PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a PC! :D

Magicalfishy
03-23-2016, 03:18 PM
Alright, so right off the bat I want to tell you guys that I have absolutely zero experience with buildings PCs... I've never built one in my life, nor have I seen one built before. If you guys are smart with computers, or have actually built one or a few before I'm looking for your help.

Budget:
I definitely want to spend around $500-$800 but I'm open to higher prices. I just won't go higher than $1,200. It really depends on if the build can meet all of my requirements.
I'd like for it to be as cheap as humanly possible, yet still run extremely well.

Here are my requirements:

It must have a cool case. This one particuarly peeked my interest: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/bitfenix-case-bfcpro300ooxkorp
Must NEVER run below 60 FPS. I'd love to have the highest FPS without going overboard with the price.
It must be able to run multiple heavy programs like video editors, photoshop, etc at the same time.
I use fraps to record, and I want to sustain 60+ FPS while recording.
I have great internet and I want to make use of that.
I would like to have zero lag on voice call programs like skype, discord, etc while recording, playing games, and running heavy programs.
I currently have two monitors, and I will eventually get 3. It definitely needs to be able to have at least 2-3 HDMI cables running from it, and if 3 is too much then I'd like to use a USB or a DVI.
I have really nice speakers, and I'd like to be able to plug them in without their cables getting in the way.
I'll probably be doing some occasional twitch streams in the future. I definitely don't want any lag on there.
MUST be able to run next gen games. Like I said before, I will not accept something that will run anything below 60 FPS.
IT CANNOT BE LOUD! I cannot stand loud computers. It definitely needs to be extremely quiet if not silent.

Alright, and to summarize this I would like you to be on the same page as me. I will be recording videos (sometimes being on a voice call while doing so), editing videos, streaming, using photoshop, gaming, listening to music, etc.

SwafGaming
03-23-2016, 03:48 PM
why not just buy a pc?

Magicalfishy
03-23-2016, 03:48 PM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/D4mJvK

Might not meet your "60FPS" thing. I use Windows 10 Game DVR to record. Does it seamlessly with no drop in fps.

Do you know if you could make a few upgrades to meet my standards?

why not just buy a pc?

I already have one, and pre-made gaming PC's are super over-priced and don't even have the features I want.

Spotlight
03-23-2016, 04:09 PM
For that budget, get a recent i5 and dump most of your money in a graphics card.

Magicalfishy
03-23-2016, 04:16 PM
For that budget, get a recent i5 and dump most of your money in a graphics card.

Can you make a general idea build for me? And what do you have?

Spotlight
03-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Can you make a general idea build for me? And what do you have?

Oh, the only tower I own is a crappy old Gateway from a decade ago. I don't have a PC, I just know a little bit about them. I suppose I could try to make a build for you, but don't take it as gospel.

peck
03-23-2016, 04:55 PM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/D4mJvK

Might not meet your "60FPS" thing. I use Windows 10 Game DVR to record. Does it seamlessly with no drop in fps.

You do realize that the ssd gets outperformed by the hdd and there is no reason to have it? Cheap SSD's are to fool people as yourself into thinking it's fast only because it's an ssd. Kingston, samsung, or intel.

He said he wants use of his good internet, the WiFi card is a stepback.

He's also looking for a strong pc, there is no reason to spend the extra cash to make everything mini.

Even if the parts were strong enough, that psu is only safe handling up to 300w before faster degrading.

I don't think it meets any of the requirements but thanks for the share.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B63n3C
$900 with durable parts. Strong gpu and mid tier cpu. If you want multiple monitors buy a $10 hdmi switcher from the store. Just remember that the more monitors, the more stress on your gpu. But it's a strong one so 2 or 3 will work if you don't plan on displaying a game between them all.

Spotlight
03-23-2016, 05:01 PM
You do realize that the ssd gets outperformed by the hdd and there is no reason to have it? Cheap SSD's are to fool people as yourself into thinking it's fast only because it's an ssd. Kingston, samsung, or intel.

He's also looking for a strong pc, there is no reason to spend the extra cash to make everything mini.

Even if the parts were strong enough, that psu is only safe handling up to 300w before faster degrading.

$900 with durable parts. Strong gpu and mid tier cpu. If you want multiple monitors buy a $10 hdmi switcher from the store. Just remember that the more monitors, the more stress on your gpu. But it's a strong one so 2 or 3 will work if you don't plan on displaying a game between them all.
Haha dang, I was gonna suggest the 6600k and either a R9 390 or a GTX 970.

peck
03-23-2016, 05:02 PM
Haha dang, I was gonna suggest the 6600k and either a R9 390 or a GTX 970.

I wouldn't recommend the 970 anymore just because it's 2016 and it's still 3.5gb... AMD has a good market on gpu's

Magicalfishy
03-23-2016, 05:20 PM

The case doesn't look to bad, but would it work with this one (https://pcpartpicker.com/part/bitfenix-case-bfcpro300ooxkorp) or are there any other cases that look nicer?

And I'll probably never be running more than one game at a time so I think I would be okay. However, I do tend to run a game, photoshop, and camtasia at the same time.

Finally, which one of these would you recommend (http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hdmi+switch+hub&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=81414807530&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8774833575539714112&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2qvdfwnu9l_b_p11)?

Spotlight
03-23-2016, 05:55 PM
Intel i7 CPU
8 GB RAM
Videocard
1 TB Hard drive
Motherboard that supports Intel i7 and the RAM frequency
Liquid cooler
Power suply
No reason for an i7.

EnderDas
03-23-2016, 07:11 PM
Alright, so right off the bat I want to tell you guys that I have absolutely zero experience with buildings PCs... I've never built one in my life, nor have I seen one built before. If you guys are smart with computers, or have actually built one or a few before I'm looking for your help.

Budget:
I definitely want to spend around $500-$800 but I'm open to higher prices. I just won't go higher than $1,200. It really depends on if the build can meet all of my requirements.
I'd like for it to be as cheap as humanly possible, yet still run extremely well.

It must have a cool case. This one particuarly peeked my interest: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/bitfenix-case-bfcpro300ooxkorp
Must NEVER run below 60 FPS. I'd love to have the highest FPS without going overboard with the price.
It must be able to run multiple heavy programs like video editors, photoshop, etc at the same time.
I would like to have zero lag on voice call programs like skype, discord, etc while recording, playing games, and running heavy programs.
I currently have two monitors, and I will eventually get 3. It definitely needs to be able to have at least 2-3 HDMI cables running from it, and if 3 is too much then I'd like to use a USB or a DVI.
I have really nice speakers, and I'd like to be able to plug them in without their cables getting in the way.
I'll probably be doing some occasional twitch streams in the future. I definitely don't want any lag on there.
MUST be able to run next gen games. Like I said before, I will not accept something that will run anything below 60 FPS.
IT CANNOT BE LOUD! I cannot stand loud computers. It definitely needs to be extremely quiet if not silent.

Alright, and to summarize this I would like you to be on the same page as me. I will be recording videos (sometimes being on a voice call while doing so), editing videos, streaming, using Photoshop, gaming, listening to music, etc.

your gonna need a good graphics card (probably nvidia) 16GB RAM and also the the sound isnt really all that of a problem scence that is dependent on your fan, hard-drive, disk reader, and your mouse and keyboard also if your streaming games you should be using head phones anyways and the tower shouldn't be right next to the mic.... :panic::D:p
also dont try and make the tower extremely small (will need a better fan and will heat up faster)
and in my opinion just use Ethernet instead of WIFI

- - - Updated - - -

Intel i7 CPU
8 GB RAM
Videocard
1 TB Hard drive
Motherboard that supports Intel i7 and the RAM frequency
Liquid cooler
Power suply

you know there's different versions of i7 right?

best and newest one out there is the core i7 6970HQ which can go up to $623 alone

Magicalfishy
03-23-2016, 07:33 PM
your gonna need a good graphics card (probably nvidia) 16GB RAM and also the the sound isnt really all that of a problem scence that is dependent on your fan, hard-drive, disk reader, and your mouse and keyboard also if your streaming games you should be using head phones anyways and the tower shouldn't be right next to the mic.... :panic::D:p
also dont try and make the tower extremely small (will need a better fan and will heat up faster)
and in my opinion just use Ethernet instead of WIFI

I currently am using Ethernet. (:

And the reason for a smaller case is so I could easily move it if I had too.

EnderDas
03-23-2016, 07:44 PM
I currently am using Ethernet. (:

And the reason for a smaller case is so I could easily move it if I had too.

first you shouldn't be moving a computer tower with a hard drive that the stupidest thing you can do that why you would buy a laptop
computer towers are for staying in one place (this is the same reason you should never move around a Xbox or gaming console they have fragile components ESPECIALLY THE HARD DRIVE) if you want something you can move around i suggest to not get a alienware Gaming laptop get a bulky ASUS laptop they run nice some have good graphics cards and there not easy to break...

- - - Updated - - -

first you shouldn't be moving a computer tower with a hard drive that the stupidest thing you can do that why you would buy a laptop
computer towers are for staying in one place (this is the same reason you should never move around a Xbox or gaming console they have fragile components ESPECIALLY THE HARD DRIVE) if you want something you can move around i suggest to not get a alienware Gaming laptop get a bulky ASUS laptop they run nice some have good graphics cards and there not easy to break...

PS... the only time you should be moving it is if your moving to a new place, changing a room, or something else were you MUST move it

Tohru
03-23-2016, 08:22 PM
I think there's a website called New Egg or something (will check my sources). You can build your own computer to your own customizations, with prices and everything. You need a motherboard, hard drive, monitor, screen, etc.

www.newegg.com

peck
03-23-2016, 09:45 PM
The case doesn't look to bad, but would it work with this one (https://pcpartpicker.com/part/bitfenix-case-bfcpro300ooxkorp) or are there any other cases that look nicer?

And I'll probably never be running more than one game at a time so I think I would be okay. However, I do tend to run a game, photoshop, and camtasia at the same time.

Finally, which one of these would you recommend (http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hdmi+switch+hub&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=81414807530&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8774833575539714112&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2qvdfwnu9l_b_p11)?

That case is mini itx, so it wouldn't fit the motherboard I listed. You can Google "mid tower cases" and see if any of them look cool to you (look to make sure it's ATX form). People like mini because they can carry it with one hand, but cases are lighter than people expect and it's always safest to hold with two hands on opposite corners.

As for the splitter/switcher I would recommend any $10 that simply supports the amount of monitors you want. It's silly to go over $20 on a simple device.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

PS... the only time you should be moving it is if your moving to a new place, changing a room, or something else were you MUST move it
"The only time you should move it is when you have to move it" well duh.

Computer parts aren't as fragile as you think. The only thing people have to worry about are hard drives, as long as you don't drop your pc you're fine.

Magicalfishy
03-24-2016, 01:30 AM
That case is mini itx, so it wouldn't fit the motherboard I listed. You can Google "mid tower cases" and see if any of them look cool to you (look to make sure it's ATX form). People like mini because they can carry it with one hand, but cases are lighter than people expect and it's always safest to hold with two hands on opposite corners.

As for the splitter/switcher I would recommend any $10 that simply supports the amount of monitors you want. It's silly to go over $20 on a simple device.

Alrighty. And yeah, I just want to make sure I don't get something that's extremely cheap and will cause extra delay time.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I actually happen to move around my house a lot. I was also hoping to be able to bring it to other homes like my neighbor's and my grandma's house.

Tonsy
03-24-2016, 01:55 AM

Budget:

Alright, and to summarize this I would like you to be on the same page as me. I will be recording videos (sometimes being on a voice call while doing so), editing videos, streaming, using photoshop, gaming, listening to music, etc.

I wouldn't recommend building a PC for the first time alone. After all, you don't want to screw up and lose some money. Make sure to stick to instructions very carefuly.
Sorry I couldn't provide any help for the actual PC.

Magicalfishy
03-24-2016, 01:58 AM
I wouldn't recommend building a PC for the first time alone. After all, you don't want to screw up and lose some money. Make sure to stick to instructions very carefuly.
Sorry I couldn't provide any help for the actual PC.

I'll call up someone I know who knows how to build PCs. : P

Lain
03-24-2016, 02:08 AM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/39CW23
Should meet all of your requirements. i5 and 16GB of RAM for a ton of programs running at once. Small GTX 970 to fit the case you wanted and give you 60 FPS on almost all games on max or near max. SSD is included for fast program access and boot times. Noctua heatsink and fans so your computer doesn't sound like a jet engine. Reliable modular PSU from Seasonic so your computer's inside looks nicer and doesn't blow up. You might want to switch out the motherboard if you're installing some PCI 1x adapters, this only comes with one PCIE x16 for the GPU.
note: you can switch out the gpu for an r9 390 or one that's a bit bigger. I chose the gigabyte 970 because it was the only gpu below 177mm i could find.

Magicalfishy
03-24-2016, 02:41 AM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/39CW23
Should meet all of your requirements. i5 and 16GB of RAM for a ton of programs running at once. Small GTX 970 to fit the case you wanted and give you 60 FPS on almost all games on max or near max. SSD is included for fast program access and boot times. Noctua heatsink and fans so your computer doesn't sound like a jet engine. Reliable modular PSU from Seasonic so your computer's inside looks nicer and doesn't blow up. You might want to switch out the motherboard if you're installing some PCI 1x adapters, this only comes with one PCIE x16 for the GPU.
note: you can switch out the gpu for an r9 390 or one that's a bit bigger. I chose the gigabyte 970 because it was the only gpu below 177mm i could find.

Yo peck, can you tell me the difference between this one and yours? And could you tell me how you think they would both run?

peck
03-24-2016, 03:44 AM
Yo peck, can you tell me the difference between this one and yours? And could you tell me how you think they would both run?

Things I would change about his build is the gpu. However as he said it's meant to fit the mini case. 4gb video memory across three monitors wouldn't work well considering 1.5gb is used for OS and basic use. He also uses a bit more expensive cpu cooler, which I've done fine with the standard ones. Just as long as you're never using stock coolers.
In terms of performance it's pretty much equal except for the gpu, though it comes with great drivers it's performance is a little inferior to the r9 390. His cpu listed is by specs a tad slower but you won't note a difference.
If you truly want it mini, his build is fine for most the things you would like. As cool as SSD's are I'm not a fan of their lifespan (the speed dies over time) considering the price per gigabyte.
Personally I've never had issues carrying around mid towers or need extra mobility in any situation, but if that's where you want to move your budget go ahead.

craft3d
03-24-2016, 04:45 AM

This is a very good build, nice one. I would opt for maybe a modular or semi-modular PSU as well as not a Z170 board because DDR4 won't be really mainstream for at least 3-4 years and by then he should have the funds available for a new motherboard and CPU. I think either going with Haswell (LGA 1150) or Devil's Canyon (LGA 1150) or even a CPU on the LGA-2011 socket would be fine. Not saying the 1151 is not worth it but for the OP, it might be more of a cost-conservative build, y'know? I'd also say a SSD be added but that would make me a hypocrite. Other than these little nit-picks, good build. OP, this would be a very good build and even consider a modified version.

peck
03-24-2016, 03:43 PM
This is a very good build, nice one. I would opt for maybe a modular or semi-modular PSU as well as not a Z170 board because DDR4 won't be really mainstream for at least 3-4 years and by then he should have the funds available for a new motherboard and CPU. I think either going with Haswell (LGA 1150) or Devil's Canyon (LGA 1150) or even a CPU on the LGA-2011 socket would be fine. Not saying the 1151 is not worth it but for the OP, it might be more of a cost-conservative build, y'know? I'd also say a SSD be added but that would make me a hypocrite. Other than these little nit-picks, good build. OP, this would be a very good build and even consider a modified version.

The reason why I'm switching to ddr4 is because next Gen games like fallout 4 are becoming more influenced by it. (Up to 13 fps difference).
I just personally don't like SSD's from the fact that they have a limited amount of writes, even though the number is relatively high it irks me mentally. As much as everyone calls it a rumor, says TRIM will stop it, and point to the "will last 100 years", it's unfortunately a real thing. Personal and online reports say you can drop around 10mbs every year on mid-hard use. However this may just because I have early generations, supposedly the newest ones will only relocate sectors in about 50 years of hard use.

craft3d
03-24-2016, 03:55 PM
The reason why I'm switching to ddr4 is because next Gen games like fallout 4 are becoming more influenced by it. (Up to 13 fps difference).
I just personally don't like SSD's from the fact that they have a limited amount of writes, even though the number is relatively high it irks me mentally. As much as everyone calls it a rumor, says TRIM will stop it, and point to the "will last 100 years", it's unfortunately a real thing. Personal and online reports say you can drop around 10mbs every year on mid-hard use. However this may just because I have early generations, supposedly the newest ones will only relocate sectors in about 50 years of hard use.

Oh, well that does make sense, but I only suggested the DDR3 because I'm not entirely sure if the OP would be playing Triple A Titles like Fallout 4 or not, but alright, I do see what you mean by this. SSDs on the other hand, yeah, the thing that really gets me about them is the price of them and, as you mentioned, the limited writes. I mean, you can buy a 6TB drive for 200 dollars and buy maybe a 500GB SSD for the same price, maybe more. That really breaks the deal for me, and I prefer the traditional drive as it is reliable enough and fast enough for me. Those reports of it lasting 100 years are probably fallacious because I don't think any drive is able to withstand that long of writing, and with a limited write speed, how slow will it be by than? Yeah. I see what you mean but maybe an SSD just for the OS or something would be nice. Just my two cents. :p

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wWyNXL

A slightly modified build, where I added a semi-modular PSU, cheaper RAM (same frequencies), a little cheaper board with overclocking in mind, and a Gigabyte 390. I also chose a different case for better cable management and a case window. I chose the PSU because I felt that cable management may be a thing to keep in mind while building this computer, the cheaper RAM because it is basically the same and has pretty promising reviews on it, the board, which I felt would be great for the OP as I'm not 100% sure he'll be doing massive overclocking so something like this would suit the build fine. I changed the GPU because I have a Gigabyte card and it's been a great card so far. I also was thinking of changing the CPU, but I'm not sure, as the OP never specified if he wanted to overclock his computer, and he said he wanted a quiet computer, and with that in mind the overclocking part maybe wasted. I don't know, take a look and tell me if I should change anything.

peck
03-24-2016, 06:04 PM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wWyNXL
take a look and tell me if I should change anything.

The psu change is a good call, I think you should put in another 8gb ram stick since he claims he wants to be able to video edit, record, and play a game all at the same time.
Motherboard change is fine and so is the gpu branding.

Once another 8gb stick is in there I think op should pick it.

Magicalfishy
03-24-2016, 08:29 PM
The psu change is a good call, I think you should put in another 8gb ram stick since he claims he wants to be able to video edit, record, and play a game all at the same time.

Oh snap, and that's even cheaper than your original build? : o

craft3d
03-24-2016, 10:59 PM

Oh, I'm such an idiot. :p I forgot 16 GB, my bad. Alright, I'll add it and send it again. Cheers!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qmmc3C

peck
03-25-2016, 01:07 AM
Oh snap, and that's even cheaper than your original build? : o

Yea the motherboard price difference is about $70 and he was missing an extra ram stick. Though the motherboard he listed is cheaper, it's still very reliable.

Lain
03-25-2016, 01:15 AM
If you wait for a while longer, you can get one of AMD's glorious Polaris GPUs.
http://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-polaris-gpus-released-school-season-desktops-laptops/

craft3d
03-25-2016, 01:21 AM
http://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-polaris-gpus-released-school-season-desktops-laptops/

Eh, but I'm not sure the OP wants to wait for Polaris quite yet. The R9 390 should be fine for his needs and it is basically overkill at 1080p.

peck
03-25-2016, 01:26 AM

Pascal is coming soon aswell, but it's hard to trust the marketing of "10x faster" when moore's law has ceased.

craft3d
03-25-2016, 01:28 AM
Pascal is coming soon aswell, but it's hard to trust the marketing of "10x faster" when moore's law has ceased.

This is so so true.

Magicalfishy
03-25-2016, 09:42 PM
Oh, I'm such an idiot. :p I forgot 16 GB, my bad. Alright, I'll add it and send it again. Cheers!

Is this the completed build I should go for?

Hippohello2
03-25-2016, 10:36 PM
why not just buy a pc?

its cheaper, you get to choose what you want and don't want (contributes to the cheapness) ]and it feels very good to have made your own.

Magicalfishy
03-29-2016, 01:42 PM

Hey peck, should I see if I can find anyone to help me build the PC, or should I use a website that allows you to buy the parts and have it custom built? :sweatdrop:

And if I should use a custom PC building website, do you have any in mind?

peck
03-29-2016, 03:54 PM
Hey peck, should I see if I can find anyone to help me build the PC, or should I use a website that allows you to buy the parts and have it custom built? :sweatdrop:

And if I should use a custom PC building website, do you have any in mind?

Look up a YouTube tutorial (the most beginner friendly one is: https://youtu.be/k1Q8ksRI1Eo). The motherboard manual tells you where to put every labeled cable. You don't need any real experience assembling a pc, you just need to be able to read and follow instructions.

Is this the completed build I should go for?

Yes.

Areodax
03-29-2016, 03:58 PM
"If the socket fits and the hardware clicks, you've done good."

-Computer Teacher, 2k15 - 2k16

Lain
03-29-2016, 06:07 PM
Hey peck, should I see if I can find anyone to help me build the PC, or should I use a website that allows you to buy the parts and have it custom built? :sweatdrop:[/SIZE]
Do it yourself. There are a ton of guides all over the internet for assembling your own PC. If you don't trust yourself, call a friend. Most custom PC services are ridiculously overpriced. There's one up for $1,200 on iBuyPower PC with a 960 and i7 to give you an idea of how overpriced it is.

Magicalfishy
03-30-2016, 02:49 PM
Do it yourself. There are a ton of guides all over the internet for assembling your own PC. If you don't trust yourself, call a friend. Most custom PC services are ridiculously overpriced. There's one up for $1,200 on iBuyPower PC with a 960 and i7 to give you an idea of how overpriced it is.

I noticed, haha. But I did see some websites where you can pick all the parts and then they will build it for you. :p

Mutch
03-30-2016, 02:59 PM
I would say the RAM, SSD/HDD, GC and the CPU are the most important parts, in my ophinion.

Ram= Should be over 16gb, maybe 32gb is good enought?

GC= You need a good graphics card to run games smoothly! NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX is good! Choose your model depending on price!

SSD/HDD= For gaming, SSD is the best option, but to store stuff and run many diffrent programs, HDD is better. Many people choose SSD when they build computer dedicated to gaming! ( I would choose SSD!)

CPU= If you would like the best, I recommend i7, with quad or more cores!

Am I right or wrong? I used my general knowledge, so I'm not 100% shore. Right me if I'm wrong. :hat:

craft3d
03-30-2016, 05:00 PM
I would say the RAM, SSD/HDD, GC and the CPU are the most important parts, in my ophinion.

GC= You need a good graphics card to run games smoothly! NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX is good! Choose your model depending on price!

SSD/HDD= For gaming, SSD is the best option, but to store stuff and run many diffrent programs, HDD is better. Many people choose SSD when they build computer dedicated to gaming! ( I would choose SSD!)

Am I right or wrong? I used my general knowledge, so I'm not 100% shore. Right me if I'm wrong. :hat:

RAM = 8 to 16GB, unless doing intensive editing and graphical rendering

GC = AMD is really good too, because they have 8GB cards where nVidia only offers 3.5 and 4GB cards with good specs but 8GB is all around way more useful.

SSD/HDD = No, SSD is usually good for the OS as the cost of SSDs versus HDDs is extreme and not worth the extra load time. SSD (120GB) is probably the best and only should be used for your OS or really long load time in games.

CPU = To be honest, you really can live without an i7, because even though it has more cores, it doesn't matter. The extra 100 - 200 dollars spent on a, say, i7-4790k, is not worth it if you are upgrading from an, say, i5 4690k. I mean, again, like the RAM, get an i7 if you're into intensive multitasking

Pointer
03-30-2016, 05:11 PM
RAM = 8 to 16GB, unless doing intensive editing and graphical rendering

GC = AMD is really good too, because they have 8GB cards where nVidia only offers 3.5 and 4GB cards with good specs but 8GB is all around way more useful.

SSD/HDD = No, SSD is usually good for the OS as the cost of SSDs versus HDDs is extreme and not worth the extra load time. SSD (120GB) is probably the best and only should be used for your OS or really long load time in games.

CPU = To be honest, you really can live without an i7, because even though it has more cores, it doesn't matter. The extra 100 - 200 dollars spent on a, say, i7-4790k, is not worth it if you are upgrading from an, say, i5 4690k. I mean, again, like the RAM, get an i7 if you're into intensive multitasking

Isn't that intensive editing and graphical rendering at the same time? So 16GB and up ram is definitely recommended.

AMD GC actually has a better $$$:performance ratio + 8GB vram of GC for only $350 bucks ( referring to r9 390x )... Yes, NVIDIA has a 12GB vram of GC ( GTX Titan X ) but it costs about $1000.
I agree, i7 isn't so necesarry, especially if your budget is only $1200. Better spend the rest of money on the ram, might want to do a 2-way crossfire/SLI as well. Intel i5 6600k ( skylake ) does the job, but i7 could process the edited videos etc. faster. SSD only reduces wait time, if you are impatient then that's a must. But usually HDD's does the job pretty well, except its slower than SSD's

Magicalfishy
03-30-2016, 05:28 PM
Isn't that intensive editing and graphical rendering at the same time? So 16GB and up ram is definitely recommended.

AMD GC actually has a better $$$:performance ratio + 8GB vram of GC for only $350 bucks ( referring to r9 390x )... Yes, NVIDIA has a 12GB vram of GC ( GTX Titan X ) but it costs about $1000.
I agree, i7 isn't so necesarry, especially if your budget is only $1200. Better spend the rest of money on the ram, might want to do a 2-way crossfire/SLI as well. Intel i5 6600k ( skylake ) does the job, but i7 could process the edited videos etc. faster. SSD only reduces wait time, if you are impatient then that's a must. But usually HDD's does the job pretty well, except its slower than SSD's

So should we make modifications to this build? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qmmc3C

@peck

peck
03-30-2016, 05:35 PM
So should we make modifications to this build? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qmmc3C

@peck

No. That build is very cost efficient for your price range and will do what you want it to. And no you don't need more RAM.
2gig- operating system
4gig- rendering
4gig-games
6gig-anything else

Spotlight
03-30-2016, 05:51 PM

32gb is way overkill, 16gb may even be too much.
For his budget I would reccomend a 120gb ssd for the OS and a hard drive for everything else.
No need for an I7 necessarily, I would run with a skylake or 5th gen i5.

Magicalfishy
03-30-2016, 06:26 PM
No. That build is very cost efficient for your price range and will do what you want it to. And no you don't need more RAM.
2gig- operating system
4gig- rendering
4gig-games
6gig-anything else

Alrighty, cool beans. :p

Also, I need to get an OS right? :sweatdrop:

Hypnoid
03-30-2016, 06:52 PM

Buy windows 7 then upgrade to 10 if you want to

peck
03-30-2016, 07:05 PM

Yea, but that's not included in builds because of how common windows piracy is and linuix. Up to you on that end.

You can drop your cpu temp by 5 degrees Fahrenheit if you get some cheap thermal paste, but that's optional.

Magicalfishy
03-30-2016, 07:12 PM
Yea, but that's not included in builds because of how common windows piracy is and linuix. Up to you on that end.

You can drop your cpu temp by 5 degrees Fahrenheit if you get some cheap thermal paste, but that's optional.

So I modified the build (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z4djP6) and added this case (http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-N400-Computer-NSE-400-KKN2/dp/B00DKXXBU0/ref=sr_1_33?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1459364576&sr=1-33&keywords=ATX+Mid+Tower&refinements=p_72%3A1248879011) because it had ports on the front. Was that a smart move or nah?

Lain
03-30-2016, 07:19 PM
So I modified the build (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/z4djP6) and added this case (http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-N400-Computer-NSE-400-KKN2/dp/B00DKXXBU0/ref=sr_1_33?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1459364576&sr=1-33&keywords=ATX+Mid+Tower&refinements=p_72%3A1248879011) because it had ports on the front. Was that a smart move or nah?

I've actually built a computer inside that case before. The inside wasnt really too bad, but the material just felt a bit... cheap. Go with one of the higher priced cases. When you build a computer the case is something that stays with you throughout all your upgrades, so make sure you get a good one.

Magicalfishy
03-30-2016, 07:36 PM
I've actually built a computer inside that case before. The inside wasnt really too bad, but the material just felt a bit... cheap. Go with one of the higher priced cases. When you build a computer the case is something that stays with you throughout all your upgrades, so make sure you get a good one.

Are there any others with ports on the front that aren't cheap (material-wise)? I sorta need front-side ports if possible.

craft3d
03-30-2016, 07:41 PM

Dude, he said 16 but 32GB is recommended. I said you need 8-16GB. I mean, even if he's playing games, he never specified which sorts of games so I mean, we could be rendering and playing an Indie title, so it's kind of hard to decide actually how much he needs. 16GB should be the right amount for editing.

I know, AMD does have better P - 2 - P but it's the heat dissipation and the thermal that turn people away from these cards. However, Polaris will definitely change that.

The rest of your build budget should actually go towards either a case or a PSU, because those are both crucial factors as these will stick with you for most of your PC life, so get those. The newest architecture is good, but to be honest, Haswell is just fine for this sort of build. No need to go crazy on the specs. i7 can edit videos faster, BUT, and this is only my PoV, but the extra $100 does not seem worth it for some faster loading times in rendering. Unless we are deducting hours from the render time, it's not worth it. However, that's just my 2 cents.

- - - Updated - - -

32gb is way overkill, 16gb may even be too much.
For his budget I would reccomend a 120gb ssd for the OS and a hard drive for everything else.
No need for an I7 necessarily, I would run with a skylake or 5th gen i5.

See, you don't really need Skylake as the performance increase from say, Devil's Canyon or Haswell just isn't worth it.

Have a chart(s) for my point: http://cdn.overclock.net/4/4c/1000x1000px-LL-4c41fa7b_gqDHSgc.png
http://media.gamersnexus.net/images/media/2015/intel/i7-6700k-gta-v-1.png

Lain
03-31-2016, 01:41 AM
Are there any others with ports on the front that aren't cheap (material-wise)? I sorta need front-side ports if possible.

There are many.

Ports on the top-front
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352051&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Cases+%28Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form%29-_-N82E16811352051&gclid=CP-1t6jk6csCFQqIfgodtP4K5g&gclsrc=aw.ds
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854003&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Cases+%28Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form%29-_-N82E16811854003&gclid=CKD-g7vk6csCFVBffgodDGcOiw&gclsrc=aw.ds\
Ports on the front:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139009&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139024&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
Ports in the front-middle:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139022&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Magicalfishy
03-31-2016, 02:03 AM
@peck So I made this new list (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cXLCsY). Since the new case I selected comes with a fan, should I ditch the old one? :sweatdrop:

(idk I probably am totally wrong.)

peck
03-31-2016, 02:58 AM
@peck So I made this new list (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cXLCsY). Since the new case I selected comes with a fan, should I ditch the old one? :sweatdrop:

(idk I probably am totally wrong.)
Most cases come with fans, even if they dont, the best case fans areally only $20. I don't like spending more than $80 on a case because even if it "feels cheap" the purpose is to have something to screw your parts into and give the most benefit along side.

Maybe you'll like this case, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352021
Two hydraulic fans, lots of room, supposedly noise cancelling.

Magicalfishy
03-31-2016, 03:03 AM
Most cases come with fans, even if they dont, the best case fans areally only $20. I don't like spending more than $80 on a case because even if it "feels cheap" the purpose is to have something to screw your parts into and give the most benefit along side.

Alright. I guess I'll stick with the original build. I won't be buying it until May at the earliest... are you thinking about adding anything else?

peck
03-31-2016, 03:09 AM
Alright. I guess I'll stick with the original build. I won't be buying it until May at the earliest... are you thinking about adding anything else?

You should be aiming for craft3d's modified version of my build

Magicalfishy
03-31-2016, 03:12 AM
You should be aiming for craft3d's modified version of my build

Right. I've got it bookmarked. (:

LarryLurr
03-31-2016, 04:10 AM
ok your going to need scissors and a box of raisins follow my instructions carefully or youll die

craft3d
03-31-2016, 04:17 AM
Right. I've got it bookmarked. (:

BY the way, if you want the N400 to swap for the NXZT case, that's fine.