PDA

View Full Version : Scary Experiment...

Blitzkrieg
10-31-2015, 10:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z760XNy4VM

Watch this video or just read what I'm about to say.

A man called John Calhoun's made a mouse utopia in which he made a structure that could handle 3000 mice and which had a lot of water food and anything a mouse could wish for, there weren't any predators either to balance the population. Basically what humans are like now: no predators, enough food and water and no major disease.

Here's what happened:

In the first 100 days the mice adjusted themselves to the new environment without predators and abundant water and food. Territories and nests were made in this period.

After that the first days the population doubled every 60 days for 200 days. Food distribution became unequal though each living unit had the same amount of supplies.
Mice ate with others as the population increased and some units became crowded.

The next 300 days the population was levelling off (not growing nor shrinking), violence became common searching for acceptance.
Some mice became targets of attacks and other mice only spent time on eating sleeping and drinking, they never involved themselves with other mice.

The last period declined even before the max amount of the mice was reached. Calhoun concluded that mice couldn't handle so many mice.

If you look at modern countries you'll see that there isn't a lot of growth any more (Germany has more deaths than births nowadays). Could this be the same as the third stage where things are starting to get strange?

TL;DR Mice Utopia kills itself and might happen to humans.

Blitzkrieg
10-31-2015, 11:57 PM
Bump for more people to see.

Boy255
11-01-2015, 12:16 AM
[

Also humans do have major disease.Including birth diseases
-HIV/AIDS
-Flu
-Cancer
To name a few.Tho exclude ebola,its not major.Sure it kills,but its not widespread.

Also,humans have alot more space then the mice did.But idk..

Blitzkrieg
11-01-2015, 02:51 PM
[

Also humans do have major disease.Including birth diseases
-HIV/AIDS
-Flu
-Cancer
To name a few.Tho exclude ebola,its not major.Sure it kills,but its not widespread.

Also,humans have alot more space then the mice did.But idk..

Deadly disease is not a main factor for deaths nowadays.

Also the mice utopia could house 3000 mice with perfect food water and space to move around but the peak was at 2200-ish mice. Thats just 2/3 of what was available.

PotatoMarco
11-01-2015, 03:53 PM
Ooooh ive read about that before. Like the guy above me said, we have diseases that kills us. Although I agree that they dont kill enough to keep us at a stable population.

To be honest I feel as though environmental degradation is a bigger problem than us running out of space. Also ironic how we have to kill the environment to get more space.

I expect that at some point, an easily infectious disease will kill off a lot of people, the fact that we are living closely helps spread the virus. Something like the bubonic plague.

syrup
11-01-2015, 04:01 PM
BRO IT'S JUST A PRANK IT'S A SOCIAL EXPERIMENT BRO SEE THE CAMERAS RIGHT THERE BRO THE MICE ARE FAKE BRO CAN'T YOU TAKE A PRANK BRO

Blitzkrieg
11-02-2015, 07:07 PM
BRO IT'S JUST A PRANK IT'S A SOCIAL EXPERIMENT BRO SEE THE CAMERAS RIGHT THERE BRO THE MICE ARE FAKE BRO CAN'T YOU TAKE A PRANK BRO

"Mice social experiment gone wrong!"

AdminBro
11-02-2015, 07:10 PM
Copy paste does wonders

26FtW26
11-02-2015, 07:26 PM
There's a large way from mice to humans.

Put two male and one female lion in a cage together, the males will naturally fight. Do that with humans... well, depends on the girl, I guess :sweatdrop:

Blitzkrieg
11-02-2015, 07:34 PM
Copy paste does wonders

no copy paste used, only summarizing the video.

Dodecagon
11-02-2015, 08:11 PM
However, there is a key factor humans have, intellegence.
There's family planning, and other things that contribute to NOT increase population.
I also heard that there's a project where there's a place for people to mingle and find their love.
I do not think mice would do that? Would they?

PvP4MC
11-02-2015, 08:26 PM
Neat :rolleyes:

Blitzkrieg
11-02-2015, 08:42 PM
I've always found it funny how the human population is aware of the natural disasters that we may face, but we're just too lazy to take care of the problem because it isn't a PRESENT problem (Ecosystem, Hunger, Economy, Etc.)

Not just that but it'd cost a tremendous amount of money.

Blitzkrieg
11-03-2015, 05:57 AM
However, there is a key factor humans have, intellegence.
There's family planning, and other things that contribute to NOT increase population.
I also heard that there's a project where there's a place for people to mingle and find their love.
I do not think mice would do that? Would they?

Finding a mate is certainly something a mouse would do...