PDA

View Full Version : Building a new computer - need advice and help!

albzterninja
06-09-2016, 05:10 PM
So I'm buying a new computer for ~17.000 sek (1836€ or 2079$). And I've picked my parts that I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick too:

ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX DC3 OC
be quiet! Silent Base 600 Fönster Orange
be quiet! Straight Power 10 800W
ASUS Z170-A
i7 6700k
16 GB Corsair VENGEANCE LPX
be quiet! Pure Rock
Seagate Desktop 2TB 7200rpm 64MB (still looking for a better HDD because Seagate has a very high fail rate.)

(Note that the prices of the components vary from country to country so those parts might cost more or less in your country)

So what's the problem, you got all components ready and you could just order them right? Well no. Firstly the case and the PSU takes a while to order because it isn't in their warehouse (could look for another store and see if they have it in stock) but that's not the main problem. The main problem is that the graphics card arrives to sweden the 29th of june and I really want my setup up and going soon, I'll be fine waiting but can this computer run without a GPU? I've heard of computers running without a GPU earlier but maybe they had an APU? I'm not an expert on computers so I need some help. I'll probably not be running games during the time without a GPU (if it is possible with skylake) because I don't want to damage the CPU with constant stress on it, which may lead to decreased lifetime? (Not sure at all about that but makes sence in my messy mind)

Also if there's any other board partner 1080 that you think will be better than the ROG STRIX 1080 please list me it so I can look further into it. And I know this isn't a computer forum but I don't really feel like regestring for a new forum that I'll only use once, plus some of you guys actually know a thing or two about computers I've learnt.

Wronix
06-09-2016, 05:51 PM
It will technically work.. but all you will see is a blue screen with most programs.. you can browse the web and maybe open Steam/Skype etc but it will lag and likely overheat.

Gelys
06-09-2016, 08:34 PM
Change I7 for a High end AMD

LolDawn
06-09-2016, 08:51 PM
As a AMD Strix user, I'd recommend going for another GPU, especially if you're going to game on that PC.

I didn't see any name of a processor, are you going to use a PC without a CPU?

zxmvntcwrs
06-09-2016, 08:57 PM
As a AMD Strix user, I'd recommend going for another GPU, especially if you're going to game on that PC.

So I'm buying a new computer for ~17.000 sek (1836€ or 2079$). And I've picked my parts that I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stick too:

ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX DC3 OC
be quiet! Silent Base 600 Fönster Orange
be quiet! Straight Power 10 800W
ASUS Z170-A
i7 6700k
16 GB Corsair VENGEANCE LPX
be quiet! Pure Rock
Seagate Desktop 2TB 7200rpm 64MB (still looking for a better HDD because Seagate has a very high fail rate.)

(Note that the prices of the components vary from country to country so those parts might cost more or less in your country)

So what's the problem, you got all components ready and you could just order them right? Well no. Firstly the case and the PSU takes a while to order because it isn't in their warehouse (could look for another store and see if they have it in stock) but that's not the main problem. The main problem is that the graphics card arrives to sweden the 29th of june and I really want my setup up and going soon, I'll be fine waiting but can this computer run without a GPU? I've heard of computers running without a GPU earlier but maybe they had an APU? I'm not an expert on computers so I need some help. I'll probably not be running games during the time without a GPU (if it is possible with skylake) because I don't want to damage the CPU with constant stress on it, which may lead to decreased lifetime? (Not sure at all about that but makes sence in my messy mind)

Also if there's any other board partner 1080 that you think will be better than the ROG STRIX 1080 please list me it so I can look further into it. And I know this isn't a computer forum but I don't really feel like regestring for a new forum that I'll only use once, plus some of you guys actually know a thing or two about computers I've learnt.

anyway, get an Intel® Core™ i7-5930K 3,5GHz / Intel® Core™ i7-5960X 3,0GHz

ignore those who say "get amd".....

MyLegGuy
06-09-2016, 09:45 PM
You should find a place that has a lot people who know about computers, not here.

craft3d
06-09-2016, 10:05 PM
I'm going to actually clarify what you can do while waiting, not change the damn build like others are trying to do. First of all, you DO NOT need an extreme i7 processor (ending with an X), those are mainly for enthusiasts, overclockers, or people who need the absolute most performance. In fact, an i5 is probably the best CPU you could get over an i7 but an i7 is totally fine if you want it. Second of all, your 1080 is completely fine, as long as you can give me a rough list of what you want to play, what you will play, and for how long (how long you'll have the PC). Third of all, you can definitely use onboard video graphics from the i7, which should be Intel HD 530-630 or something along those lines. The onboard graphics are generally not very well suited for intense, long term gaming but if you're waiting a month and not playing games it should be totally cool, in fact it should not stress it too terribly as long as you don't use graphically intensive applications that require both CPU and GPU, because that'll use RAM and iGPU (integrated GPU) power, causing your computer to use more ram and make your processor hotter. Yes, having it run hotter can decrease the lifespan, but it's really a silicon lottery if your processor works well for a while or dies shortly. Generally running at a hot temp (70-90 degrees) will impact lifespan but not a crazy amount to actually be worried about. If it is 24/7 at a hot temp though, that can be worrying.

Hope this helped.

albzterninja
06-10-2016, 04:16 PM
It will technically work.. but all you will see is a blue screen with most programs.. you can browse the web and maybe open Steam/Skype etc but it will lag and likely overheat.

Thanks for the input. Though I doubt it'll overheat.

- - - Updated - - -

Change I7 for a High end AMD

O heel naw. I'm an intel and nvidia fan boi. Unless you give me a solid reason why I should get an AMD processor I won't change.

- - - Updated - - -

Why wouldn't you recomend the strix? Please elaborate. And I am going to game on that computer, the clock speed using gpu boost seems awesome, plus the fans are ~33db on load so it isn't that much noise so I don't see why not, so again please elaborate.

- - - Updated - - -

anyway, get an Intel® Core™ i7-5930K 3,5GHz / Intel® Core™ i7-5960X 3,0GHz

ignore those who say "get amd".....

Why should I get an extreme CPU? Sure it'll add a few frames on the more CPU intensive games but still I don't really think you need one that good.

- - - Updated - - -

You should find a place that has a lot people who know about computers, not here.

Yeah I posted in LTT's forum earlier. Plus belive it or not some people actually know a thing or two about computers.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to actually clarify what you can do while waiting, not change the damn build like others are trying to do. First of all, you DO NOT need an extreme i7 processor (ending with an X), those are mainly for enthusiasts, overclockers, or people who need the absolute most performance. In fact, an i5 is probably the best CPU you could get over an i7 but an i7 is totally fine if you want it. Second of all, your 1080 is completely fine, as long as you can give me a rough list of what you want to play, what you will play, and for how long (how long you'll have the PC). Third of all, you can definitely use onboard video graphics from the i7, which should be Intel HD 530-630 or something along those lines. The onboard graphics are generally not very well suited for intense, long term gaming but if you're waiting a month and not playing games it should be totally cool, in fact it should not stress it too terribly as long as you don't use graphically intensive applications that require both CPU and GPU, because that'll use RAM and iGPU (integrated GPU) power, causing your computer to use more ram and make your processor hotter. Yes, having it run hotter can decrease the lifespan, but it's really a silicon lottery if your processor works well for a while or dies shortly. Generally running at a hot temp (70-90 degrees) will impact lifespan but not a crazy amount to actually be worried about. If it is 24/7 at a hot temp though, that can be worrying.

Hope this helped.

Thanks it did help indeed.

I'm not changing the CPU, the i7 6700k is fine as you said. I'm gonna play ARMA 3, BF1 (when it releases), BF4, BO3. But not gonna play those games on cpu graphics obviously.

craft3d
06-10-2016, 11:18 PM
Thanks it did help indeed.

I'm not changing the CPU, the i7 6700k is fine as you said. I'm gonna play ARMA 3, BF1 (when it releases), BF4, BO3. But not gonna play those games on cpu graphics obviously.

Yep, your computer will be fine for light browsing until the GPU gets to you. However, I would say ARMA 3 is way more CPU intensive than GPU intensive, so that game will always have some sort of issue. I'm just saying this if you wonder why your framerate is sporadic in some parts. BF4 and BO3 should run fine although I've heard that BO3 is a RAM hog so just be wary.