PDA

View Full Version : About people calling newer forumers using the term "mini-mod"... (My opinion)

ElectroDream
03-22-2016, 11:39 AM
"A dream is just a dream. A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline." -Harvey Mackay

So lately, I've been seeing some forumers (and a part of them are already banned) being rude to each other. But why...?

Some of these "people" have been saying rude stuff to the new forumers. The most I've been seeing lately is the term "mini-mod". Why do you have to do that, to anyone who has been doing this? (You know yourselves) Does it make you feel better? Oh yes, it does. It IS satisfying trying to counter an argument and have the opponent lose, I totally get it. Do you know, that you, the senior/older forumers are the ones that determine what will happen to this forum in the future? If you leave rude remarks to the new forumers, who's going to come? If he/she decides to stay, however, he/she may turn out to be rude. Any word that you threw at the new forumers effect their response to the whole forum community. If we greet them rudely in the beginning, there's always a slight chance of them being rude back. That causes drama, and the mods (and devs) don't really appreciate drama around. So please, just stop calling others mini-mods. Let them at least TRY to achieve their desired title. I personally don't see anything wrong in trying to achieve a goal, and at least they're going to be kind to one another.

I know, someone is going to ask something like "What if this "mini-mod" goes overboard? Shouldn't we like-- stop them?". Of course, everything has a limit. You can stop people, but they might not stop, and you can't really change anyone. However, say it in a proper manner. Don't go like "NOOB MINIMOD YOU ARENT GETTING THAT PURPLE NAME JUST GET OUT FROM THE FORUM", that's just going to make things worse. Just call him/her (preferably in a PM, you know, singling is not allowed) and simply tell them that they're going overboard with the whole mini-modding situation. Say it nicely.

I am so done with all of these "lol mini mod :ninja: :panic: :excl:" thing, and all of that above which I just typed probably won't make any sense, but I hope that the message gets through. Let's all be kind to one another, and be a peaceful community. :D

PS: I know, some of you are going to disagree with me. Feel free to express them in this thread. Be civil, or I won't be bothered to start a debate with you. Thanks.

CodeSky
03-22-2016, 11:45 AM
You are one of my favourite forumers Electro. Nowadays it's like impossible to make guides or helpful posts without getting called "minimod" that sucks , when I first joined I thought that there are more mature people here. But sadly I have to say that almost everybody I see is like a kid.

Super duper good post.

TheTrain
03-22-2016, 11:47 AM
I used to be a minimod :O(Maybe i still am!) Direct people to links explaining terms and how to start forums O.o

ElectroDream
03-22-2016, 11:49 AM
I used to be a minimod :O(Maybe i still am!) Direct people to links explaining terms and how to start forums O.o

Helping people is still better than being rude to others, so just keep doing that and shoo all of those haters.

Ceyx_GrowT
03-22-2016, 12:04 PM
I actually dislike those who calls new forumers as "mini-mod". They're no any better than those who called "mini-mod", and yet even worse. Especially for that guy who uses prophet emoticon (:prophet:) most of the time.

Prolly
03-22-2016, 12:09 PM
I don't mind them mini-mods unless they're scammers, hackers, or whatever bad people.

I love bashing hackers.

Jadeyliee.
03-22-2016, 12:09 PM
"A dream is just a dream. A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline." -Harvey Mackay

So lately, I've been seeing some forumers (and a part of them are already banned) being rude to each other. But why...?

Some of these "people" have been saying rude stuff to the new forumers. The most I've been seeing lately is the term "mini-mod". Why do you have to do that, to anyone who has been doing this? (You know yourselves) Does it make you feel better? Oh yes, it does. It IS satisfying trying to counter an argument and have the opponent lose, I totally get it. Do you know, that you, the senior/older forumers are the ones that determine what will happen to this forum in the future? If you leave rude remarks to the new forumers, who's going to come? If he/she decides to stay, however, he/she may turn out to be rude. Any word that you threw at the new forumers effect their response to the whole forum community. If we greet them rudely in the beginning, there's always a slight chance of them being rude back. That causes drama, and the mods (and devs) don't really appreciate drama around. So please, just stop calling others mini-mods. Let them at least TRY to achieve their desired title. I personally don't see anything wrong in trying to achieve a goal, and at least they're going to be kind to one another.

I know, someone is going to ask something like "What if this "mini-mod" goes overboard? Shouldn't we like-- stop them?". Of course, everything has a limit. You can stop people, but they might not stop, and you can't really change anyone. However, say it in a proper manner. Don't go like "NOOB MINIMOD YOU ARENT GETTING THAT PURPLE NAME JUST GET OUT FROM THE FORUM", that's just going to make things worse. Just call him/her (preferably in a PM, you know, singling is not allowed) and simply tell them that they're going overboard with the whole mini-modding situation. Say it nicely.

I am so done with all of these "lol mini mod :ninja: :panic: :excl:" thing, and all of that above which I just typed probably won't make any sense, but I hope that the message gets through. Let's all be kind to one another, and be a peaceful community. :D

PS: I know, some of you are going to disagree with me. Feel free to express them in this thread. Be civil, or I won't be bothered to start a debate with you. Thanks.

Very well said Electro. To the people going around calling people minimods:" Why do you say that? What do you gain out of it? 99.9999% of people who call other people mini mods wanna be a mod too! People might just be trying to help or be nice, don't ruin their day and telling them they are a mini mod."

ambiguster
03-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Well, most forumers are just pessimist.

They always think the bad sides of what New-forumers say...

I actually dislike those who calls new forumers as "mini-mod". They're no any better than those who called "mini-mod", and yet even worse. Especially for that guy who uses prophet emoticon (:prophet:) most of the time.

The Old guy Emo doesn't always means the Emo inside a Mini-mods Criticism duh.

I mean 'say like

Your gonna have a Bad time :prophet:

It fits right? :rolleyes:

ZeroRarity
03-22-2016, 12:13 PM
The mini-mod insults did come back all of a sudden here on the forum. It's just a sad sight to see, but what's sadder is that little to no people actually stand up for the new forumers. Isn't it annoying how the rude people are more vocal than the good people?

I'm glad to see you voicing out your thoughts, dreamy, and sure others have the same thoughts as well. Well said.

Ceyx_GrowT
03-22-2016, 12:19 PM
The Old guy Emo doesn't always means the Emo inside a Mini-mods Criticism duh.
I was reffering to one person.

BenBarrage
03-22-2016, 12:20 PM
This is mini-modding right here. JK

Jormundur
03-22-2016, 12:21 PM

Pointing fingers at Terobero?

Indicative
03-23-2016, 12:37 PM
I started as a mini-mod, I guess.

Trolled
03-23-2016, 01:03 PM
You are one of my favourite forumers Electro. Nowadays it's like impossible to make guides or helpful posts without getting called "minimod" that sucks , when I first joined I thought that there are more mature people here. But sadly I have to say that almost everybody I see is like a kid.

Super duper good post.

Sorry to be a kid.
When some people desire the position of a moderator, people starts inventing new terms such as mini-mod.
And in many gameplay, like here where mini-mod term are used very frequently.
Most people here are just trying to warn anyone to stop trying to aim as a mod here, trying to be helpful when we already knew the information.
Even if we try to shut the people about mini-modding, those mini-mods will nevertheless rise and grow more and more ambitious.
Until we can put a end to it.
But yeah, I can't identify whether someone is trying to be mini-mod or just trying to be helpful.
It's best to establish good reputation among any community and be trusted or whatsoever.

Garvin Lim
03-23-2016, 01:08 PM
Im one of the people that calling new forumer mini mods but i didn't say any rude word to them. Did i do sometging wrong?
I just feel that they are really annoying if you search how to evoid scam or whatever.
There will be ton of result that was made by new forumer

ElectroDream
03-23-2016, 01:10 PM
Im one of the people that calling new forumer mini mods but i didn't say any rude word to them. Did i do sometging wrong?

Calling someone mini-mod even if he or she is really one, for me, it's sort of an insult. I'd like it more if you just PM them instead of publicly shame them...

Garvin Lim
03-23-2016, 01:11 PM
Calling someone mini-mod even if he or she is really one, for me, it's sort of an insult. I'd like it more if you just PM them instead of publicly shame them...

I think i should just pm them from now:crazy:

Magicalfishy
03-23-2016, 02:06 PM
Kudos to the people who actually take a kind approach. But I have absolutely zero respect for the fools who bash others.

Ceyx_GrowT
03-23-2016, 02:09 PM
I started as a mini-mod, I guess.
Wel all did, I guess. But the difference are, that some changed, some didn't.

TrishaxKris
03-23-2016, 02:09 PM
I've been noticing that helping someone is called mini-modding now.

GEN
03-23-2016, 02:11 PM
i feel the guilt
:(
once or twice i call someone a mini-mod

Metalwire
03-23-2016, 02:12 PM
The mini mod term has been around ever since the forums was a place for Growotpians to talk civilly. Accusing someone with such a word really shows the level of maturity the person possesses. I don't think it should be tolerated within the forums,but everyone should know that although we may have different opinions, and/or try to help each other people out. We shouldn't be calling out because not only does it make the accuser look bad,but the example we set in the forums as well.

Krustler
03-23-2016, 02:16 PM
I agree. Those people are still new, they might be new to Growtopia too. So if they make a thread that is like "How to prevent scams", they don't know that it is a spam. Many people call new forumers a mini-mod just because of a simple argument, "MINI MOD". And I am pretty sure, none of you guys had never made any mistakes. Everyone had mistakes, and so do the new people in forums. So, I hope I don't see more like Mini-Mod cause it bothers.

P.S. : New forumers : if ppl say that ur thread is spam and ur minimod, tell them that the minimod word is inappropriate and also considered as the "THREAD SPAM"...

Playerdereclaim
03-23-2016, 02:41 PM

Never have heard that before... Is it a growtopia thing?

MyLegGuy
03-23-2016, 03:26 PM
Somebody who cares should just send a PM directly to TEROBERO. If you search "minimod," you'll find him in just about every thread calling OP a minimod.

Masqueraded
03-23-2016, 07:32 PM
I cringed into a prune reading this and the support. If anyone knew the definition of a mini-mod, it would nullify this whole post.

abt79
03-23-2016, 07:35 PM
If someone's making poor attempts asking for people to help and/or asking to be mod just for the sake of fame or a custom item, criticizing them to that end isn't rude.:rolleyes:

I'mSuperCereal
03-23-2016, 07:38 PM
I cringed into a prune reading this and the support. If anyone knew the definition of a mini-mod, it would nullify this whole post.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Minimod

*cough cough* :whistling:

D0sh
03-23-2016, 07:39 PM
Well said.
You are great Electro!;)

Masqueraded
03-23-2016, 07:47 PM
Minimods, everywhere :prophet:

And then there is this. There is a difference between "stop being a mini-mod" and shouting "MINIMOD KILL URSLF!" Mini-mods are nuisances; they are not cancerous and should not be treated as such.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Minimod

*cough cough* :whistling:

You refined and substantiated my point…thanks?

REGISORD
03-23-2016, 08:15 PM
Dun keel me
I minimod on the TF2 forums, but only because it's desperately needed. Heck, the actual mods are rarely online.

Mutch
03-23-2016, 08:26 PM
I think the term "Mini-Mod" is used by people who are frightened! Frightened that someone will replace them.
I concider the term "Mini-Mod" as something "good". If a new forumer tries to help, that can't be something negative!?
Then it's up to the Developers and Moderators to choose a perfect fit. I mean, new forumer have the smallest chance of becoming moderators.
So you guys, who has been trying so hard, to stand out, don't worry, you'll have the spotlight for a little while longer!:hat:

abt79
03-23-2016, 08:36 PM
I think the term "Mini-Mod" is used by people who are frightened! Frightened that someone will replace them.
I concider the term "Mini-Mod" as something "good". If a new forumer tries to help, that can't be something negative!?
Then it's up to the Developers and Moderators to choose a perfect fit. I mean, new forumer have the smallest chance of becoming moderators.
So you guys, who has been trying so hard, to stand out, don't worry, you'll have the spotlight for a little while longer!:hat:

They're a shallow cancer that helps only slightly to suck up to the real mods

"wrong subforum" "if any1 ned help ask me"

Players like Indicative aren't minimods, they're legitimately helpful

SilentDogs
03-23-2016, 08:39 PM
I'm very disappointed to see new forumers getting bullied, it's like no one is giving them time to learn and gain more experience. And as a forum community, our job is to give newer forumers a good example of how great of a community we are. Sadly, most of us don't set good examples, but I believe that will change one day..

Tohru
03-23-2016, 08:40 PM
IMO, mini-mods are at least trying to help while some people are bashing that person. Bashing won't help or give any benefit to you nor the other person. They should be told kindly in a civil manner instead of saying, "HA, MINIMOD N00B!". It's obvious that you should at least be respectful. Where has your childhood lessons gone?

Well, it's honestly because people are either immature or...I dunno. But immaturity is the only thing I can think of. As we get older, we realize mistakes and understand a bit more on what we should say or do. It's important to be kind to others, because if not, it may be your downfall in the "real world". I'm not trying to scare people about it, but just saying that to let you know there are all kinds of people out there.

But mini-mod isn't one of them. They're genuinely trying to help, and if they're just seeking for power, then tell them so and try to be blunt (but to a certain degree) with it. Sometimes people have to hear the truth to learn it. However, calling other people mini-mod bluntly is a different story. It hurts other people, and it won't help that person stop being a mini-mod.

**Just saying, have not read the whole thread yet so pls no bash. kthxbai**

mrthadawee
03-23-2016, 08:52 PM
This ain't nothin' personal, but I'm gonna just tell the truth right here...

The term 'mini-mod' is NOT coined by Growtopia, it's a general internet term to describe someone who loves power or otherwise acts like a mod in an annoying, unproductive manner, they tend to want to be mods themselves (see 'mod wanabes') and feel that it is their godsent duty to govern how other people think or post...

The term mini mod is NOT a good thing to call yourself (or other people really), it is meant as an insult and you cannot 'reappropriate' a phrase like that... (it's just a stupid concept to change a phrase's meaning because it hurts someone's feelings), older/more seasoned internet users will always know the term 'mini mod' as a negative thing.

Definitions aside, I want to talk about how new forumers as a general collective group work... They lurk for a small while, post a few posts and try to settle in the community one way or another, as a new forumer (and usually that means a new player too), it is in their best intrests to LEARN from others and get advice, hence why lurking is advised and why it is discouraged to jump straight into the deep end and post without knowing the basic forum rules and before at least getting a gist of what the forums are about... At least that way useless threads are posted a lot less frequently.
Then you get those who come here with an intention beforehand...
Everyone has a reason to come to the forums for the first time, most of the time this is because people are curious or want to get involved with the community or want to get news or advice, these are all good and valid reasons... But going onto the forums for the sole intention of becoming a moderator or 'mini modding' is folly and rather disrespectful to the community who are already here.
Yes, people are allowed to help, infact I personally encourage helpfullness... But it gets to a point where someone with little to no experience "tries" to help - just to be a mod, mind you - when infact they are spamming, annoying, spreading misinformation and rumours and sometimes even breaking minor rules... All because they're minimodding.
Yes there are people who help for good intentions and have no hidden agendas and are mature, friendly, kind, honest, experienced and above all else, GENUINE and ACTUALLY HELPFUL... But more often than not those people have already been a part of this community for a while and haved used/lurked the forums for a while and know how things work.
This seldom applies to kids who aren't even supposed to be here (the COPPA act requires parental confirmation for anyone under the age of 13 to join a vBulletin forum and thus, kids tend not to make accounts, although it isn't against the game/forum rules as such), and while there are execptions to this, the general rule is people who are immature tend to lack the understanding that acting like a typical 'minimod' as some call it, does not help at all...

So in short, a minimod is NOT helpful, someone who IS helpful doesn't need a magic title/jester insult to validate their behaviour as they are doing nothing wrong.

Now as for the total busybodies out there who use the term 'minimod' out of context or worst of all, in spite...

There is NO REASON whatsoever to gang up and post flak to anyone for any justification you may come up with. Infact the forums would be a much nicer place with higher quality content in threads if people learn self control and just IGNORE THREADS NOT WORTH POSTING IN.
Personally I am a fan of constructive criticism, I believe if it's done right it CAN help someone get better as it's no nonsense "here is what is wrong, here is how you can improve". But what really grinds my gears is if I see the same god danged thread up for days only because people are bumping it by posting one sentenced snipes at eachother... Arguments and debates can be healthy for a forum. But flamewars and petty hate filled squabbles are not... I want this message to spread far and wide over the forums, you will do this if you want to help make these forums great again...

"If you see a thread you don't like, ignore it. Do NOT give it more attention by posting unconstructive jeers",

If people could stop and think more about what they post and only post if their contribution is entierly necessery or constructive to the conversation, then these forums would be much nicer.

TL;DR, Stop responding to bad threads everyone

I'mSuperCereal
03-23-2016, 09:10 PM
And then there is this. There is a difference between "stop being a mini-mod" and shouting "MINIMOD KILL URSLF!" Mini-mods are nuisances; they are not cancerous and should not be treated as such.

You refined and substantiated my point…thanks?

That was my intention lol. I think people are stupid for trying to shame people for properly using the term "mini-mod" but whatever.

ElectroDream
03-23-2016, 09:30 PM
The term 'mini-mod' is NOT coined by Growtopia, it's a general internet term to describe someone who loves power or otherwise acts like a mod in an annoying, unproductive manner, they tend to want to be mods themselves (see 'mod wanabes') and feel that it is their godsent duty to govern how other people think or post...

That's why I put this thread in the tavern instead... Could've put it in Growtopia but mini-mods exist in almost every single forum/game forum.

I'm surprised how much this thread has turned to just when I went to sleep. :sweatdrop:

SilversoulX
03-23-2016, 10:19 PM
I was called a minimod in my first thread as SilversoulX (I had another account before this).

Pookpunzle
03-23-2016, 10:33 PM
I realized what it means to really be new and not know anything about what I'm getting myself into.. When i read your words "your not getting that purple name"!! I know that you weren't saying that as yourself, but rather quoting someone who you saw saying it to be rude.. But the part that got me:
i don't have any idea what a purple name is!!
its really awesome though that your trying to get people to be nice to those of us who are just starting out and have no idea which end is up. I've been trying to figure it out lol. the forums have been a really really great place to gain knowledge, get answers, strategize, gather opinions, ect ect ect...
i have YET to have someone be mean to me.. And I am truly thankful for that. Hmm... Is that because I'm really new too?? I hope not!! Now I'm worried lol!

Masqueraded
03-23-2016, 10:44 PM
Minimods give me cancer. :prophet:

Oh, wow. The neighborhood badass compared a misguided forumer to cancer. Veraciously, nobody actually cares about a single paradigm; in the end, you are the one butthurt over nothing.

That was my intention lol. I think people are stupid for trying to shame people for properly using the term "mini-mod" but whatever.

Oh, thanks. I am so used to people trying to repudiate and invalidate every point I make.

After all, the connotation of a word is only what one contrives its potency out to be.

lolgal96
03-23-2016, 11:33 PM
i have been called a minimod just for being HELPFUL. like, i'm trying to help out a new player so i'm automatically a minimod? i mean, you can usually pick out which people want to be mods and which people are just trying to be helpful, but still, it's wrong to call people out on that.

Lain
03-24-2016, 02:18 AM
If they're actually a minimod, I don't really think it's wrong to call them out on it. don't want some guy going around telling people what to do and thinking that they have authority or something.
If they're not actually being a minimod and you call them out on it, then that's wrong and you're an idiot.