PDA

View Full Version : Gaming - The Advantage Lies In Your Brain

26FtW26
07-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Hey guys. Today I'll be talking about a pretty hefty subject so, if I say anything wrong, please correct me (with research) and I'll try to fix the post. But then again, all my info is taken from a pretty reliable source so let's see.

I am talking about... gaming.

Winning at a game(s) has many aspects, such as skill, experience and purchases/upgrades (depends on the game).

But the one aspect people hardly ever talk about is the human brain. When you think about a balanced game, what comes into your mind? Probably balanced weapons, gear, teams etc. You might think that every aspect of balance in a game is programmed into it by the developers. But no. Some of the most game-changing aspects of a game are balanced into your brain.

Take for instance, colors. Red and Blue are probably the most commonly used colors for teams in games. While it may not make a lot of sense to most people, colors can be quite an unbalance. Many studies have shown that in competetive games the red team seems to do much better the blue team (statistically speaking). And this isn't only for games, either. It turns out that, in sports, athletes wearing red tend to do much better than athletes wearing blue (again, statistics). Surprising, isn't it?

This is because the human brain associates the color red with power, danger etc.

But, there is a problem. In games like League of Legends, where red and blue are also the team colors, those statistics seem to either flip or actually be balanced with only a few % differences. Why is that? This time, the answer lies in the game you're playing.
To make this easier, let's compare LoL to TF2 (both of which use red and blue for teams).

Team Fortress 2 (aka TF2) is a fast-paced FPS shooter that consists mostly of killing your enemies and completing the objective (deliver the bomb to the enemy base, ctf etc), where being a team player isn't actually THAT important (which is kind of ironic IMO).

LoL or Dota 2 on the other hand are strategy games that need clear and fast thinking. That's where blue comes in.
The color blue encourages creative and long term thinking, and relaxation. Needless to say, those 3 are very important in MOBA games like LoL/Dota 2.

If this hasn't been enough, there's more.

PS: Some people may not find the next information appropriate for children.

Another factor is sexual appeal. It's proven that sexual appeal can slow down someone's reaction time so much as 8 TIMES!

The average reaction time of a male is about 250-270 ms. Add the distraction and that number can go up to 2000 ms aka 2 WHOLE seconds!
Talking about reaction time, the average female's reaction time is naturally slower than a males. Isn't that kind of crazy?

In games like DoA (Dead or Alive), some comp tournament matchmakers know this and have actually banned some of the more sexually appealing skins/clothes/whatever because of their effect on a heterosexual male's reaction time.
"BUT THIS DOESN'T AFFECT THE PRO PLAYERS SOMEHOW?!?!?", you might be yelling. Well, after time the sexual appeal wears down and the player's reaction time starts getting normal again.

While LoL/Dota 2 may not have as sexually idiotic*(my comment on this below) skins/armor for female characters as a game like DoA, that still applies for the game.

*someone goes to battle in a bikini, seems legit.

That's all on this subject. It was a fun thingy to write, hope you enjoyed it, too.

Sources:
MatPat (Youtube)
Wikipedia
Other sites regarding statistics and whatnot

lukj2001
07-03-2015, 02:46 PM
time to get to challenger

26FtW26
07-03-2015, 02:47 PM
time to get to challenger

???????????????????????

BioTestificate
07-03-2015, 02:49 PM
All I can say for now is bravo!

And yeah, experiencing the last thingy you just said, though they don't do me that much "damage".

Mark Chong
07-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Lol I watche Matpat's vids:crazy:

26FtW26
07-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Bumpity Humpity Dump

PolarisHD
07-03-2015, 05:27 PM
About the * thing. It's a game. Most games aren't supposed to be realistic. I mean DoA was pretty much made to appeal to the male audience. Idk about its competetive side, but I don't think it's fair to call it "sexually idiotic" just because it doesn't fit on the competetive side.

Edit: Can't reply to you right now. I gtg. I'll answer it when I come back.

Invalid
07-03-2015, 05:44 PM
tl;dr

tl;dr = I said tl;dr

Cortana
07-03-2015, 05:47 PM
Other than skill and experience in Gaming

You also need Tactics and Pure Luck...
Without these, basically you fail at Gaming

26FtW26
07-03-2015, 06:56 PM
About the * thing. It's a game. Most games aren't supposed to be realistic. I mean DoA was pretty much made to appeal to the male audience. Idk about its competetive side, but I don't think it's fair to call it "sexually idiotic" just because it doesn't fit on the competetive side.

Edit: Can't reply to you right now. I gtg. I'll answer it when I come back.

I mean, sure. But that's not all I am talking about. LoL has also picked up a bit of that.

- - - Updated - - -

I was just pointing out a few key elements.

PotatoMarco
07-03-2015, 06:59 PM
ok woah this is actually cool

Hans
07-03-2015, 07:05 PM

If it's a casual game, obviously you need luck. I've played other FPS shooters before, console, or PC. I've been playing since I was 6-7 years old, because of that, I have the hang on things. Like how you can quick-scope, or choose semi-automatic handguns, rather than high-recoil automatic guns. Both does not share the same fire-power, but if you think about it, two elite pistols is better than a single AK47 with such high-recoil.

Since a semi-automatic pistol would have low recoil (in any fps game, or maybe 0 recoil at all.), it's a wise choice if you don't like aiming, and loves to press the mouse countless of times.

It's in your acknowledgement on what you're better on, and your reflexes not to scramble what to press. (E.g Duck > fire > jump > clicks duck accidentally. It ruins your choreography on your tactic)

And on MOBA games, you might really want to work on your team work on that. And with that, you should buy preferable set of items. (E.g High attack speed + Life steal + High health + High defense + Low skill recharge time)

Pure luck is something anyone new to a game would need, but it would feel him with conceit, so it's not reccomended.