PDA

View Full Version : Server Overload............Big Time

bacon1
04-16-2012, 02:22 AM
I was in the tavern today, and TP came in. He told me to look at the stats. The server load (at that time) was at 12.<something, I don't remember>. Then he told me it should be below 1 in order to not have lag. I had noticed some lag earlier in the day, but it wasn't that bad at the time. Then I started to notice that even the chat was lagging (it was taking ten or more seconds to appear). The server load was steadily climbing, and hit a maximum of 19.26 or so (that I saw). People kept getting disconnected in masses, and once you got back on, you could see the people online climb quickly as people came back. I tested a game, and there was a lot of lag on every function. Once, after losing connection, I even got a message that said the server was down. Something must have been wrong.

I do have screenshots of the server loads, but I'm suffering some technical difficulties getting them up. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to get 'em. :sweatdrop:

soccerfu
04-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Yeah Seth there are way to many players on now for just one sever. I think you should add a couple more severs because there are just to many players in the afternoons on at once. Say the max for one server would be 50 players. When the first one is full the second one opens for players to join. When that one gets full..... Well you know what happens. Yeah so that is my suggestion to you Seth.

bacon1
04-16-2012, 11:42 AM
I don't really know if it was caused by too many people though. At the time, online people fluctuated from 50 to 60. Later in the night, the load was back below one when 45 people were on. So there should have been a problem there.

truth
04-16-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't really know if it was caused by too many people though. At the time, online people fluctuated from 50 to 60. Later in the night, the load was back below one when 45 people were on. So there should have been a problem there.

I saw the server load peak at 22.58. There were 72 players on line. At around the same time as bacon1 is talking about.. Couldn't play. Chat. Or do anything. Don't know if this info is of any use 2 anyone. Hope it help.s though....

Junior
04-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Does anyone know what exactly those 3 numbers mean anyway? I gather that the higher the numbers the busier and slower the server is...

darkhawk
04-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Bacon btw it went up to like 22 when you left it just goes higher every time I check stats :prophet:

Seth
04-16-2012, 09:41 PM
The server that the Tanked server runs on is also shared with rtsoft.com, (including these forums) as well as codedojo.com and some other of my webpages. Sometimes they are slow for other reasons (like, processing logs, or we get a spike in traffic for some reason) and that can cause the slowdown - right now we have 52 people on and a load of 0.17 so it looks like it fixed itself. Loads over 1.0 mean something weird is going on and it generally fixes itself in a few minutes, but not always.

I'd like to move Tanked to its own server someday....

Here is what the three numbers mean when you do the /stats command:

<server load now> <server load average over the last minute> <server load average over the last 15 minutes>

Junior
04-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks Seth! Very interesting. Perhaps that will help reduce my lost connections and laggs, I'll just wait an play when the numbers are good. Like now:D

bacon1
04-16-2012, 09:49 PM
I saw the server load peak at 22.58. There were 72 players on line. At around the same time as bacon1 is talking about.. Couldn't play. Chat. Or do anything. Don't know if this info is of any use 2 anyone. Hope it help.s though....

That's probably right around the time I got the message the server was down. I must have already been disconnected when that happened....

bacon1
04-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks Seth! Very interesting. Perhaps that will help reduce my lost connections and laggs, I'll just wait an play when the numbers are good. Like now:D

That's exactly what TP said he does. He always checks the numbers, and if they're over one, he doesn't play.

bacon1
04-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I'd like to move Tanked to its own server someday....

Here is what the three numbers mean when you do the /stats command:

<server load now> <server load average over the last minute> <server load average over the last 15 minutes>

Moving it to its own server would be nice.....

And I thought the numbers were close to that ( I thought it was: last minute, last 10 minutes, last 15 minutes, so pretty close), so I had the same idea there. Basically, if the numbers are high, gameplay will be spoiled.