PDA

View Full Version : Defend Your Popcorn: Is Everything We Learn in School Really Necessary?

Updated
01-15-2016, 01:59 PM
DEFEND YOUR POPCORN 1: IS EVERYTHING WE LEARN IN SCHOOL REALLY NECESSARY?

DYP
Defend Your Popcorn is basically a civilized debate where in you defend your
popcorn or opinion. If you think that your opinion is good, then believe that barbecue flavor is the right one and if you think that your opinion is cheese
then defend the cheese flavored popcorn! Salt is discouraged but you can still have it. It's in the bottle right there

My Opinion
In my opinion, there are just some topics discussed in schools that aren't necessary to everyone. For example, the confusing equations we learn in math. I believe that there are some jobs that require knowledge related to those equations but hey, why not just teach em in higher high school/college levels?

Now go and make your popcorn and put whichever flavor you think is good °_°

Areodax
01-15-2016, 02:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJuVdjd0snE

the god we needed, but never deserve

Kranken
01-15-2016, 02:03 PM
DEFEND YOUR POPCORN 1: IS EVERYTHING WE LEARN IN SCHOOL REALLY NECESSARY?

DYP
Defend Your Popcorn is basically a civilized debate where in you defend your
popcorn or opinion. If you think that your opinion is good, then believe that barbecue flavor is the right one and if you think that your opinion is cheese
then defend the cheese flavored popcorn! Salt is discouraged but you can still have it. It's in the bottle right there

My Opinion
In my opinion, there are just some topics discussed in schools that aren't necessary to everyone. For example, the confusing equations we learn in math. I believe that there are some jobs that require knowledge related to those equations but hey, why not just teach em in higher high school/college levels?

Now go and make your popcorn and put whichever flavor you think is good °_°

Imo math is one of the things that you might actually need.

I don't see why would you need music tho. Nor history. Why would I need to know the past when I can't possibly do anything with it.

xlightswitch
01-15-2016, 02:07 PM
caramel popcorn pls

Updated
01-15-2016, 02:08 PM

I don't see why would you need music tho. Nor history. Why would I need to know the past when I can't possibly do anything with it.

I find history amusing though. I mean the deep ones. About music, well you're pretty right imo but anyone who likes to learn things about music then they need music lol

PolarisHD
01-15-2016, 02:11 PM
Nope. Some are necessary and some are not. For example, things like learning the area of a triangle aren't necessary unless you want to become a carpenter or something and things like addition, subtraction, etc. are necessary because they are useful most of the time.

Kranken
I find history amusing though. I mean the deep ones. About music, well you're pretty right imo but anyone who likes to learn things about music then they need music lol

Music should be counted as a hobby, not a thing that you need irl. Also, we have a class in my school that should teach us how to study ._.

xlightswitch

Okay, some topics of Math is useful when we're (most of us) are old enough to work, but some topics such as Calculus aren't being used in workplaces.

Kranken
01-15-2016, 02:15 PM
Okay, some topics of Math is useful when we're (most of us) are old enough to work, but some topics such as Calculus aren't being used in workplaces.

Math is actually useful in more categories than just work. For example, if you are good in math then it is way harder to scam you irl. Also trading with stocks or trading with money. You need to know how to use the graphs and the prices to your advantage.

Updated
01-15-2016, 02:18 PM
lol

"Ok class today we gonna learn about variables"

*student learns about variables
*student grows up
*student becomes a doctor

"Ok nurse we successfully managed to get the patient's heart so now you should give me a pencil and mark this part as x then this is y"

Learnin this topic is still useful though when youre plannin to take engineering and such

26FtW26
01-15-2016, 02:23 PM
I mean seriously man, we learn so much useless crap, that we will never ever need. Parents admitted they've used only like 30% of the things I learn in school, and our family is fairly rich.

- - - Updated - - -

lol

"Ok class today we gonna learn about variables"

*student learns about variables
*student grows up
*student becomes a doctor

"Ok nurse we successfully managed to get the patient's heart so now you should give me a pencil and mark this part as x then this is y"

Learnin this topic is still useful though when youre plannin to take engineering and such

Yeah, but why not teach it in an engineering school, then :( That wat doesnt make sense.

peck
01-15-2016, 06:11 PM
I mean seriously man, we learn so much useless crap, that we will never ever need. Parents admitted they've used only like 30% of the things I learn in school, and our family is fairly rich.
What people arent understanding is schools and educators dont actually expect you to use EVERYTHING you learnt. Everyone needs a basic understanding of all subjects to have all options as an adult. If everyone as a child are to pick their career and only learn things suited to it, our society would be a bunch of specialized robots, and nobody would understand eachother because of it.

I had a math teacher whose summer job was re teaching car mechanics geometry, they thought engineering school was all they needed, and according to engineering school it was under the assumption they knew it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, but why not teach it in an engineering school, then :( That wat doesnt make sense.

Well for all situations to be covered in engineering, you would need to know math, science, literature, and bits of history. Hey, that just so happens to be the core classes, funky.

If someone wanted to actually learn only what they think they need, teach yourself instead of going under a teacher that goes over all generalities.

PURPLE585
01-15-2016, 07:12 PM
i defend my popcorn by never associating myself with it

RexStar
01-15-2016, 07:15 PM
I defend my popcorn by eating it.
no one is gonna get it now...