View Full Version : Build time is looooong :(

08-13-2012, 08:24 AM
So I chucked all my Irrlicht code into the RT3DApp and renamed some bits and on Windows I found that sometimes it was building a lot more code than seemed necessary... I'd make a small change to my personal code and then a load of the shared code would apparently need rebuilding... seemed a bit odd...

Then I moved onto iOS to get everything working there and did the same sort of thing; stuck all my code and resources into the RT3DApp XCode project and renamed some things to make it reflect my game rather than RT3DApp. And I find that building the code and running it and then making no code changes and hitting build & run again results in a complete rebuild of the whole project...

Obviously that's a huuuuge drain on my time and patience having to sit through 248 files being rebuilt when absolutely nothing has changed...

Any ideas why this might happen? I guess maybe my fiddling with the project settings and renaming things could have caused some incremental build files to get ignored or something..? It makes me a very sad panda :(

Aki Koskinen
08-13-2012, 02:25 PM
I don't know about the Windows project files but at least the iOS projects for XCode seem to be smart enough so they only build what is necessary. Changes on some very central files (e.g. App.h, BaseApp.h, PlatformEnums.h) cause basically a complete rebuild. But if you change say your GameLogic.cpp (or whatever internal files you have for your game) it shouldn't trigger unnecessary recompilations.

If this is not the case and you do experience complete rebuilds no matter what file you change, then there is something fishy with the project setup. It doesn't have to be like that, there is nothing in Proton that would require such behaviour.

But with the given information I can't help more than this for now.

08-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Yeah I don't even have to make any changes to any file at all and running it requires a full rebuild... very unproductive. I figured it wasn't a Proton thing, rather something I've done myself... probably me half changing variables in the project settings or something... I might try starting afresh...