PDA

View Full Version : Debate Team?

Chocolatte
11-17-2015, 02:20 AM
RTsoft Forum Debate Team

Basically, what I want to start is a LEGIT debate team, where everyone is able to express their opinions and not answer with something like... I dunno... Your mom. I want us to be able to do is to be able to discuss everything and anything in the world, from these forums to maybe the possibility of WWIII. I've seen a whole lot of good debaters out here and I wanna see what your opinions are. Please don't be immature about it, just express your arguments (even if you don't like who/what you are debating for.) Please try your best to make good, legitimate arguments. Maybe this will have some impact on the world because it exposes you to new opinions!

Please use the sign-up template below
Are you fairly familiar with the international news?:
Are you somewhat active on the forums?(At least once every three days):
Do you promise to take this seriously?:
Give an example of your debating skills on any topic (around 1 paragraph):

Just saying, it isn't mandatory for you to know international news, but it is HIGHLY recommended. We will have random parties every now and then, because why not.

There will be two teams, and I will assign you to your teams. The teams will be below.

Team 1:
Chocolatte Team 2:

Stay tuned for our first debate (if you join)!!!

Your forum name will be used, if you're wondering.

We will wait for you to argue your valid (or invalid) points.

GrateNPowder
11-17-2015, 02:23 AM
NO PRIZES?

Chocolatte
11-17-2015, 02:25 AM
NO PRIZES?

If you have Growtopia I can TRY to organize a party... Where everyone gets gifted... A good amount... ONLY if a decent amount of people join though.

Typical
11-17-2015, 02:30 AM
Hate to be that guy but this is overall a bad idea. Civilized arguments/debates or lack thereof have been a recurring issue in these forums. Even if you manage to get that mountain out of the way you're still left with the fact that the majority of "debates" here are really just one-sided arguments. And don't even get me started on fallacies and all that formal stuff. Nice concept but it's hard to believe that you'll get much done. At most, you can expect a few good debates from certain individuals, but that's about it.

Regardless, good luck if you do get a decent group running.

Chocolatte
11-17-2015, 02:31 AM
Hate to be that guy but this is overall a bad idea. Civilized arguments/debates or lack thereof have been a recurring issue in these forums. Even if you manage to get that mountain out of the way you're still left with the fact that the majority of "debates" here are really just one-sided arguments. And don't even get me started on fallacies and all that formal stuff. Nice concept but it's hard to believe that you'll get much done. At most, you can expect a few good debates from certain individuals, but that's about it.

Even if it's just those few individuals, I would love to hear it.

Megazork
11-17-2015, 02:36 AM
It would be an interesting concept if the majority of the forums haven't gotten their arguing degree in a middle-school environment where petty diatribes, meaningless digressions, and fallacies were king.

I don't see it ending well. Probably would go civil but I don't think people have the capacity to participate in a proper debate without even committing some of the easier fallacies (i.e circular reasoning)

JOSHIE63
11-17-2015, 02:46 AM
It would be an interesting concept if the majority of the forums haven't gotten their arguing degree in a middle-school environment where petty diatribes, meaningless digressions, and fallacies were king.

I don't see it ending well. Probably would go civil but I don't think people have the capacity to participate in a proper debate without even committing some of the easier fallacies (i.e circular reasoning)

Indefatigable users seem to try too hard on the recondite subjects when it comes down to winning. It really becomes a Sisyphean task persuade the argument to cease once someone has kindled the flame war. Only a few users I know can uphold a civil debate wherein topics are presented realistically and no frangible facts, or fallacies as aforementioned, falter as people chase the popular opinion.

In reality, debate teams present each side of an argument. There is no opinion besides the one given to the writer to support in what more often becomes a dithyramb — or rather a tirade — into something they may not even believe.

Chocolatte
11-17-2015, 03:05 AM

This is why I will try to recruit only people I believe are mature enough to handle it without becoming crazy and unreasonable. Yes, I've done my research.

- - - Updated - - -

*BUMP*!!! (No hate pls)