+' perfectly in edit mode but every time i saved, it became some horrid, twisted brundlefly experiment. is there some algorithmic reason that this occurs?

thanks for the help...