PDA

View Full Version : Dvorak Keyboard

Tempting
10-27-2015, 06:59 PM
I already know how to type 95WPM on the US Customary keyboard without looking, so I'm taking on the challenge of the Dvorak keyboard, which has a confusing setup. Does anyone know a good site for learning how to use this, because I feel like 1 site won't be enough to learn.

http://thetypingcat.com/course/dvorak
I only have this site so far.

ClearBanter
10-27-2015, 07:02 PM
What is dvorak keyboard xD

Tempting
10-27-2015, 07:26 PM
What is dvorak keyboard xD

It's a different keyboard layout. All I know so far is that the symbols like the period, comma, and backslash are in the top *left* somewhere, and the home row from left to right is aoeuidhtns

ClearBanter
10-27-2015, 07:35 PM
It's a different keyboard layout. All I know so far is that the symbols like the period, comma, and backslash are in the top right somewhere, and the home row from left to right is aoeuidhtns

Y do you need to know it?

Tempting
10-27-2015, 08:11 PM
Why? It isn't more efficient, even if you master it

Actually, that's exactly why I'm doing it. It's much more efficient. It's proven to reduce finger movements, and the home row of keys is used around 61% of the time rather than 25% of the time, making it much easier to type quickly.

peck
10-27-2015, 10:18 PM
Tempting is correct, it has vowels and most used letters closest to home row as possible which can boost your wpm very effectively. Unfortunately society didn't pick that up first so the standard is the current setup, and to learn it you have to relearn keyboarding altogether.
Maybe one generation, everyone will just make the switch and have it be a trend of sorts.
To learn dvorak I'd think to just look at the keyboard for one week of use then try not to every time after. However I don't know it so I can't speak from experience.

Tempting
10-27-2015, 10:57 PM
Tempting is correct, it has vowels and most used letters closest to home row as possible which can boost your wpm very effectively. Unfortunately society didn't pick that up first so the standard is the current setup, and to learn it you have to relearn keyboarding altogether.
Maybe one generation, everyone will just make the switch and have it be a trend of sorts.
To learn dvorak I'd think to just look at the keyboard for one week of use then try not to every time after. However I don't know it so I can't speak from experience.

I know the qwerty keyboard all too well, so I'm just going to use the Dvorak one as much as possible, and then shift to it eventually.(Not including my tablet) Note though, that this might take months to years, but I'll eventually understand it.

Tempting
10-28-2015, 01:24 AM
I'm using colemak on my phone.

Much better than dvorak.
I'll make the switch on PC when I feel like it, there's a program for portable keyboard layouts.

http://i1.wp.com/www.workmanlayout.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/don-quixote.png

In my opinion, the only problem with Dvorak is the 31 characters being changed, and the l being fairly hard on your right pinky. Also, I believe that the Devorak uses the bottom row less, which is probably what I'm more concerned about. All in all, the Colemak is the most efficient, but I think I'll stick with what I'm attempting.