PDA

View Full Version : How do I study?

PannyFlan
08-29-2015, 08:30 PM
I never been serious with studying, since my grades aren't horrible.
Now that i'm gonna be a 7th grader, I should be serious about my grades to get in a good college.
Problem is... I have no idea how to study, do we use the notes we take from class? Use big textbooks and try to study with them, or do we practice on random worksheets??
I never went to summer school, and my parents told me I don't need too, soo...
I got the MCA student grade report, and i'm barely a average. JUST BARELY. My parents was disappointed since they expected me to exceed like my cousin.
So, I wanna know how do I get to the exceed point, but not the average?
Someone halp please, school starting in 2 weeks ;n;.

PannyFlan
08-29-2015, 08:51 PM
Someone halpp me.
What do we learn in 7th grade?

SageDeoxys
08-29-2015, 08:54 PM
Now that i'm gonna be a 7th grader, I should be serious about my grades to get in a good college.
Problem is... I have no idea how to study, do we use the notes we take from class? Use big textbooks and try to study with them, or do we practice on random worksheets??
I got the MCA student grade report, and i'm barely a average. JUST BARELY. My parents was disappointed since they expected me to exceed like my cousin.

To be honest, I've never done any hardcore studying, mostly because its unnecessary for me. I was actually in the top 10 highest GPAs last year in 8th grade.
Ok, now with the help. I recommend you take down notes on anything you believe is useful or you're afraid you won't remember. Read over what you've written down once you think you'll need it, but don't wait until the last day before a test. Keep the notes in an organized space in case you'll need them some time in the future. If you think that won't be enough and you won't be able to have it well studied, go with your class's respective teacher for help. Remember to actually pay attention to what you're studying and don't just skim over it, because it will screw you over real hard.

And as to 7th grade, I can't help too much. Half of that year I spent it in a school at Mexico, and I'm sure they teach different stuff over there than they do here. Just expect reading a few novels here and there.

ZeroRarity
08-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Textbooks helps a lot everytime you have an exam, also note taking. But seriously, it all ends up on what type of studying you benefit best. Some loves to study quietly without any noise, while others love to speak out everything he/she is studying. The only sure thing I can tell you is that you should never cram your grades. Always aim for the high score, so you won't need to stress yourself at the end of the semester just to get a high grade/barely passing grade.

P.S No matter how smart you are during your early education, there will still be the time where you will feel dumb in college. Hahaha.

xZachCottonx
08-29-2015, 09:11 PM
If you're having trouble studying, try emailing support@growtopiagame.com

TheSphere
08-29-2015, 09:13 PM
Someone halpp me.
What do we learn in 7th grade?

How old are you? Your animations are amazing.

And if your 7th Grade is anything like mine,or your anything like me,just don't change.I'm stilling getting top of the class results and I'm heading into Year 8.

Shouldn't be hard,unless you don't get the very best.jkjk

Umm,Put chocolate at the end of your textbook! And make sure the pages are unskippable.

dov36Kaizo
08-29-2015, 09:13 PM
Seventh grader? How old are you?

SageDeoxys
08-29-2015, 09:19 PM

Do me a favor and stop with that horrible overused joke. Actually try and be helpful, will you?

xZachCottonx
08-29-2015, 09:20 PM
Do me a favor and stop with that horrible overused joke. Actually try and be helpful, will you?

Do me a favor and evolve again.

TheSphere
08-29-2015, 09:22 PM

I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No offence Sage.

PannyFlan
08-29-2015, 09:24 PM
Seventh grader? How old are you?
I'm 12 year old now, and turning 13 in November.

- - - Updated - - -

How old are you? Your animations are amazing.

And if your 7th Grade is anything like mine,or your anything like me,just don't change.I'm stilling getting top of the class results and I'm heading into Year 8.

Shouldn't be hard,unless you don't get the very best.jkjk

Umm,Put chocolate at the end of your textbook! And make sure the pages are unskippable.

Thanks, I'm 12 year old and turning 13 in November.

TheSphere
08-29-2015, 09:25 PM

I'm turning 13 next year.
And I'm going Year 8... o.O

ArmanBzc
08-29-2015, 09:25 PM
Well, well..
I was a 7th grader this year, now getting to 8.
Well, I don't usually study.. I listen to the teacher at school and do my homework's..
Whenever I had to study extra.. I just read my school books and read the notes that
I took on my notebook at school..

Sometimes I can't find the information that I need on book.. So,
I search what I need on google..
(Google knows everything)

(My schools are starting 2 day later :panic::panic::panic: )

PannyFlan
08-29-2015, 09:26 PM
To be honest, I've never done any hardcore studying, mostly because its unnecessary for me. I was actually in the top 10 highest GPAs last year in 8th grade.
Ok, now with the help. I recommend you take down notes on anything you believe is useful or you're afraid you won't remember. Read over what you've written down once you think you'll need it, but don't wait until the last day before a test. Keep the notes in an organized space in case you'll need them some time in the future. If you think that won't be enough and you won't be able to have it well studied, go with your class's respective teacher for help. Remember to actually pay attention to what you're studying and don't just skim over it, because it will screw you over real hard.

And as to 7th grade, I can't help too much. Half of that year I spent it in a school at Mexico, and I'm sure they teach different stuff over there than they do here. Just expect reading a few novels here and there.

Okay, so I just have to use the notes that I don't understand, or i'm 100% not sure if I will remember lr not, and if I have a problem I will ask a teacher. Okay, thanks :3

dov36Kaizo
08-29-2015, 09:30 PM

Thanks, I'm 12 year old and turning 13 in November.

... What's the exact date?

SageDeoxys
08-29-2015, 09:32 PM
Okay, so I just have to use the notes that I don't understand, or i'm 100% not sure if I will remember lr not, and if I have a problem I will ask a teacher. Okay, thanks :3
Pretty much. I don't like paraphrasing stuff though, cuz I wanna look smarter than I am.
Good luck with 7th grade! I already started High school last week, and it was stressful. Luckily not as stressful as I expected, but dayum I get loads of homework, which shouldn't be too big of an issue in Middle School.

PannyFlan
08-29-2015, 09:38 PM
... What's the exact date?

November 6.

dov36Kaizo
08-29-2015, 09:39 PM
November 6.

One day after my ex-classmate that looks like you and 6 days before me. GG.

PannyFlan
08-29-2015, 09:43 PM
One day after my ex-classmate that looks like you and 6 days before me. GG.

I don't get it.

dov36Kaizo
08-29-2015, 09:44 PM
I don't get it.

Nevermind.

Robert Petrov
08-29-2015, 10:00 PM
You'll be studying in seventh grade : Geographi,biology,Languages (In my school Russian,English,Estonian),Sport,computer knowlege (Maybe),maths,Mothertongue theres indeed more, But since I'm going to sixth grade I don't really know.
To study effectly you need to Mark everything you think you won't remember.Be patient and behaviour good in lessons.Then teachers will like you,You will study well.BE very patient especially in Maths!
That's my opinion :] Try it out :]

xZachCottonx
08-29-2015, 10:02 PM
im in preschool going into kindergarden

PannyFlan
08-29-2015, 10:03 PM
You'll be studying in seventh grade : Geographi,biology,Languages (In my school Russian,English,Estonian),Sport,computer knowlege (Maybe),maths,Mothertongue theres indeed more, But since I'm going to sixth grade I don't really know.
To study effectly you need to Mark everything you think you won't remember.Be patient and behaviour good in lessons.Then teachers will like you,You will study well.BE very patient especially in Maths!

Mhm. My only choice for now is too use the notes, and be patience.
Thanks.

Carlo Miguel Velasco
08-29-2015, 10:03 PM

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAT?! Your school offers lingual classes?!

All I want is for Philippines's curriculum Lingual Classes... ;-;

Maryjane
08-29-2015, 10:47 PM
To be honest, you don't need to study much just listen to your teacher. Although, if you insist. *vomits a gazillion books*

You need to write down the most important information in your notebook. Just important details, phrases, or words that describe an important word.
Like if you're studying science/English
you need to write stuff like:
DNA -Deoxyribonucleicacid, carries most genetic instructions for development of a human
Mass = Weight / acceleration of gravity (9.8 m/s^2)

Then study it when you require the information for quizzes or exams.

Usually in math, all you have to do is write down the examples given to you by the teacher then study it mentally.
Like how did the teacher do this and that. If you didn't get it, you can always just ask the teacher for a thorough explanation.

Voila passable grades.

SageDeoxys
08-29-2015, 10:51 PM
DNA -Deoxyribonucleicacid, carries most genetic instructions for development of a human
Did someone call for me?

Maryjane
08-29-2015, 11:27 PM
Did someone call for me?

Course i did.

ahahaaa.

Liammagoo
08-29-2015, 11:40 PM
0:16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8UDoIaVYng

But in all serious, it's all about revision, paying attention and not falling asleep.

SageDeoxys
08-29-2015, 11:47 PM
7th grade doesn't matter concerning grades for college.

So you're basically telling her to slack off and don't worry about anything? Well you sure live up to your name. And yes, every grade (except Pre-k) do matter. How are you going to get to 8th grade, then to 9th, then to 10th and so on to later make it to college? Try and give good advice, please.

Deimantas Lebedevas
08-29-2015, 11:54 PM
You basiclly get a smart watch, install cortana on it, and then go like
"Cortana tell me the answers, and shh..."
While she yells:
"SHUT UP I NO SPEAK ENGLISH!"

Or just basically be smart:crazy:

IcyElectrons
08-29-2015, 11:54 PM

Use notes,study on other sources,and the most of all,try your best

MyLegGuy
08-30-2015, 12:01 AM
Do collages look at your middle school classes where you live? Where I live collages only look the only high school courses. And the only ones you can take in 7th grade are are Algebra and a foreign language where I live. Both of which I took.

Anyway, why are you trying to study before school starts? There's nothing to study for. Wait until you have a quiz or test or something.

You're worrying to much. You'll be fine.

SageDeoxys
08-30-2015, 12:05 AM
Do collages look at your middle school classes where you live? Where I live collages only look the only high school courses. And the only ones you can take in 7th grade are are Algebra and a foreign language where I live. Both of which I took.

Anyway, why are you trying to study before school starts? There's nothing to study for. Wait until you have a quiz or test or something.

You're worrying to much. You'll be fine.
She wants to be mentally prepared and wants to know what to do when the time comes to study. If I were about to enter the 7th grade, I'd be paranoid as much as you take life for granted.

Evortez
08-30-2015, 12:44 AM

You kidding me??

ScribbleCat
08-30-2015, 12:50 AM

Well it could be different in your school... but from my experience in grade 7, going from grade 6 to grade 7 was quite the jump. In grade 6 our homework was very loose, and we barely got any. It was mostly just what we didn't finish in class. But in grade 7 they gave us legitimate homework and tasks... UUUUGH WHYY. I managed fine, but it was quite the surprise to me at first, after realizing how much is actually was.
Just do your best and have fun! :wave:

Aram Sevag
08-30-2015, 01:15 AM
Sleeping early and not being disturbed by classmates is overall all you need to succeed IMO.

Magicalfishy
08-30-2015, 01:22 AM

Okay, that's one decent joke you've made. :p

KKcupcake
08-30-2015, 01:40 AM
My grades are slightly above average, so these are my tips.
Take in as much info from a textbook then ask your parents to test you on the different topics, especially for science.
After doing worksheets, learn from your mistakes. Cover up your wrong answers and attempt it again to see if you really know.
If you are doing hardcore studying, remember to take 15-20 min breaks after every hr. This will make sure you don't overwork. I suffered the consequences of this and got a headache after studying mercilessly for 2.5 h in 5th grade. *shudder*
Find out which subjects you are weaker in and devote more time to those.
Questions? Approach your teacher or friend. Don't copy blindly, make sure you understand.
Also sleep at least 7h.

don't expect too many tips, i'm in 6th grade, spare meh!

PonyGarYelow
08-30-2015, 01:59 AM
Notes are bae for good grades.
Basically, make sure to listen to your teacher in class, and usually they'll give you opportunities to take notes or even sometimes guide you in a note taking direction.

There are 2 note taking systems that I like, which are the cornell notes and a note taking thing that my 6th grade science teacher taught us.

Some people do cornell notes differently, but the general idea is like this;
http://site.shopwritersbloc.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Cornell-Notes-Web.jpg
If you have a standard textbook that has vocabulary words and key questions on the side, then you just plug them in onto the left bar, and write notes on the right bar.

The second alternative can also be used to take notes in the right bar of cornell notes. I prefer this note taking strategy, it goes something like.

Big Idea
I. Sub-Big Idea
___A. Idea within Sub-Big Idea
______a. Explanation of ^^^^
_________1. Maybe something extra
___B. Another idea within Sub-Big Idea

An example of one of these is this;

The Southern Colonies
I. Settlement in Jamestown
______a. Merchants asked King James I to establish settlement in 1605
______b. King granted in Virginia in 1606
___A. Founding a New colony
______a. 4/26/1607 - 105 colonist sent by London colony go to america
______b. 5/14/1607 - Colonist found Jamestown 40 miles up James River
II. Daily Life in Virginia
___A. Headright System
______a. Colonist who paid own way to Virginia received 50 acres
______b. + 50 acres 4 every person brought

It makes it easier if you don't write the full sentence, as long as you get the general idea down in a way you can understand, it's fine.

Also, a history teacher taught us to make this thing called "Post Assessments." We would take everything we learned in that history unit, and write a story about it. By writing the story, you are creating a way to recap everything you learned that unit as a study guide and you also get to study a bit when you are writing the story.

Gud luck in 7th grade.

*Had to put the ____ because putting empty spaces wouldn't work.

Derpyderp
08-30-2015, 02:14 AM
my study process
its more like "I hate myself, good luck"

XDCorez
08-30-2015, 02:31 AM
im in preschool going into kindergarden

Shut the hell up.
1 Jokes, okay.
2 jokes, meh.
3 jokes, i have to come and make you shut up.
So shut up with your moronic jokes.

xZachCottonx
08-30-2015, 02:36 AM
Shut the hell up.
1 Jokes, okay.
2 jokes, meh.

Mad? Little girl? I'll 360 no scope you. so don't speak.

SageDeoxys
08-30-2015, 02:37 AM
Shut the hell up.
1 Jokes, okay.
2 jokes, meh.
Just about what I wanted to say, but then again I dun wan infraciones.

xZachCottonx
08-30-2015, 02:39 AM
Just about what I wanted to say, but then again I dun wan infraciones.

I bet you don't.

Indicative
08-30-2015, 02:48 AM
One good way to study is to write the material in your notes and in the textbook in your own words. That way you can think about it in your own terms instead of textbook language. Incorporate your summaries into your notes, if there is a connection. You can also make an outline. Organize it by main ideas and only the most important subpoints.

After that, make a weekly schedule and devote a certain amount of time per day to study the notes. This will also improve your grades. Make sure you stick to your schedule as much as possible but don't be afraid to go off of plan sometimes to study more for the most recent upcoming exam. Make sure this study plan is realistic and not impossible.

Make enough time in your schedule to get enough sleep. Get a good night's sleep every night and you'll be making the best of your study time. This is important as you lead up to the test, and especially important right before you take the test. Staying up all night studying may sound like a good idea, but skip the all-night cram session. If you study throughout the weeks, you won't need to cram anyway. Getting a good night's sleep will help you perform better.

TLDR - Take notes from teacher and summarize your textbook. Make study schedule. :rolleyes:

Tjsp
08-30-2015, 03:00 AM

Most probably focus on math. Polynomials (Add, Subtract, Multiply, Divide), Square Roots, Algebraic Expressions, Scientific Notation. Where do you live? It might depend on where you live though.

- - - Updated - - -

Notes are bae for good grades.
Basically, make sure to listen to your teacher in class, and usually they'll give you opportunities to take notes or even sometimes guide you in a note taking direction.

There are 2 note taking systems that I like, which are the cornell notes and a note taking thing that my 6th grade science teacher taught us.

Some people do cornell notes differently, but the general idea is like this;
http://site.shopwritersbloc.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Cornell-Notes-Web.jpg
If you have a standard textbook that has vocabulary words and key questions on the side, then you just plug them in onto the left bar, and write notes on the right bar.

The second alternative can also be used to take notes in the right bar of cornell notes. I prefer this note taking strategy, it goes something like.

Big Idea
I. Sub-Big Idea
___A. Idea within Sub-Big Idea
______a. Explanation of ^^^^
_________1. Maybe something extra
___B. Another idea within Sub-Big Idea

An example of one of these is this;

The Southern Colonies
I. Settlement in Jamestown
______a. Merchants asked King James I to establish settlement in 1605
______b. King granted in Virginia in 1606
___A. Founding a New colony
______a. 4/26/1607 - 105 colonist sent by London colony go to america
______b. 5/14/1607 - Colonist found Jamestown 40 miles up James River
II. Daily Life in Virginia
___A. Headright System
______a. Colonist who paid own way to Virginia received 50 acres
______b. + 50 acres 4 every person brought

It makes it easier if you don't write the full sentence, as long as you get the general idea down in a way you can understand, it's fine.

Also, a history teacher taught us to make this thing called "Post Assessments." We would take everything we learned in that history unit, and write a story about it. By writing the story, you are creating a way to recap everything you learned that unit as a study guide and you also get to study a bit when you are writing the story.

Gud luck in 7th grade.

*Had to put the ____ because putting empty spaces wouldn't work.

Wow that helped so much I had to save it.

IceKane
08-30-2015, 03:08 PM
Just a random tip: Do random research in random topics, at least a bit related to the subject. In Grade 4, I totally just read a textbook about Math for 4th Graders, yes, the whole book, and until now, Grade 9, I had no trouble in Math at all. Normally random blunders here and there, but I understood the whole thing.

I dunno, about you, but I do random research and look for trivia on the net. We're an advanced society, right? Just my thoughts about studying.

PS. I never study, but I get good grades.

GTLighty
08-30-2015, 03:13 PM
7th grade won't be too hard. My advice is read the textbook and take your personal notes in a way that you will understand.

Also LISTEN in class. This is really boring, but believe me, just listening in class helped me ace my exams without studying that much.

bubblehubble_
08-31-2015, 01:30 AM
My advice would be to when going through textbooks and writing notes, highlight all of the important stuff you have to remember. This helps you later on when you have to know the big ideas, just read through the highlighted sections of your notes. Also making flash cards is a great idea to help you memorize stuff! Hope this helped you and best of luck :)

bubble <3

Applez
08-31-2015, 01:31 AM

Do me a favor and take a joke.

YukamilkyGT
09-03-2015, 01:24 AM
What!? I didn't know you were younger than me! Your drawings and animations are so amazing (Mines are Trash) Anyways, Well I'm 13, Turning 14 in April and I'm already in 7th Grade. I don't really study but when I do I use my Testbook, Notes or use an Internet XD (sometimes). But I could get super lazy so I just Play around like an idiot. Really though, Just pay attention to your teacher and get help from your parents, friends or whatever. Sorry about this pointless thing don't know why I bother to post XD...

unconscious98
09-03-2015, 02:08 AM
do not memorize. understand it, not memorize.
although each people have their own studying techniques so i dunno if this applies to you

PannyFlan
09-03-2015, 02:44 AM
I think I get the point of studying now.
No need to reply to this thread, I will listen in class like usual and take notes for the first time and actually use them :sweatdrop:
Thanks to everyone who take their time on this thread :)

Pentonix
09-03-2015, 05:43 AM

Look, studying is something we all hate. Sure, anyone can get a textbook or write some notes, but in the end, it's you who will be using them.
IMO, the best way to study isn't just writing notes or reading textbooks or doing worksheets, it's teaching others. It's been proven that you learn more when you teach others, because the fact that you are explaining something to others also means that you are explaining it for yourself. And it doesn't even have to be real teaching. It can be teaching your dog, or the wall, or your sibling, or your friends in Growtopia xD but as long as you're trying to explain something the faster you learn and understand.

Aunos
09-03-2015, 05:51 AM
Your lucky you thought about it sooner, last year I become grade 7 I was chill as I was in elementary. From 88-87 card score I got like 85-84 :sweatdrop:

Second year I started with many fails so I really need to step up my studies too.

Tips: listen in class. If you listen in class you don't need to study anymore at home since you know allready. Only a short review.

Take notes! Start every class with a pen and paper ready to take notes! (They help ALOT)

Don't get distracted: (my weakness) games, friends, social media (forums) can distract you from studying. (I'm supposed to be studying but in forums instead :crazy:) so disconnect from them and go somewhere in your house where you won't get distracted.

Hope it helps!

golddash
09-03-2015, 05:58 AM
7th grade is all chill so you don't really have to worry about it. But if you do need to study, just use the textbooks. Also do cornell notes since they can help you understand what the hell the book is telling you.