PDA

View Full Version : Requesting for help

Typical
08-24-2015, 01:02 AM
As the title suggests, I'm in dire need of help with my project for computer science class. Before anyone jumps the gun on me, I'll say this: I'm not expecting anyone to do my homework for me, all that I ask for is advice on a few subjects that I find difficult (even after searching on Google.)

So basically, I have to create a powerpoint comparing a Mac and a Dell. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to technology, and all these terms and components are really overwhelming. The main objective is to highlight the major (and minor) differences between the two, and hopefully reach a conclusion of which computer is preferable.

I've interviewed a friend, and he is quite a hardcore gamer. That being said, I've decided to base my project on comparing and finding an appropriate computer to suit his needs as a gamer.

So I'm given 12 different components, to research on, which I did and have a fairly rough understanding of what they are and what they do (although it's still confusing here and there.)

The components are:
1. Processor
2. Operating System
3. Memory
4. Hard Drive
5. Optical drive
6. Monitor
7. Video Card
8. Sound Card
9. Speakers
10. Keyboard
11. Mouse
12. Modem

And basically, I need to list what these components do and what the price ranges are (and how well they compare to other models)

Also, I've always had this idea that Apple computers are terrible for gaming, is this true?

Now, I completely understand that this is a lot to ask, but I've tried to research on these components, and I really have a hard time understanding. I'm not as computer-savvy as most kids are nowadays.

I'd appreciate any input given.

GIGeo
08-24-2015, 01:09 AM
As the title suggests, I'm in dire need of help with my project for computer science class. Before anyone jumps the gun on me, I'll say this: I'm not expecting anyone to do my homework for me, all that I ask for is advice on a few subjects that I find difficult (even after searching on Google.)

So basically, I have to create a powerpoint comparing a Mac and a Dell. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to technology, and all these terms and components are really overwhelming. The main objective is to highlight the major (and minor) differences between the two, and hopefully reach a conclusion of which computer is preferable.

I've interviewed a friend, and he is quite a hardcore gamer. That being said, I've decided to base my project on comparing and finding an appropriate computer to suit his needs as a gamer.

So I'm given 12 different components, to research on, which I did and have a fairly rough understanding of what they are and what they do (although it's still confusing here and there.)

The components are:
1. Processor
2. Operating System
3. Memory
4. Hard Drive
5. Optical drive
6. Monitor
7. Video Card
8. Sound Card
9. Speakers
10. Keyboard
11. Mouse
12. Modem

And basically, I need to list what these components do and what the price ranges are (and how well they compare to other models)

Also, I've always had this idea that Apple computers are terrible for gaming, is this true?

Now, I completely understand that this is a lot to ask, but I've tried to research on these components, and I really have a hard time understanding. I'm not as computer-savvy as most kids are nowadays.

Research me laddie/lassie. Look it up. Its not hard to type in google and research these. I can try to walk you thru some of it.

Typical
08-24-2015, 01:13 AM
Research me laddie/lassie. Look it up. Its not hard to type in google and research these. I can try to walk you thru some of it.

I HAVE done research on these. It's the explanation from these sites that I don't understand. The jargon that's used isn't easy for someone who's unfamiliar with them. Like I said, all that i ask for is a nice, easy explanation, and perhaps a few insight to help me make my decisions.

raqk
08-24-2015, 01:13 AM
Apple computers aren't neccessarily bad for gaming. Don't listen to the hordes of windows fanboys out their who probably haven't even used a Mac in their lives.

Vallvina
08-24-2015, 01:15 AM

The components are:
1. Processor
2. Operating System
3. Memory
4. Hard Drive
5. Optical drive
6. Monitor
7. Video Card
8. Sound Card
9. Speakers
10. Keyboard
11. Mouse
12. Modem

I know nothing of what you speak of.

But you can always try this website: http://www.diffen.com/

DahUnikorn
08-24-2015, 01:18 AM
Apple computers aren't neccessarily bad for gaming. Don't listen to the hordes of windows fanboys out their who probably haven't even used a Mac in their lives.

someone gets me :yeah:

I use a Mac for GT and my docs, but to be honest Macs are considered "office" or "school" type computers. Windows is better for gamers, in my opinion. :ninja:

Bruce Wayne
08-24-2015, 02:26 AM

The components are:
1. Processor
2. Operating System
3. Memory
4. Hard Drive
5. Optical drive
6. Monitor
7. Video Card
8. Sound Card
9. Speakers
10. Keyboard
11. Mouse
12. Modem

You can't really compare a mouse, keyboard, and modem. They're usually made by third person companies.

craft3d
08-24-2015, 02:37 AM

It's not the hardware that sucks; it's the OS and the way the software interacts with the hardware.

Apple screwed that up good.

- - - Updated - - -

The components are:
1. Processor
2. Operating System
3. Memory
4. Hard Drive
5. Optical drive
6. Monitor
7. Video Card
8. Sound Card
9. Speakers
10. Keyboard
11. Mouse
12. Modem

OK, I think I understand the issue, but can you give me a more rundown version of what you meant. (Meaning just tell me what you want us to help you with)

Typical
08-24-2015, 02:56 AM
It's not the hardware that sucks; it's the OS and the way the software interacts with the hardware.

Apple screwed that up good.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I think I understand the issue, but can you give me a more rundown version of what you meant. (Meaning just tell me what you want us to help you with)

Basically, I just want a simple explanation of each part, and a price range for these components. And really, just a comparison of Mac and Dell. It doesn't have to be detailed, but just a general comparison in terms of performance in gaming.

raqk
08-24-2015, 03:11 AM
Basically, I just want a simple explanation of each part, and a price range for these components. And really, just a comparison of Mac and Dell. It doesn't have to be detailed, but just a general comparison in terms of performance in gaming.

Basic explanation of all components. Not 100% correct, but it is all you really need to know and it makes it simpler.

1. Processor: processes stuff
2. Operating System: Basically windows, and the Mac equivalent, Mac OS X
3. Memory: basically anything stored temporarily or permanently.
4. Hard Drive: what (for example: games) you store stuff on
5. Optical drive: where you insert CDs
6. Monitor: what you are looking at while using the computer
7. Video Card: basically Controlling what you see
8. Sound Card: basically controlling what you hear
9. Speakers: basically allowing you to hear
10. Keyboard: allows you to type
11. Mouse: allows you to move your cursor
12. Modem: basically, Internet.

Typical
08-24-2015, 03:18 AM
Basic explanation of all components. Not 100% correct, but it is all you really need to know and it makes it simpler.

1. Processor: processes stuff
2. Operating System: Basically windows, and the Mac equivalent, Mac OS X
3. Memory: basically anything stored temporarily or permanently.
4. Hard Drive: what (for example: games) you store stuff on
5. Optical drive: where you insert CDs
6. Monitor: what you are looking at while using the computer
7. Video Card: basically Controlling what you see
8. Sound Card: basically controlling what you hear
9. Speakers: basically allowing you to hear
10. Keyboard: allows you to type
11. Mouse: allows you to move your cursor
12. Modem: basically, Internet.

So the memory is stored in the hard drive? Or are they completely separate from each other?

raqk
08-24-2015, 03:28 AM
So the memory is stored in the hard drive? Or are they completely separate from each other?

Well there are different kinds of memory. I won't go through and explain them all, and I won't go into much detail, but here are the basics: There are two categories. Volatile memory and non-volatile memory. Volatile memory requires the computer to be powered on and so it would be temporarily. Non-volatile memory is a more permanent type of memory that does not require power and would be stored on the hard drive.

Typical
08-24-2015, 03:37 AM
Well there are different kinds of memory. I won't go through and explain them all, and I won't go into much detail, but here are the basics: There are two categories. Volatile memory and non-volatile memory. Volatile memory requires the computer to be powered on and so it would be temporarily. Non-volatile memory is a more permanent type of memory that does not require power and would be stored on the hard drive.

Thanks, that's more than enough.