PDA

View Full Version : So I'm getting an electric guitar...

syrup
04-24-2016, 08:34 PM
So I've decided to take up a hobby, playing electric guitar seems pretty neato, and I know with any instrument, it takes time, (I play the violin) so I'm asking for anyone out there who owns an electric guitar to help me answer some questions (based on what my knowledge of guitars are)

My dad could loan me his acoustic guitar and I could start from there, keep in mind this is my first time buying or even (seriously) playing a guitar so I'm asking...

Should I start with electric or acoustic?
Recommended AMP for beginners?
I'm left-handed, does it matter if I buy a right-handed guitar?
How long did it take you to play a song?

If you are recommending something, please let it be something from a guitar center, it's practically the only store I know that actually has some good guitars (as far as I know I heard that they're okay) so don't recommend something from an alien planet where the shipping costs more than the guitar.

I know everyone has a personally preference and everyone does everything in a different way that is more efficient for them, but I just wanted to hear some suggestions before I actually buy something.

If you're going to post some snarky comment about me searching it up on google, I'll tell you that I need info from people in the now, not from some 2004 bulletin board forum

YellowPepper
04-24-2016, 08:55 PM
#HelpSyrup

|ThyLuigi|
04-24-2016, 08:58 PM
So I've decided to take up a hobby, playing electric guitar seems pretty neato, and I know with any instrument, it takes time, (I play the violin) so I'm asking for anyone out there who owns an electric guitar to help me answer some questions (based on what my knowledge of guitars are)

My dad could loan me his acoustic guitar and I could start from there, keep in mind this is my first time buying or even (seriously) playing a guitar so I'm asking...

Should I start with electric or acoustic?
Recommended AMP for beginners?
I'm left-handed, does it matter if I buy a right-handed guitar?
How long did it take you to play a song?

If you are recommending something, please let it be something from a guitar center, it's practically the only store I know that actually has some good guitars (as far as I know I heard that they're okay) so don't recommend something from an alien planet where the shipping costs more than the guitar.

I know everyone has a personally preference and everyone does everything in a different way that is more efficient for them, but I just wanted to hear some suggestions before I actually buy something.

If you're going to post some snarky comment about me searching it up on google, I'll tell you that I need info from people in the now, not from some 2004 bulletin board forum
Use the acoustic guitar first, you'll be able to play good music faster with it.
Get a left handed guitar if you can, it'd help.
And it doesn't take long to play a song, there's a lot of beginner songs out there.

Boomer
04-24-2016, 10:50 PM
Electric or acoustic?

Depends on what you want to play. Rock/metal? Go with electric. Country/bluegrassy? Go acoustic. I got stuck with an acoustic and I barely play it because Im a metal-head, and metal sounds stupid on an acoustic 99% of the time.

Yes, you should get a left-handed guitar.

Try out on your dad's guitar, and see if you like it.

syrup
04-25-2016, 02:14 AM
Thanks guys, but I think electric is more for me, my dad showed me a a bit of his guitar and it's alright, but acoustic just isn't my instrument (now maybe acoustic electric if I wanted to but not right now)

Still looking for anyone out there who plays electric, I've looked up some good videos (that took ages to find) and I think I'm ready to ask more questions if anyone shows up

BUMP!

rj0809
04-25-2016, 11:42 AM
i read it as electric chair.

syrup
04-25-2016, 09:31 PM
Bump! I'm getting it in a month after exams, I could still use so suggestions if anyone plays it.