PDA

View Full Version : Can just visiting a website give you a keylogger?

DynPlaysGT
04-27-2016, 05:08 PM
Just asking. Didn't download anything fishy, but I was playing an online game (not growtopia) and suddenly got an Already Online type of error, followed by a friend request on steam from that one hacker guy.
So, can a website give you a keylogger if nothing is downloaded? And if yes, what do I do now? ;-;

abt79
04-27-2016, 06:37 PM
Depends on the website

Liammagoo
04-27-2016, 07:20 PM
You're fine, I can assure you.

Besides wouldn't the damage be done already?

DynPlaysGT
04-27-2016, 07:21 PM
Depends on the website

What about one of those websites where the url is an ip address? I visited one of those links yesterday during the server DDoS without thinking, it looked exactly like growtopiagame but it might have been a fake.

Liammagoo
04-27-2016, 07:26 PM
What about one of those websites where the url is an ip address? I visited one of those links yesterday during the server DDoS without thinking, it looked exactly like growtopiagame but it might have been a fake.

That would be a phishing website, which are designed to trick you into giving your account details/downloading fake crap. Unless the bug force installs itself (Which you will still be warned about), you should be fine.

BadDevilGT
04-27-2016, 07:29 PM
Better be safe and do something.

DynPlaysGT
04-27-2016, 07:33 PM
That would be a phishing website, which are designed to trick you into giving your account details/downloading fake crap. Unless the bug force installs itself (Which you will still be warned about), you should be fine.
So, if no downloads happened (I left the website relatively quick), I guess I'm fine?

Better be safe and do something.

"Something"...?

mrthadawee
04-27-2016, 07:48 PM
It used to be back in the days of the earlier part of last decade that sites could easily mess up your computer with exploits, especially with the infamous Windows Internet Explorer, but nowadays it's a bit more difficult for hackers to do that... Usually you have to download an exe file or a script to get keyloggers and RATS and whatnot on your computer. Antiviruses and modern browsers usually block access to dodgy websites completely. But I certainly wouldn't rule it out...

As a precaution. I would advise NOT clicking any fishy link and NEVER give out your password, this should be common knowledge by now but "hackers" can't do anything to you if you use common sense... As for steam, don't trust anything. Complete paranoia is far more secure than Steam's so called "hack prevention" and "account security" (also not to mention that their support are incompetent), don't click links from people you don't know and exercise a healthy caution at all times... Who knows? Maybe this script kiddie tier 'hacking' scare will help people sharpen up on their internet security and in turn help them for when actual scammers could be a threat to you (the kind that do it to steal credit cards and dox for identity fraud, ie; the scary side of the internet).

Stay safe and if in doubt, change your Growtopia password here http://www.growtopiagame.com/account.php

- - - Updated - - -

So, if no downloads happened (I left the website relatively quick), I guess I'm fine?

I remember back in the good ol' days, sites could download, run and install programs with the mere running of a script, these days this type of thing is notified to you and even automatically blocked in most cases... Half of the old scam sites don't even work and even harmless site exploits like Youareanidiot doesn't work on newer computers... Which is a shame because the original one was hilarious as it even blocked ctr+alt+del... There is still a site that still has the original script somewhere...

Look at me blabbing on... You're fine.

DynPlaysGT
04-27-2016, 07:56 PM
It used to be back in the days of the earlier part of last decade that sites could easily mess up your computer with exploits, especially with the infamous Windows Internet Explorer, but nowadays it's a bit more difficult for hackers to do that... Usually you have to download an exe file or a script to get keyloggers and RATS and whatnot on your computer. Antiviruses and modern browsers usually block access to dodgy websites completely. But I certainly wouldn't rule it out...

As a precaution. I would advise NOT clicking any fishy link and NEVER give out your password, this should be common knowledge by now but "hackers" can't do anything to you if you use common sense... As for steam, don't trust anything. Complete paranoia is far more secure than Steam's so called "hack prevention" and "account security" (also not to mention that their support are incompetent), don't click links from people you don't know and exercise a healthy caution at all times... Who knows? Maybe this script kiddie tier 'hacking' scare will help people sharpen up on their internet security and in turn help them for when actual scammers could be a threat to you (the kind that do it to steal credit cards and dox for identity fraud, ie; the scary side of the internet).

Stay safe and if in doubt, change your Growtopia password here http://www.growtopiagame.com/account.php

- - - Updated - - -

I remember back in the good ol' days, sites could download, run and install programs with the mere running of a script, these days this type of thing is notified to you and even automatically blocked in most cases... Half of the old scam sites don't even work and even harmless site exploits like Youareanidiot doesn't work on newer computers... Which is a shame because the original one was hilarious as it even blocked ctr+alt+del... There is still a site that still has the original script somewhere...

Look at me blabbing on... You're fine.

Alright, thanks for your insight, that made me feel so much better xD
By the way, do you read and reply to messages you get on the forums?

Anton0202
04-27-2016, 08:08 PM
Pretty sure it's not that dangerous. But they want to trick you doing stuff IN the website

Phemus
04-27-2016, 08:15 PM
Turn off your pop-up, (automatic download). Who owning website allowed to see your IP Address so be careful, don't go every site :] Also you can't get hacked, get keylogger etc. things from visiting website.