PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Guide to Quilling -EASY CRAFTS- Or just look at the masterpieces.

Tohru
06-25-2015, 12:06 AM
I'm sure more than 90% of you don't know what quilling is. It's actually a beautiful piece of art made from thin strips of paper and glue, of course with other materials in the background. This new style of art is a peaceful, exquisite, and simply beautiful way to unleash your inner artistic selves. Here's an example (click on the picture to enlarge it):
I made this singular flower; it seems quite easy but it took me half an hour to make it. The petals were supposed to be six of them but I decided, why not 4?

You like what you see so far? If you want to start, you'll need the materials first.
MATERIALS:
-Thin strips of paper; some come in specialized packages. They come in various colors.
-Glue; I'm not sure if you should use a glue stick, but something that dries quickly and easily into a transparent shade thingie. I used Elmer's Glue since it came in my kit.
-Circle Sizer will help you follow instructions in a book and hold the loose circles in place when you don't have a corkboard and pins.
Here's a chart for a better understanding (I hope it shows up correctly)
CIRCLE SIZE. Length of paper INCHES. CM
Size 0. 16" or over. 45cm or over
Size 1. 16" or over. 45cm or over
Size 2. 12" to 16". 30cm to 45cm
Size 3. 8" to 10". 20cm to 25cm
Size 4. 8". 20cm
Size 5. 6". 15cm
Size 6. 4". 10cm

-Slotted tool is an easier way to roll up the pieces of paper.
As you can guess, it has a little slot. Here's a short direction guide how to use them:
1. Measure the paper to the specific length.
2. Rotate the tool in either direction to roll the strip around the tool.
3. Remove coil from tool by pushing underneath the coil.

-Needle tool will help glue the paper strips together in order to complete the closed coil. Although it can be used by more advanced quillers, the thin point of the needle will help get to small places where your finger can't.

-Tweezers will help place your tiny circles onto your larger creations, making it much easier to glue on to make even bigger pieces of art. They're quite sharp, so be careful! They often come with a little grippy thingie holder to avoid accidental pricks from the pointy edges. They can also be used like the needle tool, but I wouldn't recommend it.

*Cleaning your tools.*
1. Use a wet paper towel instead of wetting it with actual water under the faucet.
2. Lay them out in the towel for a while.
3. Dry them with a dry paper towel, and use the tools to get small places.
4. Some of the tools (like the needle) can switch sides. Remove the needle from the handle by simply pulling it away from the purple gripping handle and clean the bottom, too.

I will add more later. Some attachments aren't working sorrh.

Aly
06-25-2015, 12:18 AM
Oh wow! That looks rly cool.

Whenever I try arts and crafts it ends up looking like crap.

CaveMan
06-25-2015, 12:20 AM
I'm sure more than 90% of you don't know what quilling is. It's actually a beautiful piece of art made from thin strips of paper and glue, of course with other materials in the background. This new style of art is a peaceful, exquisite, and simply beautiful way to unleash your inner artistic selves. Here's an example (click on the picture to enlarge it):
I made this singular flower; it seems quite easy but it took me half an hour to make it. The petals were supposed to be six of them but I decided, why not 4?

You like what you see so far? If you want to start, you'll need the materials first.
MATERIALS:
-Thin strips of paper; some come in specialized packages. They come in various colors.
-Glue; I'm not sure if you should use a glue stick, but something that dries quickly and easily into a transparent shade thingie. I used Elmer's Glue since it came in my kit.
-Circle Sizer will help you follow instructions in a book and hold the loose circles in place when you don't have a corkboard and pins.
Here's a chart for a better understanding (I hope it shows up correctly)
CIRCLE SIZE. Length of paper INCHES. CM
Size 0. 16" or over. 45cm or over
Size 1. 16" or over. 45cm or over
Size 2. 12" to 16". 30cm to 45cm
Size 3. 8" to 10". 20cm to 25cm
Size 4. 8". 20cm
Size 5. 6". 15cm
Size 6. 4". 10cm

-Slotted tool is an easier way to roll up the pieces of paper.
As you can guess, it has a little slot. Here's a short direction guide how to use them:
1. Measure the paper to the specific length.
2. Rotate the tool in either direction to roll the strip around the tool.
3. Remove coil from tool by pushing underneath the coil.

-Needle tool will help glue the paper strips together in order to complete the closed coil. Although it can be used by more advanced quillers, the thin point of the needle will help get to small places where your finger can't.

-Tweezers will help place your tiny circles onto your larger creations, making it much easier to glue on to make even bigger pieces of art. They're quite sharp, so be careful! They often come with a little grippy thingie holder to avoid accidental pricks from the pointy edges. They can also be used like the needle tool, but I wouldn't recommend it.

*Cleaning your tools.*
1. Use a wet paper towel instead of wetting it with actual water under the faucet.
2. Lay them out in the towel for a while.
3. Dry them with a dry paper towel, and use the tools to get small places.
4. Some of the tools (like the needle) can switch sides. Remove the needle from the handle by simply pulling it away from the purple gripping handle and clean the bottom, too.

I will add more later. Some attachments aren't working sorrh.

Wow!However I'm bad at these things.

Tohru
06-25-2015, 12:23 AM
Oh wow! That looks rly cool.

Whenever I try arts and crafts it ends up looking like crap.

Wow!However I'm bad at these things.

Don't worry, I'm sure you both are very good somehow :)

CaveMan
06-25-2015, 12:31 AM
Don't worry, I'm sure you both are very good somehow :)

Hmm.Don't belive that much.From art class I get 0 xD

JokersEnigma
06-25-2015, 05:01 AM
So gonna try this the moment my confidence in arts and crafts regenerates...we have a love/hate relationship.