PDA

View Full Version : Parents

26FtW26
08-17-2015, 09:33 PM
I thought this may be an interesting thing to talk about.
How over-protective are your parents? Mine aren't over protective at all. They trust me most of the time and don't get spooked by my decisions all the time. I once climbed on my current house's roof while my parents were outside (really high) and yelled "look here". They looked at me like "dafuq come down mate" but when I told em I'd stay up there for a while and look for a comfy spot, they let me lel

if you're still of the age when your parents give a damn, how is it for you?

Feint
08-17-2015, 09:34 PM
How over-protective are your parents? Mine aren't over protective at all. They trust me most of the time and don't get spooked by my decisions all the time. I once climbed on my current house's roof while my parents were outside (really high) and yelled "look here". They looked at me like "dafuq come down mate" but when I told em I'd stay up there for a while and look for a comfy spot, they let me lel

I can't practice my own religion around my parents

That is all.

26FtW26
08-17-2015, 09:36 PM
I can't practice my own religion around my parents

That is all.

My family is pretty much full atheists, altho they don't admit it. And so am I.

jk, the only god I believe in is lord Gaben.

BTW, if your family doesn't let you practice your own religion around them, that's just not cool. They're abusing their right as parents.

Feint
08-17-2015, 09:39 PM
My family is pretty much full atheists, altho they don't admit it. And so am I.

jk, the only god I believe in is lord Gaben.

BTW, if your family doesn't let you practice your own religion around them, that's just not cool. They're abusing their right as parents.

I bet you'll react differently when you hear my religion.

Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

26FtW26
08-17-2015, 09:40 PM
I bet you'll react differently when you hear my religion.

Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

what is it?

I tried to find the religion in 50 shades of grey, but I couldn't find it
I was gonna make the perfect joke but some things are just not meant to be had I guess.

Feint
08-17-2015, 09:43 PM
what is it?

I tried to find the religion in 50 shades of grey, but I couldn't find it
I was gonna make the perfect joke but some things are just not meant to be had I guess.

Some things are not meant to be told.

PannyFlan
08-17-2015, 09:43 PM
My parents are VERY over protective.
Remember I made a thread, what should I do without the internet?
I listed some things I can't do, and here is the list.

- Read : We don't have any good books, and I could only read things online...
- Study : It gonna be impossible to study with my siblings around, and I have no idea where to start studying since I never study before...
- Sleep : No.
- Play outside or take a walk : I can't go outside, my parents don't let me. They are overprotective.
- Go to friend house : Nope, my parents don't trust them.
- Craft, paint, draw : I can't craft and paint because my parents complain it get messy and it be a pain to clean up, when I can clean things up on my own but they don't trust me. I can't draw on paper, and I can't draw on my laptop because my nib is broken so I'm getting a new pen tomorrow.
- TV : We got no good channels.
- Eat : I'm on a diet.
- Cook or bake : I can only bake at other people houses or when my parents are cooking something big.
- Shop : Don't get me started on this.
- Experience new make up or hairstyles : My parents hate them, which is why I'm a plain girl.
- Talk on the phone.
- Earn money.
- Join camping or scouts, or whatever they are.

I think I have more, but so far... that all I CAN'T do.
They also want me to have something unique that none of my cousins can't do and the unique thing must be good for money for the future...
So welp.

ElectroDream
08-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Kind of over-protective, but not so over-protective. My parents put CCTV all over the house (including my room) but I don't even care, I know what I am doing on the internet. :cool:

The only thing I hate is that my parents check who I have been chatting to using my phone. But I've never chatted about dirty stuff so... phew.

26FtW26
08-17-2015, 09:52 PM
My parents are VERY over protective.
Remember I made a thread, what should I do without the internet?
I listed some things I can't do, and here is the list.

- Read : We don't have any good books, and I could only read things online...
- Study : It gonna be impossible to study with my siblings around, and I have no idea where to start studying since I never study before...
- Sleep : No.
- Play outside or take a walk : I can't go outside, my parents don't let me. They are overprotective.
- Go to friend house : Nope, my parents don't trust them.
- Craft, paint, draw : I can't craft and paint because my parents complain it get messy and it be a pain to clean up, when I can clean things up on my own but they don't trust me. I can't draw on paper, and I can't draw on my laptop because my nib is broken so I'm getting a new pen tomorrow.
- TV : We got no good channels.
- Eat : I'm on a diet.
- Cook or bake : I can only bake at other people houses or when my parents are cooking something big.
- Shop : Don't get me started on this.
- Experience new make up or hairstyles : My parents hate them, which is why I'm a plain girl.
- Talk on the phone.
- Earn money.
- Join camping or scouts, or whatever they are.

I think I have more, but so far... that all I CAN'T do.
They also want me to have something unique that none of my cousins can't do and the unique thing must be good for money for the future...
So welp.

You're not my typa person. Rules are for the weak.

Kind of over-protective, but not so over-protective. My parents put CCTV all over the house (including my room) but I don't even care, I know what I am doing on the internet. :cool:

The only thing I hate is that my parents check who I have been chatting to using my phone. But I've never chatted about dirty stuff so... phew.

KIND OF?! I don't know if I've grown up in a really uncaring family but CCTV's all over the house is intruding your privacy. I'd break the suckers.

ElectroDream
08-17-2015, 09:56 PM

KIND OF?! I don't know if I've grown up in a really uncaring family but CCTV's all over the house is intruding your privacy. I'd break the suckers.

lol, that's why I prefer playing in the toilet. Privacy. :ninja:

But seriously, some of my friends' parents are worse. I'd call that "kind of".

PannyFlan
08-17-2015, 10:13 PM

My parents are really scary.
When I was around 4, I did something bad but I can't remember, BUT my dad locked me in the basement for like 15 - 30 minutes?
Than later, when my sister was around 4 - 5, my dad tried to throw my sister outside when she was being a brat in the house.
Than finally, my brother when he was 6, he was whining on a game, and my mom was in a HUGE bad mood, that she grab the wooden plank, and smack my brother butt. If I try to play games, read etc while she angry, she gonna smack me or my sister, and when I saw that... I ran to the basement like a boss and locked the door with my little sister till my mom and brother calmed down.

26FtW26
08-17-2015, 10:15 PM
When I was around 4, I did something bad but I can't remember, BUT my dad locked me in the basement for like 15 - 30 minutes?
Than later, when my sister was around 4 - 5, my dad tried to throw my sister outside when she was being a brat in the house.
Than finally, my brother when he was 6, he was whining on a game, and my mom was in a HUGE bad mood, that she grab the wooden plank, and smack my brother butt. If I try to play games, read etc while she angry, she gonna smack me or my sister, and when I saw that... I ran to the basement like a boss and locked the door with my little sister till my mom and brother calmed down.
Isn't that illegal?
Child abuse...?

Feint
08-17-2015, 10:16 PM

That's why you fight back.

26FtW26
08-17-2015, 10:18 PM

That's what I would do, some people prefer the police, tho.

PannyFlan
08-17-2015, 10:20 PM

Pfft, I would totally do that.
Expect they are SUPER scary when they are angry.
I don't really like fighting back to my parents, but if it some brats who is bullying, acting like drama queen etc, than yeah. I would go beat her/him up.

Kireek
08-17-2015, 10:27 PM
Isn't that illegal?
Child abuse...?

Abuse=/=Discipline

The parents establish the expectations to be met and what will happen if failed. Correction isn't often the immoral act it seems to be and if Panny's parents abused them due to some random set-off, it would be irrational to have 3 children, much less if a single child causes one to have some sort of aberration.

Magicalfishy
08-17-2015, 10:28 PM
My sister, mom, and dad all have anger issues. Surprisingly I'm joyful all the time despite them. My dad's been really strict like limiting me to 1 hour on electronics a day, having to exercise and do a ton of chores before going on electronics, locking my electronics in the safe, etc. But now that I'm older he doesn't do much of that stuff anymore.

PannyFlan
08-17-2015, 10:33 PM
Isn't that illegal?
Child abuse...?

No, it not child abuse.
They didn't hit us or trying to throw us outside for no reason.
I can't remember why I was locked in the basement, but I know I did a bad thing to a guest.
My sister was being a brat in the house, and my dad asked her stop, but she didn't and she got her punishment.
Than my brother who whine, and my mom had a headache, and she asked my brother to stop and he didn't, even though she asked 3 times.

PolarisHD
08-17-2015, 10:33 PM
Abuse=/=Discipline

The parents establish the expectations to be met and what will happen if failed. Correction isn't often the immoral act it seems to be and if Panny's parents abused them due to some random set-off, it would be irrational to have 3 children, much less if a single child causes one to have some sort of aberration.

Yes, because locking a 4 year old in a basement for 15+ minutes and throwing a 4 year old out of the house is called discipline and is perfectly normal.

Kireek
08-17-2015, 10:48 PM
Yes, because locking a 4 year old in a basement for 15+ minutes and throwing a 4 year old out of the house is called discipline and is perfectly normal.

Yes, it's discipline if it achieved to portray what is/is not acceptable within a household. But that doesn't imply the methods were particularly effective.

It's perfectly normal if you consider Vietnamese households.

Derpyderp
08-17-2015, 10:54 PM
Yes, it's discipline if it achieved to portray what is/is not acceptable within a household. But that doesn't imply the methods were particularly effective.

It's perfectly normal if you consider Vietnamese households.

pain = / = discipline, thats abuse
talk to ya child, tell them how you can help fix it
if you use pain instead of talking you set it up where, even if they love you, you will get hit for something that you did wrong instead of fixing the problem and having mutual understanding that you wont do it again

studies also show that being hit than being talked to about a mistake leads to lower iq, source here (http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/en/news/newsandfeatures/pages/spankings-long-term-effect-on-intelligence.aspx)
also to quote from the source " This means that if a certain behavior is not corrected after the first spank, the parent will hit the child again, but harder, perpetuating a cycle of punishment that can easily escalate into physical injury or physical abuse. "

PannyFlan
08-17-2015, 10:56 PM
if you use pain instead of talking you set it up where, even if they love you, you will get hit for something that you did wrong instead of fixing the problem and having mutual understanding that you wont do it again

studies also show that being hit than being talked to about a mistake leads to lower iq, source here (http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/en/news/newsandfeatures/pages/spankings-long-term-effect-on-intelligence.aspx)
also to quote from the source " This means that if a certain behavior is not corrected after the first spank, the parent will hit the child again, but harder, perpetuating a cycle of punishment that can easily escalate into physical injury or physical abuse. "

I'm Vietnamese, and after the punishment they calm us down and tell us the reason why it bad and my parents will ask us if we learn our lesson.
Now, enough about child abuse, because I'm not being child abuse.

Pyroworld
08-17-2015, 10:56 PM
My dad lets me play with his power tools...

Eg. Drill a wooden plank

but my MOM... whew. sometimes, she doesn't even let me go outside with my friends.

Kireek
08-17-2015, 11:04 PM

Citing from here, http://www.livestrong.com/article/69111-difference-between-discipline-child/
There is controversy over whether parents should ever use physical discipline to correct their children. "Spanking plants seeds for later violent behavior" and "Spanking doesn't work," according to AskDr.Sears.com. However, many parents believe that physical discipline can be an effective part of correcting a child, if done correctly. If parents choose to spank their child, it should not be done in a way that causes injury to the child, violates the child or causes humiliation to the child

Disciplinary methods can sometimes be though synonymous with punishment/physical contact and it's evident that sometimes it will end up being a detriment to children but that isn't the case for all instances. It's not abuse in Panny's case if they chose to assert them and establish guidelines.

I'm Vietnamese, and after the punishment they calm us down and tell us the reason why it bad and my parents will ask us if we learn our lesson.
Now, enough about child abuse, because I'm not being child abuse.

roll credits.

Aviron
08-17-2015, 11:08 PM
The basement crap/outside the house is absolutely nothing. It's essentially just a "time out" and honestly I see nothing wrong with it.

PannyFlan
08-17-2015, 11:09 PM
The basement crap/outside the house is absolutely nothing. It's essentially just a "time out" and honestly I see nothing wrong with it.

Like what she said ^
If I was being abused, I wouldn't even share about it and I wouldn't be the person I'm now.

IYATU
08-17-2015, 11:11 PM
Not really anything to do with growtopia

-----

How is it growtopia related?

Feint
08-17-2015, 11:13 PM
Pfft, I would totally do that.
Expect they are SUPER scary when they are angry.
I don't really like fighting back to my parents, but if it some brats who is bullying, acting like drama queen etc, than yeah. I would go beat her/him up.

I pulled blades before. If they are super scary you just have to be even more intimidating.

My sister, mom, and dad all have anger issues. Surprisingly I'm joyful all the time despite them. My dad's been really strict like limiting me to 1 hour on electronics a day, having to exercise and do a ton of chores before going on electronics, locking my electronics in the safe, etc. But now that I'm older he doesn't do much of that stuff anymore.

Break the safe, obviously.

If the safe has number combination lock, put a bit of oil on the stuff he would regularly touch before going into the safe. Then when he presses the numbers on the lock, it will leave an oil stain.

If the safe has a key, steal the key and make a mold. Then construct the key out of melted plastic, etc.

PannyFlan
08-17-2015, 11:17 PM

-----

This forum ISN'T only for growtopia, beside this is the RTSoft Tavern subform.
Help yourself to a free drink at the RTsoft tavern, kick back, and discuss (almost) whatever pleases ya.

FrostxMC =^.^=
08-17-2015, 11:37 PM
I don't think my parents are that over-protective. They didn't mind me having anything at all when I was young until I did something really brutal to my brother. They stopped giving me dangerous things until I was in 5th grade. They got us some training weapons and a blunt edged metal sword. I wasn't allowed to use it until this year and then my friends came to my house. As we were playing around me and my friend decided to have a duel. He used the metal sword while I used a wooden one and... We both tried to attack lightly although he hit my left eye which is already injured. I got really pissed off and he didn't notice. He tried to slash and then I sorta' broke the metal sword. I guess that's the reason why my parents don't buy me real weapons.

|ThyLuigi|
08-18-2015, 12:33 AM

It fine, I guess. My mom would probably be less protective, but my brother screwed that up for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, the book "A Child Called It" is a perfect example of child abuse.

unconscious98
08-18-2015, 03:47 AM

LIKE A BOSS!!
sorry ill stop now.

when you grow up and your parents becomes bedridden, you'll see why they did that to the three of you. you will appreciate them amd feel their love at it's very peak.

srsly tho, ive watched alot of world's strictest parents, and from what I noticed, parents who shout at their children WITHOUT understanding their reasons are the worst.

Hans
08-18-2015, 03:59 AM
I wouldn't call myself an 'over-protective' family. More like 'caring'.

Last time I was grounded was 2 years ago for not sleeping a whole week and it was only for 1 HOUR. All I had to do was say "sorry" regardless of context.

But they dun maek me do uber cool decisions cu they dont know what i do

Feint
08-18-2015, 04:01 AM

Last time I was grounded was 2 years ago for not sleeping a whole week and it was only for 1 HOUR. All I had to do was say "sorry" regardless of context.

It's all a matter of perspective.

BudderMeow
08-18-2015, 04:16 AM
My mom isn't overprotective.
My dad? I don't really know since I rarely see him anymore.

Hans
08-18-2015, 04:28 AM
It's all a matter of perspective.

Perspective or not, you can tell whether which is the latter average or the factual graph wherin you can distinguish "over-protective" or "abusing" or just "caring".

Pyroworld
08-18-2015, 04:58 AM

is it even possible to not sleep for a week?

Dodo Wizard
08-18-2015, 05:08 AM
My dad is cool about that kinda stuff, but my mom is kinda...not really super protective, but I can't go swimming without a shirt :P I'm about 6"3 and almost 14. Well.

Anyways, on the subject of child abuse and discipline, I find threatening works well enough. My dad always threated the belt when I was little, but he never got it no matter how bad it was.
He's never threatened my little brother with it, and he's a bratwurst.
Anyways, I don't see the issues with hitting your kid hard enough for them to feel it, but not enough for it to hurt bad.
You want discipline, not scarred and angry children.

aooki
08-18-2015, 05:12 AM
My dad is cool about that kinda stuff, but my mom is kinda...not really super protective, but I can't go swimming without a shirt :P I'm about 6"3 and almost 14. Well.

Anyways, on the subject of child abuse and discipline, I find threatening works well enough. My dad always threated the belt when I was little, but he never got it no matter how bad it was.
Anyways, I don't see the issues with hitting your kid hard enough for them to feel it, but not enough for it to hard bad.

Dodo Wizard I feel like we are brothers. That's basically what i was going to say :p

XDCorez
08-18-2015, 05:29 AM

Use an applock, parents are supposed to let their child have their privacy.

Ehh and btw my parents aren't over-protective.

peck
08-18-2015, 05:57 AM
I think there should be a line between physical discipline and child abuse. Almost every child has a time where they need to get beat to grow their fear and demonstrated right and wrong, sitting down and "reasoning" with someone who cannot reason outside of their own view is futile.

Polar
08-18-2015, 05:59 AM

They try to be protective but not over-protective

Arnold
08-18-2015, 10:13 AM
Uhhh, not all of the time.

My dad is okay with most of the things I do, if I justify my actions
My mom has work. But she does sometimes defend me from my older brother.

Revolution
08-18-2015, 10:48 AM
My parents are not over protective, But I've always felt like somebody else around them, My brother always looked out for me but my friends feel like the closest family I've got, and my wife is the most caring person I have close to me.

Hans
08-18-2015, 11:09 AM
is it even possible to not sleep for a week?

Yes.

But it is not humanly possible to not get sick after that.

KKcupcake
08-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Slightly. Which is awesome, but I don't take advantage of it.

DavidH
08-18-2015, 01:37 PM
My dad & mother are always there for me, I'm a smart boy and will try not to lose my perfect GPA, surathtic surgent. I'll keep learning and play for sometimes . I'll be very active in this forums ..

Goal : Becoming a moderator in Growtopia..
2) Help alot of newbies by giving them locks and some good clothings! 48 / 100 ! best place to help newbies is the world called START.

Also, begging and saying "I wan't to be a mod please" will make you're chances less ! do NOT ever spam threads saying "Make me a mod please" ..

26FtW26
08-18-2015, 01:39 PM
Abuse=/=Discipline

I do not understand any of this. But thank you. I guess.

DavidH
08-18-2015, 01:40 PM
If you're parents are treating you like a child , stop the childish acts you're doing, they will talk to you like a man if you talk and show them how you'r a man!

26FtW26
08-18-2015, 01:44 PM

-----

THIS IS THE RTSOFT TAVERN YOU FILTHY CASUAL

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, I don't see the issues with hitting your kid hard enough for them to feel it, but not enough for it to hard bad.

Same, my dad always threatened me with a belt when I was little. But, I have always been good at looking through people and I never feared it.
I understand bluffs and lies better than a lot of people, for I myself am a master of lying.

Nathan Shew
08-18-2015, 01:47 PM
After reading this thread,
I seriously salute pannyflan and her parents
Her parents are so strict yet sounds so kind
She loves her family even though they are so "over-protective"
:hat:

ElectroDream
08-18-2015, 02:17 PM
Use an applock, parents are supposed to let their child have their privacy.

Ehh and btw my parents aren't over-protective.

They must know the password. :sweatdrop:

But still, I don't mind having my dad checking my phone, or placing CCTV.

26FtW26
08-18-2015, 02:25 PM
They must know the password. :sweatdrop:

But still, I don't mind having my dad checking my phone, or placing CCTV.

again
not my typa person

your parents are abusing their rights as parents
blablabla

may they go and eat a horse

Ringo Engstrom
08-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Me: Dad can i go kill people on the street?

Dad: Ok

(JK)

But my parents are reaally chill.

Hans
08-18-2015, 02:44 PM
THIS IS THE RTSOFT TAVERN YOU FILTHY CASUAL

- - - Updated - - -

Same, my dad always threatened me with a belt when I was little. But, I have always been good at looking through people and I never feared it.
I understand bluffs and lies better than a lot of people, for I myself am a master of lying.

Nice ironic bluff.

Jk men jk.