PDA

View Full Version : DirectX VS OpenGL

Akolade
08-06-2002, 08:49 PM
Just wondering what Seth's or anyones opinion is on DirectX (Direct3D specifically) vs OpenGL.

I noticed Tarzan uses DirectX so I assume Teenage Lawnmower does. This is what I was planning on learning too. But then I noticed that the majority of the other entries in the 4 Elements competition use OpenGL.

Just wondering why you (Seth) went with Direct3D? I have found that books on DirectX are easier to find so I was going to start learning that, yet OpenGL seems to be quite popular with the coding website community..

Is it just a matter of taste? Is DirectX tastier? Mmm.

Thanks.

Eldron
08-07-2002, 12:41 AM
well, there was an article about this on gamedev.. but Im too lazy to find it..

But they are both equal in speed, depending on the drivers ofcourse for your video card..

But opengl is then.. portable.. where as directx is just windows, (and xbox)..

But then again, almost everyone is running windows..

I myself prefer opengl, due to its simplicity compared to directx, and it being C-native..

Seth
08-07-2002, 04:13 AM
Yeah, what Eldron said.

People can get into religious like arguements over which is better to use but the bottom line is they are both 3d api's and if you know one the other isn't really that difficult to learn, just new syntax for the most part.

The underlying math and concepts are the same, in either case you're still sending a hell of a lot of triangles to a graphics card.

Akolade
08-07-2002, 02:15 PM
Triangles, got it.
When I took Computer Graphics at University we had to do all the math with no API's. Matrices and all that.
Then 2 years later, they start using OpenGL. Jeez.
My rotating star with no backsides was pretty amazing though..ya.

But anyways, since I already own a book on DirectX I might as well start with that. Does anyone know of any good books that are more game oriented that are good?
I saw a book called "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus " which looks pretty good. The second edition is DirectX 8 so I may order that.

Thanks for your help guys.

I knew that was a loaded question, that's why I asked here and not on gamedev or something. That could turn as ugly as the American Idol message boards when you say Justin sucks in the Justin message board. Ouch.

MacGyver
08-16-2002, 04:18 AM
I use DirectX myself, and from what I understand, Direct3d only supports tri's, as in three-point polygons. OpenGL is supposed to support quads (four points), which would make some things easier to do. I'd have to go read up on it again to be sure though.

Eldron
08-20-2002, 10:46 AM
well, I dont think that is the fact with d3d, But all 3d hardware is optimized for triangles, so if you make a four vertex plane in opengl it will be made triangles by the hardware, so it's always better to work with triangles directly, or better.. triangle strips..