PDA

View Full Version : Mac Help

MrQB
07-25-2015, 03:44 AM
Hey guys so I'm planning on buying a Mac soon. But I don't know which one to get. Should I get a MacBook Pro (laptop) or an iMac (desktop). They both cost $2000 roughly. From what I know, the MacBook Pro had absolutely no lag, whereas the iMac has a little bit of lag, but is still super fast. Also, my parents are divorced so it would be convenient if I could easily move it between houses. Please let me know your opinion!

ElectroDream
07-25-2015, 03:47 AM
I got Macbook air because it's lighter and it's cool. My mom has Macbook pro, tried it and it's really similar. You should get it. 13" recommended, maybe with 256GB storage. Easy to carry too, my parents are divorced too. Bet you know how hard it is to keep 'moving houses'. And you can also bring it to school to do projects or whatsoever.

MrQB
07-25-2015, 03:54 AM
I got Macbook air because it's lighter and it's cool. My mom has Macbook pro, tried it and it's really similar. You should get it. 13" recommended, maybe with 256GB storage. Easy to carry too, my parents are divorced too. Bet you know how hard it is to keep 'moving houses'. And you can also bring it to school to do projects or whatsoever.

Thank you for your opinion :)

peck
07-25-2015, 05:14 AM
I'm guessing you saw this post coming telling you apple is a bad choice for computers, but you should do a little research before you go to spend $2000. For about $1200 you could get a laptop that performs maybe twice as good as either of those options and last years longer. Apples 150% markup on their pc's mixes with their not-so-great OS, though its GUI is nice and fluid, its as you probably know, very incompatible with many useful indie-style programs and a virus on a mac can be TONS more dangerous than one on a windows despite them being more uncommon. Apples previous history with viruses have been covering them up and only fixing them for certain OS while ignoring customers, because they don't release frequent virus protection updates: you're at a large risk for more dangerous, better made viruses.

MrQB
07-25-2015, 01:25 PM
I'm guessing you saw this post coming telling you apple is a bad choice for computers, but you should do a little research before you go to spend $2000. For about $1200 you could get a laptop that performs maybe twice as good as either of those options and last years longer. Apples 150% markup on their pc's mixes with their not-so-great OS, though its GUI is nice and fluid, its as you probably know, very incompatible with many useful indie-style programs and a virus on a mac can be TONS more dangerous than one on a windows despite them being more uncommon. Apples previous history with viruses have been covering them up and only fixing them for certain OS while ignoring customers, because they don't release frequent virus protection updates: you're at a large risk for more dangerous, better made viruses.

I know but the MacBook Pro is so powerful. I'm going to need to be using Photoshop, Iluustrator, After Effects, and iMovie all at the same time, as I am a graphic designer. Plus, the Mac is very similar to an iPhone, and I'm very familiar with an iPhone. Not to mention I can easily sync my photos, iMessage, and FaceTime easily. I understand that Apple might not be the most durable computer, but I've supported Apple for many years and even if this doesn't work out, I have a newer Windows computer. I just like Apple's simple and easy-to-use a setup a lot better.

Ninjamir
07-25-2015, 02:36 PM
I know but the MacBook Pro is so powerful. I'm going to need to be using Photoshop, Iluustrator, After Effects, and iMovie all at the same time, as I am a graphic designer. Plus, the Mac is very similar to an iPhone, and I'm very familiar with an iPhone. Not to mention I can easily sync my photos, iMessage, and FaceTime easily. I understand that Apple might not be the most durable computer, but I've supported Apple for many years and even if this doesn't work out, I have a newer Windows computer. I just like Apple's simple and easy-to-use a setup a lot better.

from personal experience since I have run all those apps on my mac book pro, it gets really laggy with 2 of them open so If you do buy a mac dont get the usual 4gb ones get a 8gb or 16gb one although once you pay them the money you gotta wait a while since its a custom order its not usually available locally

ImNotAmerican
07-25-2015, 02:40 PM
My parents' iMac has 1 TB and has no lag. Good for Minecraft and Growtopia.
They also have a 500 GB MacBook Pro, which has no lag either.

I'd suggest that you'd buy the MacBook, since it is portable. And can be still used if there's a brown out.

Dexter
07-25-2015, 02:46 PM
Hey guys so I'm planning on buying a Mac soon. But I don't know which one to get. Should I get a MacBook Pro (laptop) or an iMac (desktop). They both cost $2000 roughly. From what I know, the MacBook Pro had absolutely no lag, whereas the iMac has a little bit of lag, but is still super fast. Also, my parents are divorced so it would be convenient if I could easily move it between houses. Please let me know your opinion!

Tip: Don't buy mac at all. Overpriced bullpoop.
2k For a crappy mac? Hell no.. I can get an custom build killer pc with that!!

I know but the MacBook Pro is so powerful
Well, It is powerfull, but cant handle bigger games. You get more power with just custom building an pc.

XDCorez
07-25-2015, 03:26 PM

Wait, wait, wait.
You're gonna pay for Photoshop? But i think i'll go with Electro's suggestion.

MrQB
07-25-2015, 05:31 PM
from personal experience since I have run all those apps on my mac book pro, it gets really laggy with 2 of them open so If you do buy a mac dont get the usual 4gb ones get a 8gb or 16gb one although once you pay them the money you gotta wait a while since its a custom order its not usually available locally

Um, first of all, a MacBook Pro has a lot more storage than 16gb. Are you talking about RAM?

Herac
07-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Right now Im rocking a 2014 MacBook Air 13 inch. If you are going to buy a MacBook and not go hardcore gaming (Like trying to plug your Xbox in it) I would go with The MacBook Air 13 inch. Do not buy the 2015 Mac Book Air, personally I do not like it, the keys are too close together. MY MacBook air runs game likes GT great, Minecraft great, and Steam pretty well. It's also nice to put it on your lap and write papers because it's light.

Did I actually help someone???

I would go with a MacBook Pro 15" with Retina display, Macs are a lot more powerful than Window skrubs like TopKek69 say they are.

DumbOldDoor
07-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Suggestion: Don't buy a mac:crazy:

Herac
07-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Suggestion: Don't buy a mac:crazy:

Pfffffffffft....... Windows skrub

Herac
07-25-2015, 06:22 PM
If you're getting the computer for games like, CS:GO, Tf2, and many other games like that, I advise you don't buy it. My friend has a MacBook Pro, and he's soon getting a windows computer to replace it, as gaming the MacBooks is pretty bad (according to him). I advise you get a good window computer for tons cheaper.

He must have a really old Mac because my Mac runs great with CS:GO and TF2 and Gt and Minecraft.

TheWizard
07-25-2015, 06:30 PM
Don't know... I paid 1700EUR in total for my PC and it ran way better than my Brother's Mac Book pro (not sure about iMac) And If you want a true answer, even my friend's 700EUR laptop ran better than Macbook pro, so i'd suggest PC or iMac. :hat:. my Brother has this https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/ (15 - inches)

peck
07-25-2015, 06:52 PM

Using multiple adobe is RAM intensive, not much to do with being powerful. In the hand of a processor, they're charging you almost twice as much for i7 intels, so you could buy one better than theirs for cheaper. When I plug it into a calculator they would charge you $130 for 1600mhz DDR3 8gb RAM. Or you could spend $60 online for 1600mhz DDR3 8gb RAM, thus you could probably get 16gb for the cost apple would charge for 8gb. Really the macbook pro isn't even close to as powerful as the price has people believe it to be.

Aside from that all your other reasons are understandable, just know that the money is going more into the branding than the actual pc.

- - - Updated - - -

my Mac runs great with CS:GO and TF2 and Gt and Minecraft.
ugh another one of you guys
Okay it's 2015 lets forget all that nerdy specification garbage and price : power ratios. This will be the generation we do benchmarking and power based on ""CAN YOU RUN MINECRAFT AND GROWTOPIA AT 60Fps EVEN WITH *GASP* FANCY SETTINGS TURNED ON!!!""

MrQB
07-26-2015, 01:55 AM
If you're getting the computer for games like, CS:GO, Tf2, and many other games like that, I advise you don't buy it. My friend has a MacBook Pro, and he's soon getting a windows computer to replace it, as gaming the MacBooks is pretty bad (according to him). I advise you get a good window computer for tons cheaper.

Did you even read the quote you replied to? It's for graphic design work not games