PDA

View Full Version : Question about running this for the web from my PC

09-05-2003, 12:35 AM
Hey all. I'm just wondering if I could run Funeral Quest on my desktop PC with Windows XP Professional - and somehow connect it with my website which is hosted on another server at another location. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance...

Sal

Seth
09-05-2003, 02:22 AM
Yes, in fact, this is the recommended way, and just having a link from your website to your FQ server which runs locally.

outsider
10-07-2003, 02:39 PM
I was also toying with the idea of starting a FQ server. Right now, I only have 1 cpu to use for it, & its the same one my family uses to surf the net.Even worse, I play multiplayer online games such as Quake3 & Unreal Tourney. Any ideas how horribly, normal internet usage would affect the server as far as using the resources? Then add in that maybe 1-2 hours a night the cpu would be used for online battles in a first person shooter. Dont really care about it affecting my ping when playing, more just if it would likely cause the server to be horribly slow for the players on FQ. All is not lost if this doesnt seem like a good setup, as I plan on getting a new cpu around the 1st of the year, & the current one could be dedicated to FQ.
Heres a little more info of my setup in case its needed:
1.4 GHz P4 128 meg 800mhz RDRAM
64 meg video card 4x AGP
Cable modem restricted to 13kbs upload download unlimited
Windows ME.
Opinions appreciated.
outsider

jjohn
10-08-2003, 01:08 AM
Quote[/b] (outsider @ Oct. 07 2003,10:39)]I was also toying with the idea of starting a FQ server. Right now, I only have 1 cpu to use for it, & its the same one my family uses to surf the net.Even worse, I play multiplayer online games such as Quake3 & Unreal Tourney. Any ideas how horribly, normal internet usage would affect the server as far as using the resources? Then add in that maybe 1-2 hours a night the cpu would be used for online battles in a first person shooter. Dont really care about it affecting my ping when playing, more just if it would likely cause the server to be horribly slow for the players on FQ. All is not lost if this doesnt seem like a good setup, as I plan on getting a new cpu around the 1st of the year, & the current one could be dedicated to FQ.
Heres a little more info of my setup in case its needed:
1.4 GHz P4 128 meg 800mhz RDRAM
64 meg video card 4x AGP
Cable modem restricted to 13kbs upload download unlimited
Windows ME.
Opinions appreciated.
outsider
A few things:

1) Your upstream bandwidth is probably a bit constrained. I ran daisypark from my DSL line that has a 64Kb upstream connection, which is awful. YMMV

2) Yes, the FQ traffic will affect the quality of service for non-FQ related activities.

3) If you can't dedicate a machine to FQ, you might consider creating a Win XP virtual machine with VMWare to run the game. This will isolate FQ from your host machine and make it easier to move FQ to a new machine if you need to. Currently, daisypark runs FQ on a Win98 VM on a linux box running VMware.

4) You should consider adding at least another 128M of RAM to the machine. It's cheap enough to do so these days.

Maddnet
10-15-2003, 04:29 PM
Your biggest thing is your upstream, Iam running maddnet on its own 1.5mb up/4mb down DSL connection, and the mirror is a 2mb up/6mb down cable connection.... just to handle the traffic of it at times...

As for the system, i found a fast harddrive and lots of ram helps with however is not nessesary...at the start i was running it on a 400mhz pentium system with 256megs of ram.. when that system went down i put it on a pII/233 - 128megs of ram (which people were saying it was running faster on..) and now i have it on its running on a athlon 1.2/2 gigs ram...