PDA

View Full Version : Wow…This Paragraph…

JOSHIE63
10-09-2015, 01:19 AM
I was doing my work in my English class, which was to read a story in my Lit. book. I thought the short stories were all crap, but this one paragraph changed my mind.

"'My, how foolish I am!' my friend cries, suddenly alert, like a woman remembering too late that she had biscuits in the oven. 'You know what I've always thought?' she asks in a tone of discovery, and smiling not at me but a point beyond. 'I've always thought a body would have to be sick and dying before they saw the Lord. And I imagined that when He came it would be like looking at the Baptist window: pretty as colored glass with the sun pouring through, such a shine you don't know it's getting dark. And it's been a comfort: to think of that shine taking away all of the spooky feeling. But I'll wager it never happens. I'll wager at the very end a body realizes the Lord has already shown Himself. That things as they are' — her hand circles in a gesture that gathers clouds and kites1 and grass and Queenie2 pawing earth over her bone — 'just what they've always seen, was seeing Him. As for me, I could leave the world with today in my eyes.'"

1 the kite is a symbol for youth
2 Queenie is a dog

I am sure the concept of the paragraph is thoroughly understood, but the story continues in the direction wherein the friend dies. The words spoken by her at this moment carry on to when she cannot speak, but dies in such a solemn manner as if to say the best part of life has already presented itself the whole time — life is truly the best gift.

I do not know why, but I really like this paragraph — not necessarily for its eloquence or verbosely introduction (for it was quite terse) either. It expresses such a great message so succinctly that I would struggle to convey with a thousand words.

JOSHIE63
10-09-2015, 06:52 PM
Literature sucks? :cry:

IC Growtopia
10-09-2015, 07:16 PM
Literature sucks? :cry:

No way, this is awesome. I don't know how but it gives me a cool feeling.