PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Pokemon

Magicalfishy
10-05-2015, 06:22 PM
Does anyone happen play competitive Pokemon these days? I'm really looking to get into it but I need some help with team-building, and I also have some questions about IVs/EVs. If you do happen to play competitive Pokemon please let me know. :sweatdrop:

FR3DDY
10-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Does anyone happen play competitive Pokemon these days? I'm really looking to get into it but I need some help with team-building, and I also have some questions about IVs/EVs. If you do happen to play competitive Pokemon please let me know. :sweatdrop:
You mean like best pokemon?

Magicalfishy
10-05-2015, 06:31 PM
You mean like best pokemon?

Well, I'm currently trying to set up a team but I need someone with experience to help me out. :p

Aram Sevag
10-05-2015, 08:28 PM
I used to be quite a decent Gen IV-Gen V player on Pokemon Showdown. It got boring after a while, though. Gen VI mega evolutions made me quit.

Areodax
10-05-2015, 09:35 PM
I just play Pokemon when I feel a bit bored. It's a great past time actually.

I'm not a competitive person, but I used to lead a rain team w/ Ferrothorn for setup in Showdown. Then I got bored since I have a lot of other games I like playing.

Jack Bowe
10-05-2015, 09:55 PM
I used to be quite a decent Gen IV-Gen V player on Pokemon Showdown. It got boring after a while, though. Gen VI mega evolutions made me quit.

Aram is pretty good, I can vouch for that (we still need to have that rematch ;))

I can help you with most of the stuff you need, I don't make perfect plays but I can beat a worthy opponent.

Aram Sevag
10-05-2015, 11:04 PM
Aram is pretty good, I can vouch for that (we still need to have that rematch ;))

I can help you with most of the stuff you need, I don't make perfect plays but I can beat a worthy opponent.

I see you haven't forgot about that rematch.

Anyway, I think I haven't forgot the stuff about E/IVs yet.

mokky
10-06-2015, 02:21 AM
http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?261578-gt-u-gt-pokemon-battle!&highlight=Pokemon

Battle me >u>

Magicalfishy
10-06-2015, 01:22 PM

I see you haven't forgot about that rematch.

Anyway, I think I haven't forgot the stuff about E/IVs yet.

Mk. So, I want to use a team with Chesnaught and Zoroark, would those be strong enough to compete? Yes, I know I will have to breed them for IVs though.

My question about EVs though, can I just use the medicines to level them up or do I need to do the battle training thing?

Jack Bowe
10-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Mk. So, I want to use a team with Chesnaught and Zoroark, would those be strong enough to compete? Yes, I know I will have to breed them for IVs though.

My question about EVs though, can I just use the medicines to level them up or do I need to do the battle training thing?

What tier are you looking to get into? (Ubers, OU, UU, PU etc).

Garrgoil
10-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Out of all the fighting types, chesnaught has the highest base defense. Its hidden ability, bulletproof, renders a good number of moves useless, including both of gengar's main STAB attacks.
Zoroark's ability plays mind games with the opponent. Most people use them as special attackers, but they can also hit hard physically if you breed and train them for it. . .
But yeah, they're both decent enough to be used competitively together. Keep in mind what kind of battles you're going to use them for when you build your team. That's pretty important.
For EV training, most would recommend adding a poke w/ sweet scent to your team and battling certain hordes.
http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/ev-training-horde-hotspots-pokemon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire/
http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/ev-training-hotspots-x-y/
Pokerus and the macho brace double the EVs gained through this method, and if the pokemon has both of 'em, the EV points they earn are boosted by x4.
Power items are expensive, but if you can get them all, their boosts are bigger than the macho brace's.
Super training is a fun alternative.
I suppose you could buy a ton of medication, but you could also save your cash for something else, like expensive restaurant meals, yanno.

1001Conor
10-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Pokemon is my favourite game so ik a lot about it :rolleyes: If i was you I would play a game called PokeMMO for PC, its amazing. Competitive play is a big thing there, its pokemon fire red and pokemon emerald but you play with online players!

FR3DDY
10-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Use smeargle's move, trick or treat then get our honedge with sword's dance and shadowsneak. Use sword's dance 3 times and then use shadow sneak, after dis = profit.

Zfert
10-06-2015, 09:44 PM
I dont because im bad

Magicalfishy
10-06-2015, 10:59 PM
What tier are you looking to get into? (Ubers, OU, UU, PU etc).

Eh, I say screw tiers. :sweatdrop:

I'd like to be a unique Pokemon user.

Out of all the fighting types, chesnaught has the highest base defense. Its hidden ability, bulletproof, renders a good number of moves useless, including both of gengar's main STAB attacks.
Zoroark's ability plays mind games with the opponent. Most people use them as special attackers, but they can also hit hard physically if you breed and train them for it. . .
But yeah, they're both decent enough to be used competitively together. Keep in mind what kind of battles you're going to use them for when you build your team. That's pretty important.
For EV training, most would recommend adding a poke w/ sweet scent to your team and battling certain hordes.
http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/ev-training-horde-hotspots-pokemon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire/
http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/ev-training-hotspots-x-y/
Pokerus and the macho brace double the EVs gained through this method, and if the pokemon has both of 'em, the EV points they earn are boosted by x4.
Power items are expensive, but if you can get them all, their boosts are bigger than the macho brace's.
Super training is a fun alternative.
I suppose you could buy a ton of medication, but you could also save your cash for something else, like expensive restaurant meals, yanno.

I noticed in the Pokemon test chamber thingy people actually chose exactly how many EVs they wanted on their Pokemon. What would I need to do to get those specific numbers? Special training?

Jack Bowe
10-06-2015, 11:04 PM

You could just use Pokegen, I do. And you need a tier to be competitive, really.

FR3DDY
10-06-2015, 11:20 PM
You could use Pokemon Showdown to test pokemon out , try teams and the dif. tiers there.

Garrgoil
10-06-2015, 11:53 PM
Every time you faint an opposing pokemon or complete a super training session (or punch a training bag to smithereens) your pokemon gets a # of EV points, which depends on boosts, what the opposing pokemon was, the level of the training session, the kind of punching bag you use, etc. Plan ahead so you know how many times you need to defeat x pokemon and with what boosts, or the amount of super training sessions you need to complete.
Say you want to add 152 to speed with super training; you could do 12 Lvl. 3 speed sessions and a Lvl. 2 speed session (144+8). However, it's muuuuuuuch easier to start with Lvl. 1 sessions in super training, as I don't think completing a Lvl. 3 session with a pokemon that has 0 EVs across all stats is possible.
Keep in mind that you shouldn't add more than 252 EVs to a single stat.

Heads up; when battling hordes, if you turn the Exp. share on and have the pokemon you plan to train in your party, you can wipe out a horde with your more powerful pokemon and the pokemon you're trying to EV train will still gain the appropriate number of EVs, which means if they hold a macho brace for example, the points they gain should still be boosted by x2.
(Ew, pokegen. :'P)

Aram Sevag
10-07-2015, 12:34 AM

I noticed in the Pokemon test chamber thingy people actually chose exactly how many EVs they wanted on their Pokemon. What would I need to do to get those specific numbers? Special training?

Well, there's a difference between being a unique trainer and a competitively active trainer.

SuperJ
10-07-2015, 12:37 AM
U USED TO CALL ME ON MY CELL PHONE. *dun dun dun dun* I DON'T EVEN NEED UR LOVE.

^^^^^^^ Me.

Magicalfishy
10-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Well, there's a difference between being a unique trainer and a competitively active trainer.

I just don't get tiers. Just because a pokemon is overused makes it good? Gahhhh this just frustrates me.

Garrgoil
10-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Bulbapedia does a good job at explaining what tiers are.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tier

Magicalfishy
10-07-2015, 01:23 PM
Bulbapedia does a good job at explaining what tiers are.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tier

I know what tiers are, I just don't get why people use this system. The original purpose of Pokemon was to be unique and to build your own unique team... but now competitiveness is basically just pushed into a group of specific Pokemon that require no skill to use. Basically you just look like someone who copies somebody else's strategy because you don't know how to make your own team. :sweatdrop:

Garrgoil
10-07-2015, 01:46 PM
Hahahah.
http://www.imgur.com/gallery/ZqjqbxH
You don't have to use the tier system; just pay attention to restrictions for upcoming battles/tournaments, and as long as your team can handle what your opposition throws at you, you'll be fine.

Magicalfishy
10-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Hahahah.
http://www.imgur.com/gallery/ZqjqbxH
You don't have to use the tier system; just pay attention to restrictions for upcoming battles/tournaments, and as long as your team can handle what your opposition throws at you, you'll be fine.

Holy crap, everybody freaking uses a Landourus. What do I need to use to take down tank Pokemon like Hetran and other Pokemon like Landourus, Thunderus, Tornadus, and M Kengaskan?

Garrgoil
10-07-2015, 02:23 PM
I posted the image because it was funny.
Buuut, the chesnaught you plan to use might handle mega kangaskhan pretty well w/ spikey shield and/or strong fighting attacks, I guess. A tanky water type like vaporeon can counter heatran, but remember that your options aren't too limited here and vaporeon is just an example. Plenty of ground types can take care of heatran too. If you can hit landorus/landorus t with an ice type move it'll go down quickly.

King902
10-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Here is the best strategy in the world, use Gameshark and get 6 lv. 100 Magickarps.

Magicalfishy
10-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Here is the best strategy in the world, use Gameshark and get 6 lv. 100 Magickarps.

I'd win the world championships with that team. One can only dream.

Aram Sevag
10-07-2015, 11:00 PM
I know what tiers are, I just don't get why people use this system. The original purpose of Pokemon was to be unique and to build your own unique team... but now competitiveness is basically just pushed into a group of specific Pokemon that require no skill to use. Basically you just look like someone who copies somebody else's strategy because you don't know how to make your own team. :sweatdrop:

If something is used a lot, then there's a reason for it. It either synergizes well with most of the teams, or has a special ability that synergizes extremely well with his type and moves. For example, Togekiss was named Togehaxx because of his insane ability to perma-stun/flinch his opponent by using Thunder Wave and Air Slash. That's a decent example of how abilities can synergize with the moves.

Yeah, Pokemon's original purpose was to build a unique team and still technically is. Tiers came up to make the Pokemon battles fairer, because look:

Team 1: Uber tier
Team 2: UU tier

Team 1 will most probably crush Team 2 because Ubers have higher versatility and base stats overall.

Competitiveness is actually more than just copying a team because it all stands to how well you can perform with that team. Anticipation and smart switches play a major role in battles.

Magicalfishy
10-07-2015, 11:21 PM
If something is used a lot, then there's a reason for it. It either synergizes well with most of the teams, or has a special ability that synergizes extremely well with his type and moves. For example, Togekiss was named Togehaxx because of his insane ability to perma-stun/flinch his opponent by using Thunder Wave and Air Slash. That's a decent example of how abilities can synergize with the moves.

Yeah, Pokemon's original purpose was to build a unique team and still technically is. Tiers came up to make the Pokemon battles fairer, because look:

Team 1: Uber tier
Team 2: UU tier

Team 1 will most probably crush Team 2 because Ubers have higher versatility and base stats overall.

Competitiveness is actually more than just copying a team because it all stands to how well you can perform with that team. Anticipation and smart switches play a major role in battles.

True, but with the correct tricks up your sleeve you can always take down obstacles.

Joshyeh
10-07-2015, 11:25 PM
I just play Pokemon when I feel a bit bored. It's a great past time actually.

I'm not a competitive person, but I used to lead a rain team w/ Ferrothorn for setup in Showdown. Then I got bored since I have a lot of other games I like playing.

ferrothorn op

Aram Sevag
10-07-2015, 11:27 PM
True, but with the correct tricks up your sleeve you can always take down obstacles.

You have a point, the matchup is pretty important as well but as I said, a good opponent would anticipate most of your moves with ease.

FR3DDY
10-07-2015, 11:48 PM
As long as you have jiggilypuf on your team ur unstoppable

Honedge too, it is litterally designed to use sword's dance :p

Magicalfishy
10-08-2015, 01:09 AM
You have a point, the matchup is pretty important as well but as I said, a good opponent would anticipate most of your moves with ease.

Yep, thanks for all your advice Aram. :)