PDA

View Full Version : needing your help deciding

hodotd
07-30-2015, 12:04 AM
i wanted a laptop for christmas, (this year) and apparently i ended up with a chromebook c720. (apparently said the fastest, best, virus proof, and lightweight laptop around) since growtopia is broken for ME, (i'm missing out :'( ) i really wanted to go back in time to ask for a WINDOWS laptop. ever since then i found a way to get out of the madness, by following these steps by linux.com:

"1. Back up your data. Before we start poking around, please ensure that you have a back-up of your data. Since all of your data is synced to Google Server, you actually don’t have to worry about losing any data. The only data that you must make a back-up of is the ‘Download’ folder because the content of this folder is not synced. Once you have taken the back-up, it’s also a fail-safe plan to create a restore USB of ChromeOS, in case something goes wrong and you need to re-install ChromeOS.

2. Create a restore image for ChromeOS. Since Crouton is not going to wipe your Chrome OS, there is no risk of corrupting your Chrome OS. It’s always a good idea to keep a restore image of your OS.

Install Chromebook recovery utility from the Chrome web store. Open the app and follow the instructions to create the recovery drive. It’s an easy three-step, click next process. All you need is working Internet and a USB drive with at least 4GB space.

3. Enable developer mode. In order to install your own operating system on Chromebooks, you have to enable the developer mode. It’s extremely easy to do and is very well documented by Google. The latest Chromebooks use a combination of keys to enter the developer mode, whereas older devices have a
physical switch. Different devices have different locations for the switch, so please Google your device to find the location of the switch and flip it. If you are on the latest Chromebook then you can enable the developer mode by holding Esc + Refresh keys and then push the ‘power’ button. The recovery screen will show a "scary" warning. Just ignore it and let Chrome OS wipe your data. The process can take up to 15 minutes, so don’t turn off your Chromebook.

4. Let's install Crouton. 1- Log into your Chromebook and open the GitHub page of Crouton and download the latest script.

Check the download folder to see if crouton is downloaded.

2- Open the terminal in Chromebook (yes, there is now a terminal in Chromebook! by hitting Alt+Ctrl+t

3 -Type this command to open shell: shell

5. Now we are going to install Ubuntu. There are several desktop environments available including KDE Plasma, Unity and Xfce. Unity can be quite heavy for Chromebook hardware and xfce is way too plain for our taste, so we are going to install KDE Plasma.

sudo sh ~/Downloads/crouton -t kde

(If you don’t want KDE, then you can replace kde with xfce, or unity )

For example:

sudo sh ~/Downloads/crouton -t xfce

We have not encrypted the chroot, if you want to encrypt it then add -e parameter to the command above:

sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -t kde

If you are installing it on a Chromebook with touchscreen then also add the ‘touch’ parameter:

sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -t touch,kde

Since the script will download Ubuntu from the Internet, depending on your broadband speed, it may take a while, so go and grab some Indian chai or coffee. Say with our 150Mbps download speed it took us around 18 minutes. Once the install is finished Crouton will ask you to enter the user-name and UNIX password for it - which will be used to perform administrative tasks in Kubuntu.

Now you can start Plasma by running the following command in shell:

sudo startkde

If you installed xfce then run:

sudo startxfce4

You will be greeted by the KDE greeter, and Ubuntu will start up then.

Enjoy Ubuntu!

Extra Tip!

How to switch between Chromebook and Ubuntu

To go back to Chrome OS, and keep KDE running, use this key combination Alt+Ctrl+Shift+Back. To come back to Kubuntu from Chrome OS, use this combination:Alt+Ctrl+Shift+Forward. You can find the back/forward keys on the top row of the keyboard. "

after that, you are supposed to install wine, which is supposed to run SOME windows programs on a different os other than windows. by some, i mean, "will growtopia work?"

p.s polls will keep your name in public, vote if necessary

Bump 7/29/15

You all have voted for Ubuntu to win the poll, so I will be upgrading to Ubuntu in the meantime.

Bump 2 7/29/2015

Board

Ubuntu - 11
Chromebook - 1

hodotd
07-30-2015, 12:30 AM
waiting for replies

gets on laptop and does stuff

Bejewled
07-30-2015, 12:46 AM
Dude..
Chomebooks are like the opposite of gaming.
They are like work computers..

peck
07-30-2015, 01:27 AM
Dude..
Chomebooks are like the opposite of gaming.
They are like work computers..

Is Growtopia supposed to require anything more than a work computer?

Bejewled
07-30-2015, 01:35 AM
Is Growtopia supposed to require anything more than a work computer?

I did not mean just Growtopia, i doubt that would be the only game he would play.

peck
07-30-2015, 01:41 AM
I did not mean just Growtopia, i doubt that would be the only game he would play.

If it is the range of games he would like to play, it'l do fine, he only provided that he wants to play growtopia. I doubt he expected it to be a gaming laptop and be maxing out farcry 4 on it.

Herac
07-30-2015, 01:45 AM
Dude ChromeBooks are gonna run bad with Windows, the hardware is gonna make it laggy sometimes I would just invest in a 400 Windows laptop, and this is coming from a guy who uses a Mac

Liammagoo
07-30-2015, 01:46 AM
If it is the range of games he would like to play, it'l do fine, he only provided that he wants to play growtopia. I doubt he expected it to be a gaming laptop and be maxing out farcry 4 on it.

Growtopia won't even RUN on my laptop. Stuck on the good ol' iOS.

Herac
07-30-2015, 01:50 AM

What type of Laptop do you have?

Bejewled
07-30-2015, 01:54 AM

Do you understand what a chromebook is?
It cant even run Terraria ffs

craft3d
07-30-2015, 01:57 AM

Did he say he was doing hardcore gaming or even say he was gaming? He's using one of the lightest games to run on the market which I'm sure could run Growtopia.

Bejewled
07-30-2015, 02:03 AM
Did he say he was doing hardcore gaming or even say he was gaming? He's using one of the lightest games to run on the market which I'm sure could run Growtopia.

'Since Growtopia is broken for me'

craft3d
07-30-2015, 02:06 AM

"Chrome OS"

peck
07-30-2015, 02:07 AM
Growtopia won't even RUN on my laptop.

For what reason?

- - - Updated - - -

Terraria and growtopia do not come close to whats dropped on the cpu or gpu.

Bejewled
07-30-2015, 02:10 AM
For what reason?

- - - Updated - - -

Terraria and growtopia do not come close to whats dropped on the cpu or gpu.

You're the one who brought up maxed out farcry 4 lmao

- - - Updated - - -

"Chrome OS"

What does that have to do with what i said..

peck
07-30-2015, 02:10 AM
You're the one who brought up maxed out farcry 4 lmao

" I doubt he expected it to be a gaming laptop and be maxing out farcry 4 on it."
You mean that? Maybe you read it too fast.

- - - Updated - - -

He's bringing up the reason why it doesn't work on chromebook.

craft3d
07-30-2015, 02:11 AM

Growtopia can not run on Chrome OS.

Bejewled
07-30-2015, 02:12 AM

Which is why i said chromebooks arent designed for games..
So whats your point...

peck
07-30-2015, 02:15 AM
So whats your point...

It appeared that you had it in the context that it wouldn't work for different reasons. Reasonably he brought that up.

craft3d
07-30-2015, 02:17 AM
So whats your point...

I said it's one of the lightest games and it should run.

It doesn't support major gaming engines like Unity, Unreal, and Source but it may support C, Javascript etc.

hodotd
07-30-2015, 03:49 AM
super reply fun time

it's the only game i play along with other games

before i got the laptop, i didn't know it was going to be a SUPER MEGA AWESOME FUN EXCITING gaming computer

i can't even play on my android phone

avast thinks it's a virus

right

- - - Updated - - -

also i forgot to add in that You all have 2 days to fill out the poll (if you already voted you can check after the 2 day deadline or the thread closes, if you are new to the thread you can vote.)

don't flame me for making it last for 2 days.

this is in us pacific time

hodotd
07-30-2015, 05:17 PM
one more day to vote, vote if you are new to the thread

peck
07-30-2015, 05:53 PM
before i got the laptop, i didn't know it was going to be a SUPER MEGA AWESOME FUN EXCITING gaming computer

It's not? Maybe you worded that wrong, or maybe I did for all the confusion. I said I doubt you expected it to be a gaming computer.

Ringo Engstrom
07-30-2015, 06:09 PM
I made my school chromebook run ubuntu, it wasent THAT hard.

hodotd
07-30-2015, 08:07 PM
It's not? Maybe you worded that wrong, or maybe I did for all the confusion. I said I doubt you expected it to be a gaming computer.

that was what i just said

Bejewled
07-30-2015, 08:55 PM
that was what i just said

Well you should of researched what you could and couldn't do on Chromes OS then

hodotd
07-30-2015, 10:34 PM
Well you should of researched what you could and couldn't do on Chromes OS then

i looked up some stuff and then tried to download growtopia

it said that the file isn't supportable and i need to find an app suitable for it

hodotd
07-31-2015, 04:14 PM
ubuntu has won the poll, i will be looking at instructions and upgrading in the meantime.

wish me luck

hodotd
07-31-2015, 10:50 PM
have to get groceries -_-'