PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble playing matchmaking games on Xbox?

WindyLink560
09-10-2015, 03:56 PM
I wasn't able to play any matchmaking games with my friends, because of a problem I ran into. My NAT setting was set on "strict". Now, this isn't something you can just toggle. NAT is your Network Address Translation. If you're interested in knowing more, there are numerous sites that provide additional information. Essentially, your NAT type represents how easily your console can talk to other devices across the internet. There are 3 settings for your NAT type.

Open or Type 1 NAT – Nothing is getting between you and your connection online. You get the best experience using voice chat, joining games, and matchmaking with players.
Note: Open or Type 1 NAT may not be possible in many configurations, especially if you don’t control all of the hardware between you and your internet access.

Moderate or Type 2 NAT – This is the most common configuration. You may experience longer matchmaking times, issues with voice chat, or other problems.

Strict or Type 3 NAT – Strict or Type 3 NATs often indicate your console network settings are restrictive. With Strict/Type 3 NAT types, we have a harder time giving you the best possible experience, including voice chat. A Strict NAT or Type 3 NAT is not recommended and may cause noticeable problems.

How do you change your NAT type? Well it's kind of complicated. If your NAT is strict or moderate, you probably have something blocking or slowing down movements in your port. Find your router's IP Address, as it's needed to access the configuration page. This next step depends on if you have windows or a Mac.

Windows- Press Windows button+R, and type "cmd" To launch the command prompt. Type "ipconfig" and then press enter. Look for your active connection network/wifi and note the "default gateway access". This is your router's IP Address.

Mac- Click the Apple menu and select "System Preferences". Select the "Network" option and then click your active network connection in the left frame. Note the "Router" address.

Go to your browser and type in your router's IP Address. It should then ask for administrative credentials. If you know your username and password, type it in. If you don't, open the spoiler below.
So you've forgotten your username and password, eh? No worries. Go to your router and hold down the reset button for a whole 30 seconds. This will reset it back to factory settings (complete wipe). You can now create a new username and password, but you will have to reconfigure your network.

Now that you are logged in, find the "advanced settings" button, or whatever advanced section your router provides. Open the UPnP section (Universal Plug and Play). UPnP is a protocol that overrides you settings and opens any ports necessary to connect you to whatever you are connecting to. Enable UPnP. After doing so, click the "save" or "apply" button and click it. Now, go onto your Xbox and restart it. Your NAT type will 90% be Open, or you are a lucky man and must continue the journey!

Part 2: The unlucky few.
If you are still on moderate or strict, follow these steps. Go to "settings" and then "network settings" to start your setup of a Static IP. Go to "configure network" and instead of pressing "automatic", press "manual". Next, select "IP Address". The first 3 set of numbers are always the same on everything connected to your router because that's your router's address. (Usually 192.168.0 or 192.168.1). Make the last set of digits anywhere between 1 and 254. You can NOT make it a number associated with another device. Change the "subnet mask" to 255.255.255.0! Then press "Gateway" and type in your ROUTER'S IP Address. Test your connection, and you have successfully created a static IP. This should solve problems, but if you are STILL cant get an Open NAT Type, follow these NEXT instructions.

Part 3: EMERGENCY!
You are now entering defcon 1!! This part is if you can NOT open your port for obtain a Open NAT Type. This might be the most complicated set of steps, so be warned! Go to your network settings, test your network connection, while its testing, press the reset button on your router (don't hold it!). Once the connection stops, wait 60-90 seconds and restart the test. Your NAT Type should have been opened, because it probably cleared a port for you.

GOOD LUCK GAMERS, HOPE IT HELPED.

PotatoMarco
09-10-2015, 03:57 PM
i dont even have matchmaking skills

or an xbox

Boomer
09-10-2015, 03:59 PM
I can't get matchmaking on Xbox because I don't have Xbox Live.

#NintendoIsBetterThanXbox

WindyLink560
09-10-2015, 04:24 PM
i dont even have matchmaking skills

or an xbox

i cri evrytim

Brys
09-11-2015, 01:26 AM

The cringe is strong with this quote.

WindyLink560
09-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Read my post pls :cry:

Boomer
09-11-2015, 03:45 PM
The cringe is strong with this quote.

I'm sorry: I don't think its worth it to spend $60 to play some games online after you just spent anywhere from $30-$60 on a game already. Also, for $10 more, I can buy a brand new Nintendo 2DS (yes, they're actually $70 fresh from the factory), which does more than Xbox Live ever will.

WindyLink560
09-11-2015, 07:53 PM
I'm sorry: I don't think its worth it to spend $60 to play some games online after you just spent anywhere from $30-$60 on a game already. Also, for $10 more, I can buy a brand new Nintendo 2DS (yes, they're actually $70 fresh from the factory), which does more than Xbox Live ever will.

You also need to buy games for your "ever so amazing" DS. Xbox games have much more content, as well as better resolution and more fun than any DS game. But if you roll that way, I get it. You want to stay loyal to your suc—great Nintendo. We all start somewhere. Good luck.

Disaster
09-11-2015, 07:55 PM

Xbox is way better than Nintendo.

WindyLink560
09-11-2015, 07:58 PM
Xbox is way better than Nintendo.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mxl6rmsPWUk/Uv1jinDpflI/AAAAAAAABmU/3KiVCuHxex0/s1600/goddamn+right.gif

WindyLink560
09-14-2015, 03:25 AM
Bump

_

1001Conor
09-14-2015, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the thread^^ I'm going to check out my settings on xbox now because I can never join a game invite from my friend, not sure whether its related but worth checking out

WindyLink560
09-14-2015, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the thread^^ I'm going to check out my settings on xbox now because I can never join a game invite from my friend, not sure whether its related but worth checking out

Thumbsup...