PDA

View Full Version : why do parents always push you to get good grades?

lolgal96
02-01-2016, 10:31 PM
to make a long story short, i ended up with a 63 on my science midterms.

seems bad, but compared to the class filled with kids that got 30s, 40s, and 50s, i did pretty good.

i told my mom and, based on the circumstances, she isn't mad. all, and i mean, ALL, of my science study materials are in my old house from which we were evicted. my only form of study material was a partially completed constellation sheet.

i seriously tried on that test. i thought i did okay. i thought that i wouldn't bomb it.

but, here i am. i wanted so bad to do good but the pressure and stress of my dad and grandparents telling me that i have to ace all my midterms weighed me down. i wanted, truly wanted, to do good. obviously it's only 10% of my grade, but still, it feels like a LOT to me.

i don't want to tell my dad because i'll get "you should have done better. you're better than this." sure, in the 5th grade. 5th grade is much much easier than high school. half the stuff i couldn't study for because at the end of the 2nd marking period i totally emptied out my binder. i didn't know we'd get evicted. i figured i could dig it out towards the end of january to study.

but i couldn't. and here we are. i don't want to tell my grandparents, i'm not that worried about my dad because i'll just have my mom explain it to him because she really understands why i didn't do good. we were given a study guide that was the test but, like i said, i couldn't do it.

i don't know why i'm still being treated like a genius child when i'm trying my hardest in school to get good grades. this was my best effort. if i could have done better, i definitely would have.

abt79
02-01-2016, 10:33 PM
To get a job in the long run

63? You can definitely do better than that, no way you're in an Ivy or something yet.

Nooby4life
02-01-2016, 10:34 PM
If I get 1 B on report card I'll get switched districts. So ya. Even a 89.

I mean like I am trying my best? Why do they keep saying try you best and s**t even though you are? They just don't understand...

lolgal96
02-01-2016, 10:34 PM
To get a job in the long run

63? You can definitely do better than that, no way you're in an Ivy or something yet.

i couldn't study. i legitimately could not get my materials to study. they dumped us out of the house, and that's that.

abt79
02-01-2016, 10:44 PM
i couldn't study. i legitimately could not get my materials to study. they dumped us out of the house, and that's that.

That sucks

Either way school really isn't what it should be, but unless you want a low paying blue collar job (I honestly don't mind physical labor, but whatever maybe you don't) or unemployment you'll have to work hard in school

TehPug
02-01-2016, 10:47 PM

seems bad, but compared to the class filled with kids that got 30s, 40s, and 50s, i did pretty good.

i told my mom and, based on the circumstances, she isn't mad. all, and i mean, ALL, of my science study materials are in my old house from which we were evicted. my only form of study material was a partially completed constellation sheet.

i seriously tried on that test. i thought i did okay. i thought that i wouldn't bomb it.

but, here i am. i wanted so bad to do good but the pressure and stress of my dad and grandparents telling me that i have to ace all my midterms weighed me down. i wanted, truly wanted, to do good. obviously it's only 10% of my grade, but still, it feels like a LOT to me.

i don't want to tell my dad because i'll get "you should have done better. you're better than this." sure, in the 5th grade. 5th grade is much much easier than high school. half the stuff i couldn't study for because at the end of the 2nd marking period i totally emptied out my binder. i didn't know we'd get evicted. i figured i could dig it out towards the end of january to study.

but i couldn't. and here we are. i don't want to tell my grandparents, i'm not that worried about my dad because i'll just have my mom explain it to him because she really understands why i didn't do good. we were given a study guide that was the test but, like i said, i couldn't do it.

i don't know why i'm still being treated like a genius child when i'm trying my hardest in school to get good grades. this was my best effort. if i could have done better, i definitely would have.

Sorry to be racist buuuuuut, I understand what you're saying if you're asian. I JUST HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD TO SAY THAT.

Metalwire
02-01-2016, 10:52 PM

They have hope that you can do better then what they, and so do I. They pressure you to do better. I get that it's hard to understand but when you get older you will thank them for putting such belief in you. I know you can do this don't overthink it.

Christopher
02-01-2016, 11:01 PM
Good grades = $$$ in the future

Plus it's embarrassing to be the father of a child who has straight F's all throughout school. A lot of adults judge each other

"Oh your child passed math with a 69%? Oh that's a adorable, my child passed with a 95%" it's always a competition lmao. Plus that parent gets bragging rights "HEY, MY CHILD PASSED HIS ENGLISH EXAMS WITH AN A!!!! WOOHOO!!!!"

AxelDragon
02-01-2016, 11:04 PM
What grade are you in? 5th or High school? That's the question?

|ThyLuigi|
02-01-2016, 11:05 PM
Good grades doesn't necessarily mean success in the future, in fact, I'd say success is decided by your capacity to strive in your environment—a skill schools don't teach.

AxelDragon
02-01-2016, 11:08 PM
They try to make you better to have a better life and not be a hobo asking for money of food, I feel bad for them, but it's their fault, first comes school, then you can worry about getting Married and having kids. But taking test are never gonna end, even to get a job, some jobs provide you to take a test. Really, you'll never stop taking tests!

Tweety6ird
02-01-2016, 11:08 PM
That sucks

Either way school really isn't what it should be, but unless you want a low paying blue collar job (I honestly don't mind physical labor, but whatever maybe you don't) or unemployment you'll have to work hard in school

You'd be surprised. If you don't think you're doing that great in school, pick up a trade. People make incredibly pay working physical labour, except you have to be willing to work tiresome hours. A blue-collar worker makes much much more than the average person who spent years upon years in school to get a white-collared job.
My point is, if you feel school isn't the right method for you, (like I said) pick up a trade. It could help your family out, in the time of need that you're in, and will give you an amazing pay if you're willing to work hard for it.

abt79
02-01-2016, 11:19 PM
Good grades doesn't necessarily mean success in the future, in fact, I'd say success is decided by your capacity to strive in your environment—a skill schools don't teach.

Parents like the peace of mind knowing their children have a tangible way to prove they're fit to earn money though

|ThyLuigi|
02-01-2016, 11:59 PM
Parents like the peace of mind knowing their children have a tangible way to prove they're fit to earn money though

A lot of times it just seems like parents do as a nonpurposeful conform to the idea that "your kid should have good grades".

JOSHIE63
02-02-2016, 12:08 AM
I apoligize for coming off as a jerk, but those are simply excuses. Granted, no one should expect anything unreasonable, but you should have expectations pertaining to your discovered aptitude as well. For example, asking the teacher for a few materials would have been a perfectly viable option. If that was not, there are classmates as well as friends that would be willing to take some time to aid you in that predicament.

I really am not intended in being rude; I just hope you are aware that high school is where responsibility is a pertinent necessity. Self-management is an important skill to lay claim to.

Good grades = $$$ in the future

Plus it's embarrassing to be the father of a child who has straight F's all throughout school. A lot of adults judge each other

"Oh your child passed math with a 69%? Oh that's a adorable, my child passed with a 95%" it's always a competition lmao. Plus that parent gets bragging rights "HEY, MY CHILD PASSED HIS ENGLISH EXAMS WITH AN A!!!! WOOHOO!!!!"

This is partially why I detest the adulthood in a community. They are just as immature as their children.

abt79
02-02-2016, 01:25 AM
A lot of times it just seems like parents do as a nonpurposeful conform to the idea that "your kid should have good grades".

Meh, sort of. Strange as it may sound though, 99.99% of the time your parents really really do care about your well being (well at least what they consider it to be). You pretty much wouldn't have survived your entire life, and would be much less happy either way, had that not been the case.
Only recently did I realize this, and as I'm not yet a parent (sort of working on it, ish) I don't think I even fully appreciate it

I apoligize for coming off as a jerk, but those are simply excuses. Granted, no one should expect anything unreasonable, but you should have expectations pertaining to your discovered aptitude as well. For example, asking the teacher for a few materials would have been a perfectly viable option. If that was not, there are classmates as well as friends that would be willing to take some time to aid you in that predicament.

I really am not intended in being rude; I just hope you are aware that high school is where responsibility is a pertinent necessity. Self-management is an important skill to lay claim to.

This is partially why I detest the adulthood in a community. They are just as immature as their children.

"The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult."
-Alden Nowlan

Jpup7
02-02-2016, 01:27 AM
Really trying your best is all that matters. Your parents just want you to get a career you want and be happy in life.

AlexKat
02-02-2016, 02:05 AM
I dont get pressured alot that much and that is what made me get good grades.

I'm at least one of the smartest kids in my school. In math i'm about the 3rd smartest overall in my grade. Not to brag.

Your mom is not like pressuring you so you could do better next time. She understands that you don't have the materials to do it. Its okay. Dont focus too much on the grade. Just have confidence for your next test and make sure to study it good but not too hard. Too much stress makes you alittle dumber. But if you get frustrated on a question, take 10 seconds deep breaths.

abt79
02-02-2016, 02:17 AM
I dont get pressured alot that much and that is what made me get good grades.

I'm at least one of the smartest kids in my school. In math i'm about the 3rd smartest overall in my grade. Not to brag.

Your mom is not like pressuring you so you could do better next time. She understands that you don't have the materials to do it. Its okay. Dont focus too much on the grade. Just have confidence for your next test and make sure to study it good but not too hard. Too much stress makes you alittle dumber. But if you get frustrated on a question, take 10 seconds deep breaths.

"Brag"
"Not to brag"

Whatever I'll allow it, as you sound like a reasonable person and presented a good point. :hat:

Aunos
02-02-2016, 02:18 AM
I do my best~ gets low grades
My friends do nothing~ gets high grades.

And my mom said I played too much.

abt79
02-02-2016, 02:25 AM
I do my best~ gets low grades
My friends do nothing~ gets high grades.

And my mom said I played too much.

:crazy: I was like your friends. Don't worry and keep working, some day your hard work will pay off, the work force doesn't favor lazy people like school does.

syrup
02-02-2016, 02:44 AM
the only reason i get straight A's is because dj khaled tells me im smort everyday

http://dailydeats.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/14161045924971.png

Kireek
02-02-2016, 03:25 AM
Teachers will be inclined to understand if you explained to them your problem. Or reiterating another said point, get the materials from a teacher or friend. Better yet, why was your study material misplaced? Being a prudent student is a necessity for high school. Don't mistake this for being an SJW , "always obey your parents" response, but considering the former, why wouldn't your guardians get pissed off?

Not implying that you didn't try your best, but if you truly tried everything in your power, then explain to your teacher; They'd understand (not all teachers are lazy asshat, nose-pickers as these forumers make them to be. However, if you do have one like that, good luck).

|ThyLuigi|
02-02-2016, 03:29 AM
Teachers will be inclined to understand if you explained to them your problem. Or reiterating another said point, get the materials from a teacher or friend. Better yet, why was your study material misplaced? Being a prudent student is a necessity for high school. Don't mistake this for being an SJW , "always obey your parents" response, but considering the former, why wouldn't your guardians get pissed off?

Not implying that you didn't try your best, but if you truly tried everything in your power, then explain to your teacher; They'd understand (not all teachers are lazy asshat, nose-pickers as these forumers make them to be. However, if you do have one like that, good luck).

His study material wasn't misplaced, he had to move without notice.

Edwardson97
02-02-2016, 03:30 AM
So you don't become broke and homeless. They want you to achieve the most you can, also in HighSchool it counts the most. As most colleges won't let you in if you have a bad GPA. It's not that hard either, you just need to remember things. Simple.

Kireek
02-02-2016, 03:43 AM
His study material wasn't misplaced, he had to move without notice.

half the stuff i couldn't study for because at the end of the 2nd marking period i totally emptied out my binder. i didn't know we'd get evicted. i figured i could dig it out towards the end of january to study.

This is what I'm going off on. Majority of the things you study should be organized at least in some folder or three-ring binder. Also, if you're dumping out papers, at least be able to discern what you may or may not need.

SuperJ
02-02-2016, 03:51 AM
You can not pass every test. You simply can't, you will never. You will understand in High school. In Middle School, Elementary School etc, your grades don't even matter, unless you do so bad that you get 30's on everything. 63 is not going to harm you, in High school though, you are looking to get into a good College or University (unless you want something else). 63 will damage you then, when you are looking for scholarships or other things that will get you into college easier.

So don't worry about it, it's just one test. ;3

Or you might be in High School idk... Even if you are, it's still just one test, and you'll go through it.

Sk8ter
02-02-2016, 03:52 AM
Bro your grades really matter. Your parents just don't want you to live with them until you're thirty because you don't have a financially stable life. Good grades means a higher chance of success, a higher chance of success means more monies, more monies means you can spend your monies on cool things like taxes and bobbleheads

Punch
02-02-2016, 09:21 AM
That moment when you get scolded for a 98, even though the average score of my classmates are 72. ;-;

Tempting
02-02-2016, 12:20 PM
I'm pretty sure parents want the best for their kids, even if it means being hard on them when it comes to grades. Or some parents have unrealistic expectations, and want us to have no free time or social life. One of the two.

abt79
02-02-2016, 02:13 PM
That moment when you get scolded for a 98, even though the average score of my classmates are 72. ;-;

You shouldn't be scolded for a 98 unless the it's pretty easy for you to get a 100, but just because other people have poor grades doesn't mean you necessarily have an excuse

Boomer
02-02-2016, 02:28 PM

What was the subject? Reading for Kindergartners?

Areodax
02-02-2016, 09:27 PM
If I had a low grade on any of my subjects, my parents would blame Growtopia or my computer because it made a bad influence on me.

The thing is, I don't play Growtopia that much anymore, nor being an arse because of the internet. They just do that, blame whoever. And plus, I shouldn't EVEN be pressured to get a lot in the periodical exams, since they only consist of only a small part of my grade. It's ridiculous how they would keep asking me how my scores are going when it's just small. They do tend to pull my other grades down if I'm not careful, which sucks tbh.

As someone who's in Grade 10 (other name for 4th year HS), you need to do the requirements, assignments, projects etc. to get a fairly good grade. Kinda like Sans, except without the illegal hotdog stand.

VincecraftTN
02-02-2016, 10:06 PM
That sucks

Actually, IMO, good blue collar jobs will be much higher paying soon if trump wins- no Mexicans providing 90% of your food (with all respect- I'm making fun of my fellow Americans. I respect Mexicans) there will be a MASSIVE lack of physical labor, causing everything to go up or, make the 4 billion 'I wanna be a programmer cuz I don't have to do work' get their lazy but out of their chair.
Nuff said.

And, not to brag, but I got a 4.6 gpa without studying for a single exam here in 8th grade... So I honestly don't fell ya.
I'm on the BJU curriculum. I'm literally honors everything.
Lol, all respect and good luck

President Obama
02-02-2016, 10:09 PM
Actually, IMO, good blue collar jobs will be much higher paying soon if trump wins- no Mexicans providing 90% of your food (with all respect- I'm making fun of my fellow Americans. I respect Mexicans) there will be a MASSIVE lack of physical labor, causing everything to go up or, make the 4 billion 'I wanna be a programmer cuz I don't have to do work' get their lazy but out of their chair.
Nuff said.
Well as President I have the same duty as well Sitting in a chair in the oval office is a pain But i make sure that the governors or senators understand my command

Minecraftpee
02-02-2016, 10:11 PM
wow, i get 99% and i feel horrible... 12 question test

abt79
02-03-2016, 02:36 AM
Nuff said.

And, not to brag, but I got a 4.6 gpa without studying for a single exam here in 8th grade... So I honestly don't fell ya.
I'm on the BJU curriculum. I'm literally honors everything.
Lol, all respect and good luck
I thought gpa only went up to 4.5.... What's your actual 1-100 grade?

Anyways, the way I see it grades are important in telling your work ethic+intelligence, but in middle schools and even most high schools you don't have to be too smart if you're hardworking and (in my experience) vice versa to get good grades

Metalwire
02-03-2016, 02:38 AM
I thought gpa only went up to 4.5.... What's your actual 1-100 grade?

Anyways, the way I see it grades are important in telling your work ethic+intelligence, but in middle schools and even most high schools you don't have to be too smart if you're hardworking and (in my experience) vice versa to get good grades
As long as you can see yourself having future this will require sacrifice. Not everything will be easy but, the road to success is limited and you must take that chance

abt79
02-03-2016, 02:40 AM
As long as you can see yourself having future this will require sacrifice. Not everything will be easy but, the road to success is limited and you must take that chance

Yep, and in the working world work ethic is more important than intelligence, but having at least a little work ethic allows a lot of intelligence to get you pretty far

|ThyLuigi|
02-03-2016, 05:13 AM
I got an A- on my science exams and my mom flipped on me despite the average grade for the class being a B-.

I have 7 A's and a B, yet my mom still got pissed.

Like seriously, this is rather overboard.

lolgal96
02-03-2016, 10:24 AM
What grade are you in? 5th or High school? That's the question?

9th grade. i don't understand how i did so poorly on the midterms because i had a high b THIS marking period and a 96 LAST marking period in the class.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I'm going off on. Majority of the things you study should be organized at least in some folder or three-ring binder. Also, if you're dumping out papers, at least be able to discern what you may or may not need.

[/COLOR]

they were in a drawer in the desk i put all my extra study materials in when i won't need them for a while. i was GOING to grab those papers towards the midterms, but we were evicted. i COULDN'T STUDY. i know exactly where they are, in the bottom right hand drawer of the desk in my old living room, in the house i'm locked out of.

abt79
02-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Some people have good memories. Which is also why tests in general aren't 100% fair towards everyone. They mainly require you to memorize.

Depends, in high school math and even sciences it's more about being able to think and figure things out, but some people are better than others at that too.

Of course, in a sense not everyone is born smart and we should reward intelligence as well as hard work, while still providing a learning experience to those who aren't as smart.