PDA

View Full Version : Can this be reported to the police?



4youu
03-01-2016, 05:34 AM
Recently, i received a phishing email. I'm not gonna go into details about it, but basically i lost $350. I admit it was some negligence on my side, not noticing that it was a phishing email, as it was from the support email of the question above. Basically, can this be reported to the police?

ItsCrimsonSwag
03-01-2016, 05:36 AM
Recently, i received a phishing email. I'm not gonna go into details about it, but basically i lost $350. I admit it was some negligence on my side, not noticing that it was a phishing email, as it was from the support email of the question above. Basically, can this be reported to the police?

Well, no one can really answer this question without any proper information on what happened, but if you believe this should be reported to the police, then go to the police.

4youu
03-01-2016, 05:39 AM
Well, no one can really answer this question without any proper information on what happened, but if you believe this should be reported to the police, then go to the police.

I was selling this one guy who lives in Singapore a powerbank for $19.90, he insisted on paypal, even tho i asked him for a bank transfer. It was early in the morning, around 7+, i couldn't focus really much. I saw an email from paypal on my email, and i clicked on it. Little did i know it was a phishing email.

ItsCrimsonSwag
03-01-2016, 05:42 AM
I was selling this one guy who lives in Singapore a powerbank for $19.90, he insisted on paypal, even tho i asked him for a bank transfer. It was early in the morning, around 7+, i couldn't focus really much. I saw an email from paypal on my email, and i clicked on it. Little did i know it was a phishing email.

The police can't do anything, you're the one at fault here. Your lack of security (Really no other way to explain this) led to this, you clicked the buttons without checking if this email was from paypal or not. (No hate, sorry for your loss. But NEXT time check the email PROPERLY!.)

P.S If it asked for a password and stuff, then generally it isn't from the company itself, but from someone trying to trick you.

PolarisHD
03-01-2016, 11:34 AM
You probably can.

Johncracker
03-01-2016, 11:37 AM
The police would be able to do something about it although there is a high chance that you would not be able to get your $350 back. They might be able to apprehend the person who sent the email maybe? I don't really know...

If you really feel the need to report the incident then go ahead. No harm trying?

4youu
03-01-2016, 12:18 PM
The police would be able to do something about it although there is a high chance that you would not be able to get your $350 back. They might be able to apprehend the person who sent the email maybe? I don't really know...

If you really feel the need to report the incident then go ahead. No harm trying?

Went to the police earlier. They took this case as identity theft fraud. (or whatever they called it). Yup, chances are i will lose my $350, but at least there's still justice, and he won't have any more victims :)

Johncracker
03-01-2016, 12:19 PM
Went to the police earlier. They took this case as identity theft fraud. (or whatever they called it). Yup, chances are i will lose my $350, but at least there's still justice, and he won't have any more victims :)

That's good to know! :)

xlightswitch
03-01-2016, 01:54 PM
The police can't do anything, you're the one at fault here. Your lack of security (Really no other way to explain this) led to this, you clicked the buttons without checking if this email was from paypal or not. (No hate, sorry for your loss. But NEXT time check the email PROPERLY!.)

P.S If it asked for a password and stuff, then generally it isn't from the company itself, but from someone trying to trick you.
Lmao, this isn't Growtopia.

peck
03-01-2016, 05:39 PM
The police will try but they wont be able to do anything.

Spotlight
03-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Phishing E-mails are a form of FRAUD, they can and should be reported to authorities as soon as possible. That being said, they will not be able to recover the money stolen from you.

VincecraftTN
03-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Recently, i received a phishing email. I'm not gonna go into details about it, but basically i lost $350. I admit it was some negligence on my side, not noticing that it was a phishing email, as it was from the support email of the question above. Basically, can this be reported to the police?

You can report anything to the police it just depends on what it is about what happens

fibrahim
03-02-2016, 02:38 AM
Went to the police earlier. They took this case as identity theft fraud. (or whatever they called it). Yup, chances are i will lose my $350, but at least there's still justice, and he won't have any more victims :)

CLEAR YOUR INBOX PLEASE!!!

4youu
03-02-2016, 09:30 AM
CLEAR YOUR INBOX PLEASE!!!

done bro. :p

thierrytaco
03-02-2016, 09:32 AM
hope for the best for u :D
hope justice is served

Updated
03-02-2016, 12:53 PM
Went to the police earlier. They took this case as identity theft fraud. (or whatever they called it). Yup, chances are i will lose my $350, but at least there's still justice, and he won't have any more victims :)

sux to be in my country (i mean the dem police is soooo)

peck
03-02-2016, 02:01 PM
Went to the police earlier. They took this case as identity theft fraud. (or whatever they called it). Yup, chances are i will lose my $350, but at least there's still justice, and he won't have any more victims :)

Theres a 99% chance they will not be able to stop them or find out who they are. That 1% being that its a kid telling everyone to transfer money to his personal paypal as a scam.