PDA

View Full Version : How online scoring is calculated

Seth
09-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Some people were wondering exactly how the scoring system works, so here it is. It's a bit complicated.

Losses based on percentages of your career points

Players are grouped into 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc based purely on kills

In a game with many players it works like this:

1st place: Get all the points the other places lost

2nd place: Lose 2.5 percent

3nd place: Lose 3.5 percent

4th (or worse) place: Lose 10 percent

In a game with only two placement groups, the loser loses 10%.

In a game with three placement groups, 2nd loses 5%, third loses 10%.

Things to know:

If no player has scored at least 1 kill, the round isn't scored
Anyone who loses connection before the first point is scored isn't included in the end scoring math (won't lose points)
People who lose connection during gameplay keep their points, unless it's a 1 on 1 game at that point, which could've caused them to instantly win
Only one player can be 1st. It's impossible to tie for first because the server stops the game as soon as a player hits the goal-kill number. It is possible to tie in any other grouping. (second, third, etc)
In games with > 4 players, the second place player will also get some points instead of losing them. If too many people have tied for second place it won't though.

Not losing so much when fighting noobs

Ok, now if we left it at that, it's brutally unfair to high level players who play lower level players.

So there is an additional rule at work to help with this: An average career point is calculated for all players, and if someone has more points than this, it is truncated to this amount for point loss calculations. (So if everyone has 20,000 points, it does nothing, if one player has 20,000 and 7 had 100, the 20,000 guy would actually be limited to 2,587 when calculating his loss)

It's possible to win 0 career points, and why

The winner is given the exact amount that is lost. That means if you beat seven players who all happen to have near-zero scores, you will win 0. Not fair, but this should be extremely rare. And means the career system can't be cheated by making a private room and killing friends over and over in fake matches to get points, as they soon will be drained of points making it meaningless.

Career points: A 0-sum game

So wining a game only re-distributes existing points from the loser directly to the winner, it doesn't create points.

The only way new points are added to the mix is the 50 each new player receives, and the random amount given for logging in the first time each day. (2 to 10, it's random)

Oh, and gambling in the tavern can modify things as well. I'm not sure, but I suspect the gambling system only pays out 80% or so now, making it pretty poor odds, so this is going to be removing points mostly.

Conclusion

It's simple but effective. It bugs me that "being killed" doesn't have an effect on game play. If I remove deaths from your score though, it's possible games would become very long. So something like a 4 minute game timer would be needed.

I'm planning on adding "Game modes" that uses alternate rules, would like to try this soon.

Seth
09-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Ok, made two changes:

No one can lose more than 200 points in a single game
Second place guy gets 20% of the winners points if there are 4 or more placement levels (1st, 2nd, etc) If second place is a tie, the points are split.

ltrazor
09-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Good changes. I have had so many games where I was at 5 wins and about to get 6th when someone else won and then I'd loose bunch of points. :)

Ok, yes, I know, selfish like but what can I say... LOL

Seth
09-18-2011, 05:28 AM
Glad you like it! Hmm, ash sent me a screenshot where a second place guy got more than the first place guy.. so watch out, there might be a bug, please send me screenshots of any messed up score results ya see.

ltrazor
09-18-2011, 09:53 PM
At first I thought it wouldn't be challenging enough, but I can attest today that I managed to loose like 50 pts even with new scoring and I see that I gain less for being first place now. I still think its a good change..

I'm going to post some bugs I noticed in todays games in the other thread. Didn't think you would want them in the score thread.

ajax
09-23-2011, 12:50 PM
I've got a quick question on scoring:

Last night on a few maps I would come in first in a 4-5 person singles match and share points with second place (another purple player) getting 10 points shared, but then the next time around I would come in second place and lose 50 points.

Is it this type of situation that means second place would lose points, because there are only three point tiers?:
Player 1 - 6 kills
Player 2 - 5 kills
Player 3 - 1 kill
Player 4 - 1 kill

How is it determined if the second place person is going to lose points or share them?

Seth
09-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Is it this type of situation that means second place would lose points, because there are only three point tiers?:
Player 1 - 6 kills
Player 2 - 5 kills
Player 3 - 1 kill
Player 4 - 1 kill

Yes - the game sees this as "three tiers" and won't give the second place guy anything. (4 tiers required for that) I'll see if I can smarten it up so as long as there are 4+ players and 1st and 2nd are unambiguous it will still work...

Blast07
09-27-2011, 03:57 PM
I 've just faced similar issue

Player 1 - 6 kills
Me - 5 kills
Player 2 - 0 kill
Player 3 - 0 kill

an I lost 10 points...

ajax
09-28-2011, 12:19 PM
After playing quite a few 4 player matches lately, I think any match with 4 people or fewer should just pay out to the top scorer only and do away with second place scoring.

soccerfu
10-10-2011, 11:44 PM
I was playing today and I saw that the old points system is still there. I played a 5 player game witch means the second place player gets points. Here is what happened: player-6 kills me-4 kills player-0 kills player-0 kills player-0 kills. I lost 100 points. As you can see this cost me a lot. I don't like giving away points to a player that didn't earn them. Maybe I read the update wrong and if I did please forgive me but please look and see if you can fix this.:o

Seth
10-10-2011, 11:51 PM
I was playing today and I saw that the old points system is still there. I played a 5 player game witch means the second place player gets points. Here is what happened: player-6 kills me-4 kills player-0 kills player-0 kills player-0 kills. I lost 100 points. As you can see this cost me a lot. I don't like giving away points to a player that didn't earn them. Maybe I read the update wrong and if I did please forgive me but please look and see if you can fix this.

I bet one of those 0 kill players quit before any points were scored - if so, they are not counted for the scoring which would mean it is a 3 or 4 player game, not a 5 player game. In that case there will be no awards for the second place player.

I will continue to tweak scoring.

billy bob joe
04-13-2012, 12:27 AM
Ok, made two changes:

No one can lose more than 200 points in a single game
Second place guy gets 20% of the winners points if there are 4 or more placement levels (1st, 2nd, etc) If second place is a tie, the points are split.

200? I know someone who battled awesome kd and lost 750.:prophet:

soccerfu
04-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Thats the old scoring system.

truth
09-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Some people were wondering exactly how the scoring system works, so here it is. It's a bit complicated.

Losses based on percentages of your career points

Players are grouped into 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc based purely on kills

In a game with many players it works like this:

1st place: Get all the points the other places lost

2nd place: Lose 2.5 percent

3nd place: Lose 3.5 percent

4th (or worse) place: Lose 10 percent

In a game with only two placement groups, the loser loses 10%.

In a game with three placement groups, 2nd loses 5%, third loses 10%.

Things to know:

If no player has scored at least 1 kill, the round isn't scored
Anyone who loses connection before the first point is scored isn't included in the end scoring math (won't lose points)
People who lose connection during gameplay keep their points, unless it's a 1 on 1 game at that point, which could've caused them to instantly win
Only one player can be 1st. It's impossible to tie for first because the server stops the game as soon as a player hits the goal-kill number. It is possible to tie in any other grouping. (second, third, etc)
In games with > 4 players, the second place player will also get some points instead of losing them. If too many people have tied for second place it won't though.

Not losing so much when fighting noobs

Ok, now if we left it at that, it's brutally unfair to high level players who play lower level players.

So there is an additional rule at work to help with this: An average career point is calculated for all players, and if someone has more points than this, it is truncated to this amount for point loss calculations. (So if everyone has 20,000 points, it does nothing, if one player has 20,000 and 7 had 100, the 20,000 guy would actually be limited to 2,587 when calculating his loss)

It's possible to win 0 career points, and why

The winner is given the exact amount that is lost. That means if you beat seven players who all happen to have near-zero scores, you will win 0. Not fair, but this should be extremely rare. And means the career system can't be cheated by making a private room and killing friends over and over in fake matches to get points, as they soon will be drained of points making it meaningless.

So wining a game only re-distributes existing points from the loser directly to the winner, it doesn't create points.

The only way new points are added to the mix is the 50 each new player receives, and the random amount given for logging in the first time each day. (2 to 10, it's random)

Oh, and gambling in the tavern can modify things as well. I'm not sure, but I suspect the gambling system only pays out 80% or so now, making it pretty poor odds, so this is going to be removing points mostly.

Conclusion

It's simple but effective. It bugs me that "being killed" doesn't have an effect on game play. If I remove deaths from your score though, it's possible games would become very long. So something like a 4 minute game timer would be needed.

I'm planning on adding "Game modes" that uses alternate rules, would like to try this soon.
hey tanker, I found it for you , hope it helps!:sweatdrop:

bacon1
09-22-2012, 02:53 PM

This seems a tad old--points gambling? Haven't seen that n a long time. :p

And wasn't it discussed a while ago that it's changed now? That points aren't based on other people's losses, it's on your own personal percents? So points are created and thrown into the abyss. At least, I think it said that.

truth
09-22-2012, 04:52 PM
This seems a tad old--points gambling? Haven't seen that n a long time. :p

And wasn't it discussed a while ago that it's changed now? That points aren't based on other people's losses, it's on your own personal percents? So points are created and thrown into the abyss. At least, I think it said that.

yes, tanker wanted to know the scoring systems , so I found this thread for him, but my mistake was that I didn't read it back before I brought it forward, it was only 'after' I brought it back that I realized it was out of date. Oops, so please ignore this thread everyone as a lot of changes have been made since this thread first appeared , sorry about that, :sweatdrop:........and tanker, the changes can still be found in the forums somewhere!!! But i.ll leave it up to you to find this time :whistling::sweatdrop:!!!

ALien BBQ
09-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Sound great and fair. I would look however at the one on one games. I beat a player in a regular match which only had he and I. I scored 6 and he scored 1. He got the last kill and was awarded the game and points. Also I have been grouped up a couple of time when using my Love Tank in 1 on three matches. Commonly 1 love tank against a skull and a M3. Does the game consider the CP points, or tanks, or colors in choosing sides?

Seth
09-23-2012, 10:39 PM
I beat a player in a regular match which only had he and I. I scored 6 and he scored 1. He got the last kill and was awarded the game and points

Hmm, that should never happen, although if the player with 6 quit or dropped out, the guy with only 1 would win by default.

Does the game consider the CP points, or tanks, or colors in choosing sides?

It does, but it's a very minor weighting, only up to 10% of its total decision. It would never make a 3 on 1 team on purpose, that would only happen if some players dropped out while the game was starting I believe.

ALien BBQ
09-24-2012, 12:54 AM
Hmm, that should never happen, although if the player with 6 quit or dropped out, the guy with only 1 would win by default.

It does, but it's a very minor weighting, only up to 10% of its total decision. It would never make a 3 on 1 team on purpose, that would only happen if some players dropped out while the game was starting I believe.

Well it was me and generally I do not drop out. As far as others dropping out before the game I don't know.... there were no grayed out names so I would assume not. I have also noticed people coming back to life right after I kill them and the computer verifies so. They simply go dark, then light back up again in the same spot (within seconds) and keep fighting or drive off. I have actually had to pin them against a wall and unload a beagle in order to make sure the zombie stays dead.