PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for a new laptop?

Tohru
03-05-2016, 02:43 AM
I'm getting a laptop in high school; although it is less than a year, I think it is necessary for me to actually look into it beforehand.

I need a computer that:
Can run League of Legends
Can run platforms/animating/coding programs
Premade (I don't want to build it; although I have put together a computer before, it was an old model and this one might be pretty new)
New (perhaps 2014-2016 if possible, if not, minimum is 2010)
Doesn't break over a year or two (otherwise something long-lasting)
Can function with headphones (some laptops aren't able to accept certain headphones and such)

If you don't have a model to suggest me, then please provide me a link for finding durable laptops (if possible). I'd rather take reviews and suggestions from those who own it, but it depends if you are researching for others as well.

Budget does not matter YET, I'll bargain it somehow (I'm a very thorough researcher). I also need to see the cost, please?

Thanks in advance!

Tonsy
03-05-2016, 02:48 AM
I'm getting a laptop in high school; although it is less than a year, I think it is necessary for me to actually look into it beforehand.

I need a computer that:
Can run platforms
Premade (I don't want to build it; although I have put together a computer before, it was an old model and this one might be pretty new)
Can function with headphones (some laptops aren't able to accept certain headphones and such)

If you don't have a model to suggest me, then please provide me a link for finding durable laptops (if possible). I'd rather take reviews and suggestions from those who own it, but it depends if you are researching for others as well.

Thanks in advance!

What is your budget?

Tohru
03-05-2016, 02:51 AM
It doesn't matter much (I'll figure a way to bargain it). I should add up there to list the price though.

Maj3sticturd
03-05-2016, 02:52 AM
Mac airs are alright and if anything goes wrong apple has good service. I don't have much experience with laptops btw

Tonsy
03-05-2016, 02:52 AM
It doesn't matter much (I'll figure a way to bargain it). I should add up there to list the price though.

Do you prefer mac or windows?

Tohru
03-05-2016, 02:57 AM
Windows; I mean a Mac is okay, I suppose. Doesn't really matter.

Spotlight
03-05-2016, 03:00 AM
Do not buy an Apple computer, they are ripoffs for the price.

Tonsy
03-05-2016, 03:01 AM
Windows; I mean a Mac is okay, I suppose. Doesn't really matter.

What about the dell XPS 13? Great laptop. Here's a link: http://www.dell.com/ca/p/xps-13-9350-laptop/pd

Tohru
03-05-2016, 03:02 AM
Okay, I'll check it out tomorrow, gotta go to bed, peace out.

Tonsy
03-05-2016, 03:02 AM
Do not buy an Apple computer, they are ripoffs for the price.

I agree too much. You said it perfectly too. People will generally say "Apple computers suck!" But that's not true either. They just aren't good for the price.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I'll check it out tomorrow, gotta go to bed, peace out.

See ya later. Hope I helped.

Lain
03-05-2016, 03:11 AM

I need a computer that:
Can run platforms/animating/coding programs

Budget does not matter YET, I'll bargain it somehow (I'm a very thorough researcher). I also need to see the cost, please?

Thanks in advance!

Pretty much all mainstream laptops made in recent years have what you need. You want something lightweight and small, or something heavier with more power? You can go to the store, pull any laptop that's over 500 off the shelf and chances are it can do all of those things.

Updated
03-05-2016, 04:36 AM
not a lenovo except if you dont care about your laptop breakin into pieces

Krustler
03-05-2016, 04:37 AM
Macbook Pro !

Tohru
03-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Thanks guys! I'll look into it!

@Updated: Yes, I know someone who owns a Lenovo and it's hard to move it around without breaking it. I was going to order the same model but I realized that it wasn't a good fit.

Tohru
03-06-2016, 01:23 PM
This thread shall rise.

ImNotAmerican
03-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Alienware or Asus ROG.

Or for a tight budget: ACER E5-573G-(any model)

Totally agree with this. It's a gaming laptop, although the price is very high.

Tohru
03-07-2016, 11:33 AM
Okay, thanks!

Tohru
03-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Pretty much this^ laptops are all too competitive to have drastic price : performance differences. Chances are, anything of the shelf will do fine.

Yes, I know that many mainstream laptops perform just fine, but laptops break and malfunction sometimes, getting the blue screen (which is bad) happens sometimes. First, I just want a good deal for a laptop; in other words, a fair price, as well as a correctly working laptop. As I have said before, someone I know has a Leneovo laptop that made it hard to move, making the hard drive a bit hot and such.

But anyways, I appreciate the suggestion. I know mainstream laptops are a bit too pricey but perform well overall, but I just want something that will last long. I have a few friends that have laptops that were released recently, and they were malfunctioning terribly. Although I know what not to buy, I want to see what I can buy.

Tohru
03-08-2016, 01:59 PM
All laptops run hot and you won't get "good deals" on them. The only laptops that truly stand out of the crowd are apple ones, but that's preference. They are all unfortunately similar, none of them have significant perks over another because there is simply no room for it. Don't go too off brand because that's when you get cheap parts and poor reliability, that's where it all goes back to just sticking with mainstream. Just don't go for "gaming laptops". Integrated will work fine for your game and will save you significant money.

Factory shipped windows 10 has a trend of breaking, there's really no avoiding it by picking any particular brand.

Yes, I know. Some games are pretty laggy, like League of Legends. My current family computer can't even download it, and there is plenty of storage left. The gaming laptops are, I guess you could say, a bit overpriced like you said.

Thanks though.