PDA

View Full Version : Some suggestions for Funeral Quest

Dan
07-20-2003, 10:58 AM
Hi, I was just thinking of some of the things in Funeral Quest's general game dynamic which could use some improving:

For a start, the fact that the top three ranked parlour owners get bonusses every turn is pointless and merely creates a further divide between them and the other competitors. I think the top seller of the day bonus is great by all means, but this one could use some re-thinking.

Secondly, the special event which gives you the option to key an opponent's hearse. This provides a lower win/loss money than the other events, AND takes a lockpick- it just seems nonsensical and unfair to me, and would be the least valued special event.

Also, the steal option seems pretty useless to me at the moment, as players inevitable get safes within the first couple of days- maybe a "thieving" skill could be introduced, or alternatively, your luck could come into play against your opponent's luck. Of course for that to work, it would have to be harder to get luck from sending Yang's to your friends. Maybe a complete overhaul of the luck system is in order, perhaps a change so that luck can only be gained through being the top, second highest and third highest seller of the day, or through very rare special events.

Finally, it would be nice if the selling process was a bit more complex because, while it is good now, it is limited into a few different approaches depending on the customer's class, resistance and mood. Also, a "leave" button should be added if a player goes to someone else's house in the hope of stealing and find that they have a safe. Finally, I really liked the "good" and "evil" affiliations with the church and graveyard respectively idea that I saw posted earlier, and would love for the book of deeds to have some more functionality.

They're only suggestions, but I hope that some of them are good.

jjohn
07-20-2003, 01:31 PM
Nice suggestions.

Quote[/b] (Dan @ July 20 2003,6:58)]
For a start, the fact that the top three ranked parlour owners get bonusses every turn is pointless and merely creates a further divide between them and the other competitors. I think the top seller of the day bonus is great by all means, but this one could use some re-thinking.

This is a perennial gripe and with good cause. On daisypark, I've added a "black cat" event which removes 1/5 of the luck from players that have over 75 luck. This is like a tax on the rich. I think it works pretty well at keeping the game interesting. I don't have a solution for the BP bonus, but it is pretty minor as I recall.

Quote[/b] ]
Secondly, the special event which gives you the option to key an opponent's hearse. This provides a lower win/loss money than the other events, AND takes a lockpick- it just seems nonsensical and unfair to me, and would be the least valued special event.

That's a scripted event that redink1 created based on an old event that I made. It's not part of stock FQ.

Quote[/b] ]
Also, the steal option seems pretty useless to me at the moment, as players inevitable get safes within the first couple of days- maybe a "thieving" skill could be introduced, or alternatively, your luck could come into play against your opponent's luck. Of course for that to work, it would have to be harder to get luck from sending Yang's to your friends. Maybe a complete overhaul of the luck system is in order, perhaps a change so that luck can only be gained through being the top, second highest and third highest seller of the day, or through very rare special events.

I tend not to buy safes until I ready to save money. Early in the game, I'm usually broke by the end of the day. Safes also protect the "plots" score, I think, which affects who gets first strike in combat. I don't steal, I attack. It's better to get the BP and some tags then just tags. Remember: the players are Morticians, not professional theives.

Quote[/b] ]
Finally, it would be nice if the selling process was a bit more complex because, while it is good now, it is limited into a few different approaches depending on the customer's class, resistance and mood.

There is indeed a certain monotony to haggling. Someone suggested that the haggling be scriptable so that the players needn't bother with that drudgery. Unfortunately, the heart of FQ is the Sale so I think scripting the process is unlikely to make the game more fun. I also think the process is complicated enough. The point is that haggling isn't all that much fun. Perhaps a new diminsion is needed for to flesh out FQ. I don't have any solid ideas what that may be, but here are some thoughts:

<ul>
Prepping the corpses: This is what morticians do most of the time anyway. Perhaps less skilled morticians take longer to do this than more seasoned pros. Perhaps they are more likely to botch the job. Maybe players are awarded BP only after they have successfully embalmed the corpse?
Morty the Vampire Slayer: Add an RPG element to the game by populating the grave yard with undead. For the sake of his reputation (i.e. providing eternal rest for the departed), the player needs to put down the hellish uprising in his back yard. Such activity could have BP, tags and luck bonuses.
Union Warfare: perhaps on each server, players can group themselves into Mortician unions and attack other groups for BP and some portion of tags. Bonuses and penalities are awarded to entire unions, so that if a member of you union gets decked, you lose some BP (although not as much as the mortician who was attacked).
[/list]

Quote[/b] ]Also, a "leave" button should be added if a player goes to someone else&#39;s house in the hope of stealing and find that they have a safe.

I assume you mean that you don&#39;t what to lose one of your visits? I agree. I would also not like to lose a visit when I go to a locked parlor without a lockpick. :-/

Quote[/b] ]Finally, I really liked the "good" and "evil" affiliations with the church and graveyard respectively idea that I saw posted earlier, and would love for the book of deeds to have some more functionality.

I think the good v. evil idea needs more thought. FQ isn&#39;t an RPG, but perhaps it should be closer to one for non-tournament games. What exactly would you like the book of deeds to do?

Dan
07-21-2003, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback- I liked your ideas aswell.

I guess I had seen that luck event on a lot of servers, so I had assumed it came as part of stock-standard funeral quest. I haven&#39;t played in a server with that black cat event yet, but it sounds like a good balance to me.

When you said you don&#39;t steal, you fight- that&#39;s precisely my point- no-one uses steal because it is practically useless as it is, and made redundant when the target buys a safe. While the players aren&#39;t thieves, nor are they professional thugs, and thievery seems to complement the dark and shady mood of funeral quest as much as bashing people does.

When I talked about the book of deeds, I really meant I would like to see it&#39;s contents have some meaning, rather than just listing the top-selling player in a way that implies that they can trigger a special event ie "There is a glimmer of hope in so and so, but they have a way to go yet".

Maybe the good vs. evil thing could be a minor, side aspect of the game- it would be nice if your choice in special events slowly turned you one way or the other, but choosing the "risk" option would have to be made more appealing to those with low luck, and choosing the "safe" option more appealing to those with high luck.