PDA

View Full Version : Rate my grammar and vocabulary.

GummiBear64
03-20-2016, 11:07 AM
I'm in Year 11 and I'm taking the hardest English class possible, because I'm proficiently adept at English.
Now, in this class, we genuinely fixate on ameliorating the words in our lexicon as the teacher is very ebullient about sounding sophisticated and whatnot.
She is very rigorous when it comes to inditing pieces such as essays and if our lexicon isn't up to her prospects or we utilize punctuation incorrectly, we lose an abundance of marks - well, a lot in the sense that it's a lot for a minuscule mistake, conventionally only half a mark per mistake but it all counts.
Anywho, I was wondering what your opinion on my lexicon and grammar is. Don't expect me to always make sentences with sesquipedal words, I just felt like doing it in this particular sentence.
Thanks Ceyx for the conception, I relish constructive reprehension.

In hindsight, I now realised some people may need a thesaurus or something for this thread, my bad, it's genuinely what I'm use to when I indite stuff now thanks to my teacher.

_CM
03-20-2016, 11:09 AM
. . .

GummiBear64
03-20-2016, 11:13 AM
. . .

I don't know how I cope with the English class but I genuinely find it fun learning new words.

FrostxMC =^.^=
03-20-2016, 11:36 AM
Firstly, I'd just like to tell you that this is NOT a rating but just a statement? I guess. Well, I've been lurking the forums although I haven't been posting much however I've noticed something. You've either read the dictionary recently or put the majority of the words that you haven't used at all to good use. You're vocabulary before was a lot more simplistic than it currently is. Right now, it seems that you just want to put in 'big' words together. You should try to reduce it a bit because you shouldn't assume that the reader knows all of the words that you do. It makes you seem like a 'try-hard' I guess. By the way, my intention isn't to insult you at all. It's quite the opposite. Your vocabulary is superb and your grammar has some common mistakes although they shouldn't really be a problem and if you proof-read your work you'd notice them. There's just one thing you're forgetting. The reader. Let's start off with the forums. You should know that the majority of the forumers are either pre-teens or teenagers. They wouldn't have an extended vocabulary such as yours and they would probably stop less than half-way through your writing. The only solution to that is to simplify it just enough so they can understand.

Please remember that this isn't a rating but just stating a thing and giving advice. None of the things above were meant to be taken as an insult so please don't look at it as a form of attack or assault. Thank you.

Jack Bowe
03-20-2016, 11:38 AM
I'm in Year 11 and I'm taking the hardest English class possible, because I'm proficiently adept at English.
Now, in this class, we genuinely fixate on ameliorating the words in our lexicon as the teacher is very ebullient about sounding sophisticated and whatnot.
She is very rigorous when it comes to inditing pieces such as essays and if our lexicon isn't up to her prospects or we utilize punctuation incorrectly, we lose an abundance of marks - well, a lot in the sense that it's a lot for a minuscule mistake, conventionally only half a mark per mistake but it all counts.
Anywho, I was wondering what your opinion on my lexicon and grammar is. Don't expect me to always make sentences with sesquipedal words, I just felt like doing it in this particular sentence.

In hindsight, I now realised some people may need a thesaurus or something for this thread, my bad, it's genuinely what I'm use to when I indite stuff now thanks to my teacher.

Anywho isn't a word, Gummi, and it's "used to," not "use to" in the context in which you used it, other than that you used all of your sophisticated vocabulary correctly, wasn't too loquacious, and used correct grammar the whole way through. Nailed it! I'd give you a solid 8/10.

PS: Replace anywho with anyhow and it's correct.
PPS: Although whatnot is technically a word, it's an informal term, and I wouldn't use that in your essay.

soren
03-20-2016, 11:39 AM
I too feel like you're translating simple words to their alternatives to make yourself sound smart. I don't want to start any beef or anything, homie.
It's just my opinion.

Jack Bowe
03-20-2016, 11:40 AM
Firstly, I'd just like to tell you that this is NOT a rating but just a statement? I guess. Well, I've been lurking the forums although I haven't been posting much however I've noticed something. You've either read the dictionary recently or put the majority of the words that you haven't used at all to good use. You're vocabulary before was a lot more simplistic than it currently is. Right now, it seems that you just want to put in 'big' words together. You should try to reduce it a bit because you shouldn't assume that the reader knows all of the words that you do. It makes you seem like a 'try-hard' I guess. By the way, my intention isn't to insult you at all. It's quite the opposite. Your vocabulary is superb and your grammar has some common mistakes although they shouldn't really be a problem and if you proof-read your work you'd notice them. There's just one thing you're forgetting. The reader. Let's start off with the forums. You should know that the majority of the forumers are either pre-teens or teenagers. They wouldn't have an extended vocabulary such as yours and they would probably stop less than half-way through your writing. The only solution to that is to simplify it just enough so they can understand.

Please remember that this isn't a rating but just stating a thing and giving advice. None of the things above were meant to be taken as an insult so please don't look at it as a form of attack or assault. Thank you.

He's asking for a rating so he can be prepared for his English class, he's not asking for all the teenagers on the forum to try and read it, that's not his concern. People read what they want to read, he's not forcing them to try and understand his paragraph, I don't see an issue. Although, I do seem to automatically dumb down my sentences a bit when on the forums, for the none-native English speakers. :sweatdrop:

I too feel like you're translating simple words to their alternatives to make yourself sound smart. I don't want to start any beef or anything, homie.
It's just my opinion.

That's what you're meant to do in English, to show you have a good knowledge of sophisticated vocabulary and where to apply it correctly.

soren
03-20-2016, 11:42 AM
Anywho isn't a word, Gummi, other than that you used all of your sophisticated vocabulary correctly, wasn't too loquacious, and used correct grammar the whole way through. Nailed it!

I was amazed as well.
I did feel like his expressions were somewhat too stiff though.

- - - Updated - - -

"That's what you're meant to do in English, to show you have a good knowledge of sophisticated vocabulary and where to apply it correctly."

I understand where you're coming at, but like i said before.

ZingGT
03-20-2016, 11:49 AM
I did give it 10/10! Good luck! :)

FrostxMC =^.^=
03-20-2016, 11:50 AM
He's asking for a rating so he can be prepared for his English class, he's not asking for all the teenagers on the forum to try and read it, that's not his concern. People read what they want to read, he's not forcing them to try and understand his paragraph, I don't see an issue. Although, I do seem to automatically dumb down my sentences a bit when on the forums, for the none-native English speakers. :sweatdrop:

That's what you're meant to do in English, to show you have a good knowledge of sophisticated vocabulary and where to apply it correctly.

Ah! I'm so sorry. I kind of just read part of it and when a lot of words that I didn't know were suddenly mixed together I just started speed-reading it. My bad I guess:sweatdrop:. Well, if it's for English class then I guess you'll probably do quite well on it. Just try to tone it down in the forums a little bit. Make sure that what belongs only in English classes remains there because... Oh god. You've intrigued me :cry:. I guess I'll just go on the dictionary soon to find some new words.

One thing to Jack Bowe --> The way you write thing is perfectly normal and I haven't found any faults with the way you say things. Sometimes, some things are over-extended however everything else is perfect. Keep doing what you currently are. I always look forward to your posts. *.*

GummiBear64
03-20-2016, 11:54 AM

Yeah, I won't use big words for the sake of using them. My teacher is strict when it comes to writing pieces, so if we don't use the correct punctuation or good enough words by her standards, we then lose marks. I was asking for your opinion as to whether or not you think my vocabulary would suffice. I always try to tone down my posts when on forums as to give others a chance to comprehend what I'm saying.

It's just my opinion.
That's fine. Your opinion is your opinion, I respect that. I asked for opinions so I can't really tell you that I dislike it, lmao.

Jack understands me, thanks lad

Anywho isn't a word, Gummi, other than that you used all of your sophisticated vocabulary correctly, wasn't too loquacious, and used correct grammar the whole way through. Nailed it! I'd give you a solid 8.5/10.

PPS: Although whatnot is technically a word, it's an informal term, and I wouldn't use that in your essay.
Really? I genuinely always believed anywho was a word. I suppose it's a word that's only used in the vernacular.
Yeah, I always assumed whatnot was a word that I should refrain from using.

- - - Updated - - -

I did give it 9/10

You nearly used all the words correctly except a few, thou if you aren't good in English then it's not a problem! Most of those people who had a weak English too were successful in their lives! Don't worry duh :)

Always remember no one is perfect in everything! That's what makes all of us unique
Cheers! :)

Care to inform me of the words that I didn't use in the correct context? I'm a fluent English speaker so I'm genuinely amazed that some were used incorrectly.

ZingGT
03-20-2016, 12:06 PM
Care to inform me of the words that I didn't use in the correct context? I'm a fluent English speaker so I'm genuinely amazed that some were used incorrectly.

I guess most people don't consider 'anywho' as a proper word....

Extremely sorry if it's wrong :( ! Mind correcting me out? I am just going to reach 7th standard..

Georgia
03-20-2016, 12:11 PM

Extremely sorry if it's wrong :( ! Mind correcting me out? I am just going to reach 7th standard..

I'm pretty sure that anywho is a slang term used for anyhow. I don't really see any point in using it though.

GummiBear64
03-20-2016, 12:14 PM

No, sorry, that's my bad.
You're right, it is a word however it's classified as an informal word, therefore it isn't a word you would use in essays and resumes as such.
It's just, I thought you found more than one word incorrectly used but I must have misread, sorry.

ZingGT
03-20-2016, 12:20 PM
No, sorry, that's my bad.
You're right, it is a word however it's classified as an informal word, therefore it isn't a word you would use in essays and resumes as such.
It's just, I thought you found more than one word incorrectly used but I must have misread, sorry.

Rating increased! :) Sorry, my bad! :(

Hans
03-20-2016, 12:44 PM

"Try-hard"? How cute. Let's not perpetuate this redundant statement until it reaches a certain level of mediocrity for the stereotypical rtsoft peeps.

JOSHIE63
03-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Put together, it looks nice. However, your word choice is so…unnatural. Not so much due to its complexity — I should be versed far from that — but rather it does sound like this was forced. There is a way to modify this prose to make it sound more natural, such as changing the word "lexicon" to a term like vernacular and, if I can, I can offer a few words if you need them.

Also, you try relentlessly for a compound-complex sentence wherein you make simple errors like comma splices and run-ons. I would aim for reasonable balance between simple, complex, compound, and compound-complex.

These are only my harshest critisizms, for no one would ever be this analytical usually. I pray your teacher learns when such discourse is apprpriate.

ianCSzz
03-20-2016, 02:44 PM
Grandiloquence aside, why use "big words" when diminutive terms would suffice? That way, one may involuntarily misinterpret your vocabulary to be rodomontade. Such lexical complexities are nugatory.

Also to rate your grammar : 10/10 "I didn't understand a thing"

Epicbrick
03-20-2016, 02:48 PM
*Your English Teacher somehow finds a way to get on this forum*

Whoooops

NinjaPRO
03-20-2016, 04:06 PM
I barely used 'big words' in Year 11 advanced English and I passed with a 93%, surprisingly.

Gusto
03-20-2016, 04:59 PM
Bby, it's not important how you say it. The most important thing is your message. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Christopher
03-20-2016, 09:20 PM
what I'm use to

I take the easiest English 10 class because I'm dumb as :poop:.

But shouldn't it be "Used to" instead of "Use to"?

- - - Updated - - -

Put together, it looks nice. However, your word choice is so…unnatural..

I agree, I recommend http://www.csgenerator.com to speak more hood rat.

Tonsy
03-20-2016, 10:03 PM

Considering the title isn't capitalized I'm starting to doubt you really took all those classes.

lolgal96
03-20-2016, 10:57 PM
you have a very extensive vocabulary and your grammar is very good.

EQG
03-20-2016, 10:59 PM
The term "adept" means proficient and you stated that you were "proficiently adept in english" in other words you just stated that you are "proficiently proficient in English"

JOSHIE63
03-20-2016, 11:57 PM
The term "adept" means proficient and you stated that you were "proficiently adept in english" in other words you just stated that you are "proficiently proficient in English"
^
That was another problem: the message is lost in translation. It is not so much by the advanced word choice but the terrible redundancy in the stringent word choice. Again, try to juxtapose eloquent delivery in simple sentences with concise points in compound sentences. It honestly improves the quality tenfold. Of course, make it somewhat consistent so that you do not sound like a Harvard professor in one sentence, and a redneck the next.

EQG
03-20-2016, 11:58 PM
^
That was another problem: the message is lost in translation. It is not so much by the advanced word choice but the terrible redundancy in the stringent word choice. Again, try to juxtapose eloquent delivery in simple sentences with concise points in compound sentences. It honestly improves the quality tenfold.

Lmao I just died. You're awesome.

Christopher
03-21-2016, 03:31 AM

Right! I selected the words, defended them cuz I'm on iPad, and adept meant proficient/skilled. I was so confused.

- - - Updated - - -

Considering the title isn't capitalized I'm starting to doubt you really took all those classes.

The title looks capitalized to me :yeah:

Josh289
03-21-2016, 04:16 AM
Your choice of words definitely dont seem to flow naturally. You are putting a bit to much effort into impressing us with your complex vocabulary. Your sentence structure is also inconsistent, one sentence is loaded with elaborate, complex words while the next isn't. There is no such need for making threads that contain words with complexity to this degree. Other than that, you are like a walking thesaurus. Your English teacher has definitely provided you with some very advanced and sophisticated vocabulary.

Mijuki04
03-21-2016, 04:23 AM
I'm impressed. But using deep words will not affect the message itself, the important thing is that you use proper words that will make other people understand you. Overall, I'll give you 10/10. If you insist using the deepest words possible, it's fine with me.

EnderDas
03-21-2016, 04:28 AM

This sounds like my 6th grade information technology class teacher explaining how he wants us to type our paper xD (just without all da big words!! :panic:)
And why say "lexicon" just say Grammer just sayin lexicon sounds like a convention they have every two years over a boat named lexi

8/8 IS TOO GREAT FOR DIS M8 AYYYYYYYYEIGHTLMAO

Simplify_
03-21-2016, 05:36 AM
Do you even math bro?
http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?299155-My-plans-for-the-last-two-weeks-of-holidays&p=2165726#post2165726

Well you're grammar had improved.

BoredSozes
03-21-2016, 06:25 AM
A good way to write a great essay is to master punctuation and use different types of sentences to create an effect you want on the reader.

This is because few people focus on punctuation and being able to use different types of punctuation well will set you apart from the crowd that just uses complex words (often needlessly).

Using punctuation like the em dash or semi-colon well is invaluable. Semi-colons are for joining independent clauses only, so be careful when you use them. Some people in forums have been treating it like an upmarket comma it bothers me soooooooooooo much.

I give above-average rating, because of mistakes like "proficiently adept" (you only needed one of those words).

Krustler
03-21-2016, 06:27 AM
You don't need a lot of hard and confusing words for people to rate you. You can be known as "a great English speaker", but remember not to use 'dictionary':whistling:

Simplify_
03-21-2016, 06:34 AM
A good way to write a great essay is to master punctuation and use different types of sentences to create an effect you want on the reader.

This is because few people focus on punctuation and being able to use different types of punctuation well will set you apart from the crowd that just uses complex words (often needlessly).

Using punctuation like the em dash or semi-colon well is invaluable. Semi-colons are for joining independent clauses only, so be careful when you use them. Some people in forums have been treating it like an upmarket comma it bothers me soooooooooooo much.

A essay .-. I cringe.

BoredSozes
03-21-2016, 06:35 AM
A essay .-. I cringe.

Its not that long, i think thats like 50 words??:confused:

Jack Bowe
03-21-2016, 07:34 AM

Considering you think the whole title needs to be capitalized, and not just the first letter, I'm starting to doubt you know what you're talking about. :whistling:

|ThyLuigi|
03-21-2016, 07:36 AM
Considering you think the whole title needs to be capitalized, and not just the first letter, I'm starting to doubt you know what you're talking about. :whistling:
Titles like A Wrinkle in Time or Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone are capitalized differently.

Maj3sticturd
03-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Your vocabulary is better than other's I know

Garvin Lim
03-21-2016, 10:02 AM
better than mine xD

xlightswitch
03-21-2016, 11:21 AM
Uh... uh... y-you too...

Eximius
03-21-2016, 11:29 AM

You understand your words...but it just sounds forced and placed. Some terms didn't need some words, but hey, I like the fact you can speak much better than most people at your age.

Megazork
03-21-2016, 02:05 PM
I giva yoo a wun outta ten. Yoo nee to serekt the bettah word choisuh, yung man.

Simplify_
03-21-2016, 08:45 PM
Its not that long, i think thats like 50 words??:confused:

No............ It's an essay, not a essay.

Mutch
03-21-2016, 09:02 PM
I like that you try to extend your vocabulary, but if you wish to reach the top, as an english speaking being, you should adjust you language to a level were everyone can understand.
I'm quite shore that not everyone who read this thread understould the entire text.
Think about it next time.:prophet:
Otherwise it was good!

CoryT
03-21-2016, 09:06 PM
https://slowclapabby.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/tumblr_o10gufl9ds1ryezmmo1_500.gif?w=800

. . .

Im sorry... XD

XHydraLegendX
03-21-2016, 09:08 PM

I'm in Year 9, And I'm just like you. :sweatdrop:

Lain
03-22-2016, 12:41 AM

>proficiently proficient

BoredSozes
03-22-2016, 01:02 AM
No............ It's an essay, not a essay.

I wrote "a great essay" not "a essay", so its a not an.

Yup, i just checked your quote it's "a great essay" not "a essay". Don't correct if you don't know. ._.

Quote for reference:

PrinceJaron
03-22-2016, 01:37 AM
Your grammar is almost fluent, and your vocabulary is wide. I honestly find this newfangled because it's only now that I finally met someone whose vocabulary I can consider as wide as mine.

To the one who pointed out that the word whatnot is an informal term, I've read the word from a fictional book so I don't think it is informal. I've been customarily using the word whatnot ever since.

i don't know if you have logolepsy (I do) but as aforementioned, your vocabulary is wide compared to others. However, I find some parts of your thread redundant and idle. I suggest that when writing a literary piece, you must peruse it repeatedly until you are utterly satisfied with your work.

Masqueraded
03-22-2016, 01:43 AM
Your grammar is almost fluent, and your vocabulary is wide. I honestly find this newfangled because it's only now that I finally met someone whose vocabulary I can consider as wide as mine.

To the one who pointed out that the word whatnot is an informal term, I've read the word from a fictional book so I don't think it is informal. I've been customarily using the word whatnot ever since.

i don't know if you have logolepsy (I do) but as aforementioned, your vocabulary is wide compared to others. However, I find some parts of your thread redundant and idle. I suggest that when writing a literary piece, you must peruse it repeatedly until you are utterly satisfied with your work.

The word "whatnot" is most frequently used in an informal context and is hard to change the denotation in its context; though, there are few cases wherein informal expressions can be accepted such as in the intricacy of dialogue, but prose, which the class most likely demands, is not one of those situations.

TheRealThatGuy
03-22-2016, 01:47 AM

Sorry, I don't speak watermelon.

PrinceJaron
03-22-2016, 01:50 AM
The word "whatnot" is most frequently used in an informal context and is hard to change the denotation in its context; though, there are few cases wherein informal expressions can be accepted such as in the intricacy of dialogue, but prose, which the class most likely demands, is not one of those situations.

I don't see the point as to why the word "whatnot" is informal. I've been using it when I write stories and even in some essays I write for my English class. My teacher never pointed out that the word "whatnot" is informal and must not be used when writing a prose.

BoredSozes
03-22-2016, 02:22 AM
I don't see the point as to why the word "whatnot" is informal. I've been using it when I write stories and even in some essays I write for my English class. My teacher never pointed out that the word "whatnot" is informal and must not be used when writing a prose.

The word "whatnot" is informal and too colloquial (except for narrative essays). Your teacher probably did not point it out because narrative essay dialogues are more informal.

PrinceJaron
03-22-2016, 03:10 AM
The word "whatnot" is informal and too colloquial (except for narrative essays). Your teacher probably did not point it out because narrative essay dialogues are more informal.

The word "whatnot" is barely even used by people who do not indulge in words. It is not colloquial. I'm asking why it is considered informal.

I have never mentioned that the essays I wrote for English class are narrative essays. I've written a lot of them, all of different types.