PDA

View Full Version : Ban Homework [DEBATE]

Indicative
08-07-2015, 02:20 PM
Homework is a task set by teachers for students to do outside normal lessons – usually at home in the evening. Schools have been setting homework in developed countries for over a century, but until the past few decades usually only older students had to do it. More recently younger students have also been given homework by their primary or elementary schools. In England the government does not make schools give homework but it does set guidelines 1. Five year olds are expected to do an hour a week, increasing to three hours a week at 11 and ten hours or more a week at 16 2. American studies report the amount of homework being set for younger students doubling over the past twenty-five years or so, although some doubt these findings.

Discussion

OA = Point Against
CP = Counter Point

OA1: Homework encourages students to work more independently, as they will have to at college and in their jobs. Everyone needs to develop responsibility and skills in personal organization, working to deadlines, being able to research, etc. If students are always “spoon-fed” topics at school they will never develop study skills and self-discipline for the future. A gradual increase in homework responsibilities over the years allows these skills to develop. For instance, to read a novel or complete a research project, there is simply no time at school to do it properly. Students have to act independently and be willing to read or write, knowing that if they struggle, they will have to work through the problem or the difficult words themselves. Diane Ravitch points out that a novel like Jane Eyre cannot be completed if it is not read at home – students have to work through it themselves.

CP1: Setting homework does little to develop good study skills. It is hard to check whether the homework students produce is really their own. Some students have always copied off others or got their parents to help them. But today there is so much material available on the internet that teachers can never be sure. It would be better to have a mixture of activities in the classroom which help students to develop a whole range of skills, including independent learning. Furthermore, if teachers want to develop independence in their students, students should be given a choice in the matter of homework. Otherwise, they’re not using their judgement and therefore they aren’t being independent at all.

O2: Having homework also allows students to really fix in their heads work they have done in school. Doing tasks linked to recent lessons helps students strengthen their understanding and become more confident in using new knowledge and skills. For younger children this could be practising reading or multiplication tables. For older ones it might be writing up an experiment, revising for a test and reading in preparation for the next topic. Professor Cooper of Duke University, has found that there is evidence that in elementary school students do better on tests when they do short homework assignments related to the test 1. Students gain confidence from such practise, and that shows when they sit the tests.

CP2: Homework does not ensure that students practise what they are taught at school. To practise what a student has been taught requires the presence of a teacher or tutor who can guide the student if they get something wrong. Homework, done by the student on their own, offers little support and is only a source of stress. If confused, the student may only come to dislike the topic or subject, which will only further reduce their ability to remember what they were taught.

SpeedFreakz
08-07-2015, 02:29 PM
I wish will be ban homework in the Philippines.

Krazynewb
08-07-2015, 02:36 PM
The only time I like homework is when people don't do it so I can laugh at them. :crazy:

Areodax
08-07-2015, 03:32 PM
They usually give assignments which are harder to do than the lessons. Gives you more things to learn.

Or is it just me talking about Mathematics. Anyways, I think homework is just really just a thing that the teachers added in for some "fun" and less "boredom". Banning homework will pretty much lessen the burden of coming home after school. You can still review your lessons or just sit in front of your desk and play games.

MyLegGuy
08-07-2015, 04:31 PM
You need homework to practice the things you've learned.

DynPlaysGT
08-07-2015, 04:32 PM
What's the point of having a job (teacher) anyway if you're just going to get little kids to do it for you?

Liammagoo
08-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Best let Solorien answer this one for us.

GT_PIJUS
08-07-2015, 04:46 PM
Homework kills my time,that's why I QUITE like it. :p

Syberg
08-07-2015, 04:47 PM
Lol.
While I agree that giving homework to a person who doesn't want to learn is pretty much useless as that person won't do it or do it half-hearted, homework can improve people' who actually want to learn something and not to waste their time at school understanding of subjects. Homework deepens the knowledge that you got in class and makes you remember important facts longer. In fact, if people would actually try to understand every bit of information, I doubt that anyone would need to learn before tests (I always do math homework and in fact, I think that I didn't really revise anything for a test for around... 5 years now?).

dirknkobe
08-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Homework is a great tool if used right. For example in my classes there is no way possible the tax her could teach all that we need for the ap test at the end of the year. So we must read the text book to get everything that she could not teach in her time in class.

Most of you are saying it is wasting your time. I laugh knowing in that wasted time you would just be wasting your time playing games or doing something useless so that is a horrible argument.

King902
08-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Homework is a task set by teachers for students to do outside normal lessons – usually at home in the evening. Schools have been setting homework in developed countries for over a century, but until the past few decades usually only older students had to do it. More recently younger students have also been given homework by their primary or elementary schools. In England the government does not make schools give homework but it does set guidelines 1. Five year olds are expected to do an hour a week, increasing to three hours a week at 11 and ten hours or more a week at 16 2. American studies report the amount of homework being set for younger students doubling over the past twenty-five years or so, although some doubt these findings.

I will start.

Homework has little educational worth and adds nothing to the time spent in school. Some schools and some countries don't bother with homework at all, and their results do not seem to suffer from it. Studies show that homework adds nothing to standardised test scores for primary/ elementary pupils.

It is just a preview of what you learned in class.

DumbOldDoor
08-07-2015, 05:13 PM
You need homework to practice the things you've learned.
No you don't. At least a lot of people don't. Most people are capable of learning and remembering everything they learned in class without having to do the same stuff again at home. If I feel like I didn't quite understand some topic or don't remember some aspects, then I will do revision myself at home if I feel the need to. If you (not you in particular) don't care about your grades and never do homework then that's your problem.

Lol.
While I agree that giving homework to a person who doesn't want to learn is pretty much useless as that person won't do it or do it half-hearted, homework can improve people' who actually want to learn something and not to waste their time at school understanding of subjects. Homework deepens the knowledge that you got in class and makes you remember important facts longer. In fact, if people would actually try to understand every bit of information, I doubt that anyone would need to learn before tests (I always do math homework and in fact, I think that I didn't really revise anything for a test for around... 5 years now?).

You're just naturally talented in math. I never do math homework since they hardly ever check it and I almost never even get a B or 4 (or whatever system you use) in math.

I think homework should be banned, it gives basically nothing to me and just wastes more of my time. If you listen in class and have a brain then you don't need to repeat those things at home. Plus, homework means your "school day" gets even longer. For example you spend 8 hours at school and then study 2 hours for tests, do homework for other classes and.. time to sleep or you'll be tired in the morning, have a bad mood, be unmotivated and have a bad day in general.
School also causes way too much stress.

Christopher
08-07-2015, 05:21 PM
It's not like I do it anyways. I still pass all my classes

I don't recall ever studying for an English test :\ *gets all A's*

dirknkobe
08-07-2015, 05:24 PM
It's not like I do it anyways. I still pass all my classes

That won't last long.

SuperJ
08-07-2015, 05:28 PM
More homework means more stress.

My teachers give me homework, but we don't HAVE to do it sometimes. Especially for math.

I do my homework because I don't want to get into trouble or anything, but I find that it's completely use less and makes us do school, when were on a break, and that's not fair!

Our school even does homework on weekends and it's such a bad decision... We still have to do chores, go to places, and then we have to do homework. So we get literally, no break!

It's good to have some homework but this is just going way to far...

Ikaros
08-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Ive also got a problem with that
School starts so early so the students have time for the day
WHY DO WE GET HOMEWORK THEN

Aram Sevag
08-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Good luck solving a simple math problem in 30 minutes.

Homework = Practice = Faster Brain = Easier life.

Arnold
08-07-2015, 07:17 PM
To be honest, I like doing homework. Gives me something to do. It also gives me motivation to search related thing to it.
but its the holidays! I got no homework, and I kinda feel dumber.

Aram Sevag
08-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Unless you are planning on living your whole life off those TV shows, your logic is oh so flawed.

What about this logic?

ParkourDevil
08-07-2015, 07:26 PM
I enjoy school and homework.

sonsoftanked
08-07-2015, 07:27 PM
Ban it till november because im starting varsity football
And practice is really long and its everyday cept sunday

Arnold
08-07-2015, 07:30 PM
I enjoy school and homework.

I can see a connection.

PolarisHD
08-07-2015, 07:43 PM
I believe Homeworks should be banned. Sure, they might help you get smarter, but it only causes more stress.

Students spend stressful 9 hours (can be more or less depending on where you live) in school, and yet after going home, they still have more stuff to do. It lessens the time they can spend with their family, friends, and themselves.

It also prevents children from having a balanced and healthy lifestyle by preventing them to sleep 8 hours a day.

dirknkobe
08-07-2015, 07:49 PM
You guys are all going to have a rude awakening when you get into the real world, because you might have to do some work on your "break time"

- - - Updated - - -

I believe Homeworks should be banned. Sure, they might help you get smarter, but it only causes more stress.

Students spend stressful 9 hours (can be more or less depending on where you live) in school, and yet after going home, they still have more stuff to do. It lessens the time they can spend with their family, friends, and themselves.

It also prevents children from having a balanced and healthy lifestyle by preventing them to sleep 8 hours a day.

9 hours of school? Let's see my school goes from 7:45 to 2 that's 6.25 hours. Then subtract lunch which is 30 min so that's 5.45. 4 min break between classes that's 5.29 hours. So 5 and a half hours of stress which is nothing when you get a job. What's 3 hours of homework? Teachers can't teach everything in the time we have in class

PolarisHD
08-07-2015, 08:02 PM
9 hours of school? Let's see my school goes from 7:45 to 2 that's 6.25 hours. Then subtract lunch which is 30 min so that's 5.45. 4 min break between classes that's 5.29 hours. So 5 and a half hours of stress which is nothing when you get a job.

Don't compare schools with jobs. Childrens are different from adults.

What's 3 hours of homework? Teachers can't teach everything in the time we have in class

That only applies to your school. I'm talking about other schools from other countries in general.

dirknkobe
08-07-2015, 08:06 PM
Don't compare schools with jobs. Childrens are different from adults.

That only applies to your school. I'm talking about other schools from other countries in general.

Give me a run down on your schools schedule. I think school is a job or at the very least related.

dirknkobe
08-07-2015, 08:08 PM
In a way, I have to agree with you.
I think badly of homework not because I am lazy, but because it's just not practical.

Homework is a tool. Many teacher in my district use it to its full potential and I guess many of your teacher use it as buisy work which is not right.

Many of my teacher use it to cover what we could not cover in school (which is a lot). So yeah we have to read the a couple of chapters in a text book but it is only preparing us for what we need to know by the end of the year

Gusto
Homework is good, busy work is bad.

Homework helps to make sure you've understood everything. Homework allows you to prep for the test, or prep for real life, it's totally necessary.

Busy work is absolutely horrible and evil, and should be banned for the rest of eternity.

:cool:

TheWizard
That moment when you have studied for 2 hours nonstop and do a break for 5 min to harvest your trees and your mom comes in... Happened to me a million times :crazy:

dirknkobe
08-07-2015, 08:10 PM
^^^
People who compare school to jobs are similar to the type of people who judge a dolphin on its ability to climb a tree.

Ok here are some similarities

Both are an obligation
Both help you have it easier down your life
Both you must attend to continuously
Both require work

School prepares you for your jobs in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Homework is good, busy work is bad.

Homework helps to make sure you've understood everything. Homework allows you to prep for the test, or prep for real life, it's totally necessary.

Busy work is absolutely horrible and evil, and should be banned for the rest of eternity.

:cool:

This is perfectly said

dirknkobe
08-07-2015, 08:14 PM
School doesn't prepare you for sh*t, apart from teaching you the fact that complete freedom is a joke.

Then why does a person who graduates from college earn on averge a better wage than one that doesn't? Is that a coincidence? I do agree with the freedoms part but that's another topic

PolarisHD
08-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Give me a run down on your schools schedule. I think school is a job or at the very least related.

We have to be in school before 7 AM and ends in 3:20 PM. That sums up to 8 hours and 20 minutes. We have 2 breaks. Each break is 30 minutes which makes it 1 hour overall. That leaves us with 7 hours and 20 minutes of stress.

Here's the thing, our teachers give us hard tasks and activities and we have to pass them before school ends. Most of us have to use our breaks to complete those tasks.

Also, I don't take buses, so I don't get to leave school on a designated time. My father takes me home, but due to his job, I have to wait an hour or so. When I get home, I have 5 hours to spend and homeworks just causes more stress.

dirknkobe
08-07-2015, 08:29 PM
We have to be in school before 7 AM and ends in 3:20 PM. That sums up to 8 hours and 20 minutes. We have 2 breaks. Each break is 30 minutes which makes it 1 hour overall. That leaves us with 7 hours and 20 minutes of stress.

Here's the thing, our teachers give us hard tasks and activities and we have to pass them before school ends. Most of us have to use our breaks to complete those tasks.

Also, I don't take buses, so I don't get to leave school on a designated time. My father takes me home, but due to his job, I have to wait an hour or so. When I get home, I have 5 hours to spend and homeworks just causes more stress.

Ok so that is just like my old elementary school hours. Just get your homework done right after school you have a free hour. It's all about time manegment. As said before if it is buisy work then it should not be given but if it is productive then it will help you.

Boomer
08-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Im homeschooled, and I do all my work at the time I learn it. Ive made it to 12th with no problems.

Indicative
08-07-2015, 11:24 PM
Ok so that is just like my old elementary school hours. Just get your homework done right after school you have a free hour. It's all about time manegment. As said before if it is buisy work then it should not be given but if it is productive then it will help you.

Homework takes a lot of time up. In America, they encourage the '10 minute rule', 10 minutes homework for every grade, meaning that high-school students are all doing more than an hour's worth of homework each night. Being young is not just about doing school work every night. It should also about being physically active, exploring the environment through play, doing creative things like music and art, and playing a part in the community. It is also important for young people to build bonds with others, especially family and friends, but homework often squeezes the time available for all these things.

Also, it takes up teacher's time.

Irrespective of homework's educational value, marking it takes up much of teachers' time. Australian teachers have complained that 'homework marking can result in four extra hours of work a day and they are rarely rewarded for their effort'. This leaves teachers tired and with little time to prepare effective, inspiring lessons. If the lessons aren't to the standard they should be, the point of homework is lost as the students have little to practise in the first place. The heavy workload also puts young graduates off becoming teachers, and so reduces the talent pool from which schools can recruit.

Trollrage
08-07-2015, 11:30 PM
Homework takes a lot of time up. In America, they encourage the '10 minute rule', 10 minutes homework for every grade, meaning that high-school students are all doing more than an hour's worth of homework each night. Being young is not just about doing school work every night. It should also about being physically active, exploring the environment through play, doing creative things like music and art, and playing a part in the community. It is also important for young people to build bonds with others, especially family and friends, but homework often squeezes the time available for all these things.

Irrespective of homework's educational value, marking it takes up much of teachers' time. Australian teachers have complained that 'homework marking can result in four extra hours of work a day and they are rarely rewarded for their effort'. This leaves teachers tired and with little time to prepare effective, inspiring lessons. If the lessons aren't to the standard they should be, the point of homework is lost as the students have little to practise in the first place. The heavy workload also puts young graduates off becoming teachers, and so reduces the talent pool from which schools can recruit.

In switzerland:
1st grade- 5 Mins
2nd Grade- 10 Mins
3rd Grade- 15 Mins
4th Grade- 30 Mins
5th Grade- 45 Mins
6th Grade- 1 hour
7th Grade- 2 Hours
8th Grade- 2 Hours
9th Grade- 2 Hours
College- 5 Hours

*Not including: studying

grapezzzz19
08-07-2015, 11:41 PM
homework in indonesia is fair.

while homework in USA is so easy we need more.

honestly people who hate homework are just elementary students that just want to play minecraft or soccer on their parents iphones.

Bruce Wayne
08-07-2015, 11:44 PM
No you don't. At least a lot of people don't. Most people are capable of learning and remembering everything they learned in class without having to do the same stuff again at home. If I feel like I didn't quite understand some topic or don't remember some aspects, then I will do revision myself at home if I feel the need to. If you (not you in particular) don't care about your grades and never do homework then that's your problem.

You're just naturally talented in math. I never do math homework since they hardly ever check it and I almost never even get a B or 4 (or whatever system you use) in math.

I think homework should be banned, it gives basically nothing to me and just wastes more of my time. If you listen in class and have a brain then you don't need to repeat those things at home. Plus, homework means your "school day" gets even longer. For example you spend 8 hours at school and then study 2 hours for tests, do homework for other classes and.. time to sleep or you'll be tired in the morning, have a bad mood, be unmotivated and have a bad day in general.
School also causes way too much stress.

You said that only in your mind.. You never said anything about others. You only talked about yourself.

Now. It might be less crucial for better minds but it would be unfair if they didn't have to do it.

Let's vote on this, #BatmanForPresident
#WayneForUSA
#BatForGothamUSA

- - - Updated - - -

People who want to ban homework are just little kids who want to play video games all day, homework is forcing you to study, you may not think it has an impact on you but it does. You will realise this once you mature and grow older.

Your name is ironically "PS4"..

Joshua Tan
08-07-2015, 11:45 PM
Hmm I'm not sure but if you remove homeworks we would have many tasks in school than now

sonsoftanked
08-07-2015, 11:46 PM
People who want to ban homework are just little kids who want to play video games all day, homework is forcing you to study, you may not think it has an impact on you but it does. You will realise this once you mature and grow older.
not true i just need it banned during sports season cept for maybe friday because i can get it done over the weekend after the game but its hard during the week i could stay up till past midnight to get it done then wake up at 5 to get ready

Indicative
08-07-2015, 11:49 PM
homework in indonesia is fair.

while homework in USA is so easy we need more.

honestly people who hate homework are just elementary students that just want to play minecraft or soccer on their parents iphones.

We don't hate them. We are against them. I will start another point.

Homework puts students off learning. Studies have shown that many children find doing homework very stressful, boring and tiring. Often teachers underestimate how long a task will take, or set an unrealistic deadline. Sometimes because a teacher has not explained something new well in class, the homework task is impossible. So children end up paying with their free time for the failings of their teachers. They also suffer punishments if work is done badly or late. After years of bad homework experiences, it is no wonder that many children come to dislike education and switch off, or drop out too early. Teachers in Britain fear that poor children, because they lack the support to do their homework, will be turned off school.

BBC News, 2008 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/7287962.stm)

grapezzzz19
08-07-2015, 11:53 PM
We don't hate them. We are against them. I will start another point.

Homework puts students off learning. Studies have shown that many children find doing homework very stressful, boring and tiring. Often teachers underestimate how long a task will take, or set an unrealistic deadline. Sometimes because a teacher has not explained something new well in class, the homework task is impossible. So children end up paying with their free time for the failings of their teachers. They also suffer punishments if work is done badly or late. After years of bad homework experiences, it is no wonder that many children come to dislike education and switch off, or drop out too early. Teachers in Britain fear that poor children, because they lack the support to do their homework, will be turned off school.

BBC News, 2008 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/7287962.stm)

i heard a rumor in my social studies class that homework was banned in france because rich kids would always get help and poor kids cant.
but you got a point their.

Indicative
08-08-2015, 12:01 AM
I just add the score thingy and the new point.

Anyone have counterpoint for my second point? :rolleyes:

R.V.
08-08-2015, 12:04 AM
First off this won't be too long of a rant as I am on my phone but here it goes.

Homework is usefull. It allows a student to practice what they have been taught that day so they may learn it better. People learn I. Different ways, some by listening, some by seeing, some by both and some by hands on activity. Homework allows those to learn in school and prove that they are lead I g and doing well. Also I can see it as some people get "Test Anxiety" which could cause them to seem like they don't know much. However the homework can provide that they did learn it.

Second homework is also meant to prepare you for a job. It is teaching you to get your work done that you need to get done. Homework is meant to be useful and helpful. If you don't practice something you learned how are you to know that you actually know it.
Ex in gamers mode: You and your friend are playing let's say "tanked" they tell you all about how to play the game. And your home work is to practice the skills and techniques he taught you.

Now in today's generation, I myself and headed in to be a sophmore and I will agree and be speaking for many teenagers out there when I say teachers are giving too much homework. Adults/teachers expect you to get good grades, have a social life, stay somewhat fit, and also help others.

The problem being, is it is difficult to maintain all of this.

Ex: Start school 8am
End 3:20 pm
Sports if you have: takes 1-3 hours so let's go in middle at 2 hours.
Sports end 5:30
By now you are tired most likely
Homework: 2 hours
That is 7:30 now dinner time
Ends: 8:00
What happend to social life? Or helpin others???

I believe teachers need to not give so much homework because if I included driving time it would already be about 9:30. And what happened you are supposed to get home start HW eat and go to bed each night?!?! That is unreasonable yet that is what is expected of us. And also to study for tests et cetera and do projects.

I personally believe that teachers should provide less homework as this doesn't give time to rest. What are we, robots? I think not we are humans, also teenagers are required to do lots of chores. When are we expected to do the chores when it is 9:30 pm with having no breaks. Huh? Yeah...

Edit: this ended longer than I expected lol

dirknkobe
08-08-2015, 12:30 AM

I'm a junior in high school doing on average 3 hours of homework and I balance that with playing on the soccer team. Yes it squeezes the time but let's be real how many people actual use their time to be with there family and exercising? Most will play games.

Yeah it's a strain on teachers but I'm pretty sure most teacher would rather do extra work and see their kids to de better than not do any work and let them fail (at the least the good teachers)

atwistoffate
08-08-2015, 12:47 AM
Homework is like sports. When you learn something new, your goal would be to practice it until you get it down. Same for homework. You learn something new in class for 45 minutes, you will most likely forget what you just learned, unless you do a little bit of homework.

HerobrineFan
08-08-2015, 12:53 AM
^^^^^

^^^^^

KKcupcake
08-08-2015, 01:27 AM
having homework is a way for pupils to practise what they have learnt and apply it independently. without homework, teachers will basically be spoon-feeding the students concepts and knowledge, and that is bad as students will easily forget. homework also teaches kids about time management, they can set a schedule, and have both play time and study time.

this is why homework is essential in educating children, and it must not be banned.

++ 2h h/w for a 12th grader sounds reasonable.

abram123
08-08-2015, 03:16 AM
You only get homework if you don't do it in class. In every class, I get 45 minutes to do my assignments, so I have more than enough time to do it. It's just up to you and whether you're up to the task to finish it in class. I never have home work because I always finish my assignments in class. I'm also going to be a senior in High School, so I've been doing this for about 4 years now. Yes, I might have a few days during the school year where I might have to finish my math homework at home, but that's like 5% chance of that happening. If you're going to pay attention in class and focus, then you will know what you're doing and finish your stuff during the class period. It depends on your dedication and how hard you want to work. :sweatdrop:

Refuz
08-08-2015, 03:20 AM

Discussion

Homework has little educational worth and adds nothing to the time spent in school. Some schools and some countries don't bother with homework at all, and their results do not seem to suffer from it. Studies show that homework adds nothing to standardised test scores for primary/ elementary pupils.

Score

Points For VS Points Against

First Point - 0 V 0 (Waiting for dirknkobe to throw up the sponge)
Second Point - 0 V 0 (Waiting for counterpoint)

First Point

Point Against

Counterpoint

Second Point

Point For

Counterpoint

None.

We need homework, it's to practice what we did in class, imagine this: If you didn't pay attention, you can't do your homework, so teachers know that you don't know about that specific topic, if you know what to do, teachers know what you're doing, I know it's boring and time consuming but it's a part of life.

Indicative
08-08-2015, 03:43 AM
Homework is like sports. When you learn something new, your goal would be to practice it until you get it down. Same for homework. You learn something new in class for 45 minutes, you will most likely forget what you just learned, unless you do a little bit of homework.

Homework does not ensure that students practise what they are taught at school. To practise what a student has been taught requires the presence of a teacher or tutor who can guide the student if they get something wrong. Homework, done by the student on their own, offers little support and is only a source of stress. If confused, the student may only come to dislike the topic or subject, which will only further reduce their ability to remember what they were taught.

KKcupcake
08-08-2015, 03:54 AM
You only get homework if you don't do it in class. In every class, I get 45 minutes to do my assignments, so I have more than enough time to do it. It's just up to you and whether you're up to the task to finish it in class. I never have home work because I always finish my assignments in class. I'm also going to be a senior in High School, so I've been doing this for about 4 years now. Yes, I might have a few days during the school year where I might have to finish my math homework at home, but that's like 5% chance of that happening. If you're going to pay attention in class and focus, then you will know what you're doing and finish your stuff during the class period. It depends on your dedication and how hard you want to work. :sweatdrop:

Woww, that sounds good.
My school gives homework, and teachers usually purely teach during lesson time.
It's only during Math where I get this sort of time.
I'm in what Americans would call 6th Grade...

Aram Sevag
08-08-2015, 04:34 AM
i heard a rumor in my social studies class that homework was banned in france because rich kids would always get help and poor kids cant.
but you got a point their.

In France?

My friends in Lebanon follow a French education system, and sometimes they stay up to midnight so they can finish their homework.

Homework does not ensure that students practise what they are taught at school. To practise what a student has been taught requires the presence of a teacher or tutor who can guide the student if they get something wrong. Homework, done by the student on their own, offers little support and is only a source of stress. If confused, the student may only come to dislike the topic or subject, which will only further reduce their ability to remember what they were taught.

Homework is usually corrected in class.

KKcupcake
08-08-2015, 10:51 AM
You're making it sound like you only have one day to do your homework, which is obviously not true. If the student finds it hard then he/she can ask his/her's teacher and no you do not need a teacher/tutor to babysit you through your homework, that's like saying I go to a football club (UK) and I can't practise my passing/shooting after class properly without a tutor. If you listen and pay attention in class properly you will find that homework is easy, simple.

No pain, no gain. Suck it up and deal with it.
Yes, a tutor is not needed to do homework well, and also excel in exams.
I do not have a tutor/get help for homework regularly, but I find homework easy, and I have straight As. Why? I listen in class, I take notes, I retain info, and apply it to my homework after school. There is also ample time to do homework
Assuming,
School : 7.45 - 1.45
CCA : 2.00 - 4.00
Travelling home. : 4.00 - 4.30
Leisure : 4.30 - 5.00
Dinner : 5.00 - 6.30
H/W : 6.30 - ....
Bedtime : 10.00
I mean, that seems like a lot of time for homework.
Usually homework given should range from 1h - 2h, so I do not see how homework load is a problem

Trolled
08-08-2015, 11:35 AM
WE SHOULD obviousLY BAN IT. Logic sense..

SFM2025
08-08-2015, 09:02 PM
I don't do homework LOL I come home from school I play till I sleep.

dirknkobe
08-08-2015, 09:05 PM
I don't do homework LOL I come home from school I play till I sleep.

So doing homework is a waste of time and this is not? Just define what a waste of time is

atwistoffate
08-08-2015, 09:15 PM
But we are all forgetting the most important thing.

I'm still wasting time doing homework and learning things that i won't be using in college or at my
lab rat job.

dirknkobe
08-08-2015, 10:13 PM
But we are all forgetting the most important thing.

I'm still wasting time doing homework and learning things that i won't be using in college or at my
lab rat job.

You are missing the part that you do learn things that will help you with college and a job like time manegment or reading, writing, math, and social amity

atwistoffate
08-08-2015, 10:22 PM
You are missing the part that you do learn things that will help you with college and a job like time manegment or reading, writing, math, and social amity

Can't wait to use my knowledge in the cold war when being an electronic engineer.