PDA

View Full Version : What's a good processor?

Festivity
12-28-2015, 09:50 AM
If you guys do not know I have a pretty bad PC so I'm upgrading it. 75% done.
My specs:

Inno3D GTX 750 Ti
8 gigs of ram, i think ddr3 i have no idea
i3-3240

thats what im just telling i wont be needing other upgrades.

peck
12-29-2015, 06:58 AM
since you asked about the processor, i'll take that as the CPU, so I'd say i5 would be better

but tbh the gpu is more important, just make sure you're not bottlenecking
"I3? Just get I5 cpu it's faster"
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-750-vs-Intel-Core-i3-3220
Reminder that iX is a rating that only determines performance based off its time period so it's not even accurate.

On thread:
Fx6300 is my favorite budget cpu. $90, 6 core, no bottleneck until around $280 gpu performance. Fresh thermal paste makes up for its average bad stock cooler. 22c idle.

For Intel it would be i5-4690k DC. $250 solid performance, for home use or gaming it's all you need from a cpu.

craft3d
12-29-2015, 07:29 AM
"I3? Just get I5 cpu it's faster"
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-750-vs-Intel-Core-i3-3220
Reminder that iX is a rating that only determines performance based off its time period so it's not even accurate.

On thread:
Fx6300 is my favorite budget cpu. $90, 6 core, no bottleneck until around $280 gpu performance. Fresh thermal paste makes up for its average bad stock cooler. 22c idle.

For Intel it would be i5-4690k DC. $250 solid performance, for home use or gaming it's all you need from a cpu.

Very good points, but can I point out something? Don't use CPUBoss, it tends to compare raw specs and not real-world synthetic tests.

Spotlight
12-29-2015, 07:45 AM
Get a Pentium 3, /troll.

craft3d
12-29-2015, 08:26 AM
If you're talking about budget then i3-4170 is good, I5-[Any version] It's kinda costs alot, I have I5-4690 it costs 230$, Don't buy an intel I7-[anyversion] processor unless you're planning on recording games and or streaming. It's just like I5 but it can record while playing without any fps issues.

To be honest you don't have to worry about the processor as much as you need to take care of the GPU, Since it's gonna be the thing thats deciding your game performance, Also growtopia uses CPU instead of GPU. Keep that in mind.

For your first paragraph, i5 can record with little to no FPS drops, some stuttering may occur but not much, just at a lower framerate. A good budget CPU is an i3, but if you're talking about overclocking, a FX-6300 will be a great CPU for budget streaming and multitasking.

For the second one, um, you do need to worry about the CPU because the GPU doesn't allocate all it's work load exactly how it's made verus how it's sent out, so the CPU encodes the instructions sent by the GPU for it to work, and for the GPU to share some of it's load. CPU bottleneck is not very common anymore, given the more effective APIs, but the CPU still can be if you are unaware. It does matter, a lot; both of them do, and you want a GPU that is almost the same, if not a little higher than your CPU's cost in most scenarios. Also, Growtopia does use GPU to render the textures and pixels you see in your window/app. Just, minimally.

peck
12-29-2015, 07:25 PM
Very good points, but can I point out something? Don't use CPUBoss, it tends to compare raw specs and not real-world synthetic tests.

Specs and benchmarking. Though I agree not to trust the raw specs comparison because most times it's not even that accurate (like on gpuboss the gtx750ti having a texture rate only slightly less than gtx970 xP)

Festivity
12-31-2015, 06:14 AM
I see. I was planning to get an i5. I wouldn't need an i7 since it's like almost $500 dollars in my country. Thanks everyone!