PDA

View Full Version : My GTX 760 is running at 100C!!!!! HELP

albzterninja
04-24-2016, 07:22 PM
What the heck! My computer was running slow so I benchmarked it in Heaven and it fricking reached 102C! I think my GPU fan is broken or something.. Is it replaceable or do I have to buy a new GPU? No warranty.

Venus
04-24-2016, 07:25 PM
Rip wat build tho

peck
04-24-2016, 07:25 PM
1. Your benchmark is stressing it really hard
2. Its temperature reader is defected
3. You have a bitcoin miner virus of sorts.
install speccy and then check if its still 100c. Im suprised it still works, 100c is a good killer.

Spotlight
04-24-2016, 07:26 PM
You could replace the heatsink and fan, but that may be kind of hard and time consuming.
If I'm honest, I think you'll be better off upgrading to a newer GPU. The 760 is rather obselete now, a 280x or 290 would be much better.

peck
04-24-2016, 07:28 PM
You could replace the heatsink and fan, but that may be kind of hard and time consuming.
If I'm honest, I think you'll be better off upgrading to a newer GPU. The 760 is rather obselete now, a 280x or 290 would be much better.
I dont think a fan or heatsink will help something hot enough to boil water.

albzterninja
04-24-2016, 07:39 PM
install speccy and then check if its still 100c. Im suprised it still works, 100c is a good killer.

Gonna scan my computer RN, it's a possibility.

- - - Updated - - -

TS. I've been thinking of upgrading.

- - - Updated - - -

Rip wat build tho

Bought it of an store & they're retarded and can't give me all specs but gtx 760, i7 3770k 12gb ram no ssd 1tb

- - - Updated - - -

I dont think a fan or heatsink will help something hot enough to boil water.

If it isn't a virus something might be wrong with the GPU fan so replacing that might help it..

Spotlight
04-24-2016, 07:46 PM
Gonna scan my computer RN, it's a possibility.

- - - Updated - - -

TS. I've been thinking of upgrading.

- - - Updated - - -

Bought it of an store & they're retarded and can't give me all specs but gtx 760, i7 3770k 12gb ram no ssd 1tb

- - - Updated - - -

If it isn't a virus something might be wrong with the GPU fan so replacing that might help it..

Never buy a pre-built machine. Building your own machine is easier than it sounds and is much more cost effectuve. They're usually faster too and you can choose all the parts.

craft3d
04-24-2016, 07:52 PM

I bet it's the reference GTX 760.

- - - Updated - - -

Never buy a pre-built machine. Building your own machine is easier than it sounds and is much more cost effectuve. They're usually faster too and you can choose all the parts.

Well, building one can be a pain in the anus if some parts have to be RMAed without even being used, and some other minor setbacks can shy others away, but yes, prebuilts usually use stock heatsinks and refrence cards, and horrid motherboard and PSUs.

- - - Updated - - -

What the heck! My computer was running slow so I benchmarked it in Heaven and it fricking reached 102C! I think my GPU fan is broken or something.. Is it replaceable or do I have to buy a new GPU? No warranty.

I think you'd better do what peck said and get a program that checks the GPU temperature accurately, then open up the computer and check to see if the GPU has any physical damage. Also, you'd better upgrade to either a 970 (which isn't that good compared to a R9 390 or 390x but still) or wait for Pascal/Polaris GPUs to be released, they should be very good.

Was your screen going black or anything odd like that?

syrup
04-24-2016, 08:23 PM
Hit Ctrl shift Del, check processes, and go to all processes, if sv_ghost is there, end it, idk it might be that

craft3d
04-24-2016, 11:09 PM
Get a GTX 950. It has support for DirectX 12

So does the entire GTX 7xx, GTX 9xx, GTX 6xx , GTX 5xx , and GTX 4xx cards.

I don't understand why it is just limited to that card.

albzterninja
04-25-2016, 04:23 AM

Well I was 10 or 9 when I got my computer! (Had an 660 but they upgraded it since it broke)

- - - Updated - - -

I think you'd better do what peck said and get a program that checks the GPU temperature accurately, then open up the computer and check to see if the GPU has any physical damage. Also, you'd better upgrade to either a 970 (which isn't that good compared to a R9 390 or 390x but still) or wait for Pascal/Polaris GPUs to be released, they should be very good.

Was your screen going black or anything odd like that?

Nope, just running slower than usual. Gonna doubble check when the warranty runs out to see if it's possible to change it or not since I got a new 760.

Gusto
04-25-2016, 04:51 AM
You have a virus. You have to delete System 32 to reduce heat from your GTX, it's a marketing scam.

Just kidding

albzterninja
04-25-2016, 04:55 AM
You have a virus. You have to delete System 32 to reduce heat from your GTX, it's a marketing scam.

Just kidding

You're not helpful trying to gain posts by posting incorrect statements and acting like you know something about computers. If you do know something you would atleast say system32 not system 32...

craft3d
04-25-2016, 04:59 AM
Well I was 10 or 9 when I got my computer! (Had an 660 but they upgraded it since it broke)

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, just running slower than usual. Gonna doubble check when the warranty runs out to see if it's possible to change it or not since I got a new 760.

Hmm, maybe some of your RAM may have been damaged but not enough to break it.

Hopefully your card will be OK until you can get a new one.

- - - Updated - - -

It's the same price as the 760

It's not as good, and the 760 still has support for DX12

Get a new card like a R9 390, it'll be worth it (OP)

albzterninja
04-25-2016, 05:10 AM
Hmm, maybe some of your RAM may have been damaged but not enough to break it.

Hopefully your card will be OK until you can get a new one.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not as good, and the 760 still has support for DX12

Get a new card like a R9 390, it'll be worth it (OP)

Don't see how my RAM could effect my GPU temperature :scratch: Maybe the efficiancy but the temp is highly unlikely IMO but I'm not an expert.

And yes I'm thinking about getting a new GPU but It'd be nice if I could sell my 760 first to get that extra cash for a nice on. I'm not a huge AMD fan but performance wise for money they're better. But NVIDIA has some REALLY awesome software and it sucks to get rid of it (like shadowplay etc)

peck
04-25-2016, 05:10 AM

Most gpu fans dont even turn on until 60c. Without fans your gpu should only be running 30-40c. And so I very much doubt its an airflow issue (ive never heard of a 100c airflow issue anyway)

take off your case lid, turn on your pc, and put your hand in front of the damn thing, you'll be able to tell if its actually 100c or if its just a temprrature reading defect.

albzterninja
04-25-2016, 05:19 AM
Most gpu fans dont even turn on until 60c. Without fans your gpu should only be running 30-40c. And so I very much doubt its an airflow issue (ive never heard of a 100c airflow issue anyway)

take off your case lid, turn on your pc, and put your hand in front of the damn thing, you'll be able to tell if its actually 100c or if its just a temprrature reading defect.

Yeah it does seem unlikely for it to be 100C. I'm gonna open that bad boy up this week and get some compressed air and clean my computer. Could it be the thermal paste has worn off under my solid year of gaming?

peck
04-25-2016, 05:37 AM
Could it be the thermal paste has worn off under my solid year of gaming?

No. Thermal paste doesnt degrade from hard use, but use over long periods of time (contrary to popular belief, gaming for a day vs leaving the pc idle for a day has the same effect on the paste) There are rumors of replacement every 2 years, but 2 years is a very early expiration date.

albzterninja
04-25-2016, 05:43 AM
No. Thermal paste doesnt degrade from hard use, but use over long periods of time (contrary to popular belief, gaming for a day vs leaving the pc idle for a day has the same effect on the paste) There are rumors of replacement every 2 years, but 2 years is a very early expiration date.

Hmm I'm gonna open it soon enough and clean it and see if the fan is working/bad airflow some hot air might be leading into my GPU :confused: I'll see.