PDA

View Full Version : Please don't spread my face around.

PannyFlan
06-01-2016, 08:34 PM
So, it was my fault saying '' go check out my instagram or facebook '', and I was only joking till people started saving the picture or resharing it :l
I'm now worried because what's goes on the internet, stays on the internet. I'm just afraid it might affect my future or something because people always tell me posting your face online publicly can cause trouble, etc.
So please remove my picture, thank you.

Eviil
06-01-2016, 08:38 PM
I will keep it forever until you give Tammy Ngo over to me.

mrthadawee
06-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Ever heard of the Streisand effect? The more you try to hide or censor something, the more it will be shown to the masses.

If you're really concerned... Don't go telling people to not post it, they're going to do the exact opposite, instead, ignore it for the most part, if you can, report it via social media, I hear they more or less accept any nonsense as long as you put something like "harassment" or "threatening" alongside it.

And as for the "pictures effect jobs thing", if you're that worried, don't put anything on Facebook or social media... Let it be an empty shell used to contact people at the most... It is not the employer's business to know what your nonsense on facebook (often posted years in the past mind you) is about. Business is business and if you're not an idiot that posts hundreds of cringeworthy selfies at parties then you have nothing to fear. But once you post an image on sites such as facebook where anyone can see it, you've made the mistake of doing so and thus you will have to face the consequences if anyone decides to mess with you.

The internet works in weird and wonderful ways, once one knows how it truely works, they can use that info to exploit it or just greatly benefit themselves with the blessing of common sense... Alas... Many people choose to exploit it.

Liammagoo
06-01-2016, 08:50 PM
You knew the consequences of posting your face online. Just be glad you're not ugly. Otherwise you'd become a bad meme. Thankfully nobody can really screw around with your picture so you should be fine when everything dies out.

Metalwire
06-01-2016, 09:01 PM
You knew the consequences of posting your face online. Just be glad you're not ugly. Otherwise you'd become a bad meme. Thankfully nobody can really screw around with your picture so you should be fine when everything dies out.
I wouldn't considered anyone ugly, apparently humanity basis each other on appearance then actual feeling,but PannyFlan is a beautiful girl, and that beauty shouldn't be taken advantage of, Whether she posted it or not she still shouldn't be ashamed of it, but that's just me.

REGISORD
06-01-2016, 09:12 PM
Ever heard of the Streisand effect? The more you try to hide or censor something, the more it will be shown to the masses.

Uh-huh. For 2 months, my friends tried to pry a secret out of me. It was only a few weeks ago that I finally told them. I only told 3 of my friends, and only those 3 were supposed to know. They weren't supposed to tell anyone else at all.

As of the time I'm typing this, 20+ people know, and that number is growing every day.

During the 2 months that I tried to hide my secret, I guess I might have hyped up my secret, without meaning to, by simply trying to hide it.

Hippohello2
06-01-2016, 09:46 PM
So, it was my fault saying '' go check out my instagram or facebook '', and I was only joking till people started saving the picture or resharing it :l
I'm now worried because what's goes on the internet, stays on the internet. I'm just afraid it might affect my future or something because people always tell me posting your face online publicly can cause trouble, etc.

You see, this doesn't help at ALL, considering you have an instagram and YOU originally posted the pictures. How would showing your face lead to the downfall of your life?

ambiguster
06-01-2016, 09:48 PM
You see, this doesn't help at ALL, considering you have an instagram and YOU originally posted the pictures. How would showing your face lead to the downfall of your life?

Cause its instagram. It was originally for Posting Pictures of YOU.

maybe she doesn't want anyone from this forum stepping on her front door
Acting like stalkers :crazy:

Hippohello2
06-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Cause its instagram. It was originally for Posting Pictures of YOU.

maybe she doesn't want anyone from this forum stepping on her front door
Acting like stalkers :crazy:

Its like posting a picture of you at a party drinking, and then posting it here, then yelling at us for sharing it on a SMALLER SCALE. Instagram's community is at least 10 times larger than this entire forum. Giving a picture won't give away your address. It was her fault for leaving it open and if anything happens it is entirely her fault.

PannyFlan
06-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Its like posting a picture of you at a party drinking, and then posting it here, then yelling at us for sharing it on a SMALLER SCALE. Instagram's community is at least 10 times larger than this entire forum. Giving a picture won't give away your address. It was her fault for leaving it open and if anything happens it is entirely her fault.

I wasn't yelling at you guys, I only asked to not spread the picture around since it's the only thing I can do.
My instagram account was private, and I made a mistake accepting one of the request, and I know it's my fault for posting the picture on instagram. I know posting pictures like drinking, illegal, etc will effect your future, but i'm not sure how a normal selfie, group picture, etc would effect me though.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're really concerned... Don't go telling people to not post it, they're going to do the exact opposite, instead, ignore it for the most part, if you can, report it via social media, I hear they more or less accept any nonsense as long as you put something like "harassment" or "threatening" alongside it.

And as for the "pictures effect jobs thing", if you're that worried, don't put anything on Facebook or social media... Let it be an empty shell used to contact people at the most... It is not the employer's business to know what your nonsense on facebook (often posted years in the past mind you) is about. Business is business and if you're not an idiot that posts hundreds of cringeworthy selfies at parties then you have nothing to fear. But once you post an image on sites such as facebook where anyone can see it, you've made the mistake of doing so and thus you will have to face the consequences if anyone decides to mess with you.

The internet works in weird and wonderful ways, once one knows how it truely works, they can use that info to exploit it or just greatly benefit themselves with the blessing of common sense... Alas... Many people choose to exploit it.

Yes, I know the consequences for posting pictures and anyone else that can mess around and try to exploit me. I would also like to know what pictures to avoid posting so it won't effect me or anyone else in the future? I know drinking pictures, nudity, violents, etc are not the pictures to post online for sure lol.

- - - Updated - - -

So I should let itt die quietly and try not to take anymore actions right?

Hippohello2
06-01-2016, 10:19 PM
I wasn't yelling at you guys, I only asked to not spread the picture around since it's the only thing I can do.
My instagram account was private, and I made a mistake accepting one of the request, and I know it's my fault for posting the picture on instagram. I know posting pictures like drinking, illegal, etc will effect your future, but i'm not sure how a normal selfie, group picture, etc would effect me though.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I know the consequences for posting pictures and anyone else that can mess around and try to exploit me. I would also like to know what pictures to avoid posting so it won't effect me or anyone else in the future? I know drinking pictures, nudity, violents, etc are not the pictures to post online for sure lol.

- - - Updated - - -

So I should let itt die quietly and try not to take anymore actions right?
First off, don't give anyone ideas. Instagram is useless and only used for attention. Would you make a useless 140 character post, to lose a $140,000 scholarship? Social media's benefits are very slim compared to the risks.

MUSICANGEL
06-01-2016, 10:26 PM

Kind of overreacting at the last part. That's why in school they teach you to be careful about what you post online. A picture doesn't affect your future or cause trouble unless it's inappropriate. If you wanted, you could have direct messaged the people who wanted to see your face on social media instead of posting it for your friends and followers to see. I'm sure nothing will harm your future just for posting a selfie.

Liammagoo
06-01-2016, 11:31 PM
Kind of overreacting at the last part. That's why in school they teach you to be careful about what you post online. A picture doesn't affect your future or cause trouble unless it's inappropriate. If you wanted, you could have direct messaged the people who wanted to see your face on social media instead of posting it for your friends and followers to see. I'm sure nothing will harm your future just for posting a selfie.

Indeed. A selfie of that state doesn't reveal anything you don't want to be shared, and as there's tons of other people with a face like yours (Which is horrible to say, heh), you won't stick out as well.

JOSHIE63
06-02-2016, 12:17 AM
Regardless of the circumstance, it is common courtesy -- no, a rule almost -- that when someone asks for people to stop, they stop. With the happy-go-lucky forumers nowadays that justify their "funny" jokes with satirical purpose, I would not falter over my own words if they did the exact opposite of what is politely asked of them.

peck
06-02-2016, 12:19 AM
Having a good social media page of showing life accomplishments and such could help your case to get a job. Posting legal-line or incriminating things will break your chance.

People will often say its not your employers business, but they'll do it anyway.

If its just a silly picture it wont do bad to you.

mrthadawee
06-02-2016, 06:00 AM

If you have any amount of self respect, you wouldn't post any questionable pictures anyway for the sake of your own good name... But always keep this in mind; Once you post a picture online, you loose control of it, it'll be there forever. (bar a few exceptions with encrypted p2p stuff which is deleted straight after, stuff like kik and snapchat don't count because it's not p2p and the images are stored on the server for some time... Theoretically pictures on kik and snap-chat are not truly deleted)

I know people who've foolishly posted nudes and had them leaked slightly, those nudes are still floating around out there in the dark corners of the internet I'd reckon... It's a sad tale but it also serves as a warning, a testament to what may happen if you foolishly post pictures of that nature.

I know you have a good head on you so of course you wouldn't do such a thing, but as for what pictures are safe to post... Remember this rule, if you don't want your grandparents or parents to see it, it's probably not a good thing to post, hypothetically of course, your grandma probably isn't lurking Instagram on a daily basis :^)

So don't worry too much. A simple selfie leak isn't the end of the world. That said, I wouldn't let anyone know your Facebook or any personal biz like that... Not everyone can be trusted.

mrthadawee
06-02-2016, 06:11 AM
Regardless of the circumstance, it is common courtesy -- no, a rule almost -- that when someone asks for people to stop, they stop. With the happy-go-lucky forumers nowadays that justify their "funny" jokes with satirical purpose, I would not falter over my own words if they did the exact opposite of what is politely asked of them.
Alas... That is not the nature of the internet.

Consider it more like "We've clearly overstepped the mark here, there was a point in which we should have stopped but we've gone far past that now... Let's keep going and see what happens!"

Generally people will throw a joke around to a point where it really hurts someone, they won't stop because a number of them will keep going, like the broken window syndrome, if someone sees a joke like that as funny, they will do it too, "it was being used by lots of people anyway right?"

It's not until someone with official authority (mods) stop it because it's gotten far out of hand do they begin to stop. I wish people had a bit more sense but this is the internet afterall...

Some will see reason over madness, but most people will just keep doing it anyway, because they simply can, nothing is physically stopping them to.

That applies to most jokes, trolls, memes and whatever else people come up with. It's an interesting yet dark thing, this internet, it works completely different than real life, but most people don't realize that. We're all equal here until you give out personal info, then you are considered different and people will judge what you say based on who you are and NOT what you say, this is great for public figures who use that e-celeb status to get their idea out there, but not for the average internet user, people can and will find out who you are and if you step out of line, you WILL be meme'd off the internet. This doesn't apply so much in this community but it is still apparent, (some big famous person does something stupid, drama erupts, jokes are made, something sticks, turns into a mini inside joke meme and everyone is saying it by the end of the week.)