PDA

View Full Version : How To Get Rid Of A Backflip Fear?

SilentDogs
02-11-2016, 04:17 AM
I want to learn to do a backflip without hurting myself, I'd want to do it on the ground but I think it would be best if I learn to do it on the trampoline first just so I can get rid of that fear.
I was outside for 2 hours on the trampoline trying to do that backflip, but I have that fear of landing on my neck - I'm not afraid of going upside down.

So, do any of you guys have any tricks/tips to get rid of that fear of doing a backflip? Thanks in advance! :hat:

firekid
02-11-2016, 04:20 AM
I want to learn to do a backflip without hurting myself, I'd want to do it on the ground but I think it would be best if I learn to do it on the trampoline first just so I can get rid of that fear.
I was outside for 2 hours on the trampoline trying to do that backflip, but I have that fear of landing on my neck - I'm not afraid of going upside down.

So, do any of you guys have any tricks/tips to get rid of that fear of doing a backflip? Thanks in advance! :hat:

Jump higher? curl yourself like a ball so you can turn faster? Don't risk on breaking anything.:sweatdrop:

AdminBro
02-11-2016, 04:20 AM

It thought you had more than 1,000 posts kek nvm. Sorry for going off topic.

SilentDogs
02-11-2016, 04:22 AM
Jump higher? curl yourself like a ball so you can turn faster? Don't risk on breaking anything.:sweatdrop:

When you're doing your backflip, apparently you need to tuck in mid air.

firekid
02-11-2016, 04:24 AM
Conquer your fears, set goals, and try your best. Fears can be beaten but also can destroy you. The more you worry it would be likely to hurt something.

SilentDogs
02-11-2016, 05:29 AM
Just giving this a bump for more tips and advice.

ULTRA ASIAN
02-11-2016, 05:31 AM
Count to 3
on 1 imagine it in your head
on 2 say to yourself you can do it.
on 3 flip.

Megazork
02-11-2016, 05:31 AM
Well I've found that trying to confirm with an expert or someone who knows what they're talking about to see if you're doing it correctly helps.

I'd recommend to do them on some cusions/mats after trampolines (like the kind you see for drama acting classes and cheerleading). After you know that you can land on your own two feet on solidish ground using your own starting force, you're pretty much set.

SilentDogs
02-11-2016, 05:39 AM
Well I've found that trying to confirm with an expert or someone who knows what they're talking about to see if you're doing it correctly helps.

I'd recommend to do them on some cusions/mats after trampolines (like the kind you see for drama acting classes and cheerleading). After you know that you can land on your own two feet on solidish ground using your own starting force, you're pretty much set.

Great tip, except I don't really have a spotter who is really that professional. I just watch tutorials on Youtube, that helps me know exactly what I'm supposed to be doing, I just need to get rid of that fear...

SilentDogs
02-11-2016, 08:54 AM
Giving this a bump.

SilentDogs
02-11-2016, 06:34 PM
Count to 3
on 1 imagine it in your head
on 2 say to yourself you can do it.
on 3 flip.

Oh yes, I did that last year and I got frightened in mid air and I landed on my neck, the next day I couldn't move it at all... I think that was because I didn't stretch before attempting the backflip.

Tempting
02-11-2016, 08:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVL_F-JfaSs

Learn from the best. Be like Sporticus. He does backflips for breakfast.

bluemtndew
02-11-2016, 08:34 PM
Land on your neck, break it, and die. Then you won't have any more fears! :wave:

Sk8ter
02-11-2016, 08:41 PM
This brings me back. Last year I had my trampoline up and I was trying to teach a friend of mine how to do one and he landed right on his neck. He's tough so he didn't cry or anything but it was hilarous lmao

ok so this is how I learned. You have to get that tuck in. To practice the tuck, jump and do the backflip procedure but land on your back and sort of roll backwards so that you do a mini one off of your back. Let me explain: you jump up (but not too high or you will break your face) and then tuck in sort of and land on your back. When you bounce up from your back, do the backflip motion where you flip. It's sort of a somersault but in the air. Then once you get used to the backward feel, try doing a full backflip on the trampoline and eventually you'll get good enough to do it on the ground (unless you don't have hops cuz you need to jump really hard to do it.) You probably won't land it the first time on the trampoline but practice makes perfect ;)

SilentDogs
02-11-2016, 08:48 PM
This brings me back. Last year I had my trampoline up and I was trying to teach a friend of mine how to do one and he landed right on his neck. He's tough so he didn't cry or anything but it was hilarous lmao

ok so this is how I learned. You have to get that tuck in. To practice the tuck, jump and do the backflip procedure but land on your back and sort of roll backwards so that you do a mini one off of your back. Let me explain: you jump up (but not too high or you will break your face) and then tuck in sort of and land on your back. When you bounce up from your back, do the backflip motion where you flip. It's sort of a somersault but in the air. Then once you get used to the backward feel, try doing a full backflip on the trampoline and eventually you'll get good enough to do it on the ground (unless you don't have hops cuz you need to jump really hard to do it.) You probably won't land it the first time on the trampoline but practice makes perfect ;)

That helped! Thank you. :o

SilentDogs
02-11-2016, 11:02 PM
Maybe a bump?

SuperJ
02-11-2016, 11:03 PM
Just do it. Jump in the air and flip ez pz.

SilentDogs
02-11-2016, 11:06 PM
Just do it. Jump in the air and flip ez pz.

I'm just gonna go for it, you only live once right? If I land on my head and die, then that would be my fault. :p

SuperJ
02-11-2016, 11:12 PM
I'm just gonna go for it, you only live once right? If I land on my head and die, then that would be my fault. :pThat's a little extreme. You only live once, but once you end your life well, there's not much more to live for. Don't talk about dying because your doing a back flip. XD

But yeah man go for it! ;3

SilentDogs
02-11-2016, 11:15 PM
That's a little extreme. You only live once, but once you end your life well, there's not much more to live for. Don't talk about dying because your doing a back flip. XD

But yeah man go for it! ;3

I wasn't being serious, that was a figure of speech. ;)

SuperJ
02-11-2016, 11:16 PM
I wasn't being serious, that was a figure of speech. ;)Ok. I just don't want my friends dying of you know what I'm saying? ;3

SilentDogs
02-11-2016, 11:20 PM
Ok. I just don't want my friends dying of you know what I'm saying? ;3

Don't worry, I understand. ;)

Invest
02-11-2016, 11:50 PM
That's all you need.

SilentDogs
02-12-2016, 02:19 AM
That's all you need.

I've been trying to do that for a while, it's much harder than it sounds...

Coinman32
02-12-2016, 02:27 AM
To get rid of the fear of actually going over, I did it into a foam pit a couple dozen times just getting used to the motion. You could use swimming pool, MAKE SURE you jump out a bit when doing it into a pool/foam pit to avoid hitting your head. After getting the tucking motion down, I took a thin mat into the pit and did them on there. Now that you aren't doing it off of something, jump straight up and tuck. Any soft surface should be ok (e.g. a mattress, some loose mud, or something like that). Make sure you don't panic upside down so if you have to put your hands out and bail you will be able to do so and not land on your head. Aim to land on the balls of your feet, and use your arms to absorb the impact if you didn't get enough air to fully land on your feet. Good luck!

(For doing it standing on the ground, focus on going up and not back as you jump, and for me tucking at the max air helps me get over faster but it is scarier)

*will update with more information later

Pointer
02-12-2016, 02:34 AM
I've been freerunning for a year or so. When I started, I fear everything I am able to do now. My only tip to you is don't let that fear take over you. Since you are on a trampoline, even if you fail, it won't hurt much. When I was learning to do flips, I am doing it on spring beds and it didn't hurt. Just be sure to warm up because blood flow on your head will make you dizzy. You might want to learn a few ways to get out of a Backflip incase something did go wrong.

Search up RonnieStreetStunts and LaFlair Parkour on youtube for tutorials on flips, parkour tricks etc.

SilversoulX
02-12-2016, 04:26 AM
JUST DO IT!

I'm backflip training right now to get ready for the Spring Break Dance.

SilentDogs
02-12-2016, 07:49 PM
To get rid of the fear of actually going over, I did it into a foam pit a couple dozen times just getting used to the motion. You could use swimming pool, MAKE SURE you jump out a bit when doing it into a pool/foam pit to avoid hitting your head. After getting the tucking motion down, I took a thin mat into the pit and did them on there. Now that you aren't doing it off of something, jump straight up and tuck. Any soft surface should be ok (e.g. a mattress, some loose mud, or something like that). Make sure you don't panic upside down so if you have to put your hands out and bail you will be able to do so and not land on your head. Aim to land on the balls of your feet, and use your arms to absorb the impact if you didn't get enough air to fully land on your feet. Good luck!

(For doing it standing on the ground, focus on going up and not back as you jump, and for me tucking at the max air helps me get over faster but it is scarier)

*will update with more information later

Thanks for that information, this helped me out! I think it would be a good idea to get a pile of blankets and pillows and it on my trampoline, that way I could have a very soft landing without hurting myself, it would be a good idea considering the fact that trampolines make you jump high, right?

Coinman32
02-13-2016, 02:49 AM
Thanks for that information, this helped me out! I think it would be a good idea to get a pile of blankets and pillows and it on my trampoline, that way I could have a very soft landing without hurting myself, it would be a good idea considering the fact that trampolines make you jump high, right?

Yes, also when tucking have your feet together but your knees spread apart. If you fail you won't knee yourself in the face and you will rotate quite a bit faster. Keep your eyes open and commit 100% to the flip, trying to stop yourself halfway through will just result in landing on your head which would hurt much more than landing on your stomach/knees.

Linkoftime
02-13-2016, 02:54 AM
You must be like a bunny and curl like your about to be brutally murdered then eaten

SilentDogs
02-13-2016, 03:01 AM
Yes, also when tucking have your feet together but your knees spread apart. If you fail you won't knee yourself in the face and you will rotate quite a bit faster. Keep your eyes open and commit 100% to the flip, trying to stop yourself halfway through will just result in landing on your head which would hurt much more than landing on your stomach/knees.

Oh yes, that happened to me last year when I panicked in mid-air and I landed on my head. The next day I couldn't move my neck..:sweatdrop:

SilversoulX
02-13-2016, 04:59 AM
Lean back and raise both of your legs while in midair with all your might.

Metalwire
02-13-2016, 05:02 AM

Well through my experience with fear. It is only an allusion that tricks your mind into thinking what's to be feared. You must relax and try your best,because no one gets it at the first shots. I may not be their physically but I know that you can do it I believe in you don't let fear distract you from your goal

Josh289
02-13-2016, 05:16 AM
If you ever need knowledge on anything related to fear and anxiety I am the one you should ask. I am going to let you in on a little secret. I have a huge fear of (get ready for it) vomit. Yeah pretty embarrassing right? Over the years I have learned to cope and deal with the situation a whole lot better. I went from crying and panicking to where I am now and when I look in hindsight I am astonished at how far I have come. Anyways while dealing with this scenario I have picked up a couple of helpful information and hints. One being that the fear is worse than the outcome. Stressing over something that you haven't experienced yet is simply a waste of energy. Relaxing and taking deep breaths will most certainly help.

SilentDogs
02-13-2016, 09:21 PM
Well through my experience with fear. It is only an allusion that tricks your mind into thinking what's to be feared. You must relax and try your best,because no one gets it at the first shots. I may not be their physically but I know that you can do it I believe in you don't let fear distract you from your goal

I agree with you. I have a worried side and I just have to defeat it.

- - - Updated - - -

If you ever need knowledge on anything related to fear and anxiety I am the one you should ask. I am going to let you in on a little secret. I have a huge fear of (get ready for it) vomit. Yeah pretty embarrassing right? Over the years I have learned to cope and deal with the situation a whole lot better. I went from crying and panicking to where I am now and when I look in hindsight I am astonished at how far I have come. Anyways while dealing with this scenario I have picked up a couple of helpful information and hints. One being that the fear is worse than the outcome. Stressing over something that you haven't experienced yet is simply a waste of energy. Relaxing and taking deep breaths will most certainly help.

Thanks for telling me this, it helped me feel more confident. Now I'm gonna grab a bunch of pillows and blankets and do a backflip on that - that way I feel more confident.

SilentDogs
02-13-2016, 11:58 PM
So I've been jumping high and falling on my back and doing the backflip and I've landed it. I don't know any better way to explain this but is this technique good?

SilentDogs
02-15-2016, 01:40 AM
I can backdrop, backroll, but I am still afraid of the flip itself. Anytime I attempt a backflip I just land on my back...

Metalwire
02-15-2016, 01:52 AM
I can backdrop, backroll, but I am still afraid of the flip itself. Anytime I attempt a backflip I just land on my back...
It's okay no one gets it at the first shot unless your superman. Anyway just keep calm take deep breath when your'e about to do the flip. Practice makes perfect but dedication makes rewards

SilentDogs
02-15-2016, 02:22 AM
It's okay no one gets it at the first shot unless your superman. Anyway just keep calm take deep breath when your'e about to do the flip. Practice makes perfect but dedication makes rewards

I practice a few hours a day on my trampoline, and this is starting to make me frustrated. However, I won't give up - I believe I can do it eventually.

Metalwire
02-15-2016, 03:27 AM
I practice a few hours a day on my trampoline, and this is starting to make me frustrated. However, I won't give up - I believe I can do it eventually.
Of course you will I believe in you

SilentDogs
02-16-2016, 04:04 AM
So I invited my friend over today, we just hanging out and jumping on my trampoline. My friend never did a backflip before and after 2 minutes of warming up, he just did a backflip. I was like "How...?" :eek:

Georgia
02-16-2016, 04:15 AM
I can't even do a cartwheel. :sweatdrop: