PDA

View Full Version : Religion mass delusion

Space
09-01-2015, 03:11 PM
When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Magicalfishy
09-01-2015, 03:28 PM
A belief in atheism and/or secular humanism is a religion. A religion is a collection based upon your values and world view. You cannot deny that by your own words you suffer from insanity.

Hans
09-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Religion is the attempt of humans to reach God, wherein now believing in what you must believe is the attempt of God to reach humans.

So I say you say what you want.

Space
09-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Religions based off of all powerful beings seems a bit far fetched. The law of parsimony says that the simplest suggestion is mostly the right suggestion. What is more likely: An all powerful being creates the world in 7 days and and makes a new gender out of the rib of his son and left no proof of his existence or that he doesnt exist and we created him so we wont feel lonely in the giant universe.

Magicalfishy
09-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Religions based off of all powerful beings seems a bit far fetched. The law of parsimony says that the simplest suggestion is mostly the right suggestion. What is more likely: An all powerful being creates the world in 7 days and and makes a new gender out of the rib of his son and left no proof of his existence or that he doesnt exist and we created him so we wont feel lonely in the giant universe.

A creator or randomly bursting into existence? When a piece art is created, it is created by someone or something, it doesn't randomly burst into existence. I'm not one to judge, but personally I believe following the ways and beliefs of society that is taught to the masses is foolish. Choose your own beliefs, don't follow someone else's just because they are the most popular. :)

Space
09-01-2015, 03:57 PM
though we have proof that objects in the universe and even on earth are millions if not billions of years old. Look at plastic, produced by oil which took millions of years to produce. And fossils of dinosaurs dating back to at least 65 million years ago, way before the first ape like humans even existed. Though Christianity states that the world was created in 7 days.
There is no proof what so ever that god ever existed.

Hans
09-01-2015, 04:25 PM
though we have proof that objects in the universe and even on earth are millions if not billions of years old. Look at plastic, produced by oil which took millions of years to produce. And fossils of dinosaurs dating back to at least 65 million years ago, way before the first ape like humans even existed. Though Christianity states that the world was created in 7 days.

This is where really we are confused, we have no proof whatsoever that these events did happen nor exist but it does not justify there is no mighty creator of all this universe, am I correct? So that past doesn't matter as it may be as well a wild guess from human beings, but the fact that there may be someone who created this universe and relatively, us, cannot vanish as long as religion exists.

Space
09-01-2015, 04:34 PM
This is where really we are confused, we have no proof whatsoever that these events did happen nor exist but it does not justify there is no mighty creator of all this universe, am I correct? So that past doesn't matter as it may be as well a wild guess from human beings, but the fact that there may be someone who created this universe and relatively, us, cannot vanish as long as religion exists.

equipment my friend...

Magicalfishy
09-01-2015, 05:04 PM

There is no proof on objects being that old, scientist just claim that. The flood actually makes sense in place of billions of years if you think about it. Continents, mountains, the entire structure of the earth was reshaped... don't you think that would create an after effect that is today claimed proof of evolution by scientists? There are many logical explanations that would actually put the earth in place of destruction and even it being long gone if the earth was really that old.

Space
09-01-2015, 05:33 PM
There is no proof on objects being that old, scientist just claim that. The flood actually makes sense in place of billions of years if you think about it. Continents, mountains, the entire structure of the earth was reshaped... don't you think that would create an after effect that is today claimed proof of evolution by scientists? There are many logical explanations that would actually put the earth in place of destruction and even it being long gone if the earth was really that old.

No evidence? What a joke, are you being serious or are you trying to be a troller? If not which I really do hope you know the earth is constantly being reshaped, it's called erosion. You don't quite understand the vastness of space I guess just to put things into perspective the moon is 400.000 km away. That's 700 times bigger than the circumference of the earth and thats just the closest celestial body. The sun is one astronomical unit away from the earth 149,597,870 km which is about 40 times larger than the distance to the moon. The distance from Neptune to the sun is 4,503,443,661 km which is 4.5 BILLION km. Asteroids enter earth Atmosphere thousands of times per year but they burn due to heating. This is also known as falling stars. The chance of a real big asteroid hitting earth is extremely small but it has happened for example the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

I assume you are critical when reading the bible and that you might question some stories.

Solsagann
09-01-2015, 05:36 PM
That's quite a hot debate. Please keep it civil lads, since it usually goes crazy incredibly fast (Although you're doing great, thank you !).

ill be watchin doe

Magicalfishy
09-01-2015, 06:40 PM
No evidence? What a joke, are you being serious or are you trying to be a troller? If not which I really do hope you know the earth is constantly being reshaped, it's called erosion. You don't quite understand the vastness of space I guess just to put things into perspective the moon is 400.000 km away. That's 700 times bigger than the circumference of the earth and thats just the closest celestial body. The sun is one astronomical unit away from the earth 149,597,870 km which is about 40 times larger than the distance to the moon. The distance from Neptune to the sun is 4,503,443,661 km which is 4.5 BILLION km. Asteroids enter earth Atmosphere thousands of times per year but they burn due to heating. This is also known as falling stars. The chance of a real big asteroid hitting earth is extremely small but it has happened for example the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

I assume you are critical when reading the bible and that you might question some stories.

Flood /=\ Astroid
The asteroid is the secular humanist excuse for the flood, and were you there 65 million years ago? Why do you hold on to such beliefs that are taught to the masses... can humans not think for themselves without getting critiqued?

And yes, I was serious. I am very aware of erosion, but I am talking about massive changes, not slow ones over time.

Woah woah, hold your horses. No need to get hostile here just because I claimed there was no proof of evolution. I can tell when people do not want to listen or be open to opinions. :sweatdrop:

That's quite a hot debate. Please keep it civil lads, since it usually goes crazy incredibly fast (Although you're doing great, thank you !).

ill be watchin doe

Solsa. I won't let it get out of hand. I know when to stop, and now is a good time.

*sigh* I miss the days when people were civil enough to have decent calm debates.

Kireek
09-01-2015, 06:54 PM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/583/047/803.png

Hans
09-01-2015, 07:03 PM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/583/047/803.png

u sure r one funny guy

Space
09-01-2015, 07:41 PM
Flood /=\ Astroid
The asteroid is the secular humanist excuse for the flood, and were you there 65 million years ago? Why do you hold on to such beliefs that are taught to the masses... can humans not think for themselves without getting critiqued?

And yes, I was serious. I am very aware of erosion, but I am talking about massive changes, not slow ones over time.

Woah woah, hold your horses. No need to get hostile here just because I claimed there was no proof of evolution. I can tell when people do not want to listen or be open to opinions. :sweatdrop:

Solsa. I won't let it get out of hand. I know when to stop, and now is a good time.

*sigh* I miss the days when people were civil enough to have decent calm debates.

Didnt intend to come over as aggressive or hostile, my bad.

peck
09-02-2015, 12:15 AM
There is absolutely no possible way to get proof of a Gods existance and no possible way to get proof that there isn't a god.
For many, the Bible is meant to be taken metaphorical/universal law. So you silly hardcore atheists that back yourselves up with "there's no way for someone to turn stone into wine and the bible says so so I don't believe in a god" can know what religion is about before criticizing it.
The bible was written by people, even if it's claimed to be "messages sent from god" there are quite a few contradictions created through human-society influence.

Prove god is/isn't real
Pro tip: you cant.

Feint
09-02-2015, 12:19 AM
When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

similar to the saying, taking an idea from one is plagiarism, taking ideas from many is research

iHateThis
09-02-2015, 12:39 AM
There may be no proof, but it still feels nice to know Therese a bigger being watching over me.

It may be "delusional", but I like it that way.

peck
09-02-2015, 02:17 AM
There may be no proof, but it still feels nice to know Therese a bigger being watching over me.

It may be "delusional", but I like it that way.

And that leads up to the point, if there's no way to tell of a god even exists you just pick a side. Being religious does no harm and I tend to see more charity done through church organizations than hardcore atheist fedora tippers claiming they do so much more.

Being a part of a church community has a lot of pros and if you're in a good church, no cons.
I personally don't believe in a god but going to church let's you meet the right people and homes self improvement.

iHateThis
09-02-2015, 02:27 AM
And that leads up to the point, if there's no way to tell of a god even exists you just pick a side. Being religious does no harm and I tend to see more charity done through church organizations than hardcore atheist fedora tippers claiming they do so much more.

Being a part of a church community has a lot of pros and if you're in a good church, no cons.
I personally don't believe in a god but going to church let's you meet the right people and homes self improvement.

I'm a Roman Catholic Christian BTW, and I just can't stand when others bash us.

Half the time they just assume Christians are the ones bashing Homosexuals, etc; But its really just some extremist forms like the Westburro Baptist Church.

A TRUE christian would know to love everybody, and anyone who said otherwise, such as hating a minority, is not a part of a religion, but a hate group.

God DOES love everybody, and won't damn somebody to hell for if they believe something different or are something different.

Atheists seem to love making themselves a "master race", but by doing so they are doing what the WBC does, hating on a particular group.

TL;;DR Real Christians love everybody, including you!

Simplify_
09-02-2015, 02:43 AM
Half the time they just assume Christians are the ones bashing Homosexuals!

People assume I bash gays because I'm Christian, that doesn't make any sense.

If anybody bashes gays and claims that they are Christian aren't Christian. That gives a bad image to Christians.

KAGEE
09-02-2015, 02:47 AM
image omitted
My friend, bait =/= encouraging a thoughtful discussion.

Bejewled
09-02-2015, 02:52 AM
My friend and I were actually talking about this earlier today in-class, and he thought that God was more like a metaphor to be nice to people, and that God was more like a Mother Nature type deal

Reballoo
09-02-2015, 03:16 AM

Don't put words in people's mouts, there is a difference between evidence and proof.

- - - Updated - - -

There is absolutely no possible way to get proof of a Gods existance and no possible way to get proof that there isn't a god.
For many, the Bible is meant to be taken metaphorical/universal law. So you silly hardcore atheists that back yourselves up with "there's no way for someone to turn stone into wine and the bible says so so I don't believe in a god" can know what religion is about before criticizing it.
The bible was written by people, even if it's claimed to be "messages sent from god" there are quite a few contradictions created through human-society influence.

Prove god is/isn't real
Pro tip: you cant.

Silly child, you only believe what you can proove? That is really too bad...
You can prove many things. For example, evolution, the big bang theory, dinosaurs, etc. There is much support, but you can't prove it. Almost everything that defies god can't be proven. Plus, you are assuming that pretty much everybody throughout history was entirely wrong, and that religion just started from some random guy, and literally everybody around him just believed him? I don't think so.

- - - Updated - - -

Didnt intend to come over as aggressive or hostile, my bad.

Well, you just created a pointless thread mocking most relgions and basically calling religious people insane or stupid.

DahUnikorn
09-02-2015, 03:22 AM

Half the time they just assume Christians are the ones bashing Homosexuals, etc; But its really just some extremist forms like the Westburro Baptist Church.

A TRUE christian would know to love everybody, and anyone who said otherwise, such as hating a minority, is not a part of a religion, but a hate group.

God DOES love everybody, and won't damn somebody to hell for if they believe something different or are something different.

Atheists seem to love making themselves a "master race", but by doing so they are doing what the WBC does, hating on a particular group.

Respect to you, awesome reply.

I'm Roman Catholic as well. :rolleyes:

:crazy:

Aquarious
09-02-2015, 03:24 AM
I don't intend to offend any people are who religious or believe in a higher power/deity/god, but I myself am Agnostic. :sweatdrop:
I believe that there is no way to prove or disprove the existence of said higher power/deity/god.

Edwardson97
09-02-2015, 03:31 AM
I don't intend to offend any people are who religious or believe in a higher power/deity/god, but I myself am Agnostic. :sweatdrop:
I believe that there is no way to prove or disprove the existence of said higher power/deity/god.

Two things
1.) I'm not offended, as it's not other people's choices to choose your belief.
2.) dat dancing pumpkin xD

PotatoMarco
09-02-2015, 03:45 AM
a - lack of
theist - someone who believes that there is a supreme god

put it together and you get atheist, someone who does not believe in a god

- - - Updated - - -

Don't put words in people's mouts, there is a difference between evidence and proof.

- - - Updated - - -

You can prove many things. For example, evolution, the big bang theory, dinosaurs, etc. There is much support, but you can't prove it. Almost everything that defies god can't be proven. Plus, you are assuming that pretty much everybody throughout history was entirely wrong, and that religion just started from some random guy, and literally everybody around him just believed him? I don't think so.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, you just created a pointless thread mocking most relgions and basically calling religious people insane or stupid.

Well we can give evidences that will help prove science, but your argument is that there is no proof that god isn't there. Well, then is there proof that god IS there?
Also, then why are there so many different religions?

peck
09-02-2015, 04:06 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Silly child,
I only believe what can be proven? Not sure where you got that as I consistently stated neither side can be proven .
I really hate to baby sit and explain everything I just wrote because it's unnecessary recap for those who just don't get it.

For religions that take the bible metaphorical and only as universal law (no murder, stealing, stc) the science of evoltion, big bang theory, and dinosaurs only run PARALLEL to this type of religion I'm pointing to, not against it. Because dinosaurs existed and evolution is a thing or precreation of mass gods can't exist? These things can coexist when (lemme say this again in case you tards can't comprehend things until they are said over and over) the bible is taken metaphorical like a children's book. Life lessons all in there though the story isn't necessarily true.

It's similar to opening Clifford the big red dog and being like "dogs cannot be that color of red and genetically cannot hold their shape at that size. The book is a whoooole lie.*tips fedora :hat:" yes it's bad edge for those who will read that book and say "omg I wanna meet Clifford the big red dog"

Space
09-02-2015, 04:09 AM

Extremely hypocrite, you say not every christian is like the WBC but then state all atheist do act like them. There are way more excepting atheists than hating ones. Atheists dont act like the master race (reference to nazi germany with the übermensch?) only such a small minority, it would be like saying WBC represents the christianity, ofcourse it doesnt.

Pentonix
09-02-2015, 08:34 AM

I must say that you are also quite 'deluded', and lazy, for a matter of fact. I don't even know why you're trying to argue something if you have no clue about what you're talking about.

First of all, the everything in the Bible is not meant to be taken literally, as you've done it. If you want to know Christianity's real views on those kinds of arguments (that have already been said about a billion times before) then I think you should be smart enough to search it up on the internet or something.

Second of all, you're a fool if you're saying that everyone who is religious is insane/delusional because that means more than half the population is delusional, which means that you think that most humans are insane. Religion is not something 'far-fetched'. If it was, then all the greatest minds in history would have ripped religion from its roots long ago. No, religion is something that everyone is inclined to, whether we like it or not. The idea of an all-powerful being is a normal and common belief, if not logical. In fact, by saying that most of the people that live on this planet are delusional because they are religious, than technically, what you are saying is strange and insane, because you're in the minority.

And I think that you would also be smart enough to know that Jesus Christ did exist. If you agree with that, then you probably don't think he is God, but by all means, believe that he isn't. But if someone like that could make 1 billion people Christians, then I think it's safe to say that he is quite exceptional, even 'god-like', if you don't count the thousands of miracles that has been witnessed by countless people over the centuries.

And you also said that Religion based on all-powerful beings is a bit 'far fetched' and that the law of parsimony states that the simplest suggestion is mostly the right suggestion.
I agree, the idea of an all-powerful being that we have never physically seen before can be a bit 'far-fetched' if you like to call it that. But then again, the idea of a universe is quite 'far-fetched' isn't it? That the existence of Earth is a bit 'far-fetched'? That every single coincidence that led to the beginning of life is a bit 'far-fetched' isn't it? Well, if it is 'far-fetched' it's still true.

You also said that the law of parsimony states that the simplest suggestion is mostly the right suggestion. Well, I doubt that suggesting that over half the world's population is insane is a simple suggestion. You would have to make countless tests and experiments and theories to even try to prove that.
You know what is a simple suggestion? Suggesting that everything has a cause or a beginning and that eventually it led to something eternal which caused everything. There. One sentence. And I believe that the law of parsimony states that the simplest suggestion is the right suggestion?

Question stories? If anyone is critical when reading the bible, it's probably you.

darksnake99
09-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Oh my gosh you all took the bait so hard.

Tjsp
09-02-2015, 01:42 PM

Isn't that kinda.....racist?

Derpyderp
09-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Isn't that kinda.....racist?

When is race injected into the thread?

Carlo Miguel Velasco
09-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Are you saying religion is stupid? Do you know how much you're offending by saying having Faith is stupid?

Magicalfishy
09-02-2015, 01:50 PM

Don't worry, your beliefs shouldn't ever offend someone. All humans are free to believe in whatever they want, which is why they have a free will.
You're basically at a point where you understand that the only way to God is by faith/belief. But society/second thoughts/influences have given you disproof, and you're unsure what to believe.

There's actually a book that the (ex)leading atheist in the world wrote that claims that the universe is in perfect balance. If levels of chemicals and jazz were just .1 percent off, existence would be impossible and we wouldn't be here today. I haven't actually read it yet, but it sounds like a pretty cool book. The guy isn't a Christian, but it convinced him that there was a God. In fact, the book is called "There is a God."

You could say that's the ultimate test from God.
Faith.
It's hard for humans to have blind trust.

Hans
09-02-2015, 02:25 PM

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

You dare call him silly child? You are indirectly calling me "silly child", for what he have stated I agree on.

You cannot prove there is no God, nor can you prove there is one. You think differently from others and relegion is the attempt for people to reach God, wherein this life is the attempt for God to reach us, in a whole. You dare impose to most of us just because of universal law? No! Absurd! Un-acceptable!

You don't need a religion to prove that God lives in you, and you are now a servant of God. We may not be able to prove there is God, that is why there is faith — I believe in Him. And no matter how much you say I am a "fool", I have been blessed of knowledge, I have been surpassing every single problem given to me, I am a man of great belief, I have so little concerns about this world! This is why I could conduct all the researches all I have always wanted to do, and dally around when I want to. Living a life with God in which I believe in gives me so much benefit.

It doesn't matter when you think He is there or not, it matters when I believe that He rose from the dead or not and I believe myself. And I am proud of it.

Religion is the attempt of man reaching God, you cannot prove He is real for every human generally. But I can assure myself He is real for me. And it gives me so strong assurance I don't even worry myself anymore.

Truly, I tell you this: you cannot prove there is God, nor can you prove God is not real. Equilibirum must stay to distinguish faithful and to distinguish hopeless. And what more is equilibrium must stay to prevent the likes of you breaking this world by imposing simple belief.