PDA

View Full Version : Grievances with Forumers

JOSHIE63
05-24-2016, 02:34 PM
At this point, I might as well be vacuously preaching to a rock, but this needs to be said at some point. Multiple times I have been told to stop complaining about matters that cannot be changed (thanks GBAGamer), and this will not change regardless of how I organize it. However, I will take the minute chance of someone pensively reflecting upon at least one of these points.

This succinct list is comprised of behaviors that are detrimental inside the forums. In any case, this is for the hypocrites who complain about the community yet go and act like…well, I will stop there.

I. The Difference Between Being Cynical and a Jerk

A lot of forumers like to act cynical because they believe that whatever "experiences" they have had has molded them into an idealogical forumer. Usually paired with a seniority complex, this is almost ridiculous. As arbitrary as it is, this has no impact unless the situation in which this pseudo-intellect is used in calls for none of it.

So does a thread that asks for anime reccomendations really call for trite jokes about weeaboos and asinine remarks ridiculing their interests? The "wise words" from that of a teenager who defies the age demographic are not necessary whatsoever. This is no hyperbolic concept either. I could name forumers who do this on a quotidian schedule.

II. Impertinences and Thread Derailment

This happens far too often. People feel the need to completely alter the topic of the thread. If this was enforced as strictly it was in 2014-2015, most of today's forumers would be banned.

I could provide context, but I do not want get another infraction for another obscure, far-fetched bullying scheme. However, forumers literally will quote posts to fix solecisms in their succinct response; that does not include the idiotic remarks about the prices of items and so on. There was literally a thread wherein someone said that glowy blocks were six per wl, and somebody vehemently argued that they were five per wl. That is a paltry quarrel at that, but that whole thread was derailed as well simply because the OP wanted to know how to make a profit.

I am not going to provide the aphorism "If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all," because I find that shielded, but I think that pertinence to the topic should at least be diaphanous in the post.

III. Baseless Quarrels and Mob Mentality

For some illogical reason, people love to be defiantly intransigent, vehemently refuting everything people tell them with a skew toward their ad hominem beliefs. My favorite being: "Hitler was s great person." Why? "He was a great leader." Yeah…okay. This kindles baseless quarrels that are inconsequential to anything previously broached. Not only does this mar all discussion, but this prohibits any sort of uniform disposition, forcing nobody to agree.

Personally, I like to focus on mob mentality. In candor, people who are wrong deserve to be told so. However, that does not warrant a war between 2015 forumers who want to "fit in" with the older population by doing the aforementioned: acting superior with a pompous, cynical attitude.

Ever check a thread about wanting to be a moderator? They are not infrequent, nor copious; however, those that exist contain the same predictable responses. There are the — and this is general; not etched in stone — older forumers that give encouragement with a supple warning, and then the newer forumers who bash the aspirations of some forumer who joined within that week. Keep in mind that no one is in a higher place to do so, and anyone who feels they are should be old enough to discern right from wrong.

I expect nothing to change with this. I can already predict the responses as well. This is not a rant either, for I am not pushing for change. I simply believe that some people need to change themselves, something I cannot do.

xlightswitch
05-24-2016, 03:03 PM
I really like the quote in your signature. It's very hilarious and it makes me laugh. Hahahaha!

This happens far too often. People feel the need to completely alter the topic of the thread. If this was enforced as strictly it was in 2014-2015, most of today's forumers would be banned.

I could provide context, but I do not want get another infraction for another obscure, far-fetched bullying scheme. However, forumers literally will quote posts to fix solecisms in their succinct response; that does not include the idiotic remarks about the prices of items and so on. There was literally a thread wherein someone said that glowy blocks were six per wl, and somebody vehemently argued that they were five per wl. That is a paltry quarrel at that, but that whole thread was derailed as well simply because the OP wanted to know how to make a profit.

I am not going to provide the aphorism "If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all," because I find that shielded, but I think that pertinence to the topic should at least be diaphanous in the post.
Oh.

Tempting
05-24-2016, 04:33 PM
In the section explaining cynical forumers, I believe that there are 2 types of cynical forumers

Cynical (me)
Arrogant and Cynical (a good portion of people you're talking about)

I may actually be under Arrogant and Cynical for not putting myself under it.

craft3d
05-24-2016, 10:06 PM
Considering how illiterate I am compared to your wide, expansive vocabulary, it's not that believable that I actually have fully understood the purview of this topic. However, with my misguided sight on this article, I get the general point of convention. It makes a lot of sense and I probably fall within a majority of these categories, but at least I do not need to keep it concealed.

Areodax
05-25-2016, 12:57 AM
So basically, you're calling out the mistakes that most forumers are doing, but you realize it is futile.

I would say it isn't, but don't expect too much from a community full of kids. Maybe time will tell, yes.

JOSHIE63
05-25-2016, 02:23 AM
In the section explaining cynical forumers, I believe that there are 2 types of cynical forumers

Cynical (me)

You are fine. In fact, you are among my favorite forumers simply because you can crack a joke without disruption.

The people I am referring to are the ones with malicious intentions. Many of which are banned because of this.

Considering how illiterate I am compared to your wide, expansive vocabulary, it's not that believable that I actually have fully understood the purview of this topic. However, with my misguided sight on this article, I get the general point of convention. It makes a lot of sense and I probably fall within a majority of these categories, but at least I do not need to keep it concealed.

You are not doing anything wrong. I set you as a paragon of forum conduct if anything.

So basically, you're calling out the mistakes that most forumers are doing, but you realize it is futile.

I would say it isn't, but don't expect too much from a community full of kids. Maybe time will tell, yes.

I know too much of that already. I would even be okay if the Tavern gave this a thought. While the broad prospects leave threads open for humorous remarks (which do derail it, but we take them with a grain of salt then), the more solemn threads where jokes are not precedented have jocularities that are the definition of "hilarious and original."

TrishaxKris
05-25-2016, 09:51 AM
I never thought of someone such as you to get infractions.

About the " I want to be a mod " thing, there's always going to be one ironic forumer that bashes someone new as if he knew everything.

Maryjane
05-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Nice essay, it's just that you can't really expect most to follow it since there is always these kinds of people in the community
especially in a kids' game.
I really like how you pointed it out as well.
Hats off to you.

dancanban
05-25-2016, 03:41 PM
I really would like to know if the constant statements about the majority of the forum community being kids is true or false. It seems to be thrown about way too often.

Christopher
05-25-2016, 09:07 PM
At this point, I might as well be vacuously preaching to a rock, but this needs to be said at some point. Multiple times I have been told to stop complaining about matters that cannot be changed (thanks GBAGamer), and this will not change regardless of how I organize it. However, I will take the minute chance of someone pensively reflecting upon at least one of these points.

This succinct list is comprised of behaviors that are detrimental inside the forums. In any case, this is for the hypocrites who complain about the community yet go and act like…well, I will stop there.

A lot of forumers like to act cynical because they believe that whatever "experiences" they have had has molded them into an idealogical forumer. Usually paired with a seniority complex, this is almost ridiculous. As arbitrary as it is, this has no impact unless the situation in which this pseudo-intellect is used in calls for none of it.

So does a thread that asks for anime reccomendations really call for trite jokes about weeaboos and asinine remarks ridiculing their interests? The "wise words" from that of a teenager who defies the age demographic are not necessary whatsoever. This is no hyperbolic concept either. I could name forumers who do this on a quotidian schedule.

I am not going to provide the context "If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all," because I find that shielded, but I think that pertinence to the topic should at least be diaphanous in the post.

For some illogical reason, people love to be defiantly intransigent, vehemently refuting everything people tell them with a skew toward their ad hominem beliefs. My favorite being: "Hitler was s great person." Why? "He was a great leader." Yeah…okay. This kindles baseless quarrels that inconsequential to anything previously broached. Not only does this mar all discussion, but this prohibits any sort of uniform disposition, forcing nobody to agree.

Personally, I like to focus on mob mentality. In candor, people who are wrong deserve to be told so. However, that does not warrant a war between 2015 forumers who want to "fit in" with the older population by doing the aforementioned: acting superior with a pompous, cynical attitude.

Ever check a thread about wanting to be a moderator? They are not infrequent, nor copious; however, those that exist contain the same predictable responses. There are the — and this is general; not etched in stone — older forumers that give encouragement with a supple warning, and then the newer forumers who bash the aspirations of some forumer who joined within that week. Keep in mind that no one is in a higher place to do so, and anyone who feels they are should be old enough to discern right from wrong.

I expect nothing to change with this. I can already predict the responses as well. This is not a rant either, for I am not pushing for change. I simply believe that some people need to change themselves, something I can't not do.

I cannot understand anything you're saying, something about join date doesn't mean :poop:. I don't know any of the words in blue, and I stopped reading after the last blue word because I wouldn't understand the rest.

Bruce Wayne
05-25-2016, 09:43 PM

For some illogical reason, people love to be defiantly intransigent, vehemently refuting everything people tell them with a skew toward their ad hominem beliefs. My favorite being: "Hitler was s great person." Why? "He was a great leader." Yeah…okay. This kindles baseless quarrels that inconsequential to anything previously broached. Not only does this mar all discussion, but this prohibits any sort of uniform disposition, forcing nobody to agree.

I expect nothing to change with this. I can already predict the responses as well. This is not a rant either, for I am not pushing for change. I simply believe that some people need to change themselves, something I cannot do.

I really don't know how to respond to this thread. Mainly because I'd probably just say I have seen all of this, and that I agree with you. Even though of that, I really don't know if I would be cynical or what, but I do agree with you.

but hey just to ask: am I cynical.

Tonsy
05-25-2016, 10:24 PM
If you truly wish to find legitimate answers and a community that is more mature, just find another forum.

Juanma206
05-25-2016, 10:50 PM
If you truly wish to find legitimate answers and a community that is more mature, just find another forum.

By that logic, if you want someone to stop complaining about actual problems, go to another forum.

Oh wait you won't.

See the problem, mate?

-Juanma206

Tonsy
05-25-2016, 10:58 PM
By that logic, if you want someone to stop complaining about actual problems, go to another forum.

Oh wait you won't.

See the problem, mate?

-Juanma206

I rarely post on this forum. Besides, who said I wanted legitimate answers? I find it fun to fool around with naive people. I like to think of this like my playground. I'll help around and fool around.

Hans
05-25-2016, 11:06 PM

Cynical (me)

Having a bent and altered view on this world while forcing your ideals to refute someone else's ideal and being a passive individual who would just like to share experiences are two different things.

Though having that aside. It is actually just the principle behind this statement Joshie made — hypocrisy is at it's peak unless you learn to humble yourself that you are one of the hypocrites. We usually tend to reflect and try to avoid what is said rather than try to realize what we have done.

As for me, I know I personally have done all of these. To a certain extent, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

I rarely post on this forum. Besides, who said I wanted legitimate answers? I find it fun to fool around with naive people. I like to think of this like my playground. I'll help around and fool around.

lol its funny how i said this too back then but i find it... awfully ridiculous. surely time will tell what i mean.

Tonsy
05-25-2016, 11:07 PM
lol its funny how i said this too back then but i find it... awfully ridiculous. surely time will tell what i mean.

How so? (10 characters)

Juanma206
05-25-2016, 11:15 PM
How so? (10 characters)

It'll bite you in the ass when you look back at yourself.

Listen to the old man's words.:prophet:

Tonsy
05-26-2016, 12:00 AM
It'll bite you in the ass when you look back at yourself.

Listen to the old man's words.:prophet:

I expected an answer from Hans, but very well. I think your point of view would make sense in certain circumstances.

- I am not going to reply any further to this conversation since I feel like it may evolve into something greater. -

craft3d
05-26-2016, 12:54 AM
You are not doing anything wrong. I set you as a paragon of forum conduct if anything.

I certainly thank you for that, and I was warmed to read that. However, reading that felt fallacious as I honestly am not the... well, have a trite saying "the sharpest tool in the shed". I don't tend to be terrible, but I can gladly bring up some old threads where I caused disruption or discontented and vehement arguing on, or even to be the instigator of them while I believe I am the scapegoat.

I don't want to over dramatize this, but it's just a persistent issue I've had because of this. Thank you, though.

Pieguy
05-26-2016, 01:03 AM
Either you're a genius, or you managed to find an online thesaurus.

Or you're somewhere in between.

In any case, I guess I'm plenty arrogant in being cynical, mostly because what people say irritates me to the degree of me taking 20 minutes of my time to write the most well thought out comment that tells my opinion in a complete one-sided argument. I've been playing for 3 years now, and I've gotten nowhere, yet somehow I think I should tell others what to do. I guess I can be the first to admit that :sweatdrop:

When I say I joined 3 years ago, I mean the game. Not the forums. I didn't even have a computer back then

craft3d
05-26-2016, 02:50 AM
Either you're a genius, or you managed to find an online thesaurus.

Or you're somewhere in between.

In any case, I guess I'm plenty arrogant in being cynical, mostly because what people say irritates me to the degree of me taking 20 minutes of my time to write the most well thought out comment that tells my opinion in a complete one-sided argument. I've been playing for 3 years now, and I've gotten nowhere, yet somehow I think I should tell others what to do. I guess I can be the first to admit that :sweatdrop:

When I say I joined 3 years ago, I mean the game. Not the forums. I didn't even have a computer back then

I had the exact same mentality you have.

Areodax
05-27-2016, 12:52 AM
Bump, yes. Futile? Nah.

SageDeoxys
05-27-2016, 01:18 AM
And this is why I try to participate very little in arguments. I'm afraid I'll pull an ad hominem outta nowhere, make the other feel horrible about themself (which sometimes just has to be done), and then I get absolutely nowhere but lose the little respect I have gained.

JOSHIE63
05-29-2016, 04:10 PM
Bump, yes. Futile? Nah.

Lengthy? Yes. Futile? Still yes.

Appreciate the bump though!

And this is why I try to participate very little in arguments. I'm afraid I'll pull an ad hominem outta nowhere, make the other feel horrible about themself (which sometimes just has to be done), and then I get absolutely nowhere but lose the little respect I have gained.

Eh, it is not really worth worrying about. This is just something I have observed from the masses; whether or not they correct it is their choice.

DumbOldDoor
05-29-2016, 04:36 PM
You should at least put the link of an online dictionary to the start of the thread.
sorry:rolleyes:

JOSHIE63
05-31-2016, 08:42 PM
A bump for you and me.

|ThyLuigi|
06-03-2016, 05:46 AM
Stop being a cynical jerk? Sounds unreasonable to me.

Bumping this thread because I like it.

_CM
06-03-2016, 05:59 AM
If you want to be understood by half of the forumers, dumb it down to a point where people can actually understand what you're saying. No one will get the synopsis of what you're saying if you're using words that deep.

No one cares how wide your vocabulary is.

GrowHits
06-03-2016, 06:24 AM
What a wide vocabulary. Can someone explain what this thread is all about to me, a poor peasant with a narrow vocabulary?