PDA

View Full Version : FQ Wish List

Heretic Man
08-30-2002, 11:14 PM
Now that Seth is done with TLM, for the time being, what things do we want added to the next version of FQ? I for one would like some sort of mini-games like Barak's house in L.O.R.D. Remember that? Something you could visit once a day, it could be the cemetery or something. Anyway it's just a random thought, feel free to ignore or mock it.

-WC-
09-02-2002, 06:25 PM
Looks like he chose ignore. http://www.rtsoft.com/ib3/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Heretic Man
09-02-2002, 07:13 PM
Oh yeah.

Seth
09-03-2002, 10:53 AM
Actually I hadn't even noticed this thread before.

Before doing mini games I would like to refine the play a bit - seems to me you can't really modify or build up your parlor yet, which should be a huge part of the game.

Perhaps be able to have other players as guests. Build upon the multiplayer aspects. Clean up the communication and Flash code to take advantage of some better methods.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for now.

Heretic Man
09-04-2002, 03:21 AM
How could other players be your guest? I mean it's kind of a cut throat business in FQ. Now modifying your parlor, that could add some depth to the game. Would you bring back the reputation meter? I can imagine that when you upgrade your parlor your reputation would go up. Also it could go up if you get within 100 BP of a personís limit. What would also be interesting is if there was some sort of karma going on. If you piss off too many customers then only poor people would visit your parlor. And yeah, I am looking forward to seeing what new ideas you add to FQ.

09-04-2002, 03:52 PM
I haven't figured out what the Church or the Hospital are for yet... Have they actually been implemented yet?

I personally think Violet should make an appearance somewhere in the cafe... http://www.rtsoft.com/ib3/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Greg O'neal

09-21-2002, 10:34 AM
DiMart could sell: building improvements, listing in national regestry, additional hearse ( 2 or more, as we grow ), funeral supplies ( a low cost feature which would require frequent replenishment or perhaps as an added feature to entice 1 more customer)

Tobin
09-21-2002, 02:52 PM
Perhaps you could run a sale for the day... Discounted funerals at "so and so's" parlor today only!...that way you could get your bp count up.

hannie_13_2000
09-21-2002, 03:20 PM
If I am able to play it then I would

09-22-2002, 01:49 PM
DiMart could sell signs (wood, metal, neon or others), how about limosines ( 4 door car, basic limo, stretch limo or ultra supreme? ), Ad space for advertising ( basic one line ad in local newspaper, phone book listing, larger ad in paper, billboard?), An addition to the parlor ( perhaps a stockroom which would need frequent replenishment ), Additional viewing rooms? The doorway to the Parlor? ( basic door, nice looking door or perhaps a Grand Entrance Hall? ), Landscaping; ( dirt walkway, asphalt, cement, fancy brick or fine marble ) ( one hedge, sculpted hedges, flower pot, flower bed, hanging gardens, fountain, pond, mini-waterfall), Add a sound system to Parlor ( basic one which squawks, finer one, ultra supreme sound system )
Perhaps each new feature may boost ranking or perhaps ensure a certain level of luck, ie: each feature guarantee's maybe 1 or 2 luck, if some one has all features installed maybe thier luck would not drop below a certain point no matter what, I would guess if all features were purchased maybe the max would be 30 - 40% luck guaranteed.

hoping to make nice game better,
george

nieveseri
09-25-2002, 11:33 AM
How about adding an internet funeralquest league option where all the rt soft servers could share player scores and while youre at it they could share high scores...This way it would seem like one giant game.....Or add add a cross server instant message system to the game wouldnt that be awesome....also scenarios.....like Castle Quest,,,or Dragon Quest...hey that would be great and the interface would lend itself nicely......and then space quest.....yes you too can run a starship..........starquest.....and the list goes on really seth you have no limits to what you can do with this awesome game and the concept is great....How about a web based bbs designed around funeralquest...hey there are no limits Just dont sell it off....keep it and grow it...I love it....and so do my players.....

Nieveseri`s Castle (http://wp.scieron.com:12346) http://www.rtsoft.com/ib3/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/ghostface.gif

jjohn
09-25-2002, 12:44 PM
A few other ideas:
<ul>

Random acts of violence: Besides normal player on player violence, consider buglaries, vandalism and arson as random events that can occur while the player is logged off.

protection for hire: In L.O.R.D overnight shelter could be obtained in the Inn for a price. In FQ sources of protection could range police patrols (minimally effective), to alarm systems (more effective and can be purchased at DiMart) to hiring security personel (most effective, but not absolute protection).

Bribing the Church/Hospital: Nothing drives business your way like the personal testimonal from a trusted Priest or Doctor. Why not grease those palms? Heck, maybe Yang can be bribed to add a little too much MSG to his customer&#39;s dinners every now and again.

Advertisement: Funeral parlors advertise. What better way to spend all the loot finnagled out of grieving customers?

Law suits: For the very unlucky (and ruthlessly pushy) death management analyst, jilted customers can ban together in a class action lawsuit. Watch those coffins go out the door as an out-of-court settlement is reached.

The Dead Walk: While working late one night, the morgue isn&#39;t as quite as it normally is. Will the zombies wreck your parlor or can they be coerced into attacking a competitor? Where&#39;s the Priest when you need him?

Parlor Enhancements: A free parking lot for grievers can really help distinguish your parlor from the competition. What about a new sign or onning? Free wake catering from Yang&#39;s? DiMart: Your one stop shop when pop drops.

Open a Bank Account: While clanky bits of loose change make a pleasant sound on one&#39;s pockets, the bank is probably a safer place your loot. Of course, they&#39;ll charge you for the service.

Interactive Graveyard: In the town view, I&#39;d love to be able to visit the graveyard. I don&#39;t know if it would affect game play, but it sure would be fun. Maybe that&#39;s where a player can go for minigames?

Parlor Partnerships: When players unite into factions, the game turns into a something out of West Side Story.
[/list]

Hope some of these ideas resonate with you all.

jjohn
10-06-2002, 02:52 AM
Now that I&#39;ve been playing FQ for a bit, set up my own server and made a few mods, there are a few observations I&#39;d like to make about Funeral Quest. Your comments are kindly requested. If one of these ideas resonates with you, please post a "me too" message. If you&#39;ve got an improvement or a different suggestion, add that too. FQ is in BETA and I&#39;m sure Seth wants to hear some ideas from the peanut gallery. I believe FQ has a lot of potential that can be realized with community support.

From a players point of view:

FQ is, in many ways, a web port of the old BSS DOORS-style of games. Each player gets a limited number of turns per day. This makes perfect sense in the context of a BBS with a limited number of phone lines. Fortunately, FQ&#39;s protocol and limited turns makes the game lean enough to be comfortably hosted over a broadband connection (I have a DSL line from Verizon 640kb/120kb). Because of the limited turns, I can have my 15 minutes of FQ fun per day and then go on with my life. Yet it might be nice if there were other things a player could do after his turns are spent. Mini-adventures? Answering challenges? Perhaps the game itself can send logged off players taunting email.

Wouldn&#39;t it be cool if all the FQ servers could be messed together so that a player could seemless sneak into a new town (that is, server) and cause mayhem? At the very least, servers could be messed together in tournament mode to determine "regional sales champs."

The game play of FQ is simple enough.

<ul>
wait for a customer and haggle/browbeat
wait for a random event
wait for a risk
upgrade character stats (university)
upgrade turns (via dimart hearses)
assult other players
steal from other players
jinx other players (with Yang&#39;s deliveries)
[/list]

Did I miss something?

I find the player-on-player violence rather stimulating. It&#39;s more fun to beat a human than a computer, yet this aspect of the game is rather muted. Combat is very simple and I don&#39;t feel that I have that much control over it. Perhaps if
there were other methods of combat? I don&#39;t know.

Most of the players time is spent haggling with customers. For me, this gets monotonous. The negotiation is fairly straight forward once you know the customer&#39;s budget. Also, there are only two methods of breaking down a customer&#39;s resistence. It would be nice to have more control over the items in the hard/soft sell. It&#39;s a bummer to have the customer nearly at his limit and then have an expensive soft sell item break the deal. I don&#39;t have a good solution to this, although I suspect that players ought not to be able to see the customer&#39;s resistence. That way, the player has to pay closer attention to the customer&#39;s mood and responses to determine how much more crud to push.

Certainly interacting with customers and assulting competitors is the bread and butter of FQ. I would enjoy seeing the game play expanded. I want to feel like the time I&#39;ve invested in my parlor has made a difference. I would like the game to give me more visual cues to differentiate my parlor from those of other players&#39;.

My Mac and Linux friends aren&#39;t able to play FQ. The flash client doesn&#39;t appear to render correctly on anything by IE on win32 (even Mozilla 1.0 on win32 with the latest Flash and Shockwave plugins fails). The golden login box does not appear. Would it be possible to have a mostly functional client that only uses javascript and HTML? Sure it wouldn&#39;t be quite as slick as the flash client, but it still might be Good Enough.

From an admin point of view:

I would love to have a web interface to the admin screen. There are times when remote administration is very desirable. For freaks like me, having the logs write to disk would be great. I could write goofy perl scripts to munch the logs and publish the stats as an HTML page. Maybe there&#39;s stuff in the logs that mod writers could use? I don&#39;t know.

From a mod maker point of view:

Dink Smallwood is a mod-maker&#39;s game. While I don&#39;t think FQ can really support that level of robust scripting, it would be great to have more hooks into FQ. For instance, it would be great to control risks what bonuses risks give out. Want to gamble your hearse? Ok, but you might lose it. Then again, you might get your competitor&#39;s hearse. What if you get brain parasites from your clients and lose a psychology point? Want to paint your parlor blue? Want to write graffitti on other parlors? Want to script Father Smyth? Want to add doctors to the hospital? Create nutty neighbors that do the darnest things? Much of this can be accomplished by making risks more robust.

It would also be nice to create adventures for players that take them outside of the parlor for a while. These adventures may result in BP, luck, coffins, magic mortuary items, a new suit. This also suggests that new items can be scripted.

This all fits in with adventure games. For SimCity fans, it might be interesting to allow players to "empire build." This may include expanding cemetaries, inventing new embalming processes, making trade deals with other players and getting a chair in the Mortuary Science department at Deathsville U.

Thanks for reading.

ManaUser
10-15-2002, 05:53 PM
I haven&#39;t played in a while, but it seems to me the biggest thing lacking (and some post above touched on this) is an kind of adverting. All the action takes place after after the customers are at your door. It seems like getting the customers there is one of the most important parts of running a business. This could be word of mouth (a reason to be nicer to your customers) ads in the paper, a big sign or whatever. The most obvious effect this could have would be more turns, but maybe instead it should decrease the chance that no one shows up when you wait (it would have t be increased to start with) or increase the number of rich people.

bryce
10-22-2002, 09:04 PM
OK, this was brought up in the TLM forum. Where are the DUCKS??? Isn&#39;t that the rtsoft "thing?" I envision "you tripped over your pet duck. Lose 3 luck" or something like that, maybe "I saw the cute duck outside and had to come to YOUR funeral parlor. Earn 50 bp&#33;"

Of course, if you were feeling really twisted...
"Please, I need a funeral service for my duck."

http://www.rtsoft.com/ib3/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

jjohn
10-30-2002, 01:24 PM
Quick note: I manually created a "past winners" page for Tournament winners at Daisypark. It seems like a good incentive to draw players back into another tournament. Seth, any chance you can get the FQ server to do this (http://151.203.46.214:81/past_winners.html)?

For the next tournament, I&#39;m starting player&#39;s luck at 20 and reducing luck bonuses to 1. That will make risks more, er, risky.

Thanks.

Annie
11-07-2002, 01:12 PM
My wish is that unplayed turns and visits accumulated (particulrly in tourney mode), so that if someone had a life, and couldn&#39;t play every single day, at least they wouldn&#39;t be completely left behind. You wouldn&#39;t get the same benefits as if you had played on the day, but at least you could make up some of your lost earnings.

Currently there seems to be no point in playing at all unless you can play every single day, and some of the servers seem so slow that it takes over half an hour to get through your 30 turns. It&#39;s a shame, because I really enjoy the game.