PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler Tags and You!

BlueDwarf
11-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Greetings forum goers!

I am here today to teach you about the wonders of SPOILER tags, and what they can do for YOU!

Let's begin with the basics:
Spoiler tags? What's that?

A spoiler tag is originally named and meant to hide spoilers, such as if you wanted to discuss plot details of a story without spoiling it for those who haven't seen/read/heard the story yet.
These spoiler tags however can be used to hide a great number of things. Even large images of cheese! YUM!

Okay, so spoiler tags hide things. How do I use them?
Using spoiler tags is really simple. The best way I can show you, is by giving a quick demonstration!

Hello World! :wave:

The above code will produce this result:
Using these tags will create a spoiler box around the enclosed text (or images!(or embedded videos! (or even more spoiler tags! They nest!(just like this beautiful nest of parenthesis!)))) when you post. Be sure use the Preview Post option if you want to make sure you've done it right before submitting.

Alright, I think I got it. What else are these things good for?

I would highly recommend using them in your signatures.
Spoiler tags work in signatures the same way they do in posts! They are great for hiding large images, lots of links, walls of text, videos, whatever you want!

You could keep 1-2 smaller images or text blips out of the spoiler tags, and hide away the larger images. This saves everyone the trouble of having to scroll past dozens of giant images each time they read a thread in which you've posted multiple times. Giant signatures can be distracting and disrupt the flow of the forums, they can even distract people from what your own post is trying to say! Oh no!

Though there are no rules on signature size or length, I would still definitely recommend at least stashing away the larger ones within spoiler tags. It will help make the forums feel more clean, and it will reflect better on you as a good citizen of the forums.

So get out there and give the spoiler tags a try!

Hope this post helps.

Mypoop123
11-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Greetings forum goers!

I am here today to teach you about the wonders of SPOILER tags, and what they can do for YOU!

Let's begin with the basics:
Spoiler tags? What's that?

A spoiler tag is originally named and meant to hide spoilers, such as if you wanted to discuss plot details of a story without spoiling it for those who haven't seen/read/heard the story yet.
These spoiler tags however can be used to hide a great number of things. Even large images of cheese! YUM!

Okay, so spoiler tags hide things. How do I use them?
Using spoiler tags is really simple. The best way I can show you, is by giving a quick demonstration!

The above code will produce this result:
Using these tags will create a spoiler box around the enclosed text (or images!(or embedded videos! (or even more spoiler tags! They nest!(just like this beautiful nest of parenthesis!)))) when you post. Be sure use the Preview Post option if you want to make sure you've done it right before submitting.

Alright, I think I got it. What else are these things good for?

I would highly recommend using them in your signatures.
Spoiler tags work in signatures the same way they do in posts! They are great for hiding large images, lots of links, walls of text, videos, whatever you want!

You could keep 1-2 smaller images or text blips out of the spoiler tags, and hide away the larger images. This saves everyone the trouble of having to scroll past dozens of giant images each time they read a thread in which you've posted multiple times. Giant signatures can be distracting and disrupt the flow of the forums, they can even distract people from what your own post is trying to say! Oh no!

Though there are no rules on signature size or length, I would still definitely recommend at least stashing away the larger ones within spoiler tags. It will help make the forums feel more clean, and it will reflect better on you as a good citizen of the forums.

So get out there and give the spoiler tags a try!

Hope this post helps.

Test [PHP] Hello world like that?

Jrlicup
11-27-2013, 06:38 AM
This helps many new users about how to use these :) I don't need it anymore but Im sure people appreciate it.

BlueDwarf
11-27-2013, 06:40 AM
Test [PHP] Hello world like that?

You don't need the [PHP] tags. I only used those so when I typed the [spoiler] tags they wouldn't turn into an actual spoiler tag box.

Other than that, yep! Looks like you've got it!
You can put whatever text, images, or videos you want inside the spoiler tags as well. They support all the forms of media that the forums can handle regularly.

Glad to see some folks finding this thread helpful :D

Mypoop123
11-27-2013, 06:44 AM
This helps many new users about how to use these :) I don't need it anymore but Im sure people appreciate it.

How did you make that give a damm thing.I want to try it .

BlueDwarf
11-27-2013, 08:09 AM
Ah! Off-topicness in my thread!

No matter, I shall help you anyway:
Go here: http://giveadamn.co.uk/register
Make an account for free (requires only your email), and it will provide you a link you can paste into your signature (which can be edited HERE (http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/profile.php?do=editsignature))

You want to copy-paste the text provided in the "BBCode for forums" box, not the HTML code.

Wontongirl
11-28-2013, 12:42 AM
Hello,Just Asking...You Know How You Custom Your Profile?Instead Of Colors How Do You Do Pictures Or Wallpapers?Also For Your Signiture How Do You Put A Pic Of Your Growtopian Character? .-.

Thanks,
WontonGirl

Koopa2000
11-28-2013, 01:18 AM
I always wanted to learn this, thanks bluedwarf!