PDA

View Full Version : Move_stop

Davidi
12-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Hi. I've been using Dink Smallwood Editor for awhile, but I haven't gotten Move_stop to work. What do the numbers mean?

Simeon
12-16-2003, 08:40 AM
There are four numbers in move_stop();

- The first number is the sprite to move (use 1 for Dink or a variable for any other sprite)
- The second number is the direction of the sprite. See your numpad for these numbers; 2 is down, 4 is left, 6 is right and 8 is up
- The third number is the x or y location where the sprite should go to (or should stop to move).
- The fourth number is if the sprite can go through hardness or not (1 is yes and 0 is no)

For example:

move_stop(1, 2, 375, 1);

would move Dink (1) downwards (2) to y coordinate 375 and he can go through the hardness of any objects he may encounter (1)

Davidi
01-10-2004, 04:09 AM
Thanks! No wonder it didn't work! Now I see where I messed up. This is what I thought:
-the first is the sprite (I got that right.)
-the second is the x position it moves to.
-the third is the y position it moves to.
-the fourth is just some random thing.
I waited for a while for someone to respond, so thanks...is it possiable to move something to a specific position?

Simeon
01-10-2004, 11:06 AM
is it possiable to move something to a specific position?

Well, there's no command to move Dink (or any other sprite) to a certain (x,y) coordinate but you can do so by using two commands, one for moving to the correct x coordinate and one for moving to the correct y coordinate. Of course, you can make it a combination of various move_stop lines to make the sprite move/walk a different path than in two lines from A to B.

Davidi
07-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Uh-oh...I still can't get it to work. Are you sure the third number is the x or y it moves to? Are you sure it's not how many pixels the sprite moves to? And is there supposed to be some brain or something? Oh, yeah...there's supposed to be a wait command afterwords, right?

Simeon
07-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Uh-oh...I still can't get it to work. Are you sure the third number is the x or y it moves to? Are you sure it's not how many pixels the sprite moves to?

Yes, the third number in move_stop is a x or y coordinate. It just depends on the second number if you specify an x or y coordinate there. You see, if you let Dink walk to the left (4) or the right (6), you specify a x-coordinate there. But if you let Dink walk to 8(up) or 2 (down), it's a y-coordinate.

And is there supposed to be some brain or something?

Yeah well - this depends on what kind of character/creature you're creating. If it's a human, it should have a human brain. If it's a foe, it should have the brain of a foe. Take a look in the development related textfiles for a list of all the brains.

Oh, yeah...there's supposed to be a wait command afterwords, right?

Not required, though it depends on what you want to happen. If you want a character to walk without pauses, there's no need to use a wait(xyz); - but if you want the character to stand still at a certain location, you can use a wait(xyz); command.

07-24-2004, 06:22 AM
Hi I've beaten the game but I'm puzzled about the
DinkEdit sprites. How do I create some real sprites like real magic+1 potion which i can drink in the game?

Simeon
07-30-2004, 04:15 PM
To create a potion (or something else that's an object with an animation/effect), place the sprite and then you need to attach a script to it. In case of the magic potion, the script needs to be ppotion (.c or .d). In such script, there has been defined what the animation of the sprite is and what all can be done with it (like when Dink touches it, it does Magic +1 and you pick it up).

This is how it works generally. You can set an animation in the editor for a sprite but if you want something more, you'll need to attach a script to it to handle it all.

madgamer
08-25-2004, 11:21 PM
my editor doesn't work too well. i put up a patch for xp but i still can't get it to work. when i press space, it freezes the whole darn thing. is there any other way i can the patch to stop it or something?