PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: How necessary is college?

|ThyLuigi|
02-02-2016, 03:40 AM
How important is college?

I'm going to start this off with some rules
- Be respectful
- Provide a full response with real evidence
- No asinine behavior in general

My argument:
College can be important and can provide skills vital to a career choice, but I feel that often people assume that going to college is the only way to get a fulfilling career, while I can say it easily is not. Instead of treating it like a place to build your entire future, it should be treated as a place to study what is truly needed to be succesful.

Update: Remember, argue your claim! This is a discussion.

Metalwire
02-02-2016, 03:42 AM

- Be respectful

My argument:
College can be important and can provide skills vital to a career choice, but I feel that often people assume that going to college is the only way to get a fulfilling career, while I can say it easily is not. Instead of treating it like a place to build your entire future, it should be treated as a place to study what is truly needed to be succesful.
College can be interpreted as a gateway to a good career it's up to interpretation and how you think you fit. I honestly want to get a good career, It all depends if the person wants to continue such education to pursue a welcoming career.

SuperJ
02-02-2016, 03:45 AM
It depends on what you want. You want to be a pop star? College is a waste of your time. You want to be an engineer? College is a key component of your life.

See what college is?

|ThyLuigi|
02-02-2016, 03:48 AM
College can be interpreted as a gateway to a good career it's up to interpretation and how you think you fit. I honestly want to get a good career, It all depends if the person wants to continue such education to pursue a welcoming career.

But there are many careers that make well above an average, and need little to no certification, such as
- Simple design
- RPSGT
- Music careers

Chocolatte
02-02-2016, 03:48 AM
There are four pathways to a future.
1. Start a job right after high scool
2. Learn as an apprentice for several years before getting a job
3. College
4. University

Each has it's own pros and cons. It's up to you to choose.

Metalwire
02-02-2016, 03:49 AM
But there are many careers that make well above an average, and need little to no certification, such as
- Simple design
- RPSGT
- Music careers
Well in progression yes it will lead to good success but keep in mind it will take time and dedication

|ThyLuigi|
02-02-2016, 03:54 AM
Well in progression yes it will lead to good success but keep in mind it will take time and dedication

Isn't that true with anything that provides gain?

Metalwire
02-02-2016, 03:56 AM
Isn't that true with anything that provides gain?
Yes but there are easier way such as education that will increase limitations by surpassing

Defuse
02-02-2016, 04:07 AM
College can go forward many ways, certain degrees can get you a job. Like a masters degree for example, but you dont have to go to college if you are like bill gates or casey Neistat.

EQG
02-02-2016, 04:10 AM

Im going to college. I have no choice.

Simply Awesome.

craft3d
02-02-2016, 04:41 AM

- Be respectful

My argument:

Update: Remember, argue your claim! This is a discussion.

I believe colleges/universities can be of some necessity given what career you are imposed to selecting. You can become a pilot or a computer tech, or even a dental hygienist, but the amount of salary increase versus the non-college route is tremendous and the benefits do show, if you can imply and apply your money's worth into your career. However, the ideals of going to college can seem scary and turn many fresh students out of high school down; whether costs, stress, or just the idea of leaving home frightens you, it turns away young recruits and leaves them to go down different, less diverse but still viable job sectors.

In the final conclusion, the answer is undecided for the masses but in my opinion, it is not an absolute road to travel down but more of a imminent one had you wanted a more diverse, different, exotic, and intriguing career path.

Megazork
02-02-2016, 06:14 AM
"I don't want to go to college, dad"

"And I don't want to call you my son anymore"

You see, I think college is very necessary.

Spotlight
02-02-2016, 08:00 AM
I plan on going to college, but damn is it expensive. Hoping to get some aid, I'm a freshman in HS and I've already got Iowa State and Rensselaer (RPI) looking at me.

craft3d
02-02-2016, 01:58 PM
I plan on going to college, but damn is it expensive. Hoping to get some aid, I'm a freshman in HS and I've already got Iowa State and Rensselaer (RPI) looking at me.

God, don't even get started on Canadian prices.

Boomer
02-02-2016, 03:09 PM
My uncle has offered me when I turn 18 to become an apprentice with him in his very good job. As far as I know, no college required.

So I give college a 3.

KAGEE
02-02-2016, 03:18 PM
I believe that college not only opens up many career paths, but also helps you realize the importance of many life skills, such as managing your time as efficiently as possible as well as keeping a stable social life. It can help you in many areas, while harming you in others (expenses are a common point, and reasonably).

Ultimately, though, even if I consider it to be something that's highly recommended, I'm not going to doubt anyone who chooses not to attend or go through with it. A person who doesn't go to college can be just as successful as someone who does, depending on many variables, of course.

GTLighty
02-02-2016, 03:23 PM
It's pretty important. I'd say, if you ever get the chance, take it. Or if you're hesitating, take it because your life can go in so many new directions. But if you can't afford it whatsoever or really have a desire to do something else, I guess nobody can stop you but yourself.

Solsagann
02-02-2016, 05:23 PM
I remember when I first started college, I had that teacher who said, on our very first day, "you can succeed in life if you have a particular talent, if you don't, you have to study". And he told us that he started from the bottom in an Italian immigrant family and is now a super duper high-level teacher with tons of diplomas. That's quite depressing but true. I love studying, I love learning new stuff, I love working on an essay for days and days and seeing the 30 pages I wrote once it's finished. It takes a lot of dedication, motivation and confidence to enter college and start long studies. You have to be an adult, be responsible, start thinking for yourself, organize your work to avoid doing everything the night before the due time, balance your studies with your social life and hobbies.. I love that man, I'm going to do long studies.

However, you can, of course, succeed in life without college. As my grumpy teacher said, when you are really talented in a particular domain it will be way easier for you to be recognized and looked up to. Most of the richest person right now aren't people who studied for years and years, they sometimes just had an idea and worked hard for it (or were born in a rich family, welp). It takes a lot of luck to succeed this way, but if you do, that's awesome. As for one would rather study and stay in college as much as I can, even if I had an insane talent in anything. Being in college, even though it can be fairly expensive, is a great way to expand your surroundings, meet people, gain experience and apprehend the painful and challenging adult life. You can have a little job in the meantime and get some professionalism, earn some money, buy a car, travel with your friends, and still work to get the job you always wanted. College is like choosing to drive on the highway on the road to success, it's usually easy when you're dedicated enough but it can be quite crowded. On the other hand, choosing not to go to college and finding a job right after high school is pretty much like taking the old and crumbling road on the side of a mountain. It's hard, you will fall a lot of times but each failures will make you learn and gain experience, most people will never actually succeed by choosing this path and some will just give up, but once you reached the top you will be able to admire a wonderful view on all the work you accomplished and the cool life you can now enjoy. Either ways, it's all about working hard, being dedicated and serious. though i have an essay for tomorrow i haven't started yet halp

Boomer
02-02-2016, 05:53 PM
though i have an essay for tomorrow i haven't started yet halp

I have 3. I can write, I just don't like it very much.

|ThyLuigi|
02-02-2016, 11:05 PM
I remember when I first started college, I had that teacher who said, on our very first day, "you can succeed in life if you have a particular talent, if you don't, you have to study". And he told us that he started from the bottom in an Italian immigrant family and is now a super duper high-level teacher with tons of diplomas. That's quite depressing but true. I love studying, I love learning new stuff, I love working on an essay for days and days and seeing the 30 pages I wrote once it's finished. It takes a lot of dedication, motivation and confidence to enter college and start long studies. You have to be an adult, be responsible, start thinking for yourself, organize your work to avoid doing everything the night before the due time, balance your studies with your social life and hobbies.. I love that man, I'm going to do long studies.

However, you can, of course, succeed in life without college. As my grumpy teacher said, when you are really talented in a particular domain it will be way easier for you to be recognized and looked up to. Most of the richest person right now aren't people who studied for years and years, they sometimes just had an idea and worked hard for it (or were born in a rich family, welp). It takes a lot of luck to succeed this way, but if you do, that's awesome. As for one would rather study and stay in college as much as I can, even if I had an insane talent in anything. Being in college, even though it can be fairly expensive, is a great way to expand your surroundings, meet people, gain experience and apprehend the painful and challenging adult life. You can have a little job in the meantime and get some professionalism, earn some money, buy a car, travel with your friends, and still work to get the job you always wanted. College is like choosing to drive on the highway on the road to success, it's usually easy when you're dedicated enough but it can be quite crowded. On the other hand, choosing not to go to college and finding a job right after high school is pretty much like taking the old and crumbling road on the side of a mountain. It's hard, you will fall a lot of times but each failures will make you learn and gain experience, most people will never actually succeed by choosing this path and some will just give up, but once you reached the top you will be able to admire a wonderful view on all the work you accomplished and the cool life you can now enjoy. Either ways, it's all about working hard, being dedicated and serious. though i have an essay for tomorrow i haven't started yet halp

But there is a variety of jobs that still pay well, even if you don't go to college—some of which actually take less work and might serve a more stable work environment than college careers. I listed some examples, but apprenticeships especially are a great example of this.

College can go forward many ways, certain degrees can get you a job. Like a masters degree for example, but you dont have to go to college if you are like bill gates or casey Neistat.

(Pss...Bill Gates dropped out of HARVARD University)
I must bring up another topic—why must college be a place to get a degree, when it can easily be a place to simply learn about a singular specific topic? For instance, let's say I want to learn calculus(this isn't a good example), but I don't want to get a full math degree, why must I be expected to get a degree?

I believe that college not only opens up many career paths, but also helps you realize the importance of many life skills, such as managing your time as efficiently as possible as well as keeping a stable social life. It can help you in many areas, while harming you in others (expenses are a common point, and reasonably).

Ultimately, though, even if I consider it to be something that's highly recommended, I'm not going to doubt anyone who chooses not to attend or go through with it. A person who doesn't go to college can be just as successful as someone who does, depending on many variables, of course.

College can open up really only a maximum of a few careers, because in reality, no one goes to college to get 5 degrees in different fields, they go to get one specific degree and then go out into the world realizing it didn't go the way they planned.

MyLegGuy
02-03-2016, 01:20 AM
If you want to be a professional Mc.Donalds french fry cooker, then you don't need to go to college. I'll go with number 4.

BoredSozes
02-03-2016, 09:46 AM
In my parents generation, having a degree = having a good job. In my generation, having a degree = not very much. Throw a stone and it'll probably hit a graduate.

It's not just about the degree you get. It's about what you DO with the degree that counts.

A lot of people end up going into fields that isnt what they chose to major in in college.

As long as you are at the very top or very best at what field you choose to go into, you will have "success". Doesn't matter if it's best burger flipper or best waitress, if you really are the top few burger flipping people, you can go on to be a world-class chef. If you are the best waiter or waitress, you could start your own restaurant or start-up a program that educates people on efficiency in restaurant service or something. I bet firms will pay loads for that.

TL;DR If you are the best at what you choose to do, it doesn't matter what you choose to do or whether you went to college or not.

Mahmoud
02-03-2016, 11:10 AM
In my country no...
All you need in my country is to have money if you have money then you can easily skip college and get anything you want, so far every good job here need you to have a higher ranked person or VIP in this country or a vary rich parents or family to get any job or thing you want, for example you can get your car driving licensee if your dad is a vip or a vary rich person, if not you will have to be 18 and you have to get tested, sadly if you dont have rich parents then you are like a bug in this country no matter how smart you are, if you go to college and even get 100% at every test you would have to travel outside the country to get the job you want if you dont then enjoy your life as being a poorly treated and recieve a small amount of wage.

My country doesnt care about how hard you study in college or how hard you work, all you need here is money and VIP if you dont focus on that then you will fail to survive here.

but there is good sides!
You can easily work harder and harder to become better to reach the job you want all you need is to work hard before college get loan from a bank and then start your own project and make it work if you can then you have became successful

What made this country to be on this way is our leaders ex: president, cant blame anyone but him or maybe there is a bigger theory on it.
You can also become a sgt by just paying money yearly.

xlightswitch
02-03-2016, 11:34 AM
Due to social norms, going to and graduating in college proves that you are intelligent and can get you various jobs. But I believe that this social norm caused potential talents to be wasted. We are forced to follow the majority: to attend school and graduate. Decades ago, well-known people began realising and showing their uniquely good talent at a young age. Mozart composed their first symphony at 8-years-old. The 8-years-old we know today can only play songs with a different theme or lyrics but with the same tune.