PDA

View Full Version : OS X

mrbrown
02-26-2004, 07:25 AM
Hey Seth,
Any chance we'll see any games ported over to OS X?

Seth
02-27-2004, 06:57 AM
Well, I've got no plans to get a mac and most of my stuff wouldn't be easy to port but sure, maybe someday.

Someone will probably port Dink to the mac though.

03-03-2004, 03:21 AM
Seth,

I've always loved your games, esp. Dink and FQ, which is a riot. The others look really good, too, but I'm a Mac loyalist, despite my brief stint with a PC, during which I discovered Dink.

RTSoft is one of the few companies which seems to completely ignore Macintosh users, despite otherwise being a quality software producer.

I'd like to buy your games, and would in a heartbeat if I could use them, because I'm aware of RTSoft's innovative nature. However, I can't right now, and unless I break down and get Virtual PC, or something, probably won't.

It's disappointing. I'm sure a lot of other Mac users feel the same way. You'll be losing a lot of business from the Mac community.

-Robert Banks

mrbrown
03-05-2004, 07:46 AM
I can see Dink being ported to OS X, but seeing as how MacDX (a sort of port of DirectX) costs moola... I don't see this happening anytime soon. :-(

redink1
03-05-2004, 10:19 PM
The Dink Project already (sort-of) converted the Dink engine to SDL, and it was working on Linux. Not very good, mind you... there was an odd bug where the game would crash at the first bridge screen. And I could never get it to run at all.

And as SDL works with MacOS Classic and X, I would imagine it wouldn't take too much work to compile them for Mac and fix the above bugs.

mrbrown
03-08-2004, 08:52 AM
I guess I'll just have to wait for damn Microsoft to release Virtual PC 7 to play Dink on my G5. :-P

03-09-2004, 04:29 AM
mrbrown,

I, the administrator of Windemere (Formerly known as The Dink Project), do not at all suggest getting Dink running for OSX, and not just because I don't like OSX. http://www.rtsoft.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif. There are several windows-specific features in the SDL-version of Dink (especially FastFile), and while it works in Linux, I highly doubt it would work on OSX due to specific memory mappings, not to mention the Little Endinan/Big Endian problems (it only worked on x86 Linux).

We have started writing a new engine from scratch (website here: Windemere (http://dink.sourceforge.net)) and this should be very easy to convert as it is written with platform independence in mind. The current libraries Windemere uses are SDL (input and event processing), OpenGL (graphics), FMOD (audio), FreeType (fonts), Bzip2 (compression routines), and DevIL (image rendering), all open-source libraries (with the possible exception of OpenGL, but that is readily available).

The estimated release for this project is 30 April, which includes the editor (uses wxWidgets). We are currently in Milestone VII of the project with Sprite Rendering and Sprite Control being the main goals. I'm working ahead of the other members on both the Editor and Brains (Seth, your brain functions are absolutely HORRID!!! http://www.rtsoft.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/Oo.gif). So far, the project has reused absolutely NONE of Seth's original code.

mrbrown, for more information on the project, please feel free to contact me at aerea@users.sourceforge.net. In fact, please do; I may need you as a beta tester for OSX.

--Andrew

(Wow, that sounded like a recorded telemarketer message)