PDA

View Full Version : (Suggestions) Gaming PC!

Magicalfishy
12-07-2015, 10:08 PM
So I don't have too much to say other than I would like to buy a gaming PC. My budget would be at max $800 USD... I'd just like something that can run games at great graphics (doesn't have to be 4k), run heavy software like video editing stuffs, and won't crash after 3 years. I'd also like for it to be able to output to at least 3 monitors ( at least 1 HDMI, 1 USB, and 1 DVI on the back). I'm not planning on buying one for a few months, and I don't plan on building one. It'd be too time consuming and complicated for me with the current schedule I'm on. If you have any suggestions be sure to leave them below.

Metalwire
12-07-2015, 10:10 PM
So I don't have too much to say other than I would like to buy a gaming PC. My budget would be at max $800 USD... I'd just like something that can run games at great graphics (doesn't have to be 4k), run heavy software like video editing stuffs, and won't crash after 3 years. I'd also like for it to be able to output to at least 3 monitors. I'm not planning on buying one for a few months, and I don't plan on building one. It'd be too time consuming and complicated for me with the current schedule I'm on. If you have any suggestions be sure to leave them below.
I see alot of youtubers use Mac Computers(just putting this out there)

Magicalfishy
12-07-2015, 10:12 PM
I see alot of youtubers use Mac Computers(just putting this out there)

I currently have a pretty awesome PC, definitely better than a Mac. I may however buy a Mac in the future for when I am traveling, but I definitely won't need one for another solid year and a half.

Magicalfishy
12-09-2015, 03:02 PM
Bumping this for more suggestions. (:

darksnake99
12-09-2015, 08:16 PM
chromebook
raspberry pi
ti-84

deck out a workstation, but you'll have to look long and hard to find one in your price range, so nevermind.

peck
12-09-2015, 09:26 PM
Getting prebuilt "gaming" pc's is a bad idea. Get a modern office pc and at least throw a video card in there to avoid the evil markup.
Goto officemax and get an hp envy or something and throw in a 750ti, though multiple monitors may go a bit hard on the gpu.
Your price range is reasonable, but not for prebuilts.

Spirituality.GT
12-09-2015, 09:36 PM
I'd reconsider building a pc if I were you. It is 50% cheaper and not as hard as it seems, look up some tutorials on youtube. Take a bit of time to research some good builds and assemble it. It should take you about 1-2 hours maximum if you have any problems. It could easily be done in under an hour. I can do some research for you if you wish.

Magicalfishy
12-09-2015, 10:41 PM
Getting prebuilt "gaming" pc's is a bad idea. Get a modern office pc and at least throw a video card in there to avoid the evil markup.
Goto officemax and get an hp envy or something and throw in a 750ti, though multiple monitors may go a bit hard on the gpu.
Your price range is reasonable, but not for prebuilts.

I'm not 100% sure on how to check my specs, but right now my computer can easily run a triple monitor setup and heavy programs. It can play games extremely well, but it cannot play next gen games on high settings.

It was only $319 USD. :p

darksnake99
12-09-2015, 11:00 PM
I'm not 100% sure on how to check my specs, but right now my computer can easily run a triple monitor setup and heavy programs. It can play games extremely well, but it cannot play next gen games on high settings.

It was only $319 USD. :p
Open command prompt and type "systeminfo".

Magicalfishy
12-10-2015, 12:02 AM
If you have a good computer that you built, why not just buy it a new graphics card?

I didn't build my current computer, and I'm not sure how to change the graphics card. I could watch some videos, but I'm pretty scared that I might break something. :sweatdrop:

Spirituality.GT
12-10-2015, 01:11 AM
I didn't build my current computer, and I'm not sure how to change the graphics card. I could watch some videos, but I'm pretty scared that I might break something. :sweatdrop:

If it's prebuilt, you probably can't change the GPU since most prebuilt pcs cannot be upgraded since the motherboard will probably not accept it and maybe not enough space. You can probably use the CPU again though. Also, Look up some tutorials, It's pretty easy considering all the people building them and that the tech industry is growing faster than ever.

(I'm not an expert so don't quote me on what I said)

Magicalfishy
12-11-2015, 01:40 AM
If it's prebuilt, you probably can't change the GPU since most prebuilt pcs cannot be upgraded since the motherboard will probably not accept it and maybe not enough space. You can probably use the CPU again though. Also, Look up some tutorials, It's pretty easy considering all the people building them and that the tech industry is growing faster than ever.

(I'm not an expert so don't quote me on what I said)

Dang. That would make sense though. :sweatdrop:

craft3d
12-11-2015, 02:14 AM
Alright, I can make a build for you that may have the specs you are looking for, from one distributor.

Question, however, will you be doing any overclocking on this computer now or in the future? I'll have 2 builds for non-overclocking and for overclocking, and will you need an OS included?

Non-overclocking: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6kTmXL

Overclocking: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GdXfXL

Magicalfishy
12-11-2015, 02:41 AM
Alright, I can make a build for you that may have the specs you are looking for, from one distributor.

Question, however, will you be doing any overclocking on this computer now or in the future? I'll have 2 builds for non-overclocking and for overclocking, and will you need an OS included?

Non-overclocking: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6kTmXL

Overclocking: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GdXfXL

What is the difference between non-overclocking and overclocking? Btw, do you know if you could find a cooler shell? Something that looks hella sick.

peck
12-11-2015, 04:13 AM
What is the difference between non-overclocking and overclocking? Btw, do you know if you could find a cooler shell? Something that looks hella sick.
Processors have a certain amount of instructions they may set per clock

Running your cpu at 4.0ghz will be running that clock faster than 3.5ghz however it will generate more heat.

Generally I never over clock anything because cpu's standard/recommended clock should do anything you need it to.

If you're reconsidering to not get a prebuilt my recommendation is:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vcV4Hx
The idea of this build is upgradeability for the future. Even though skylake wasn't as good as it was hyped to be, it's still a fine part.
Extra details:
Build includes thermal paste because stock thermal is terrible,
Build includes one of my favorite cases, airflow is great and 3 external bays for any extra trinkets like a Fan controller or something.

May not have number proof here but fallout 4 will do well on this build and craft3d's builds.

AdminBro
12-11-2015, 04:16 AM
I legit took a double take when i saw magicalfishy and theonlyfish responding to each other. Turns out I forgot their usernames kek shame me pls

#fish-ception

craft3d
12-11-2015, 05:44 AM

Running your cpu at 4.0ghz will be running that clock faster than 3.5ghz however it will generate more heat.

Generally I never over clock anything because cpu's standard/recommended clock should do anything you need it to.

The idea of this build is upgradeability for the future. Even though skylake wasn't as good as it was hyped to be, it's still a fine part.
Extra details:
Build includes one of my favorite cases, airflow is great and 3 external bays for any extra trinkets like a Fan controller or something.

May not have number proof here but fallout 4 will do well on this build and craft3d's builds.

Wait, can you tell me the issue with the stock thermal paste? I just bought my parts and I'm wondering if I'll need better paste or not.

peck
12-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Wait, can you tell me the issue with the stock thermal paste? I just bought my parts and I'm wondering if I'll need better paste or not.

Stock paste that is pre applied to the cpu sucks. I always get a $5 thermal (5g will last you a long time if you ever need to read apply).
It's temperature difference can be from 5-10c which can be significant.

Magicalfishy
12-11-2015, 04:04 PM

Extra details:

Am I starting to consider building a PC, however I have zero experience and I feel like I would mess up hella bad.

peck
12-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Am I starting to consider building a PC, however I have zero experience and I feel like I would mess up hella bad.

If you've never built one before you'll likely mess up somewhere but your pc isn't going to explode or anything. 90% of parts have a manual and tell you where to put what and where to plug cables into if you get confused have any YouTube video open on how to build one.

Issues I had when I started was
1. Cable management (still have that issue)
2. Putting the cpu cooler on
3. Part Safety. Now that it's winter time it's not the best idea to do what I did and put everything on the carpet floor. However you don't need an anti static wristband or anything, it's a joke.

Somethings you want to avoid that most beginners do:
-Putting the cpu in the wrong direction (match the triangle on the corner of it, to the triangle corner on the motherboard)
-screwing in the motherboard at an angle (you'll circuit parts of the motherboard where it shouldnt)
-using the wrong screws for the wrong parts (something you should be more careful about)

abram123
12-11-2015, 04:37 PM
I'm just going to let you know this now, but if you're going to want a really good PC for around 800 USD, then you're going to have to buy the parts and put it together. If you want to buy a prebuilt computer that is really good, then you're going to be spending quite a lot of money. It's a lot better and cheaper if you just buy the parts and put it together.

You also don't need $800 to build a computer. My computer is about $600-700 and it runs any game I try on high-max settings. I also can edit videos and record stuff really smoothly, but I built my computer and bought all the parts. Buying a prebuilt computer is just a waste of money. I know quite a lot when it comes to computer as I am also going to college in less then a year to major in computer science and information.

Magicalfishy
12-11-2015, 04:39 PM
If you've never built one before you'll likely mess up somewhere but your pc isn't going to explode or anything. 90% of parts have a manual and tell you where to put what and where to plug cables into if you get confused have any YouTube video open on how to build one.

Issues I had when I started was
1. Cable management (still have that issue)
2. Putting the cpu cooler on
3. Part Safety. Now that it's winter time it's not the best idea to do what I did and put everything on the carpet floor. However you don't need an anti static wristband or anything, it's a joke.

Somethings you want to avoid that most beginners do:
-Putting the cpu in the wrong direction (match the triangle on the corner of it, to the triangle corner on the motherboard)
-screwing in the motherboard at an angle (you'll circuit parts of the motherboard where it shouldnt)
-using the wrong screws for the wrong parts (something you should be more careful about)

Are there any YouTube tutorials that are similar to the build you sent me? And what do you think the highest stats this thing could run in theory?

peck
12-11-2015, 05:21 PM
Are there any YouTube tutorials that are similar to the build you sent me? And what do you think the highest stats this thing could run in theory?

Farcry4 ultra settings is 50 fps. High settings (console settings) at 60+fps.
Csgo or any valve game goes ultra settings 90fps (csgo, tf2, etc)
Fallout4 60fps at mid-high settings I believe.

You likely won't find a modern tutorial using your exact parts as new parts are frequent and spending an hour on making a tutorial for each one would take quite a bit.
https://youtu.be/k1Q8ksRI1Eo

If you got my build, a cool little thing is you don't have to screw in the hard drive, there's a know that let's you lock them in place.
If you got craft3d's build it's more budget conservative with same specs about.

My order of building a pc is generally
1. Install power supply
2. Put ram in motherboard
3. Put cpu in motherboard
4. Put fans in case
5. Screw motherboard into case
6. Apply thermal paste and put heatsync on cpu
7. Plug graphics card into motherboard
8. Put hard drives into necessary slots (the reason to do this last is in case the gpu is so long it gets in the way of a slot)
Proceed to plug all the wires in everywheregards needed.

craft3d
12-11-2015, 10:16 PM
Stock paste that is pre applied to the cpu sucks. I always get a $5 thermal (5g will last you a long time if you ever need to read apply).
It's temperature difference can be from 5-10c which can be significant.

OK, but does it matter if I'm not overclocking?

I got an i3-4170 and a Cooler Master T2, so I'm not sure if I'll need to order some better paste later.

Magicalfishy
12-11-2015, 11:40 PM
Farcry4 ultra settings is 50 fps. High settings (console settings) at 60+fps.
Csgo or any valve game goes ultra settings 90fps (csgo, tf2, etc)
Fallout4 60fps at mid-high settings I believe.

You likely won't find a modern tutorial using your exact parts as new parts are frequent and spending an hour on making a tutorial for each one would take quite a bit.
https://youtu.be/k1Q8ksRI1Eo

If you got my build, a cool little thing is you don't have to screw in the hard drive, there's a know that let's you lock them in place.
If you got craft3d's build it's more budget conservative with same specs about.

My order of building a pc is generally
1. Install power supply
2. Put ram in motherboard
3. Put cpu in motherboard
4. Put fans in case
5. Screw motherboard into case
6. Apply thermal paste and put heatsync on cpu
7. Plug graphics card into motherboard
8. Put hard drives into necessary slots (the reason to do this last is in case the gpu is so long it gets in the way of a slot)
Proceed to plug all the wires in everywheregards needed.

Does the build include outputs for HDMI, USB, and VGA?

Also, I'm going to need an OS won't I? ;-;

abram123
12-12-2015, 12:24 AM
This is my computer build. I built this computer as I ordered every part and put it together myself. :sweatdrop:

Case: http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Commander-Mid-Tower-Chassis-CA-1B5-00M1WN-00/dp/B00IS8P34E/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1447171327&sr=1-4&keywords=Black+PC+Chassis&pebp=1447171333224&perid=078P7CNVVB8R5ASBFRBZwww.safesear.ch/?type=ch-nt

MOBO: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008V9959O/ref=psdc_1048424_t1_B008B6ONXK

CPU: http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD6300WMHKBOX-FX-6300-Processor-Edition/dp/B009O7YORK/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MSH9J78RGZ28EYFSKKW

GPU: http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Gaming-Graphics-GV-N960G1-GAMING-2GD/dp/B00SD9KZCI

Power Supply: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CX600-CP-9020048-US-Power-Supply/dp/B0092ML0OC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449879715&sr=8-2&keywords=600+watt+power+supply

I run almost every game at max setting 60 FPS. This includes BO3, GTA 5, Far cry 4, CS GO, etc

craft3d
12-12-2015, 12:26 AM
Does the build include outputs for HDMI, USB, and AVI?

I'm not sure that any monitors will have an AVI port on them, so you must have misspelled something.

Also, you will need an OS unless you have a spare key lying around.

I'd suggest looking on reddit for a key distributor,

abram123
12-12-2015, 12:27 AM
Does the build include outputs for HDMI, USB, and AVI?

Don't buy Intel processors, they are trash. If I were you, I would purchase a AMD processor. :sweatdrop:

Magicalfishy
12-12-2015, 03:00 AM
I'm not sure that any monitors will have an AVI port on them, so you must have misspelled something.

Also, you will need an OS unless you have a spare key lying around.

I'd suggest looking on reddit for a key distributor,

Yeah, I mean VGA. My bad. And what do you mean by spare key?

EDIT: Whoops, just got it. Wouldn't it be super hard to get a key? Can't you only use them once?

Don't buy Intel processors, they are trash. If I were you, I would purchase a AMD processor. :sweatdrop:

Thanks, i'll keep that in mind.

ALSO, this may sound super noobish, but how come I am not seeing any HDMI, GVA, or USB ports on the cases? I guess you'd have to install stuff inside it... but how would that work?

craft3d
12-12-2015, 04:01 AM

Yes, in the lower end market AMD dominates, but higher end and sometimes middle end they win majority.

For an $800 build, Intel kicks AMD's ass in performance and upgrading, but the performance-per-dollar is better on AMD's side.

i5-4590k > AMD FX 8350

peck
12-12-2015, 07:35 AM
OK, but does it matter if I'm not overclocking?

I got an i3-4170 and a Cooler Master T2, so I'm not sure if I'll need to order some better paste later.

Even without overclocking, real thermal paste lowers temp. I almost never overclocking my stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Intel -high IPC
Amd -low IPC
However Amd is great for budget builds. FX series gives very nice performance with numerous amounts of cores.
Yes, in the lower end market AMD dominates, but higher end and sometimes middle end they win majority.

For an $800 build, Intel kicks AMD's ass in performance and upgrading, but the performance-per-dollar is better on AMD's side.

i5-4590k > AMD FX 8350

Also this ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Buy Windows or get Linux. Windows is $50. Nvidia graphics cards are also better than AMD graphics cards.

Where is a legitimate copy+key of windows $50?

Please stop comparing speeds by brand name. In the $200-$350 range AMD does quite a bit better and outside of that Nvidia takes a lead. I prefer $200 Nvidia only because of the software and drivers provided.

Equine
12-12-2015, 07:35 AM
What games are you intending on playing?

peck
12-12-2015, 07:39 AM
Does the build include outputs for HDMI, USB, and VGA?

Your graphics card will support hdmi and VGA. USB ports are front and back of the pc when hooked up to the motherboard.

I didn't include OS because you haven't suggested one.
If you want free windows> find cd of windows 7 at garage sale or wherever without a key>dazloader.

Or linuix.

Hans
12-12-2015, 07:40 AM

AMD works like gold. Low-tier, that is. But I'd grab another opportunity if I had one.

SFM2025
12-12-2015, 08:35 AM
So I don't have too much to say other than I would like to buy a gaming PC. My budget would be at max $800 USD... I'd just like something that can run games at great graphics (doesn't have to be 4k), run heavy software like video editing stuffs, and won't crash after 3 years. I'd also like for it to be able to output to at least 3 monitors ( at least 1 HDMI, 1 USB, and 1 DVI on the back). I'm not planning on buying one for a few months, and I don't plan on building one. It'd be too time consuming and complicated for me with the current schedule I'm on. If you have any suggestions be sure to leave them below.

Just search Google or YouTube for computers under $800 you'll find a lot. See the specs and make one.

- - - Updated - - -

This is my computer build. I built this computer as I ordered every part and put it together myself. :sweatdrop:

Case: http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Commander-Mid-Tower-Chassis-CA-1B5-00M1WN-00/dp/B00IS8P34E/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1447171327&sr=1-4&keywords=Black+PC+Chassis&pebp=1447171333224&perid=078P7CNVVB8R5ASBFRBZwww.safesear.ch/?type=ch-nt

MOBO: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008V9959O/ref=psdc_1048424_t1_B008B6ONXK

CPU: http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD6300WMHKBOX-FX-6300-Processor-Edition/dp/B009O7YORK/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MSH9J78RGZ28EYFSKKW

GPU: http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Gaming-Graphics-GV-N960G1-GAMING-2GD/dp/B00SD9KZCI

Power Supply: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CX600-CP-9020048-US-Power-Supply/dp/B0092ML0OC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449879715&sr=8-2&keywords=600+watt+power+supply

I run almost every game at max setting 60 FPS. This includes BO3, GTA 5, Far cry 4, CS GO, etc

I have the same GPU as you but mine is 4 GB

Magicalfishy
12-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Your graphics card will support hdmi and VGA. USB ports are front and back of the pc when hooked up to the motherboard.

I didn't include OS because you haven't suggested one.
If you want free windows> find cd of windows 7 at garage sale or wherever without a key>dazloader.

Or linuix.

Okay. Now do I need to buy extra ports for the back of the PC, or does the build come with any of the parts?

craft3d
12-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Buy Windows or get Linux. Windows is $50.

High end Intel processors are faster than the fastest AMD processor. Nvidia graphics cards are also better than AMD graphics cards.

I also threw in 4 more 4GB RAM sticks into my prebuilt PC so I have 24GB RAM (why do I need 24GB?!?!)

Ehh, some AMD cards are better than nVidia cards. The R9 390X and 390 are better investments for the future because of their high VRAM, and it's high memory bandwidth. Anything from AMD in the $250-350 range, like peck said, has a good competition with nVidia.

peck
12-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Okay. Now do I need to buy extra ports for the back of the PC, or does the build come with any of the parts?

The motherboard has all the basic ports on the back with some USB ports.
The video card also has all the ports you need. Should have a vga, hdmi, and any sound ports needed for other things.

How it works is all of them are the correct length to put into your case, and taking out the back panels of the case gives room for these ports to stick out.

Here's a picture of one of my builds that uses the power supply, case, and hard drive I recommended you.
Differences are that this build has
The gpu is a different brand of the gtx960 I recommended
970A-G43 motherboard (worst part of the build but it's good to try something new I guess)
Fx-6300 cpu.

This build can run games very nicely however the motherboard which everyone on the Internet ever has been reccomending (including many "trust worthy" YouTube peeps), is beyond terrible.
My 970a-G43 isn't defected, it works how it's supposed to, however I learned quickly about its world's worst thermal and power usage design. It will always (guaranteed) be running hotter than any other part you have as it runs 40c IDLE.
Moral of that is to find that the media on technical specs isn't a reliable source, they read the back of the box and that's it.

craft3d
12-12-2015, 06:03 PM
The motherboard has all the basic ports on the back with some USB ports.
The video card also has all the ports you need. Should have a vga, hdmi, and any sound ports needed for other things.

How it works is all of them are the correct length to put into your case, and taking out the back panels of the case gives room for these ports to stick out.

Here's a picture of one of my builds that uses the power supply, case, and hard drive I recommended you.
Differences are that this build has
The gpu is a different brand of the gtx960 I recommended
970A-G43 motherboard (worst part of the build but it's good to try something new I guess)
Fx-6300 cpu.

This build can run games very nicely however the motherboard which everyone on the Internet ever has been reccomending (including many "trust worthy" YouTube peeps), is beyond terrible.
My 970a-G43 isn't defected, it works how it's supposed to, however I learned quickly about its world's worst thermal and power usage design. It will always (guaranteed) be running hotter than any other part you have as it runs 40c IDLE.
Moral of that is to find that the media on technical specs isn't a reliable source, they read the back of the box and that's it.

Ooh, I heard about that board's thermal dissipation issues. That really sucks that you got a crappy board like that.

Nice cable management though.

PvP4MC
12-12-2015, 06:07 PM
What I would do:

1. Go on Amazon.com

2. Type in computre (you have to spell it wrong for it to work)

3. Buy the first one you see that costs $10,000 or more.

4. Repeat after 2.99 years of usage because it breaks because you set it up on the wrong side and you wonder why you dont see the power button.

Hopefully this helped! :)

~Sonic :hat:

CodeSky
12-12-2015, 10:16 PM
Cheap build to upgrade ur pc , around 600$

Video Card: GTX 750 ti 4gb
PSU: 600 W
Processor: I5 4690
8 GB ram

craft3d
12-13-2015, 12:31 AM
Cheap build to upgrade ur pc , around 600$

Video Card: GTX 750 ti 4gb
PSU: 600 W
Processor: I5 4690
8 GB ram

Isn't it kind of pointless for a 750 Ti with 4GB of VRAM? It has a low memory buffer so that's kind of pointless after 2GB.

optimuswhat
12-13-2015, 01:47 AM
Just build one yourself. It's cheaper and you can easily fix issues and upgrade your system.
Also, never buy a MacBook. There's cheaper laptops that are better and thinner.